• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

120/144Hz Thread of Lightboosting Pixel Perfect Headshots

spootime

Getting very visible horizontal gray lines in my xl2420Te when I use lightboost. Weirdly theyre only in the top right hand corner. What do?

saelz8

It can do 144Hz at 1080p.

Sweet.

Waiting for ASUS VG248QE to come back into stock on Amazon. I refuse to buy a monitor from Newegg, with their shitty 8 Pixel Return Policy.

Edit. Looks like Neweggs policy changed.

Paige: Hi, my name is Paige. How may I help you?
You: Hi Paige, whats your return policy for monitors with dead pixels?
You: How many dead pixels would qualify for a return?
Paige: I apologize for that inconvenience. We will replace a monitor if it is delivered with one dead pixel. Would you please provide me with the sales order number in question?
You: I dont have the monitor yet, I was interested in purchasing one. I just wanted a little piece of mind. So the return policy includes one dead pixel. Ok. Would I have to pay for shipping, if by chance, the monitor I ordered had a dead pixel? Or does Newegg cover that?
Paige: We will be responsible for the return shipping in this case. But please make sure to keep all the original packaging or the return will be denied.
You: Ok, thank you. That's all I need. Take care.

Cool.

Guess I'll buy from Newegg. NO TAX.

gamma

Guys after reading up on this thread and elsewhere I'm thinking about getting the Eizo FG2421. It's ~500€ on Amazon but they have them as warehousedeals "like new" for 344€ which sounds pretty good. They only thing I worry about is that warehousedeals means that someone else had it and sent it back so there might be something wrong with it? What do you guys think? 344€ is pretty good for the Eizo.

Water

Guys after reading up on this thread and elsewhere I'm thinking about getting the Eizo FG2421. It's ~500€ on Amazon but they have them as warehousedeals "like new" for 344€ which sounds pretty good. They only thing I worry about is that warehousedeals means that someone else had it and sent it back so there might be something wrong with it? What do you guys think? 344€ is pretty good for the Eizo.
If you aren't risking much (can return, warranty intact) that's a sick price. They are 550€ new here. I bought mine for 420€ and considered that a very good deal; it had been used for ~40 hours at Assembly Winter as an official Dota2 competition display or something. You can see my impressions above in the thread.

gamma

If you aren't risking much (can return, warranty intact) that's a sick price. They are 550€ new here. I bought mine for 420€ and considered that a very good deal; it had been used for ~40 hours at Assembly Winter as an official Dota2 competition display or something. You can see my impressions above in the thread.

Yeah, it's Amazon so returning etc. is no problem. My worry is that someone bought it and returned it because it has some problem.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Getting very visible horizontal gray lines in my xl2420Te when I use lightboost. Weirdly theyre only in the top right hand corner. What do?

I get that too! Augh! Finally! I'm not the only one!

It's not just lightboost, 3D mode too (which is actually the same mode)

spootime

I get that too! Augh! Finally! I'm not the only one!

It's not just lightboost, 3D mode too (which is actually the same mode)

It doesn't occur on 144hz, so I just leave my monitor on that. I like it better anyway but its still kind of annoying

s-bojan

Banned
I've been checking the prices in my country and XL2411T is 285e(~390$), while VG248QE is 340e(~470$).
What do you think, should I buy Benq, Asus or maybe wait for something else(I am still using integrated GPU due to r9 290 shortage)?

Water

I've been checking the prices in my country and XL2411T is 285e(~390$), while VG248QE is 340e(~470$).
What do you think, should I buy Benq, Asus or maybe wait for something else(I am still using integrated GPU due to r9 290 shortage)?
Since you don't have a proper GPU, why wouldn't you wait for the models with integrated G-Sync that should be out soon?

Durante

I recently got this:
exd7d.jpg

Quick impressions:
  • G-sync is (after a driver update!) just as good as I hoped/expected it to be. Responsiveness is fantastic, no tearing at all obviously, and completely smooth with any > ~40 framerate. I tried it in some games which have a software framerate lock which sometimes interferes badly with V-sync and leads to intermittent stuttering, and they were absolutely smooth. Same thing for a game which varies between 45-90 FPS.
  • ULBM isn't that impressive to me compared to normal 144Hz or G-sync. I honestly can't tell that much difference in games beyond the reduced contrast. But then again, I've never been a ultra-competitive FPS gamer. The smoothness, responsiveness and minimal input lag of 144Hz or G-sync are sufficient for me to make even quick FPS feel perfect, without the need for strobing.
  • Finally, TN technology is still just as awful as I remember it. I haven't used a TN screen in 8 years or so and honestly thought it would have gotten a bit better by now, but it's just atrocious IQ wise. Even after calibrating the colors with my Spyder (default settings were terrible), just looking at GAF the shittyness (I can't think of a better term) of the technology is readily apparent. You know how there is an orange symbol next to each new post on GAF? Well, when looking at the front page straight on in fullscreen, the upper symbols are red-orange, the center ones are orange and the lower ones are green-orange.

Because of the TN-iness of the display I honestly can't stand using it for normal work or even browsing, but for gaming (particularly fast-paced action games or ones with a variable framerate where it's hard to always maintain 60 FPS) it does have distinct advantages.

We really really need a G-sync display with a better panel. Badly.

wildfire

Banned
Cool that you liked lightboost but I will have to point out your complaint about color reproduction has to be specific to the panel.

On my TN display I've manually tweaked my settings since I don't own a colorimeter. I see a different shading like you describe for the neogaf page. But it's not so harsh that I could identify the faded orange at the bottom to the brighter orange. at the top as a distinct blend of colors.

Tain

Can you try MAME without vsync, Durante? I've heard someone on shmups with the module say that it doesn't work, but it could be because they were using a black frame insertion variant of MAME or something. I don't know.

Is that the VG248QE-based one?

Durante

Cool that you liked lightboost but I will have to point out your complaint about color reproduction has to be specific to the panel.

On my TN display I've manually tweaked my settings since I don't own a colorimeter. I see a different shading like you describe for the neogaf page. But it's not so harsh that I could identify the faded orange at the bottom to the brighter orange. at the top as a distinct blend of colors.
It could just be that I'm an extremely sensitive (if you want to be generous, or nit-picky/pedantic/annoying if not) guy when it comes to this kind of IQ issues :p

Can you try MAME without vsync, Durante? I've heard someone on shmups with the module say that it doesn't work, but it could be because they were using a black frame insertion variant of MAME or something. I don't know.
You mean try G-sync with it? Sure.

Durante

Using the version of MAME I installed a while ago (0.144u7) and Bubble Bobble to test, with throttling activated but V-sync off and the D3D9 display backend everything seems to work well. The game appears (using external FPS measurement) to run at its correct 59.2 Hz refresh rate, I did not notice any frame skips or hiccups, and the monitor reports that G-sync is activated.

Is that the VG248QE-based one?
Yes.

ss_lemonade

Sweet.

Waiting for ASUS VG248QE to come back into stock on Amazon. I refuse to buy a monitor from Newegg, with their shitty 8 Pixel Return Policy.

Edit. Looks like Neweggs policy changed.

Paige: Hi, my name is Paige. How may I help you?
You: Hi Paige, whats your return policy for monitors with dead pixels?
You: How many dead pixels would qualify for a return?
Paige: I apologize for that inconvenience. We will replace a monitor if it is delivered with one dead pixel. Would you please provide me with the sales order number in question?
You: I dont have the monitor yet, I was interested in purchasing one. I just wanted a little piece of mind. So the return policy includes one dead pixel. Ok. Would I have to pay for shipping, if by chance, the monitor I ordered had a dead pixel? Or does Newegg cover that?
Paige: We will be responsible for the return shipping in this case. But please make sure to keep all the original packaging or the return will be denied.
You: Ok, thank you. That's all I need. Take care.

Cool.

Guess I'll buy from Newegg. NO TAX.
Hope you're ready for messed up and/or dull colors with the vg248qe. Its a great monitor when running LB and high framerates but I didn't expect color quality to be as bad as it is. I've only used a handful of LCD monitors (Samsung px2370, some cheap 16:10 and 16:9 LG monitors), all TN and this is by far the worst. Running in higher HZ amplifies the color issues, and running lightboost makes things even worse with something that looks like dithering, or dots that appear in low contrast areas.

Here's someone with the same issue and with offscreen images:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=35668435&postcount=1

neptunes

I noticed a lot of the panels listed in the OP are TN, I thought those were considered bad while IPS are considered good.

What is more preferable? 8-bit TN panel or 6-bit IPS panel? IPS monitors can't get to high refresh rates to my knowledge.

From my earlier research all true 8-bit panels are north of $500USD. All monitors below that price point are 6-bit. Even the IPS monitors.

gamma

I noticed a lot of the panels listed in the OP are TN, I thought those were considered bad while IPS are considered good.

That's true but as far as I understand it IPS panels can't do 120hz which is what you want for gaming. So it's either 120hz and bad colors etc. (TN) or 60hz and good IQ (IPS). The only exception right now is the Eizo FG2421 which has a VA panel. It's way better than TN but worse than IPS but can do 120hz. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Niks

Hope you're ready for messed up and/or dull colors with the vg248qe. Its a great monitor when running LB and high framerates but I didn't expect color quality to be as bad as it is. I've only used a handful of LCD monitors (Samsung px2370, some cheap 16:10 and 16:9 LG monitors), all TN and this is by far the worst. Running in higher HZ amplifies the color issues, and running lightboost makes things even worse with something that looks like dithering, or dots that appear in low contrast areas.

Here's someone with the same issue and with offscreen images:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=35668435&postcount=1

This.
Goddamn I bought the 248qe on gaf hype, and while the 144hz is nice, im really dissapointed in color reproduction. Whites are overblown, blacks are not deep enough... its a mess. Hell my 5 year old cheap ass TN lcd model gives me better colors.

anyone know any calibration setup for this monitor?

mkenyon

Banned
One is TN, one is PLS, one is VA. There isn't most of anything :p
This.
Goddamn I bought the 248qe on gaf hype, and while the 144hz is nice, im really dissapointed in color reproduction. Whites are overblown, blacks are not deep enough... its a mess. Hell my 5 year old cheap ass TN lcd model gives me better colors.

The number of people that say this are definitely just a fraction. As a gaming monitor for anything competitive or fast paced, what you lose in color you gain in motion blur reduction. But if you really want nice colors and lightboost, then the way to go is the Eizo.
That's true but as far as I understand it IPS panels can't do 120hz which is what you want for gaming. So it's either 120hz and bad colors etc. (TN) or 60hz and good IQ (IPS). The only exception right now is the Eizo FG2421 which has a VA panel. It's way better than TN but worse than IPS but can do 120hz. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The colors on the Eizo are better than some IPS/PLS panels. The contrast ratio is pretty insane with the native lightboost function as well. It also has a semi-gloss coating that helps a lot.

Durante

This.

I can post my Argyll CMS sRGB / 6500k white point profile later. Obviously indivdual monitors differ and it doesn't help with the TN angle dependency, but it should still be way better than standard.

gamma

The colors on the Eizo are better than some IPS/PLS panels. The contrast ratio is pretty insane with the native lightboost function as well. It also has a semi-gloss coating that helps a lot.

I've heard there are some differences between the panels in the FG2421 (as in panel lottery), is that true? Do you know what the problems in the bad ones are?

mkenyon

Banned
I've heard there are some differences between the panels in the FG2421 (as in panel lottery), is that true? Do you know what the problems in the bad ones are?
From what I can tell, it was a bad early batch. I haven't seen any negative reports in awhile. it was mostly stuff from the first couple of weeks.

Valtýr

Was directed here from this thread I made.

I'm in the market for a monitor. 24, or 27 inches. 200-300 bucks price range. Good for general usage and also for gaming. I'm not into tons of twitch stuff and it would be used for a lot of controller based games and the occasional game of Battlefield.

I have a 23" Asus from a few years ago and it's been great but it's old and beat up so I want something to go along side it.

It's been mentioned, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2HH7G0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This seems like a pretty great monitor.

there's also this IPS 27" Asus: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B17C5KO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mkenyon

Banned
Valtýr;103388444 said:
Was directed here from this thread I made.

I'm in the market for a monitor. 24, or 27 inches. 200-300 bucks price range. Good for general usage and also for gaming. I'm not into tons of twitch stuff and it would be used for a lot of controller based games and the occasional game of Battlefield.

I have a 23" Asus from a few years ago and it's been great but it's old and beat up so I want something to go along side it.

It's been mentioned, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2HH7G0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This seems like a pretty great monitor.

there's also this IPS 27" Asus: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B17C5KO/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Console?

Hey man, maybe he wants that 1080p60fpsWithGSyncJustInCase action, no need to kick him out of the master race just because he likes to PC game with a controller!

Water

Valtýr;103388444 said:
The VG248QE is good, but whether you are going to benefit from 120/144Hz depends on having enough CPU and GPU to actually push out those framerates (or close).

On the other hand, if you happen to have a Nvidia GPU and you wait for a VG248QE successor that has G-Sync, that would be good with any framerate above 40. They aren't going to hit the $300 pricepoint initially, though.

Most likely you'd be best served by an IPS with low input lag and good contrast. Eizo FS2333 would be great for you (I considered buying one before I ended up with the FG2421), but it's a bit out of your price range unless you find a good deal. There are many cheaper 1080p IPS displays; check reviews that have input lag measurements.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey man, maybe he wants that 1080p60fpsWithGSyncJustInCase action, no need to kick him out of the master race just because he likes to PC game with a controller!
I don't intend to at all, I just want to make sure as then suggesting which monnitor to go with drastically changes to best suit one's needs.

Like Water's suggestion above. Much better than 120Hz stuff if you're not going to leverage the capabilities.

Valtýr

Nope! PC but a lot of it is with a controller.

The VG248QE is good, but whether you are going to benefit from 120/144Hz depends on having enough CPU and GPU to actually push out those framerates (or close).

On the other hand, if you happen to have a Nvidia GPU and you wait for a VG248QE successor that has G-Sync, that would be good with any framerate above 40. They aren't going to hit the $300 pricepoint initially, though.

Most likely you'd be best served by an IPS with low input lag and good contrast. Eizo FS2333 would be great for you (I considered buying one before I ended up with the FG2421), but it's a bit out of your price range unless you find a good deal. There are many cheaper 1080p IPS displays; check reviews that have input lag measurements.

Thanks for the input. I ordered the Asus since it seems fairly good and in my price range. My PC is pretty modern so I think I will definitely benefit from the 144hz.

Wookieomg

Hey GAF. I'm looking to get a new monitor soon. I'm aware of Gsync emerging in a plethora of consumer-ready monitors soon, as well as the superb quality of 1440p IPS display panels... What I'm wondering is: What are the trade-offs/gains and losses/pros and cons of these two particular monitors against another?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

The ASUS VG248QE vs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKAS...643314?pt=AU_comp_monitor&hash=item1c28fb5172

The Yamasaki Catleap Q270 LED SE

I am really wanting to get one of these soon, but I have not bought many monitors before. I have perused the links that GAF has provided in various threads pertaining to buying a new monitor, but I am woefully out of my comfort zone with pulling the trigger on one of these just yet.

I don't mind technical lingo, so come at me GAFbros. I want the nitty gritty on which of these would be better suited for me.

That being said, my needs are... Not particular, so to speak. I want really fast refresh rates, super low latency, and great resolution. And that aligns with the Catleap, but reading about Gsync and all its glory REALLY makes me want to either look into the VG248QE with a DIY Gsync kit, or wait till Gsync becomes more widespread in monitor manufacture; not to mention, the VG248QE has some impressive specs itself, albeit capped at 1080p.

Please help!

P.S. I haven't read this thread from beginning to end, so forgive me if this question is asked all the time.

Specs of my rig:
i5 2500k 3.4ghz (not overclocked yet)
radeon hd 7970
16GB ram
2TB HDD, 64GB SSD
1200W PSU
asrock p67 extreme4 gen3 mobo

Water

The ASUS VG248QE vs.
The Yamasaki Catleap Q270 LED SE

Specs of my rig:
i5 2500k 3.4ghz (not overclocked yet)
radeon hd 7970
Well, these two are very different displays. What are your priorities? How much competetive FPS gaming or similar, vs other gaming? Productivity use?

It's tough to reliably achieve enough framerate to take full advantage of high-Hz displays. Your GPU will struggle unless you seriously sacrifice image quality in newer games. 1440p @ high Hz is right out.

If your priority is absolutely fluid motion and clarity (e.g. FPS gaming), and you aren't prepared to do a GPU upgrade, I think you almost have to wait for integrated 1080p G-Sync displays.
1440p mainly matters for productivity. I don't think it's that good for gaming (unless you have a monster GPU or several). At the moment you can take even the fastest single GPUs on the market and burn all their power on a new game with high settings and AA at 1080p, at least with downsampling. That said, the 1440p G-Sync option will be out soon, and you don't need a monster GPU to maintain >40fps on it. Unfortunately it's TN so you'd miss out on the IPS image quality.

Durante

Having both a 1440p Korean IPS and a 1080p 144 Hz G-sync TN, I'd much rather play the vast majority of games on the former. The IQ is just so much better. I do play mostly RPGs though.

mkenyon

Banned
RPG/Strategy/General Usage -> Korean 120Hz IPS/PLS

Competitive gaming -> ASUS VG248QE

Lots of money -> EIZO FG2421

1440p competitive gaming -> ASUS PG278Q

I'm a competitive gamer first, which probably has a lot to do with my personal preferences. But whereas some folks are really sensitive to color quality, I'm really sensitive to motion resolution and blur. As a result, I'd generally prefer the VG248QE and FG2421 over anything, even for general usage. Lightboost/strobing at 120Hz feels like an eye massage.

Water

This is going to be good for a lot of different purposes rather than just competetive gaming. It has resolution for productivity, capacity to go at high framerates if you have the power for it, and on the other hand you can also reasonably use with a more moderate CPU/GPU than normal 1440p displays because G-Sync allows you to painlessly dip down to ~40fps.

It costs more than the "lots of money" FG2421 option though. :)

mkenyon

Banned
It will be good for more stuff, but the fact that it's 27" and TN means that for folks who don't need the ultra responsive TN panel with ULMB/Lightboost, they'd still be better served by a IPS/PLS.

Tagyhag

Is anyone else just waiting for the ROG monitor release date? I hear it's still going to be TN but with much needed improvements.

Here's to hoping that's true.

Water

It will be good for more stuff, but the fact that it's 27" and TN means that for folks who don't need the ultra responsive TN panel with ULMB/Lightboost, they'd still be better served by a IPS/PLS.
Except if you want the flexibility and convenience that comes with G-Sync, which you currently can't get with IPS/PLS. If I hadn't been forced to buy a display early, I would be considering the Asus for that reason alone.

Wookieomg

Well, these two are very different displays. What are your priorities? How much competetive FPS gaming or similar, vs other gaming? Productivity use?

It's tough to reliably achieve enough framerate to take full advantage of high-Hz displays. Your GPU will struggle unless you seriously sacrifice image quality in newer games. 1440p @ high Hz is right out.

If your priority is absolutely fluid motion and clarity (e.g. FPS gaming), and you aren't prepared to do a GPU upgrade, I think you almost have to wait for integrated 1080p G-Sync displays.
1440p mainly matters for productivity. I don't think it's that good for gaming (unless you have a monster GPU or several). At the moment you can take even the fastest single GPUs on the market and burn all their power on a new game with high settings and AA at 1080p, at least with downsampling. That said, the 1440p G-Sync option will be out soon, and you don't need a monster GPU to maintain >40fps on it. Unfortunately it's TN so you'd miss out on the IPS image quality.

Hmm, I play just about every genre of game on my PC. More oft than not, it's platformers, action games, or rpg's though. First person shooters like CoD or Battlefield? Not so much, though occasionally.

Productivity-wise, I use 3DS Max, and various Adobe products like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Flash. And of course the bevy of Office products on occasion.

I really just want a great upgrade to what I'm using right now. I'm currently using a 42" HDTV from Vizio, VT420M. Specs are not the best, but I got it back in 2010 and I've got my rig set up in my living room. It's been pretty nice for a while, but screen real estate is becoming less important to me than IQ these days. And I'm not one to blow gobs of cash on a display that I only half-ass research. :p Hence why I come to you fine folks at GAF for tutelage and wisdom.

I was not aware of the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q being released and able to be purchased. For some reason I still thought GSYNC monitors wouldn't be available until this summer or fall. Pleasantly surprised, though the steep price is off putting..

I also wasn't aware that my video card couldn't handle 1440p/high hz in games. Figured most high-end video cards would handle it flawlessly, but I only play in 1080p/60hz typically, so I guess it's a ginormous increase in GPU load/CPU load. I wouldn't mind overclocking my CPU to be able to better take advantage of 1440p/high hz displays, but buying another hd 7970 to run in crossfire doesn't sound fiscally possible for me, on top of the monitor purchase. Ho hum.

RPG/Strategy/General Usage -> Korean 120Hz IPS/PLS

Competitive gaming -> ASUS VG248QE

Lots of money -> EIZO FG2421

I'm a competitive gamer first, which probably has a lot to do with my personal preferences. But whereas some folks are really sensitive to color quality, I'm really sensitive to motion resolution and blur. As a result, I'd generally prefer the VG248QE and FG2421 over anything, even for general usage. Lightboost/strobing at 120Hz feels like an eye massage.

Hm... I'm not sure I would classify myself as a "competitive gamer". What that term means anyway, I'm not quite sure. Playing in sponsored tournaments? Playing twitchy/low latency-required shooters? SC2? Dota2/LoL? I play games all the time though, and always look to play new titles, and by certain games' natures, I am competitive. But unless there's another definition, I'm not sure.

Overall, I just want the best bang for my buck that will last me years into the future. I typically future-proof my purchases/computers in case I want to upgrade on down the road. Point in case, I bought the 1200w PSU for my current rig with the intent of leaving myself some breathing room for slapping another GPU in there. So whichever monitor will see me on into the future with blisteringly gorgeous IQ and the best resolution/hz combo, I'm down for.

From what I gather, GSYNC - that is, with the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q - is the way to go for my rig the way it is now, because it's less stressful on the GPU/CPU. And the IQ will be similar to the Catleap I mentioned before. The only hurdle is the price, if I'm understanding this correctly, yeah?

Edit: So I mistakenly thought that the PG278Q was for sale right now, because when I searched up the ASUS PG278Q monitor on google I saw a Newegg link to a purchase page... But it wasn't that monitor... It was for another ASUS monitor, the PA279Q. Stupid Google. :( So I will have to wait for the ROG to come out later this year. Grr.

Edit: So I mistakenly thought that the PG278Q was for sale right now, because when I searched up the ASUS PG278Q monitor on google I saw a Newegg link to a purchase page... But it wasn't that monitor... It was for another ASUS monitor, the PA279Q. Stupid Google. :( So I will have to wait for the ROG to come out later this year. Grr.

It's a couple months out yet, and the price will be about 800 bucks or so. It ain't going to be cheap, but it's got a feature set that not many others can compete with at the moment.

As for competitive, maybe I can help with how I see it. I want one (A Swift, that is) not because I consider my skill level in several twitchy genres to be terribly good, but I have a preference for raw performance over IQ, if I have to choose one over the other. If it's in your nature to be more worried about reducing minor barriers to your play experience rather than maximum eye candy, then that should answer the question.

If you'd rather have the stunning colour reproduction, that choice should be clear too.

Top Bottom