• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years with no new BioShock is a sad world to live in.

SimTourist

While some things like storylines and gameplay of the Bioshock games can be debated, one thing they had on lock is art design and creative world building. Both Rapture and Columbia are still some of the most fresh, inspired and inventive game settings ever conceived. While they weren't the most technically advanced games graphically the artistry on display and the strength of wouldbuilding makes these games hold up incredibly well like only few games of PS360 generation can. Dissolution of Irrational games was a massive loss for the gaming world and while it's fair to criticize Ken Levine for his lack of management skills, he's undoubtably one of gaming's most creative studio leaders we had. Let's soak in the beauty of Bioshock and imagine what Irrational could've done with modern hardware.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The way the lighthouse works opens up multiple ways to restart this franchise

It also kills any and all interest in the plot because it's all completely meaningless. Whatever happens to anyone, ever, is irrelevant. It's an acceptable way to end a franchise but it's put a bullet in future games in that universe.

killatopak

It also kills any and all interest in the plot because it's all completely meaningless. Whatever happens to anyone, ever, is irrelevant. It's an acceptable way to end a franchise but it's put a bullet in future games in that universe.

Just treat it like Silent Hill. Yeah, the town is important but the personal story of the main character is what elevates it. The town is just the setting.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
One of the most overrated series ever imho.
GOAT series

welcome origin GIF

ungalo

I'm not sure why Columbia didn't click with me. The contemplative sequences in Bioshock Infinite were breathtaking but i'm not feeling it, perhaps it's a little too much, doesn't compliment the game's themes as well, and overall those themes are not as interesting as Bioshock 1 to me.

Rapture is great but i'm not sure i'd want another game in it, or a new Bioshock in general i have to say. The real problem is that we don't get any new IP like this nowadays.

HL3.exe

We had Prey 2017 (also referred to as Psycho Shock), and a System Shock Remake. Also a couple of other ImSims that quench the thirst.

And don't forget, next year Levine's next game comes out, which pretty much still looks like Bioshock, but more systems-driven?

Last edited:

radewagon

Even if you're right, which I don't think you are, Bioshock's aesthetic and gameplay are still very much the larger draw of the series and that doesn't get diminished because of a multiverse. It's not like people stopped playing Zelda games because of the inevitability of the 3 triforce holders to battle it out in a way that repeats a known in-world legend. Moreover it promises to have victory just as temporary as the one that came before.

And I don't even want to think about how many times Dracula has been resurrected.

Games aren't exclusively stories. They don't need to worry much about the growing perception of lowered stakes that people associate with multiverse plots.

Robb

Gold Member
I wasn’t a huge fan of Infinite but I do like the style of the games. Would definitely like to see more of it.

I do like the look of Clockwork Revolution though, seems heavily influenced by Bioshock;

Hopefully it’ll turn out to be good!

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Even if you're right, which I don't think you are, Bioshock's aesthetic and gameplay are still very much the larger draw of the series and that doesn't get diminished because of a multiverse. It's not like people stopped playing Zelda games because of the inevitability of the 3 triforce holders to battle it out in a way that repeats a known in-world legend. Moreover it promises to have victory just as temporary as the one that came before.

And I don't even want to think about how many times Dracula has been resurrected.

Games aren't exclusively stories. They don't need to worry much about the growing perception of lowered stakes that people associate with multiverse plots.

Neither of those examples are the same thing as what Infinite's reveal means, though. Ganon and Dracula may be resurrected, but there's still a victory and temporary peace. The day is still saved. Thanks to the Infinite twist, every time anyone does anything it spawns an infinite number more universes where everything is horrible (and infinite more where everything works out). It just kinda sucks the life out of that world, and again works as an ending, but not the basis for more games.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still play a new one and try to ignore that, but if it's set in the same world I'll be constantly reminded that nothing I'm doing in the story matters, and the story is largely why you're playing shock games. I'm more interested in whatever Levine's working on.

A new traditional Bioshock game probably isn't seen as "feasible" since Take2 probably has difficulty fitting it into a Fortnite/GTA online model.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Bioshock, James Bond, socom the list goes on we’re not getting the best games now.

Mortisfacio

Infinite seemed to get a lot of hate, but was my 2013 GOTY even over The Last of Us. I think if The Last of Us got the AI shown at E3 it might have edged it out for me (also would have been cool to see more of the Infinite shown in early trailers). I'm good without a new one, though. Judas and Clockwork Revolution look similar enough it might scratch that itch.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Take Two is really lazy, they treat all their IP like shit aside from GTA and NBA2K.

Like, Bioshock 1 is one game that actually would benefit from a remaster. I would buy that in less than a second.

Better yet, make a full blown sequel where we return to Rapture, my god, so inept

Last edited:

Senua

Like, Bioshock 1 is one game that actually would benefit from a remaster. I would buy that in less than a second.
They did this a couple years back with the Bioshock Collection. It sucked.

Better yet, make a full blown sequel where we return to Rapture, my god, so inept
They did this 13 years ago, it's called Bioshock 2. It didn't suck.

I could never really get into these games and I don't why. I always dropped them mid playthrough. I finally finished Bioshock 1 like last year and it was meh.

Doom85

I mean, a hypothetical Bioshock 4 could be good, but I’m more interested in Ken Levine’s Judas especially as at least we’ve seen a little bit of it.

Zuzu

Yeah it's been too long. Atomic Heart was the most recent attempt but that was lame and average imo and I didn't finish it.

StereoVsn

I think the new game should be a fresh start/remake.

RagnarokIV

What's currently the best way to replay these?

PC version is now missing the EAX sound. PS3 is low res and crap. I have the remastered trilogy but haven't even unwrapped it - I'm guessing PS4 remastered trilogy or 360 via back compat?

MiguelItUp

Man, that era was awesome. Gears of War, Dead Space, Bioshock, etc. So many new IPs at the time, and they were all very different from one another and special. I feel like we haven't seen that level of excitement for a cluster of new IPs in a long, long time.

Bioshock was exceptional, I loved it a great deal. I even competed in a silly contest on Destructoid with a crappy costume I put together, and won. The picture also kind of became semi-viral, so there's that too, lol.

It was so awesome to be so excited about a brand new IP. That excitement carried over to each sequel as well for me. Of course, I think the first Bioshock hit me the hardest, I still found ways to love 2 and Infinite.

I'd LOVE to see a return to Bioshock. But, at the same time, I personally think we're fine where we left it. In a world of sequels and remakes, I'd only want it to carry on if it could continue to be something special. Rather than something just trying to make a quick buck.

Doczu

PC version is now missing the EAX sound. PS3 is low res and crap. I have the remastered trilogy but haven't even unwrapped it - I'm guessing PS4 remastered trilogy or 360 via back compat?
Play the PS4 remasters. 1080/60 base console, up to 1440p on the Pro/PS5. they fixed the wonky physics animations thst were locked at 30fps

Senua

Original PC release, DX10 mode. 60fps physics fix. You can get the EAX working too.

EAX fix:
  1. Install OpenAL.
  2. Go to %WINDIR%\System32 (or %WINDIR%\SysWoW64 for x64 OS's).
  3. Copy over wrap_oal.dll into the same folder where BioShock's executable is located (<path-to-game>\Builds\Release\).
  4. Rename this file to openal32.dll.
  5. Enable EAX audio in the in-game options.
Physics FPS fix

1. Download Bioshock Physics Unlocker.
  2. Extract BioshockPhysicsUnlocker.exe to the game's executable folder (typically located in <path-to-game>\Builds\Release\).
  3. Open BioshockPhysicsUnlocker.exe, type the desired frame rate, and press ↵ Enter.

I recently played it at 4k 120hz on an OLED and it was glorious

Last edited:

SnapShot

And don't forget, next year Levine's next game comes out, which pretty much still looks like Bioshock, but more systems-driven?

Why does everything in this trailer look like it was soaked in oil and grease? like it just came fresh out of development with no effort to make it look less like plastic dolls or toys

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Original game had a negative influence on games after for 5 years and Infinite felt dated as fuck the second it went gold.

I'm good. Maybe if that Vita SRPG ever happened.

Top Bottom