• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100% complete unreleased games

BAW

Banned
This was going to be my contribution to the thread – I know it was finished because I reviewed it for gamesTM waaaay back in the day, that's how late it was cancelled. Shame too, as it was really good. Might even still have the disc kicking around somewhere, actually.

Dude. You have the duty to convert that disc to iso image and give it specifically to me.

Jinroh

Re 1.5 was like at 80.5% wasn't it?
Yeah but it doesn't mean anything in terms of assets. From what I gathered here and there it probably wasn't playable from start to finish.

The most finalized backgrounds from the second half of the game are in the japanese BH2 demo and a lot of them are missing/unfinished. The same probably goes for voices, cut-scenes, scripts, bosses, etc.

Never forget:

latest

Shiggy

Six Days in Fallujah

Not complete.

Was Starcraft Ghost complete?

Not complete.

Mijamoto stated in different interviews that Zelda 3 as well as Ocarina of Time Ura were both done.
Zelda 3 was held back due to Dragon Quest releasing the same year, and later for some reason remodeled into AlttP, while Ura Zelda was just cancelled due the commercial failure of the N64-DD.

:(

Ura Zelda became Master Quest, which was both complete and released

Not quite done, but presumably very close - Donkey Kong Racing for GameCube. Set for release in 2002, but Rare was sold to Microsoft in 2002...

Not complete at all, in fact, very far from complete. Diddy Kong Pilot was pretty close to completion though.

Borman

I wonder how much of the Xbox revolt port was done before being killed

I have more complete builds, it was basically done, although these builds obviously have debug stuff. There was also a build that people created from leaked source code and the Live beta test (which was online only), but that seems to not be the final result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBodYs9B1wo

Important to note that this particular build doesnt seem to be quite complete, has missing faces and some other stuff going on.

True Fantasy Live Online seemed just about finished before it was canned.

Likely had some major issues still, particularly surrounding Voice Chat.

Bonk Brink of Extinction.

Bonk was almost certainly done anyway, I have a build with two worlds but I know a more complete one exists. I recommend my own video for the full story on that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSmPA-wRtfY

There was also some Dino Hunter game, too, if I recall. I'm not sure if that saw release.

Dinosaur Hunting exists in English, I own a copy. It is even a pressed version that works on retail Xboxes without mods.

The Red Star's unreleased Xbox version seemed 100% and runs at 480p compared to the officially released PS2 480i version. I've heard there's slowdown on the PS2 version as well.

This one exists too as a pressed version, working on retail consoles.

This is the pre-alpha build that I covered, from about 8 months before the game was cancelled, so figure 12-14 months before a release.

Crimson Dragon for Xbox 360 - the full game is playable if you got it from the marketplace in Japan during late 2012 - it was removed super quick, only the trial game could be downloaded but could be unlocked on a hacked system. Unfortunately the people that have this version, despite it being a digital release, have not released it publicly if that gives any indication for short it was up for. Gameplay footage makes it obvious how much was taken to the final Xbone version.

There are versions floating around of this in private hands, but mostly from microsoft's private Partnernet.

On the topic of Half-life, no pressed discs have been found, but there was the one complete manual and case.

There was a finished Lamborghini game for the Xbox but EA bought the developer and decided to not release the game so that NFS would have less competition.

Also exists in a few different pressed versions. But you know that ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhQoxc5HFeY

This was going to be my contribution to the thread – I know it was finished because I reviewed it for gamesTM waaaay back in the day, that's how late it was cancelled. Shame too, as it was really good. Might even still have the disc kicking around somewhere, actually.

If you have that disc or any others, let me know and we can work something out. I actually do have a copy of Lamborghini.

Wasn't there a weird Saints Row XBLA game that was done?

Early versions of this leaked too

Tinman dX

Banned
Whatever happened to that "Demonik"game or "game from Grandma's Boy" lol was that a finished game

Also how close to finished was that "Halo Mega-Blok" game

MC Safety

True Fantasy Live Online seemed just about finished before it was canned.

We put it on the cover of Xbox Nation. Microsoft showed us a demonstration of the game at E3 one year, and we all sort of walked away underwhelmed. I don't remember specifics, but there didn't seem to be much there.

