• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years ago today: Mass Effect was unveiled to the industry

Lingitiz

It's a flawed series forsure, but the good outweighs the bad. Man I wish ME3 was better. The first 2 are really great games, and the third left a really sour taste. I wish we could have seen the vision of all three games with the same writer on board for the whole thing.

I often wonder what the series would be like now if it had stuck to the same gameplay decisions and mechanics of the first game but simply refined them instead of simplifying and making them more casual friendly.

Bry0

I often wonder what the series would be like now if it had stuck to the same gameplay decisions and mechanics of the first game but simply refined them instead of simplifying and making them more casual friendly.
I really loved the first game so much. I felt like the sequels were less ambitious than the first game. I often wonder what could've been as well. Fingers crossed the next game brings back some of "openness" of the first title.

Kain

I played the trilogy "recently" (as in a couple of years ago) and I found the first game to be extremely unpolished, like most of Bioware's games, to be honest. And it was not even fun: the abilities have too much cd, the inventory system is über shit (when will they learn?), the shooting is bad, the cover system is bad, the Mako is atrocious... but the music and setting are ace (dat music, god damn). The second game is my favorite in the series, the focus on the characters instead of the story helped a lot imo. I found Dragon Age: Origins to be a much better first attempt on a new series for their part despite its fare share of problems too.

Cautiously optimistic for ME4.

This was the game that cemented my decision to get a 360. Was a big fan of KoToR and Jade Empire, plus I love Sci-Fi, so this game was a dream come true for me.

man i can't believe it. Usually I don't have a anniversary for my hatred of something. It hasn't felt like it's been 10 years since i saw Shepard walk animation and instantly hated the entire series. The sands of time huh

I forgot how I got into this series, but I loved how your actions affect the trilogy, great or small. Like you let this one guy go, they pay you back later or next game. You start a relationship with one person, you can finish it next game. And it made me sad when you lose one person (either by screw-up or because the story demanded it), they're gone forever.

(That was why I had to do what I could to keep Wrex alive because he was that awesome imo)

It's too bad I never got the chance to finish ME3.

I forgot how I got into this series, but I loved how your actions affect the trilogy, great or small. Like you let this one guy go, they pay you back later or next game. You start a relationship with one person, you can finish it next game. And it made me sad when you lose one person (either by screw-up or because the story demanded it), they're gone forever.

(That was why I had to do what I could to keep Wrex alive because he was that awesome imo)

It's too bad I never got the chance to finish ME3.
if you finished me3 you would have been very sad with all your cross game choices going out the window, if you didn't know.

Springy

I was so excited for ME from its reveal and through its pre-release showings. On reflection, the most intriguing aspects to me, the interruptable conversation system and more in-depth squad order system, never made it in, but I was still glad I bought a 360 to play it.

Looking back, the excitement and enthusiasm BioWare had for building this whole new universe was palpable. It really energized them.

BouncyFrag

Will the ME3 MP lightning strike twice?
I hope so. Playing as a Biotic God wrecking everyone's shit was glorious!
tumblr_inline_miwp9vxU1k1qz4rgp.gif

Denzel-Boom.gif

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
I loved the Mass Effect game series.

I was planning on playing all 3 of them again in December but when I went to buy the Mass Effect Trilogy on Origin I seen that it only includes like 2 pieces of DLC for ME1 which is a piss take, surly they should included all DLC. They don't even included any ME2 DLC wtf!

I remember being super hyped about this game but being sad I didn't have a 360 to play it on. But then on Christmas 2007 I got a new Xbox 360 along with Mass Effect and Halo 3. My two week Christmas break was dedicated to Halo 3 multiplayer with friends and Mass Effect, it was a great time. I ended up enjoying the game a lot despite the clunky combat. I tried replaying the game a few years back but it doesn't hold up as much as it used to, Mass Effect 2 spoiled me (it's also my favorite of the trilogy).

Pearson

Banned
The best series I've ever played. Love the world they've created and cannot wait to return.

I'm going to replay all of the games

I have never been more hyped for a game before or since. Bioware's emphasis on "this is the first of three and your choices matter from this to three, and something you do in the beginning of this may have wide reaching implications by the end" and it was money.

Plus just look at those screens, the art direction is perfection.

I must say the human faces in the game have not aged well at all. Majority of them are just beyond fugly, which makes the zoomed in conversations a lil' hard to watch.
At least the aliens still look fine, besides poor Garrus' blurry face.

Anyway, Happy almost Birthday Mass Effect!

I'm replaying ME1 for the platinum at the moment. On my second playthrough, on insanity and the game has aged very well imo, also still getting good vibes from the setting and atmosphere like when I've played it for the first time.

KKRT00

Best new series of past generation. Best SF Universum except for EVE in gaming.

I was really excited when they first showed it up, but i played ME 1 really late, like one year after release, because i just didnt have desire for S-F RPG at the time, but when i launched it for a first time, it hooked me for good.
I finished ME 2 like 6 times!

I still need to play SP ME 3, which i bought on day of the release btw ;p, but i want to do it with all DLCs and Bioware Points are never on sale!

I loved the Mass Effect game series.

I was planning on playing all 3 of them again in December but when I went to buy the Mass Effect Trilogy on Origin I seen that it only includes like 2 pieces of DLC for ME1 which is a piss take, surly they should included all DLC. They don't even included any ME2 DLC wtf!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't ME1 had only one DLC - Bring/Burn down the skies?
And I think that you get the cerberus pass with ME2, at least with the physical?!?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The original footage/pitch for the game seemed overly ambitious and in the end the series just made it all up as it went along but it was still fun throughout, the ending for the third game still isn't THAT bad. The series could definitely be handled better though in the future there's infinite possibilities for ME so we'll see how it goes with the 4th game.

I think I probably wanted Kotor 3, but Mass Effect became one of my favourite series. ME 2 is my favourite game of last gen, and I regard it as a superior RPG to the first one since I feel RPGs should be about character interaction rather than just levelling up and loot.
Third one was a bit of a disappointment. The tonal change was a bit jarring, and we all know about the ending.

I still haven't played it beyond a few hours. The lore and story is nice, bu t the gameplay isn't for me. Maybe I'll give it another go.

ryushe

This was the game that finally made me upgrade to a 360 and not only was it worth it, it's still what I consider one of the two best games from last gen.

RooMHM

10 years and nothing has changed because of it. One of the biggest hype there was. All three games. Bioware never got its shine back though.

Plasma

Banned
I'm still disappointed they never let you switch characters during battle, I thought that was pretty cool in the early demos they were showing of the game.

impact

Banned
I was so hyped for this game (and Too Human lol) before it came out that I got a 360 for it.

Then it turned out to be a clunky third person shooter with too much dialogue and a really bad framerate. I've got ME2 on PC which I still haven't played yet and I hear it's much better with the gameplay mechanics. I will say that slapping the reporter is still one of my favorite things to ever happen in a game. So fucking random and awesome.

GamerJM

Banned
I didn't hear about it until 2006. I remember one of, if not the, first things I read about it was that it was going to be a trilogy of games, and that your decisions and dialogue choices would carry over from one game to the next. I remember reading that and just having my mind blown, and then telling my friend and his mind was blown too.

To this day I still haven't played the games though. I did pick up the trilogy earlier this year when it was cheap at GameStop.

Nokterian

1tD2qmL.gif

One of the first games i purchased on my 360 such a amazing experience. Glad though that the mako is also making a comeback.

Music is still fantastic to listen to Galactic Starmap music still has that amazing vibe to what sci fi is but makes also think about Blade Runner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RO7K4W-c9g

ME 1 and 2 remain my favorite i completed 2 on PC many times.

And the last mission is just well still good in ME2 the music made me amped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw

Javier23

Banned
Mass Effect was great. It didn't live up to my expectations of it being basically next-gen KOTOR on an original universe of Bioware's own creation, but then I just thought it was close enough and that Mass Effect 2 would be it, a better RPG. I went into a total media blackout and a few years later I launched ME 2 hyped out of my mind and having no clue what I'd find. I found a boring and generic corridor TPS.

I still haven't played Mass Effect 3. To this day, I also cannot understand the rave reviews for ME 2. Dragon Age Origins did save the day for a while there, being a decent RPG packed to the brim with content. It could have done with a bit more depth, but again, I was satisfied with the dozens of hours I put into it. Back then I thought, well, the way this is going I'm guessing ME from now on is gonna be their dumb AAA cinematic shooter series while DA continues being a more traditional RPG aimed at their classic fans. Then Dragon Age 2 is announced.

profile_picture_by_flipping_tables_plz-d52jb8h.jpg

I feel the exact same way about Bioware, with the exception of ME1. I tried KOTOR last year but gave up after about 15 hours (got stuck in front ofthe Tusken raider camp in Dantooine). The story didn't click with me at all, found characters tropey and a bit generic. Voice acting left a lot to be desired as well, but given that the game was made in the early 2000s I'm able to look past it.

Perhaps ME1 is just as overrated as well, but I'm probably not able to overlook most of it's flaws due to nostalgia.
why isn't he already banned and his name cursed?

Fbh

I can't remember many games that have had me more hyped then the First Mass Effect.
Nor can I remember many games that have met my expectations like Mass Effect. While I enjoyed the rest of the franchise (even 3, except for the ending), Mass Effect 1 is still the high point of the series for me. More RPG elements and hands down the best Story in the franchise

NateDog

Wasn't around the hype train back then (was only on PS systems) but man did I enjoy this game once I got an X360 a few years back. My number one has pretty much always been Metal Gear Solid but Mass Effect really challenged it which I don't think any other game has done for me despite its flaws.

Kezen

Banned
I was really hyped for this game, bought it for my 360.
Couldn't play more than 15 minutes because the framerate was just too poor.

Bought it for PC June 2008 and 60fps was a game changer for this game. Enjoyed it immensely.

chrislowe

I bought Mass Effect 1 & 2 when 2 came out. Started playing 1, think it was pretty good., not fantastic but good. Looked okay, but number 2 was fantastic :)
It had great music aswell, loved to listen to the electronica songs.

Maledict

That first press release is interesting in terms of the ending to Mass Effect 3 - it refers to the conflict between organics and AI in a way that I think was least in the actual games. It's possible the writers of the ending weren't aware of how much the perception of the game and it's themes had shifted compared to their original design docs and intentions.

In terms of ME1, I picked it up randomly having not enjoyed the last few Bioware games that much. At first I loved it, but got quickly tired of the endless fetch quests on the citedal, the copy and paste empty worlds and some really silly combat situations that were just completely unfun (rescuing Liara and the fight it throws you into after that at the top of the lift).

I persevered through the set mission planets as they were actually enjoyable compared to the rest of the game, but didn't have much hope if make it through to the ending. Then I hit Ilos, and from the moment you speak to Vigil to the end I was caught up in the greatest ending sequence in gaming history (until ME2!). That final run up the side of the citedal, the fight with Saren, and then the decisions you make were spectacular. The decision to call in the Alliance fleets in the nick of time to save the Destiny Ascension is the closest so any computer game has gotten to making me feel like I was in one of my favourite sci fi stories (Babylon 5 to be exact). The first game took too long to get going, but Christ that end sequence was truly amazing.

Top Bottom