• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In November (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
arnoldocastillo2003 said:
What!!!! Tropa Elite 2 is old, I saw it months ago WTF? can someone explain me why is it out until november?

Read what I wrote :)

It isn't coming to US theaters (what the list is based on every month for two years) until this month.

Robot 492

Banned
My Week with Marilyn
The Muppets
A Dangerous Method
The Artist
Elite Squad 2
Tyrannosaur
Hugo
The Descendants
J. Edgar

I already saw and enjoyed Melancholia.
Oh, and then there are these movies that are just opening near me that I still want to check out - Martha Marcy May Marlene, Take Shelter, The Skin I Live In.

nilbog21

Banned
dangerous_method.jpg

abyss.jpg

j_edgar.jpg

Although, its like 22.50$ to see a movie with my girlfriend lmfao what the fuck have we come to

I hated it, but everyone else seems to love it and it is getting a limited one-week release on Nov. 23rd.

Oren Moverman's The Messenger follow-up Rampart starring Woody Harrelson

rampart01.jpg

Also, for the love of god avoid The Son of No One. Limited release this week and it is just atrocious.

faridmon

Holy crap! Tyrannosaur and Melancholia have been out for a while in UK and I haven't even bothered to watch them. Damn it Expandable, you are either too early for reccomendation or late.

I'll see if I can watch Tyrannosaur in some Cinema, at least.

faridmon said:
Holy crap! Tyrannosaur and Melancholia have been out for a while in UK and I haven't even bothered to watch them. Damn it Expandable, you are either too early for reccomendation or late.

I'll see if I can watch Tyrannosaur in some Cinema, at least.

I go by US releases, so although we saw Tyrannosaur 10 months ago at Sundance it is finally getting a limited release here. Same with Melancholia. Saw the Cannes premiere 5 months ago, but it is just now hitting US theaters.

A lot of the independent films take quite some time to finally get releases.

faridmon

Expendable. said:
I go by US releases, so although we saw Tyrannosaur 10 months ago at Sundance it is finally getting a limited release here. Same with Melancholia. Saw the Cannes premiere 5 months ago, but it is just now hitting US theaters.

A lot of the independent films take quite some time to finally get releases.
Just a joke! But yeah, we either get some movies too damn early or too damn late. unless they are rubbish.

Futureman said:
Does the OP work for the Filmstage, or does someone just copy their article every month and post it on here??

I'm the CEO/Editor-in-Chief of The Film Stage and glad to share the article here every month in its entirety for further discussion.

Futureman said:
Does the OP work for the Filmstage, or does someone just copy their article every month and post it on here??
Every thread Plainview/Expendable makes has at least 1 FilmStage link in it. Clicks = Money.

andycapps

I'm not sure I'll even have time to see any of them in the theater, but I'm interested in seeing The Elite Squad, The Descendants, and My Week with Marilyn.

The Interrobanger said:
Every thread Plainview/Expendable makes has at least 1 FilmStage link in it. Clicks = Money.

I've removed all trailer links from now on here and the rest of my post in threads are original content and/or alternatives to official trailer links. Huzzah!

overcast

Harold and Kumar (You've seen it Expendable?). First one was a classic, and the 2nd was also hilarious.
The Descendants. Looks pretty damn good, love Clooney and loved Sideways. So this right up my alley.

Other than that nothing, really disappointed in those Dangerous Method reviews. Not so sure about Hugo.

overcast said:
Harold and Kumar (You've seen it Expendable?). First one was a classic, and the 2nd was also hilarious.

Yeah, it is extremely dumb as expected but I laughed a good amount. It wasn't really the big gags that got me, more about some of the banter and small delivery.

Platy

I just want to say that calling Elite Squad an "Action Movie" may give the wrong impression here ... but then again, if you are going to see this you probably saw the first and know that most of the movie is plot, not blowing up stuff =P

overcast

Expendable. said:
Yeah, it is extremely dumb as expected but I laughed a good amount. It wasn't really the big gags that got me, more about some of the banter and small delivery.
That sounds like Harold and Kumar, good to know.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointed the movie called Tyrannosaur with 90% is not about dinosaurs.

Fallout-NL said:
8 bucks huh?

I was paying 12 all over the States when I was there this summer.

Yeah, I don't really see the effect here in NYC. Most regular films are $13-14 and you are talking $18 or so for 3D.

Jtwo said:
Disappointed the movie called Tyrannosaur with 90% is not about dinosaurs.
Aha.

Yeah I have a love hate relationship with these threads.
Love because I find out about films I would never have seen (like Drive)

Hate because being in the UK we never ever ever ever seem to match up date wise so I see stuff thats been out for four months or stuff that not out for another three sometimes!

I plan to see The Rum Diarys (out today) Imortals and probably a few others ive not decided on.

Expendable. said:
Yeah, I don't really see the effect here in NYC. Most regular films are $13-14 and you are talking $18 or so for 3D.

Yeah, makes you wonder where they're getting this kind of average from.

Cosmic Bus said:
I might be at Skin tonight, too. :)

Wife and I are going to the 4:35 matinee today at the Egyptian. I love Almodovar soooo much, but she's been having a tough time handling brutal violence since getting pregnant. Hopefully the film isn't too much for her.

distantmantra said:
The Skin I Live In and 3 both start in Seattle today. Seeing Skin tonight and hopefully 3 on Sunday.

Ah, The Skin I Live In is so freaking good. Need to see Tywker's 3 even thought I haven't heard the best of things.

_dementia said:
I heard Melancholia starts out good but then fizzles out. Any truth to that?

I felt the exact opposite. I was pretty unengaged the first hour then it really picks up and I ended up kind of loving it.

It MUST be seen in a theater though to have the same effect, can't imagine watching it on VOD.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
_dementia said:
I heard Melancholia starts out good but then fizzles out. Any truth to that?

I felt it was the opposite: beginnings are slow, a bit off-putting. Second half knocks it out of the park.

distantmantra said:
Wife and I are going to the 4:35 matinee today at the Egyptian. I love Almodovar soooo much, but she's been having a tough time handling brutal violence since getting pregnant. Hopefully the film isn't too much for her.

Hm, maybe I'll actually get myself over there for the matinee! Surprisingly, this is going to be my first Almodovar in a theater.

Cosmic Bus said:
Surprisingly, this is going to be my first Almodovar in a theater.

My first Almodovar in the theater was All About My Mother back in 1999. Caught every single one (either at the Harvard Exit or Egyptian) since then.

drkOne

I've been meaning to ask this for some months already...
Do you have an up to date RSS feed for your site? Would love to subscribe.

TrumanBurbank said:
Any word on whether Immortals is any good? Haven't seen any buzz for it...good or bad.

I've heard it is completely middle-of-the-road. Not good, not bad. Then again, I wonder if people are just expecting 300 as it is selling. But very little press screenings isn't always a good sign.

drkOne said:
I've been meaning to ask this for some months already...
Do you have an up to date RSS feed for your site? Would love to subscribe.

Nice! RSS Feed - http://feeds.feedburner.com/thefilmstage

CyReN said:
J. Edgar not in Top 10?..

Yeah, and even less excited after last night's reviews.

Blader

I'm not totally psyched about J. Edgar, but at the very least Leo's performance has been very well-received. Going to a screening on Monday, so even if it's awful at least I won't be out any money for it. :lol

1st BO:

Weak Box Office: ‘Harold & Kumar’ Franchise Best $550K Midnights, ‘Tower Heist’ $85K

FRIDAY AM: Hollywood studios are worried that the recent box office slump in North America will hurt what is supposed to be a big weekend kicking off the holiday movie season. Already executives are looking for less. Insiders tell me that Universal’s Tower Heist opened with $85K in midnight shows. What was once thought a sure-thing $35+M first weekend is now projected around $30M for the R-rated action comedy directed by Brett Ratner and starring Eddie Murphy and Ben Stiller. But any double-digit number with a ’3′ in front of it is reason to celebrate in these days of lowered expectations as young males generally keep away from multiplexes since August. ”Tower Heist looks good. Got big break when Puss In Boots moved up,” a source tells me about the Oceans Eleven-style heist movie intended to appeal more to adults. DreamWorks Animation’s Puss In Boots distributed by Paramount will have very good hold off last Friday’s/Saturday’s snowstorm and funky Halloween weekend with a $25M outcome for #2. New Line/Warner Bros’ low-budget A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas debuted after midnight in 1,000 locations for $550K which is a franchise best. It opens wide today in 2,875 runs with 2,943 3D screens and expectations are for a $19M finish which, again, is a gift in these soft attendance times. No other pic even cracks $7M this weekend.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
distantmantra said:
The Skin I Live In was fantastic. Even though it's based on a novel, it very much felt like an Almodovar creation.

I was somewhat disappointed with it. Hard for me to explain, but even though it felt like an Almodovar film structurally and visually, the tone was so distinctly against what I generally come to expect from him that it nearly lost me a few times. There was so little warmth and emotion of his latter work, and the wry, outlandish humor from his earlier period seemed to be warped into something more perverse and salacious -- which, I suppose, was the intent, but it was still off-putting to me.

Not a bad movie at all, just substantially different than what I had hoped for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom