• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

120/144Hz Thread of Lightboosting Pixel Perfect Headshots

mkenyon

Banned
Now if only they can get a monitor is IPS, that does this, and is 1440p or even 2160p at 27"

edit, and oh my word that is a cheap monitor at 144hz! TN panel, but maybe it's worth it.
The QNIX in the OP is PLS (IPS derivative) and is 1440p. If you're dead set on 1440p and IPS, it's the one to get.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've been lightboosting for like 2 months now, but only recently have noticed some "ghosting" when scrolling webpages. It only happens with a smooth scroll with the middle click held down. And it only happens at one specific velocity, anything slower or faster looks fine. Am I just now noticing it and hyperaware of it or is there something I can do to change this?

FoxSpirit

With all UE3 games, you need to edit the config.ini file.

"bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE"

and set "MaxSmoothedFrameRate" to 120.

You also need a(n intel) processor clocked to the nines. UE3 loves them speedy cores, especially in MP.
Don't worry, I have my config settings. I am also running a 4770k.
Still can't get ovewr 110fps and that only by deactivating dynamic lighting. My 6850 may not quite be up to the task.

A solid 120 is what I ideally want. This game thrives on 120fps, at 60 it feels you have much less time to react to blows.

mkenyon

Banned
I've been lightboosting for like 2 months now, but only recently have noticed some "ghosting" when scrolling webpages. It only happens with a smooth scroll with the middle click held down. And it only happens at one specific velocity, anything slower or faster looks fine. Am I just now noticing it and hyperaware of it or is there something I can do to change this?
Chill out, have a drink, maybe some bud.

(not that I know of)
Don't worry, I have my config settings. I am also running a 4770k.
Still can't get ovewr 110fps and that only by deactivating dynamic lighting. My 6850 may not quite be up to the task.

A solid 120 is what I ideally want. This game thrives on 120fps, at 60 it feels you have much less time to react to blows.
Yep yep. It's actually what sold me on Lightboost too. Prior to that I was mostly using my S23A750D despite having a lightboost capable BenQ.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I fucking looooooove my Eizo Foris FS2333 so when I finally take that plunge to 120Hz I think I'll go with them too. Can't afford it for a while though but here's hoping we get a nice G Sync enabled Eizo later this year, I could see them having a go at it since they're now dipping into gaming monitors :) Not too worried about getting higher than 1080p resolution though.

mkenyon

Banned
If only it had lightboost. :( Otherwise, yes, that is pretty much exactly what I want.

You're still going to get a huge improvement compared to 60Hz.

If you're waiting for lightboost IPS @ 1440p, don't hold your breath. I'd be surprised if we see one at all.

Chettlar

Banned
You're still going to get a huge improvement compared to 60Hz.

If you're waiting for lightboost IPS @ 1440p, don't hold your breath. I'd be surprised if we see one at all.

I can wait a few more years; my 24" 16:10 is chugging along pretty good for right now. Plus I'm poor as dirt anyway.

Still, why wouldn't we see lightboost on top of all that? Does it take a lot of bandwidth? (Tried to read some on it, and while I get what it does, I'm not sure what resources it needs to do it).

mkenyon

Banned
IPS panels are hard to reliably get 120Hz out of without a range of issues. When you're talking about overclocking stuff like the QNIX or Catleap, it's not a manufacturer backing it saying "this runs at 120Hz". This makes it prohibitively expensive on the AIB/manufacturer to cherry pick panels that run at 120Hz flawlessly, or just too much of a quality control nightmare.

Heck, even the Eizo Foris is $600 and it's only 1080p with a VA panel. Think about the pricing on an even more niche item like a 1440p VA panel, and I'd imagine a price tag that's well above $1000.

I'd put $10 down that says it never happens, at least with IPS. With VA panels, there's a chance.

FoxSpirit

Maybe. Or maybe we will all switch to OLED before this comes around. I mean, how long have I waited for a good VA panel?? Since we left CRT basically.

And it's from Sharp, the last bastion of quality LCDs. Unless they make it, we will most likely have to wait.

Oh yeah, I have read in reviews the contrast improvement settings on the FG2421 basically do nothing. Well, turns out all the reviews never encountered the proper scenario. Heck, even I did only by chance. Rymdkapsel is a game that is 80% pure black and in it I could still see how the backlight was in fact not 0 but had residue, even with daylight in my room. Setting Contrast to "Enhanced" really made a huge difference in this game. The visible contrast improved a lot, with the blacks much darker while keeping the highlights level.

I now have it on by standard since in regular use scenario it does not fiddle with the image and in really really dark cases it gives a great boost in perceived contrast. Hats off, Eizo, good one.

Chettlar

Banned
IPS panels are hard to reliably get 120Hz out of without a range of issues. When you're talking about overclocking stuff like the QNIX or Catleap, it's not a manufacturer backing it saying "this runs at 120Hz". This makes it prohibitively expensive on the AIB/manufacturer to cherry pick panels that run at 120Hz flawlessly, or just too much of a quality control nightmare.

Heck, even the Eizo Foris is $600 and it's only 1080p with a VA panel. Think about the pricing on an even more niche item like a 1440p VA panel, and I'd imagine a price tag that's well above $1000.

I'd put $10 down that says it never happens, at least with IPS. With VA panels, there's a chance.

Interesting. I might settle with VA in that case. As long as the color is good and correct and balanced (which even TN panels can have some great color, such as the BenQ one; I had no idea it was a TN panel), and it can do the other things, I can deal with that.

There's got to be a way to make a panel that has IPS quality colors, while still being able to do all those other things. It may just be far in the future.

Damnit the future is too slow.

FoxSpirit

Interesting. I might settle with VA in that case. As long as the color is good and correct and balanced (which even TN panels can have some great color, such as the BenQ one; I had no idea it was a TN panel), and it can do the other things, I can deal with that.

There's got to be a way to make a panel that has IPS quality colors, while still being able to do all those other things. It may just be far in the future.

Damnit the future is too slow.
You seriously overestimate the impact of 100% colours on overall IQ. Unless you are doing semi-pro or pro photo editing. Heck, the lighting in your room most likely completely trashes the accuracy of your whitepoint in the evenings.
Trust me, my last monitor was a calibrated IPS.

But what good are ccurate colours if they exist within a grey wash of hardly any contrast? Also, have you made greyscale uniformity tests? How is the banding/evenness of everything? This Eizo is the first monitor I have that shows absolutely no banding whatsoever and flowing greyscale images appear perfectly flowing, no weird mini-abberations anywhere. Without a good 10-bit LUT it's all for nothing.

For the past 4-5 years I went through 1 monitor per year, last year I even had 2. I was never happy in the end. Until now. Good god.

Disclaimer: this monitor is not without flaws but it does everything else so well it doesn't really faze me. For me, there currently is no alternative. It's either this monitor or waiting for an even better one.

scottzorus

Neo Member
After looking at the different connectors, I take it Displayport is the best for trying to get 120fps from 4k? Or 120fps from 1440p?

Or would HDMI 2.0 do the same thing Displayport does?

Chettlar

Banned
You seriously overestimate the impact of 100% colours on overall IQ. Unless you are doing semi-pro or pro photo editing. Heck, the lighting in your room most likely completely trashes the accuracy of your whitepoint in the evenings.
Trust me, my last monitor was a calibrated IPS.

But what good are ccurate colours if they exist within a grey wash of hardly any contrast? Also, have you made greyscale uniformity tests? How is the banding/evenness of everything? This Eizo is the first monitor I have that shows absolutely no banding whatsoever and flowing greyscale images appear perfectly flowing, no weird mini-abberations anywhere. Without a good 10-bit LUT it's all for nothing.

For the past 4-5 years I went through 1 monitor per year, last year I even had 2. I was never happy in the end. Until now. Good god.

Disclaimer: this monitor is not without flaws but it does everything else so well it doesn't really faze me. For me, there currently is no alternative. It's either this monitor or waiting for an even better one.

I know, but man dat lightboost. I have to do without something though in this equation. :( I mean, there's always down sampling if I want to make do with 1080p instead of 1440p.

I wish there was a way to have all the things. :mad:

After looking at the different connectors, I take it Displayport is the best for trying to get 120fps from 4k? Or 120fps from 1440p?

Or would HDMI 2.0 do the same thing Displayport does?

Dual-link DVI I think is what you want (not single-link. There's a big difference).

I don't know about HDMI 2.0.

Rizific

What would be the major differences? Is it the 144hz of the 27"? Those are the two that I'm looking at and I'm trying to decide if going down from a 27 to a 24 is worth the $100 difference. I think I'll be sad if go down to a 24" though.

mkenyon

Banned
What would be the major differences? Is it the 144hz of the 27"? Those are the two that I'm looking at and I'm trying to decide if going down from a 27 to a 24 is worth the $100 difference. I think I'll be sad if go down to a 24" though.
Totally different panels. No G-Sync on the 27". The 27" also supposedly has a much higher chance of dead pixels.

mkenyon

Banned
Yes. If you want 27", ASUS is releasing a 1440p G-Sync model in a month or two. The QNIX is good too, but no G-Sync.

If you have an AMD card, and want a 27" @ 1080p, then the ASUS is a good pick, but I'd still suggest the QNIX Evolution over it, due to being 1440p and PLS.

Bear

Has anyone written up any experiences about using lightboost with fighting games?

I'm not big on fighting games, but the few that I own are essentially unchanged since they are all locked to 60 fps (like most fighting games, afaik). Lightboost looks great on games running closer to the refresh rate, but the blur reduction isn't all that significant for games at 60 fps.

Fighting games are built around a specific frame rate, so I guess I should have expected it, but I was a little disappointed that they don't benefit as much as FPS or action games since they always benchmark so well.

Water

Joined the 120Hz master race today with an Eizo FG2421!
It replaces my six years old, recently deceased Dell 2405FPW (PVA, 1920x1200).
Initial verdict: Very nice display. Not quite as impressive initially as I thought it would be, but I'm glad I bought it.

• First thing I noticed (within seconds of plugging the display in, and without looking for it) was crosshatching. I haven't seen it on any display before. It's not hugely prominent or disturbing though.
  • The gamma shift, which is apparently typical for VA panels, was also very noticeable on dark images at first but I mentally tuned it out soon enough.
  • For me, the display surface strikes a nice balance between matte and glossy. Not glossy enough to be disturbing, but less fuzzy than my old display.
  • The unit I got seems to be perfect as far as FG2421s go. No stuck or dead subpixels or edge bleeds. Going by recommendations I found from a HardOCP thread, I set colors to the 6500k preset, brightness to 16, gamma to 2.0. Contrast and black level were left at 50.
  • Colors look okay. No idea if they are better than on my old display. Actual color accuracy doesn't matter for me, as long as there's no TN style color shift and washout.
  • The blacks are nice. After turning dynamic contrast on, a black background with just a mouse cursor on it becomes the kind of super black I was expecting. Without dynamic contrast, black is much darker than on my old display, but still clearly gray. This contrasts with TFTCentral's review which found DC to have no effect. I'm not sure about the overall effects of the dynamic contrast yet - whether it negatively affects input lag, picture quality etc.
  • Tested 120Hz and strobing backlight with scrolling text, etc. Works as expected.
  • Tested FPS gaming with Left 4 Dead. Clearly 120Hz and strobing are helping, but it's hard to say how large the difference is. I'm not a big FPS player, and haven't played L4D before - I picked it for testing because my GPU wouldn't have been able to push much else to 120FPS. I'll have to compare later what happens if I disable strobing or drop to 60Hz after playing at 120Hz for a while. Also, I didn't think about vsync and played for a good while before noticing from the settings menu that it was off - apparently I don't notice tearing at those framerates.
  • Overall, playing in 120Hz didn't quite have the "whoa" effect I was expecting. I figure the difference will grow later on when I upgrade my PC and become able to play games with more texture and geometry detail, thus more to lose to motion blur.

Water

Your Bravia is probably only 60 Hz, so 120Hz monitors are twice as good. :)
... and when that is the case, the "120hz" or "240hz" modes on the TV just add lag and should be disabled for gaming.
That said, some high-end Bravias have real 120Hz and some even have strobed backlight.

Eusis

... and when that is the case, the "120hz" or "240hz" modes on the TV just add lag and should be disabled for gaming.
That said, some high-end Bravias have real 120Hz and some even have strobed backlight.
Interesting. But would you even be able to use that for PC gaming? Seemed to me you'd need DisplayPort or DVI for that and couldn't use it over HDMI, but maybe there's exceptions I don't know about?

Water

Interesting. But would you even be able to use that for PC gaming? Seemed to me you'd need DisplayPort or DVI for that and couldn't use it over HDMI, but maybe there's exceptions I don't know about?
On most TVs you can't actually push 120hz input into the TV even if the panel is 120hz, but on some individual models it's (unofficially) possible. I'm sure it will get more common in the future.
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-pc-to-tv/

Have you tried locking a game to 60 fps and then 120fps to appreciate the difference?

I think when you look at 60 fps co ntent, and then anything refreshed above it... you really see why 120hz is nice.

I just got a BenQ XL2420Z and I'm quite impressed. This is my first 120/144hz monitor and I could tell a difference right away, especially with the motion blur reduction technology enabled. Out of the box the presets were rather crappy, but after tinkering with it everything looks good.

EDIT: Whelp, turns out this stupid monitor has a firmware bug when it comes to the blur reduction technology that can't be user updated. I'd have to send it in. To top it off, BenQ's service number doesn't work, it kicks me to a voicemail box where I can't leave any messages. I'm done. Don't have time to deal with a monitor where the main feature isn't working. Went with the Eizo instead and this thing is going back.

OuiOuiBa

120Hz monitors are a great step for LCD to catch up with CRT in regards to motion blur, but I must say I am disappointed with software support (60fps or 30fps capped PC games), to the point that I regret my purchase, I think I should have purchased a good 60Hz IPS and purchase a 120Hz monitor later.
60fps looks terrible on my XL2411T - try playing Bit Trip Runner and you will see what I mean, it creates terrible "frame doubling" issues.
There are workarounds (namely forcing lightboost) but this is not standard at all to this day and only work with specific hardware.

=> what about a 120fps games and tweaks list ?
So far I could only find that one, which is fairly old and incomplete.

@Water: you may want to completely disable the default motion blur in L4D, it makes 120fps less noticeable.

Eusis

If that list is anything to go by most of those are Japanese or 2D games, the former doesn't surprise and the latter... I'd question if it needs it, but then that's probably a case where seeing is believing anyway, would be nice to see how it would feel for a traditional platformer anyway. Not that it isn't disappointing, but those seem like games that would be the usual suspects.

Stuff like ME3 is kind of surprising though, but leave it to Bioware to chop controller support out when it seems as if literally every other developer includes it if it's multiplatform, yet fail to actually accommodate unique PC strengths. Or at least keep the door open for the future anyway.

So my Eizo arrived yesterday. Even before calibration, the colors were so much better than the BenQ. And the viewing angles on this thing also blow away the BenQ. I can't believe how much of a difference there is between the two monitors for only $100 more. The 240hz blur reduction feature doesn't dim the screen nearly as much as Lightboost or BenQ's blur reduction feature and works flawlessly. I'm very happy with this monitor and I had wished I just went with it originally instead of trying to go for the BenQ because it was slightly cheaper. Never again.

OuiOuiBa

First, make sure your output settings are set to 120Hz, not 60Hz.
Focus your eyes on the mouse cursor, move it quickly (preferably over a dark background) and enjoy smoothness.

PS. this is not really a joke

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Holding out for that Asus PG278Q.

I've noticed some really weird effects that I think are due to postprocessing with the Lightboost hack. Parts of the game must think it's rendering in stereo 3D or something. Really weird motion blur on vehicles in Far Cry 3.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
First, make sure your output settings are set to 120Hz, not 60Hz.
Focus your eyes on the mouse cursor, move it quickly (preferably over a dark background) and enjoy smoothness.

PS. this is not really a joke

How do I do that? The display options in control panel only list 59hz and 60hz. Do I have to do the Lightboost driver thing? Will it affect the system? Should I wait until I replace the broken thermal paste on the CPU?

OuiOuiBa

The display options in control panel only list 59hz and 60hz.
Make sure you are using dual link DVI. Some graphics cards have 2 DVI ports but only one is dual link.
Do I have to do the Lightboost driver thing?
I don't think so. The lightboost hack I was talking above is to get 60Hz content to look better w/ a native 120Hz device, but it is much better to use 120Hz when software supports it (Windows desktop does).
Will it affect the system? Should I wait until I replace the broken thermal paste on the CPU?
Unless your rig had a seriously undersized cooling system, I would not worry about it ;)
Besides, changing thermal paste can make small improvements but it is nothing like replacing the stock fans with better quality ones, do not expect miracles.

First thing I hear about this, Raticus79, interesting to know...

crun

Banned
Any leaks on availability/pricing of G-Synced 1080p 24" or 27" monitors? :(

Almost march and still no news

mkenyon

Banned
Any leaks on availability/pricing of G-Synced 1080p 24" or 27" monitors? :(

Almost march and still no news
ASUS VG248QE is $250-280, G-Sync Module is $150, but is currently out of stock on NVIDIA's website.

You can get it preinstalled from Overlord PC's for $490.

The 27" 1440p ASUS 120Hz monitor will be available in about 2 months for $800.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Make sure you are using dual link DVI. Some graphics cards have 2 DVI ports but only one is dual link.

I don't think so. The lightboost hack I was talking above is to get 60Hz content to look better w/ a native 120Hz device, but it is much better to use 120Hz when software supports it (Windows desktop does).

Unless your rig had a seriously undersized cooling system, I would not worry about it ;)
Besides, changing thermal paste can make small improvements but it is nothing like replacing the stock fans with better quality ones, do not expect miracles.

First thing I hear about this, Raticus79, interesting to know...

Thanks, I think there's a second port back there. I'll try it tomorrow.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
120Hz monitors are a great step for LCD to catch up with CRT in regards to motion blur, but I must say I am disappointed with software support (60fps or 30fps capped PC games), to the point that I regret my purchase, I think I should have purchased a good 60Hz IPS and purchase a 120Hz monitor later.
60fps looks terrible on my XL2411T - try playing Bit Trip Runner and you will see what I mean, it creates terrible "frame doubling" issues.
There are workarounds (namely forcing lightboost) but this is not standard at all to this day and only work with specific hardware.

=> what about a 120fps games and tweaks list ?
So far I could only find that one, which is fairly old and incomplete.

@Water: you may want to completely disable the default motion blur in L4D, it makes 120fps less noticeable.
Lightboosted games running in a window look a hell of a lot smoother on my setup, even at 60fps. Case in point is Skullgirls. Don't really know why though.

saelz8

ASUS VG248QE is can do 120hz at 1080p, right?

No stupid Max Refresh at Lower Res's BS, like on some $150 Range "75 Hz" monitors, right?

Top Bottom