• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years ago today: Mass Effect was unveiled to the industry

Garlador

It was kinda mediocre (how did they fuck the inventory system to much), but it offered an interesting mix of genres and a very peculiar atmosphere.

Too bad the sequels didn't expand ME1 gameplay systems and instead turned into boring space-corridors simulators.

Honestly, I like all three, but not for the same reasons.

The main problem with the Mass Effect trilogy (ending notwithstanding) is how Bioware never took the rough stuff from the previous games and polished it but opted instead to remove those elements entirely.

Elevator loading and conversations made fun of? Removed, not improved. Mako controls criticized? Removed, not improved. Too much inventory to manage for your party? Removed, not improved. Planet exploration too repetitive? Removed, not improved. RPG mechanics needed more integration? Removed, not improved.

That results in three games that have three very different feels.

I honestly look at it like this:
Mass Effect 1 = Star Trek
Mass Effect 2 = Blade Runner
Mass Effect 3 = Starship Troopers

Garlador

I am getting to that point but the lack of denial from Bioware and the fact there is a special Mass Effect Loot Crate being planned still give me hope.

Well, even if it's not planned, what reason on earth do fans have to stop asking for it? What's the worse that could happen? Either we ask enough and it happens, or we ask and the status quo is the same as yesterday.

At the very least, we know that Bioware themselves have expressed and interest, and EA said they don't have the resources at BIOWARE to do it...

... As if remasters are typically done by the original studio. C'mon, EA, that's what Bluepoint is for.

Colbert

Banned
The first Mass Effect is still my favorite western RPG of last and current gen alongside with Lost Odyssey which is my favorite classic JRPG.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd say how the original Mass Effect managed to captivate me was through presenting a more personalised experience of galactic exploration. It wasn't the first game to feature system hopping by a long shot, and in reality navigating the galaxy map boiled down to clicking shit, but it's the concepts presented and the fact I controlled these from the perspective of a third person avatar rather than an entire ship or something that really sold the entire idea.

I can appreciate how some people loathed the pointlessness of the uncharted worlds, but it's through these (though not exclusively) that the aforementioned experience was rounded up for me. Even though 90% of the time there was nothing particularly interesting to do on these worlds, and their aesthetic design was barren and procedural heightmap-like, I'd never experienced a game where I was controlling my character on a star ship, selecting a world, watching a scene as I travel there, then down to the surface, and then controlling my little character just as I would any other third person game, marvelling at the skybox and barren nothingness.

Consistency within game mechanics and avatar control, coherently bridging the entire experience of "play" and how that relates to immersion, is something that really interests me in game design. How, for me, arguably rough presentation and ideas can be elevated significantly in crafting an immersing interactive experience by just existing verses excessively scaling back ideas in favour of presentation and production polish.

Like there's no doubt Mass Effect 2 and 3 have mostly far better combat missions on "Uncharted Worlds" due to the tighter encounter design and more varied level layouts, but they never managed to capture the sense of scale and "little person in a big universe" that the original did simply by having you land on a gigantic hunk of rocky nothingness and wander about.

That's the thing I'm most excited about for Andromeda, if they can recapture that.

Overside

Banned
I'd say how the original Mass Effect managed to captivate me was through presenting a more personalised experience of galactic exploration. It wasn't the first game to feature system hopping by a long shot, and in reality navigating the galaxy map boiled down to clicking shit, but it's the concepts presented and the fact I controlled these from the perspective of a third person avatar rather than an entire ship or something that really sold the entire idea.

I can appreciate how some people loathed the pointlessness of the uncharted worlds, but it's through these (though not exclusively) that the aforementioned experience was rounded up for me. Even though 90% of the time there was nothing particularly interesting to do on these worlds, and their aesthetic design was barren and procedural heightmap-like, I'd never experienced a game where I was controlling my character on a star ship, selecting a world, watching a scene as I travel there, then down to the surface, and then controlling my little character just as I would any other third person game, marvelling at the skybox and barren nothingness.

Consistency within game mechanics and avatar control, coherently bridging the entire experience of "play" and how that relates to immersion, is something that really interests me in game design. How, for me, arguably rough presentation and ideas can be elevated significantly in crafting an immersing interactive experience by just existing verses excessively scaling back ideas in favour of presentation and production polish.

Like there's no doubt Mass Effect 2 and 3 have mostly far better combat missions on "Uncharted Worlds" due to the tighter encounter design and more varied level layouts, but they never managed to capture the sense of scale and "little person in a big universe" that the original did simply by having you land on a gigantic hunk of rocky nothingness and wander about.

That's the thing I'm most excited about for Andromeda, if they can recapture that.

What Andromeda is promising, is star flight with modern technology.

I have no faith whatsoever in them actually following through on it and pulling it off (looks at ME).

But if they do, you will shit yourself, and I will gladly grab a spoon and eat it, and then proceed to buy the first EA game, ive bought new, in decades.

rashbeep

Banned

Couldn't have put it better. The soundtrack really hammered that "exploration" feel as well.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Mass Effect is one of those series that I can't really pin down any one particular thing that makes it special, but as a whole it created an experience for me as an adult that I haven't felt since playing games as a child. The atmosphere is so palpable, the music along with the continued tension being built, characters whose relationships aren't forced upon you, and a world that feels so open ended.

It's embarrassing to me to see people complain about the ending in my opinion. It's like inviting friends over to your family's dinner and they complain at the table about how the dessert should have been better.

I know these type of threads tend to be overwhelmingly positive, but I found Mass Effect to have laughably bad animation, clunky shooting, low image quality, and it was just all around not a very good game.

I never played the sequels, but from what I heard, they were actually somewhat worse.

Pilgrimzero

I remember when it was said this was going to be the new Star Wars. Games, tv shows, films, etc etc.

Guess that didn't happen.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I know these type of threads tend to be overwhelmingly positive, but I found Mass Effect to have laughably bad animation, clunky shooting, low image quality, and it was just all around not a very good game.

I never played the sequels, but from what I heard, they were actually somewhat worse.

It seems most of your issues with ME1 were on the technical side. Which is something that the sequels actually improve into. Most of the complaints for the sequels are that the franchise went from "RPG" to third person shooter and got rid of stuff from ME1 rather than improving on them(Mako, inventory, "open" exploration on planets).

GavinUK86

Amazing.

My favourite game of all time.

Brings back memories looking at the original reveal trailers.

<3 pre-Mark Vanderloo Shepard.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I loved the first game so much. The only game I actively went and got all achievements for. I know most people seem to like the second game better but I never liked some of the changes they made. Plus none of my Shepperds would have ever worked with the Illusive Man. I liked the second game but I was always disappointed by it. I'd rather not even talk about the third one.

Werd

Definitely remember seeing the early preview videos, the conversation/facial animation stuff combined with good for the time models was really impressive.

ME1 is probably me most replayed campaign of that gen, though mainly because it's a lot shorter than ME2 + DLC. Great games.

hughesta

Banned
I remember seeing those prerelease shots in OXM as a kid and thinking graphics could never possibly be better than this.

This came out during a time that while I kept playing, I wasn't really tuned into what was going on in the gaming landscape. When I got my 360, it was one (of 3) my first purchased based purely on the Bioware name and KOTOR connection (my favorite game at that point, now 2nd).

I was completely blow away. My favorite series of all time.

Now I'm now sure what I'm more excited for: ME:A, Bioware's new IP, or Casey Hudson potentially working on something new at MS (Holoens doesn't really me, I hope he's helping on some kind of RPG).

Hmmm, Mass Effect 1 is without a shadow of a doubt my favourite game of all time. I freaking LOVE it, even enough to know it's not perfect but it's still my favourite game. ME1 blew me away back then, the story, plot, premise, characters, themes, universe, narrative, RPG elements, lore/backstory, choices, gameplay mechanics and graphics were absolutely amazing. I can play it anytime and be instantly caught up in it again. I'll never forget that game, not in a million years. Sequel was fantastic as well and a great game in it's own right but the first is still my favourite.

Greatest of all time! Hopefully Andromeda is as lovingly crafted as ME1 was.

Luke_Wal

I LOVE ME2 and like ME3, but I've actually never played the original! I told myself I would wait for a next-generation remaster rather than playing the 5 year delayed PS3 version (never had a 360), but now that it's been confirmed that's not happening, I probably won't get around to it until much later in life.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
God I loved that game. I still vividly remember playing a match of S&D on COD4 and suddenly getting this urge to buy Mass Effect. I promptly quit said match and marched over to Best Buy. Easily one of my favorite games of last gen. I think I might start a new play through tonight.

chemicals

I played this game so many damn hours. I visited every planet and drove the Mako(sp) 100% on every planet I could land on. It was such a fantastic and unique game. I loved the RPG elements better than the sequels, which still were good, but to me the original was the best.

This. I dream about living in a parallel universe where all 3 Mass Effect games are as good as the first one. Same thing with Dragon Age. God.

Having adored KOTOR I was beyond hyped for this game. And it delivered above and beyond.

My favorite game series to date, and I've never felt so much like I was playing the "Next Gen" as when I played ME1.

_woLf

I still remember before ME1 launched there was a sci-fi channel contest on their website that nobody really knew about outside of a small forum I posted at. Every single one of us who entered won. The prize was a collectors edition of the game.

If it hadn't been for that, I'm not sure if I would have even played the game. But now with the franchise being one of my most favorite of all time, I am damn glad I entered that contest.

Mass Effect is a series that is big enough that I really hope it continues on for a long time.

ps: LET ME PLAY AS AN ASARI

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Here's hoping we don't have to wait another 4½-5 years for the next ME game after Andromeda is out. Remember, ME3 was launched March 2012, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Andromeda get delayed to Q1 2017.

I know ME3 was rushed so we shouldn't complain, and that they have to work with a new engine(for the franchise), but man... 5 years is fucking too long man. And the lack of gameplay videos after 3½ years doesn't help. Hate how secretive you are Bioware. :mad:

Peltz

Man that was 10 years ago? Crazy.

It's a series that gets a lot of unfortunate hate. But the alien designs are second to none. I love the overall art direction of the series. It has some of the coolest character designs in the industry.

Here's to the future of the franchise. Cheers.

Renekton

This. I dream about living in a parallel universe where all 3 Mass Effect games are as good as the first one. Same thing with Dragon Age. God.
The things with Bioware is that they chase trends and are super quick to ditch non-mainstream mechanics.

Dudebro fans didn't like the RPG hybrid style? Turn it into a GoW shooter.

Ubisoft AC and FC doing great? Let's add towers and PoIs.

Renekton

I have never played mass effect
S8fN3ZH.png

Artdayne

The Mass Effect series is one of my favorites and the first one is very memorable. With mass Effect 1 I liked the RPG elements, the space exploration and I also think the first one had the best antagonist in the series, Saren.

Mass Effect 3 remains my favorite though mainly because the combat is the most polished of the three, it manages to bring back more of the RPG elements that were missing from 2 and I just really enjoyed the persistent threat you felt throughout the game. The reaper threat was everywhere, you'd see a Reaper ravaging a planet in the distance while you're running through some quest.

Ogimachi

It was a game with mediocre mechanics but fun gameplay, terrible UI, good story and plot, good exploration, fantastic soundtrack and a great setting. Sounds like a mixed bag, but I liked the game a lot.
I'm not a BioWare fan, far from it, but I have to give credit where it's due. They've created a great universe, the best of the previous generation, but the games themselves went to shit after the first.

I find it interesting how the scope has been going downhill ever since it was announced. The initial videos, pictures and interviews depicted a much more ambitious game than what was released. The sequels became even less amibitious, to the point where they can't even be considered part of the same genre, if you ask me.

I strongly recommend the ongoing Mass Effect Retrospective by Shamus Young. He talks much more about the narrative, lore, plot structure and characters than gameplay elements, but it's really comprehensive and does a great job showing why ME1 was great and what was missing later in the series.

BasilZero

I never got to experience the reveal or the early trailers because I wasnt really into gaming during those years (didnt get into heavy gaming until 2-3 years after that ;p

Played/finished Mass Effect 1 for the first time last year and finished ME2 last month.

Have to say this and Assassin's Creed are two of my most favorite franchises from last gen. Even though I only played two games I have to say the sci fi nature and the story/characters are making me wanna choose this as my most favorite western and last gen franchise.

I really loved ME1 cause of the RPG mechanics - was sad the RPG portion was dumbed down in the sequel but still enjoyed the game.

Will be getting ME3 soon. I plan to replay this series again in the future.

Disxo

I had a crappy PC when I played it, it broke 2 times in the middle of the game
I bought another one and I finally could finish It, anyways I LOVED every single minute of it (Imo best mass effect)

SmartBase

I love how the sequels just gutted the first game's most interesting mechanics instead of actually improving them. Such a waste.

Loomer

Absolutely loved the first one despite the rather noticeable downgrade from the pre-release footage.

Dropped 2 after a couple hours and never played 3.

Top Bottom