After the preview, we debated changing covers. But E3 issues were always hellish and, regardless, True Fantasy was a solid cover candidate. A few months later, I think, we learned the game had been canceled.

If I had to bet, I would say the game was not close to completion.

charsace

NBA ELITE 11.

Biggest failure out of all the 100% finished games. NBA Live 10 was a strong entry into the EA basketball series of games that has been around since I believe 1990. NBA Elite was supposed to that smashed NBA 2k and make EA Basketball the top basketball series. Instead Jesus Bynum happened and the game was cancelled. The cancellation happened so late that EA had to literally pull it off the shelves. EA Basketball has been in a nosedive ever since.

MC Safety

Dinosaur Hunting exists in English, I own a copy. It is even a pressed version that works on retail Xboxes without mods.

That doesn't mean it saw general release. We oftentimes got builds that had labels printed on them that were playable on retail Xboxes.

I think Metro3D never released the American version of Dinosaur Hunting to the public.

Borman

That doesn't mean it saw general release. We oftentimes got builds that had labels printed on them that were playable on retail Xboxes.

I think Metro3D never released the American version of Dinosaur Hunting to the public.

I didnt mean to imply that it was released. I was just confirming the fact that it was 100% done.

FyreWulff

The PlayStation version of Baldur's Gate was more or less complete, was reportedly cancelled due to ridiculous loading times and the fact that a single save game took up an entire memory card (!).

Gameplay footage

that's kind of funny since on GameCube there were games that outright took entire memory cards (although i think all of them that did also included said memory card)

When I attended a panel with the Toe Jam and Earl creator at PAX East 2017, he told the audience that SEGA plopped a copy of DK64 in front of him and told him to make his game more like that. That's why 3 was so different to the other games.

When I spoke to him individually, he said that they even had online play working on the DC build.

I'm not really surprised by that. I don't think the higher ups at Sega really understood the original concept behind ToeJam & Earl. It is the same reason why TJ&E 2 became more of a traditional sidescroller. Rouge likes just weren't a thing on consoles back then, which is quite the opposite now. The original ToeJam & Earl 3 on the Dreamcast looks like a faithful recreation of the original game in 3D, The soundtrack is also impressive too in that demo. Online could have been fantastic.

What about Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill for SNES? Yes, it was a game starring President Clinton's cat. I remember seeing previews and reviews for it, but AFAIK it never came out.

jluedtke

Like I posted above, go back and watch my video. I take you through early concepts and prototypes, including the possibility of a Bonk DS, which is on my list for a larger video down the line :)

Thanks. I've already added your video to my "Watch Later" queue. I'll try to check it out soon.

Lagamorph

I'm amazed in these days of easy digital distribution that games like this aren't dusted down, given a quick port and released onto Xbox Live/PSN/Steam.

higemaru

What about Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill for SNES? Yes, it was a game starring President Clinton's cat. I remember seeing previews and reviews for it, but AFAIK it never came out.
Yeah, there's apparently a finished cart out there but the collector who owns it refuses to dump the ROM or sell it. I think he wants more money than it's worth or he's just opposed to doing it or something.

It's like if Martin Shkreli had an unreleased Yanni album instead of a Wu Tang album.

Syriel

Bonk Brink of Extinction.

To a lesser extent but very close, Rock Band Japan.

Bonk was completed, but shelved.

You mean Re-Volt? As I recall, it was one of the first games playable on Xbox Live.

I guess it never saw general release. I worked for a game magazine and it was the first Xbox title I got to play online.

http://revolt.wikia.com/wiki/Re-Volt_Live_(Xbox)

The Live Beta was MP only. A single player version exists, but never shipped.

The English version of Rent A Hero No. 1 for Xbox.

It even has enough reviews for a metascore

Kinda sad that neither the original or the remake had a western release

Review copies of this have leaked, similar to Half-Life, Geist Force and Propeller Arena.

Crimson Dragon for Xbox 360 - the full game is playable if you got it from the marketplace in Japan during late 2012 - it was removed super quick, only the trial game could be downloaded but could be unlocked on a hacked system. Unfortunately the people that have this version, despite it being a digital release, have not released it publicly if that gives any indication for short it was up for. Gameplay footage makes it obvious how much was taken to the final Xbone version.

Of all the rare games that have leaked, the fact that the retail version of this hasn't gotten out surprises me as it is coded to run on any retail system. No hacking needed. No modding needed.

Just copy from one memory card to another.

Repro case. Not official.

Space Fantasy Zone for PC-Engine Super CD-ROM.

Leaked back in the 90s. Was commonly counterfeited by sellers looking to make a quick buck long before the "repro" craze started.

One of the first revealed dreamcast games ever and was planned as a launch title was canned as well.

Geist Force.

il_340x270.1194037168_ef0q.jpg

Repro case. Not official.

There was a finished Lamborghini game for the Xbox but EA bought the developer and decided to not release the game so that NFS would have less competition.

That Lambo game is semi-unique in that it is one of the few pressed discs for the Xbox Live Beta consoles (different security key than retail or debug).

Now, if you want to talk EXCEEDINGLY RARE pressed retail discs, then you should be looking for a retail copy of the OG Xbox Kameo demo.

Same demo as the 360 demo, but pressed onto an Xbox silver and runs on retail systems.

Whatever happened to that "Demonik"game or "game from Grandma's Boy" lol was that a finished game

Shown at E3 one year. Cancelled. Never finished.

Oh, also forgot to add (from the sports side):

Madden '96 for the PlayStation. That was done when it was scrapped.

Garraboa

Whatever happened to Echo Delta on N64? Apparently it was completed and the only cart with it was sold forever ago on ebay. There's some gameplay in Japanese out there, too.

Borman

That Lambo game is semi-unique in that it is one of the few pressed discs for the Xbox Live Beta consoles (different security key than retail or debug).

There are retail-silver versions floating around though, not just the Beta Live version.

Not 100%, but Final Fantasy IV for the Famicom was like 80% complete before Square scrapped the whole thing to focus on the next gen. This led to Cecil Harvey's FFV on the Super Famicom being renamed "FFIV", and the rest is history.

M4cpVsU.jpg

–This is a bit of an old topic, but when you were developing 4 for the FC, you were developing 5 for the SFC at the same time, right?

Sakaguchi: A painful question... (laugh) 4 on the FC... When development was canceled, I told many game magazines in interviews that it had only been at the initial concept stage and that the story was never finished. I said there was nothing to it (laugh), but that was a big, fat lie. It was actually some 80% done. But I was filled with regret and answered with a lie as if dragging my tail between my legs.

–Do you still have the data/files for it?

Sakaguchi: I don't really know much about that sort of thing, but I think we still have it.

Camjo-Z

I don't know if it was 100% done but apparently a Jet Force Gemini GBC version was nearly finished at least. Someone out there has a prototype but only uploaded the intro to Youtube.

Yeah, there's apparently a finished cart out there but the collector who owns it refuses to dump the ROM or sell it. I think he wants more money than it's worth or he's just opposed to doing it or something.

It's like if Martin Shkreli had an unreleased Yanni album instead of a Wu Tang album.

Actually they had a successful Kickstarter last year to release the original ROM as well as create a finished version to make repro carts with, aiming for a July 2017 release. The latest backer-only update is titled "The delay that nobody wanted" though so I guess it'll be a little longer.

I was gutted that Harrier Assault for the SEGA CD never came out, which looked ace and meant to have pushed the ASIC chip to the max.

Also was gutted that WaterWorld Was dropped at the last min for the Sega Saturn. That game was meant to looked and moved stunning 60 fps and making full use of the Saturn's VDP 2

Sayad

It didn't get a proper retail release, but this came out

http://www.system3.com/promotional-download/puttysquadamiga/

I haven't played it myself, but I remember reading about it in Retro Gamer and people seemed pretty excited about it.
Oh! That's nice. Played the original back then on the SNES, think it was the only console version that got released. Pretty fun game in co-op, one of few co-op games that give players the ability to fight each others and a decent incentive to do so. :D

Top Bottom