• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11 Films To See In September (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
Surrogates
The Informant
I Can Do Bad All By Myself (Unlike most of the haters, I actually make an attempt to watch films before blindly following others into hatrerville)

RiZ III

Carriers looks just like 28 days later, well the idea behind it anyways and many other zombie flicks. I'm in >_>

corpserot

harSon said:
I Can Do Bad All By Myself (Unlike most of the haters, I actually make an attempt to watch films before blindly following others into hatrerville)
Have you ever seen anything by Tyler Perry? It's impossible for him to do anything good.

harSon

Banned
corpserot said:
Have you ever seen anything by Tyler Perry? It's impossible for him to do anything good.

I've seen most of his films and attended a few of his live plays before he took Hollywood by storm, I personally like the films as do most of my family members. They're a bit melodramatic but they're well acted, and connectible assuming you can relate with the minority experience in the United States.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Splice should really be in the "see" section, but it probably won't get much of a wide release. Natali is one of the more underrated genre directors currently working, and the 'Dren' creature design is among the best I've seen in years.

RiZ III said:
Carriers looks just like 28 days later, well the idea behind it anyways and many other zombie flicks. I'm in >_>

Yeah, the premise sounds great. I'm not sure how big of a release it will get though.

harSon

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:
Splice should really be in the "see" section, but it probably won't get much of a wide release. Natali is one of the more underrated genre directors currently working, and the 'Dren' creature design is among the best I've seen in years.

The creature looks like Bjork...

Cosmic Bus said:

Yeah I actually had it in there, but then took it off since it may not even get released this month. There is ZERO press for it, no trailer or anything. Kind of odd.

YYZ

GOD, did Sandra Bullock hire someone to do strange things to her face sometime during the past five years? She looks TERRIBLE, like a wannabe Joan Rivers in the pic in the OP.

This month looks I will go movie-less. Interested in Extract (Mike Judge of course), but I'm willing to bet that will be out on dvd this holiday season/new year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't post much in OT or in movie threads, but I just wanted to reply to say I read your monthly threads every month and they normally remind me of at least one or two movies that had slipped under my radar. Thanks.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
HamPster PamPster said:
The Eureka Seven movie is this month (crappy name though, Tuck in the Young Lovers?)

Anyone see it in Japan? Is it just retelling the series or what? I enjoyed the series but its too long for me to ever bother rewatching it. I hope the movie is good
-good night, sleep tight, young lovers-

(Kind of odd really that the international title makes less sense than the Japanese version's "Pocket Full of Rainbows.")

Also, it's a terrible film. No, it's not a retelling. No, it's not a sequel. It's a bizarre alternate universe sort of thing where the characters mostly look the same (though many have different names and almost all have different personalities), some of the main themes of the plot are sort of similar (only with none of the depth, intelligence, or understanding behind it, primarily because Dai Sato, who wrote the series, has no involvement here), and where about half of the animation and art is in some way recycled from the TV series.

Simply put, it's a real clusterfuck of a movie, and it's hard to tell exactly who the intended audience is even supposed to be. It's inaccessible to people unfamiliar with the TV series, yet it fails to serve even as simple fanservice to fans of the original. The narrative doesn't really make sense, there isn't much explanation of anything, and, well, it's really just sort of a confounding experience in general.

But at least it has an awesome end credits song...

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Maybe The Informant. Maybe.

I should just go see 500 Days of Summer (again) and Thirst this month.

Cheebs

harSon said:
I've seen most of his films and attended a few of his live plays before he took Hollywood by storm, I personally like the films as do most of my family members. They're a bit melodramatic but they're well acted, and connectible assuming you can relate with the minority experience in the United States.
His movies often have a middle aged black man dressed as an old lady.

Edit: Oh man, I just looked him up on IMDB. His highest rated movie is 4.9/10. Heh.

KHarvey16 said:
Avoid this if you don't want anything "spoiled," but This American Life did a great show on the story told in The Informant! mentioned above.

I've heard the movie has quite a different tone from the real life story. Can't wait to see it though.

Stumpokapow said:
I don't post much in OT or in movie threads, but I just wanted to reply to say I read your monthly threads every month and they normally remind me of at least one or two movies that had slipped under my radar. Thanks.

Very appreciated! Glad you enjoy them.

XMonkey said:
Maybe The Informant. Maybe.

I should just go see 500 Days of Summer (again) and Thirst this month.

Thirst was so good. As was 500 Days.

harSon

Banned
Cheebs said:
His movies often have a middle aged black man dressed as an old lady.

Edit: Oh man, I just looked him up on IMDB. His highest rated movie is 4.9/10. Heh.

And? They're all a mixture of comedy and drama. Robert Downey Jr dressed as a Black guy is genius but there's something wrong with a dude in drag?

And IMDB is a pretty horrible place to gauge the ratings of Black films :lol

TxdoHawk

Sorority Row looks amusing, so does Jennifer's Body.

As a guy who enjoys Mike Judge's work though, the trailer I saw for Extract was...not even remotely funny.

Not a whole lot there that suits my tastes, but I'll definitely try and catch The Informant. Haven't seen The Girlfriend Experience yet, but I thought Che was fantastic.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Not a whole lot there that suits my tastes, but I'll definitely try and catch The Informant. Haven't seen The Girlfriend Experience yet, but I thought Che was fantastic.
I actually haven't seen Che. Waiting for four hours to watch it in one sitting. The Girlfriend Experience was pretty great though.

How can I not go see Gamer based on the subject matter, cast, and trailer. If Splice is coming this month I'd love to see it. As said before Vincenzo is a really good director given Cube and Cypher and his work is always interesting at the very least.

9 looks like painful Tim Burtonesque junk. I'll likely rent it but the style bothers me a whole lot.

I'd be up for Whiteout if Swordfish wasn't one of the worst "action" films I'd have ever seen in a theater. I liked Gone in 60 Seconds far more.

harSon

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
I actually haven't seen Che. Waiting for four hours to watch it in one sitting. The Girlfriend Experience was pretty great though.

I loved Che, not sure if I could manage to watch it in a single sitting though, it's one of those things I watch over the course of a few days :p

I'll see Carriers, Whiteout, Splice, Pandorum, and Surrogates. Sounds like a good month for sci-fi. I'll wait to see the reviews for Extract since Idiocracy was disappointing, but I love Mike Judge's work. Dunno if I'll see 9 since Elijah Wood is the original Shia LaBeouf, the plot makes no sense, AND I'M GETTING FUCKING TIRED OF THE COHEED AND CAMBRIA SONG PLAYED IN EVERY FUCKING TRAILER! Phew, got that out of my system. I can't believe the OP recommends a movie with Gerard Butler in it and two snorefests about a poet and mommy-bonding.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I might see Big Fan (that comes out this month Daniel and not on the list), Amereeka (not on the list either), Splice, and not much else really. Oh yeah, Dead Man has a 35mm print at the Alamo on Sunday so I will for sure see that too. At least Fantastic Fest is this month and I just bought my badge on Monday.

AlternativeUlster

Whip It comes out this month and it could be a nice cute popcorn flick too. The trailer looked alright despite the bad Weezer song but the whole "We're #2 thing" makes me smile every time probably.

AlternativeUlster said:
I might see Big Fan (that comes out this month Daniel and not on the list), Amereeka (not on the list either), Splice, and not much else really. Oh yeah, Dead Man has a 35mm print at the Alamo on Sunday so I will for sure see that too. At least Fantastic Fest is this month and I just bought my badge on Monday.

Big Fan came out last month, missed it :/ Whip It comes out Oct. 2nd.

weepy

harSon said:

The plays are better, by far. But you have to understand that Perry's material doesn't translate well on film. It comes off as predictable, melodramatic fluff with a gospel undertone. Don't get me wrong, Tyler Perry is great for providing black actor/resses work, having positive films with messages and whatnot, and catering to his audience. Yet, if you seen one TP movie, you've seen them all.

AlternativeUlster

DanielPlainview said:
Big Fan came out last month, missed it :/ Whip It comes out Oct. 2nd.

Damn, I guess it did. Whip It has a screening in a couple of days in Austin at the Arbor so I thought it was coming sooner. Maybe if they are screening for Whip It so early, its a really good sign then or maybe they are screening it in Austin so soon for its devout Roller Derby following.

B.K.

I saw the Surrogates trailer for the first time a few days ago. Looks interesting. I probably won't go see it in the theater, but I'll rent it when the Blu-Ray comes out, if I don't forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom