• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In November (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elwes

127 hours
HP7
Love and Other Drugs
The Kings Speech
Tangled (after the crowds die down)
Skyline
Faster
Due Date (after I've seen everything else...was not a fan of The Hangover)

I get in for free at my old movie theater because I know the managers. I dread the day those people decide to move on from that place. :(

elwes said:
127 hours
HP7
Love and Other Drugs
The Kings Speech
Tangled (after the crowds die down)
Skyline
Faster
Due Date (after I've seen everything else...was not a fan of The Hangover)

I get in for free at my old movie theater because I know the managers. I dread the day those people decide to move on from that place. :(

I wish I could see this many movies at the theaters but nobody I know (including the gf) is as a big of a fan as I am :(

Belfast

I don't care how good it is, pretty much nothing could get me to go see 127 Hours. Not even Franco. I think it's because it's one of those films that I don't feel is going to surprise me at all, and expect to tug on my heart strings. And, frankly, that kind of bores me.

I feel like I could watch some Extreme Videos show or one of those programs on Discovery like I Shouldn't Be Alive and get roughly the same, or better, effect out of it.

Belfast said:
I don't care how good it is

That is a very silly line of reasoning. What if its so good that it doesn't do those things that you worry it does or, if it does those things, makes up for them in 100 other ways? You'll never know.

Belfast said:
I don't care how good it is, pretty much nothing could get me to go see 127 Hours. Not even Franco. I think it's because it's one of those films that I don't feel is going to surprise me at all, and expect to tug on my heart strings. And, frankly, that kind of bores me.

I feel like I could watch some Extreme Videos show or one of those programs on Discovery like I Shouldn't Be Alive and get roughly the same, or better, effect out of it.

so, you didn't see The Social Network because it was just about Facebook?

Belfast said:

You've never enjoyed a single film based on historical events, then? I don't really understand why knowing the story makes it less enjoyable to see. The way a story is told is, really, even more important than what that story is.

Anyway, I'll be seeing quite a few films this month. Mostly the same ones that everyone else plans on seeing. And I'm in Love and Other Drugs. It was a pretty fun shoot. :D

Just saw Love And Other Drugs last night at the premiere and holy shit was it good. Surpassed my already lofty expectations and is Zwick's best flick to date IMO. Saw Anne Hathaway at the afterparty and all I have to say is:

dat_ass.jpg

polyh3dron said:
Just saw Love And Other Drugs last night at the premiere and holy shit was it good. Surpassed my already lofty expectations and is Zwick's best flick to date IMO. Saw Anne Hathaway at the afterparty and all I have to say is:

Nice! I can't wait to see it. Oscar contender or no?

Also, go see Next Three Days, it's good.

It's funny, three flicks, all shot in Pittsburgh are coming out this month.

Love and Other Drugs
Unstoppable
Next Three Days

GAF: They are having NATIONWIDE Unstoppable sneak peeks tomorrow night. I'm going to mine.

polyh3dron said:
Also, go see Next Three Days, it's good.

It's funny, three flicks, all shot in Pittsburgh are coming out this month.

Love and Other Drugs
Unstoppable
Next Three Days

Whoa, Next Three Days was actually good? It looks so generic.

lol avatar quote that shit somebody!

Pretty hyped to see Fair Game and King's Speech right now. Four Lions finally gets a damn release in the NA.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
poly is related to Haggis or some shit, we know.
And his mom edited it.
Maybe the movie is awesome, and there's nothing wrong with promoting stuff by your family, but you know.
Yes, I'm an asshole.

Krev said:
And his mom edited it.
Maybe the movie is awesome, and there's nothing wrong with promoting stuff by your family, but you know.
Yes, I'm an asshole.

Poly's mom is Jo Francis? That's fucking awesome.

2d2fyw3.png

mr stroke

CaptYamato said:
Love and Other Drugs looks really good. So probably that. I will watch it alone though.

+1

Sometime about this movie that looks hot, maybe its Hathaways smile or Jake's beard?
Its generally something(Rom Com) I am never excited for, but I can't wait to see it

vitaminwateryum said:
Was super excited to see 127 hours this weekend and then realized that apparently it's only at 4 theaters at the moment :(

My writer in Jamaica got it though. Fucking Fox Searchlight. :lol

Ecto311

Due date and potter look like the only things worth a fuck. The rest looks boring or girlflickish for me. Also I will be very excited when the days of computer generated kids movies actually look like they have soul and not generic bullshit.

WTFing said:
Is there 10 really great movies since 2000? Just 10. Please remind me.

Yes, quite a few.

Ecto311 said:
Due date and potter look like the only things worth a fuck. The rest looks boring or girlflickish for me. Also I will be very excited when the days of computer generated kids movies actually look like they have soul and not generic bullshit.

Do you mean you would rather have 2D? Because you certainly can't say that without having see TS3 or HTTYD this year.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
WTFing said:
Is there 10 really great movies since 2000? Just 10. Please remind me.
The New World
Mulholland Drive
Punch-Drunk Love
Speed Racer
Miami Vice
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
A History of Violence
The Royal Tenenbaums
Ratatouille
The Incredibles

Those are just the first 10 Hollywood studio films that came to mind.
There's plenty of great movies out there.
Ecto311 said:
Also I will be very excited when the days of computer generated kids movies actually look like they have soul and not generic bullshit.
I've heard that Rapunzel Tangled is quite a throwback to the old Disney 2D films, and marketing have tried really hard to misrepresent it.

Ecto311

I'm talking about the 3d models and look. All of the computer generated movies look the same recently and its getting generic and boring fast.

saw Unstoppable tonight. Pretty damn average. Terrible characters, the train has better development. A few intense scenes, but some overly serious Scott that I hate.

I'm only interested in 127 Hours, but I know I'll be seeing HP. I hate David Yates and was suckered into seeing that last two films and I know it will happen again, probably around Thanksgiving. The Half-Blood Prince could have been so much better.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HiResDes said:
A History of Violence really isn't all that great.

I liked it. There was a certain... staccato tempo or strange suddenness to the movie's brutality that made it unusually realistic to me. A little while later when I watched Caché, the violent scene gave me the same feeling. Taken, while totally ridiculous, had the same feeling to the final action scene.

That wasn't explained well... uh... a lot of movies do scenes of violence in a drawn out, faux-epic, Hollywood way. My experience with real life violence (or anger, really) is that it tends to be much quicker, much less flashy... and AHoV felt like that.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Discotheque said:
Nah it's pretty good. Eastern Promises is better though.
A History of Violence came to mind first :p

Stumpokapow said:
I liked it. There was a certain... staccato tempo or strange suddenness to the movie's brutality that made it unusually realistic to me. A little while later when I watched Caché, the violent scene gave me the same feeling. Taken, while totally ridiculous, had the same feeling to the final action scene.

That wasn't explained well... uh... a lot of movies do scenes of violence in a drawn out, faux-epic, Hollywood way. My experience with real life violence (or anger, really) is that it tends to be much quicker, much less flashy... and AHoV felt like that.
I agree, but I also felt that AHoV was totally ridiculous (in a good way) in how it contrasted cliched, movie gangster characters with very sudden and brutal violence. I mean, that scene at the end...my god, man. :lol
AHoV is obviously about violence and family and responsbility, but it's also about movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom