• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In October (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JayDub said:
Its a light hearted comedy set in the english country side.

Please elaborate.
It's not commercially viable and these films only exist because a small group of people in charge over at the UK Film Council prefer them. I'm one of many people who will be glad when the UKFC is gone.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
A couple of those movies look interesting, and ditto on watching The Expendables again, what a movie...

Monsters, It's Kind of a Funny Story, Hereafter, Catfish, Buried, The Social Network, and Never Let Me Go for this month. Tons films up in this. The Company Men on DVD probably.

Carnby

Freakanomics looks boring as hell. how did it get on the list?

where is Saw 3D? yeah, i said it!

KHarvey16

Buttonbasher said:
Monsters, It's Kind of a Funny Story, Hereafter, Catfish, Buried, The Social Network, and Never Let Me Go for this month. Tons films up in this. The Company Men on DVD probably.

Catfish is an interesting one. I enjoyed it a lot and would recommend it if nothing else as something to have a decent conversation about. Many different takes on it.

Wes

venison crêpe
After hearing Mark Kermode's review, I might actually see Made In Dagenham this month too. Maybe it's not such a bad month after all.

Green Scar said:
They financed In the Loop, they can do whatever the fuck they want
Not now that the UK government has disbanded them they can't. The UKFC only supported existing and established filmmakers who never really needed their help in the first place.

Hollywood finances commercial UK films and takes all the profit. We have no actual independent movie industry in this country, the only thing we get are quaint introspective movies that never sell overseas.

jaekwon15 said:
Freakanomics looks boring as hell. how did it get on the list?

where is Saw 3D? yeah, i said it!

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I don't care how many people praise it, The Social Network looks fucking retarded. "Oh, I'm a visionary, I'm describing everything that's going to happen with my fluke success website before it happens, oh I see it all coming with my youthful verve, I'm taking on the fuddy duddies" UGH.

Napoleonthechimp said:
Not now that the UK government has disbanded them they can't. The UKFC only supported existing and established filmmakers who never really needed their help in the first place.

Hollywood finances commercial UK films and takes all the profit. We have no actual independent movie industry in this country, the only thing we get are quaint introspective movies that never sell overseas.

Well... great. :/ Whatever, we always suited TV better anyway.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll probably see Jackoff 3-D. I'm not even that into the show or movies but it sounds like a fun experience, will get stoned beforehand.

LiveFromKyoto said:
I don't care how many people praise it, The Social Network looks fucking retarded. "Oh, I'm a visionary, I'm describing everything that's going to happen with my fluke success website before it happens, oh I see it all coming with my youthful verve, I'm taking on the fuddy duddies" UGH.

I take it you've actually seen it?

Carnby

Expendable. said:

:lol I'm very serious.

"there is a thin line between financiers and criminals."

"what about journalist?"

"there is no line."

"har har har har!"

yikes at The New Yorker cartoon humor.

LiveFromKyoto said:

I haven't even seen that, but I know for a fact that it's nothing like that at all. Hell, even the TRAILER doesn't make it look like that. Jesus christ, talk about bias.

jaekwon15 said:
:lol I'm very serious.

"there is a thin line between financiers and criminals."

"what about journalist?"

"there is no line."

"har har har har!"

yikes at The New Yorker cartoon humor.
Well, to answer the question then it got on the list because the book is fascinating and it comes from the top documentarians in the world.

.la1n

Let Me In, Red, and Buried are definites. Have no interest what so ever in seeing The Social Network regardless of reviews, strange because usually i'm willing to give ANY movie atleast a single viewing chance.

Carnby

Expendable. said:
Well, to answer the question then it got on the list because the book is fascinating and it comes from the top documentarians in the world.

i did enjoy Jesus Camp. (seriously.)

edit: so what about Saw 3D? Saw fans are highly anticipating this one for a few reasons.
1) it is the last one. 2) it was filmed in proper 3D and 3) it stars Cary Elwes, who was not scene since part 1.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I haven't even seen that, but I know for a fact that it's nothing like that at all. Hell, even the TRAILER doesn't make it look like that. Jesus christ, talk about bias.

I've only seen the trailer. The trailer makes it look exactly like that. I practically just summarized it.

You know what else I've decided I'm never going to watch? Toy Story 3. Put that in your metacritic and smoke it!

90oxll.jpg

MU HA HA

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I will probably see like 10 movies this month since I have a steady job now. Catch up with The Town, Catfish, Dogtooth, Enter the Void, Life During Wartime, Never Let Me Go among some others and then watch The Social Network, Let Me In, Monsters, Strange Powers, and some other things.

Amir0x

Banned
Saw Monsters on In Demand, it was fucking terrible.

Saw Social Network (good, but not my favorite film of the year) and seeing Let Me In next week sometime.

Not really interested in anything else this month

Saw Let Me In last night. I enjoyed it quite a lot, as its own movie and in comparison to Let the Right One In, and my friend actually felt it superior to the original. I felt it was like a more direct version of it even though it's very similar to the original. Will check it out again on Bluray.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I saw "Kind of a Funny Story" and I think that a lot of critics are off base with it. I don't think they're wrong, but they're right for the wrong reasons. I heard 3 Chicago guys on the radio going off about how it just wasn't funny, but it wasn't supposed to be funny. Quirky? Yes.

The movie is basically an example of why you need someone to punch the writer/director in the balls and not let them be surrounded by "Yes Men." There are sooo many examples of things in this movie that should have been done differently, and if so could have been done well. Right away I think of the Queen montage... I get that you want to show a music scene, but by letting that play out for the ENTIRE SONG you kill any momentum at all in the film. Very rough.

A few other thoughts:
-I thought Galifiniakis' acting was awesome. I was stunned at some of his scenes.
-Jim Gaffigan was completely wasted in this role. Could have been awesome for him. That beginning scene where the
kid is about to jump off the bridge
and Gaffigan just starts asking about the bike? I laughed my ass off.
-Totally disjointed interactions with other teenagers. It's like it was written by someone pretending to know how teenagers interact.

I dunno. I don't think the film is "bad" but it certainly isn't anywhere near what I was hoping it would be. 4.5/10.

okno

Going to see I Spit On Your Grave either tomorrow or Tuesday. Really excited for that.

I need to go see Never Let Me Go. Loved the book, hopefully I'll love the movie, but I'm going in with low expectations.

Will see Social Network and Let Me In. Huge fan of Let the Right One In (book and movie), so I'm interested to see how they translated it. Social Network I'm just interested in seeing what the big fuss is all about.

Might get really, really baked and see Jackass 3D, but I kind of don't want to waste my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom