• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

120Hz Next-Gen Gaming: All PS5 / Xbox Series X Games Announced + Best HDMI 2.1 Displays! ( Digital Foundry)

Kuranghi

Why? What exactly is Sony going to do different that isn't already been done for 2 years with LG. LG makes the panels for all OLED displays. They are the only manufacture on the market that offer OLED models with 4 HDMI 2.1 ports. they offer the most features with HDMI 2.1 in last year and current year models. VRR is a standard HDMI 2.1 feature and has been utilized frequently with Xbox One X, S and PC users today. No "teething" needs to be sorted out and Sony isn't the all be end all to show that when it is 2020 and they only offered one model that has 2.1 ports and they are coming out with a console this year. Doesn't inspire confidence to want to wait on Sony.

I don't like/wouldn't recommend LG OLEDs due to the motion artifacts, most people (in my experience and on this forum) prefer having motion interpolation on to make 24/30 fps content look right for them, so its not like you can avoid the issue by not using the motion enhancements and the bare frames will be the same as on a Sony OLED.

I've seen countless people online say it will be fine and just as good as Sony and then they are disappointed with the motion artifacts/soap opera effect. Its far from bad its just nowhere near as good as Sony and if I'm paying over a grand I want the best, if it was double the money then maybe it would not be worth it, but it isn't.

If I recommend it lots of people will still buy the LG anyway due to money or wanting the gaming features, and if they don't notice the artifacts then more power to them, they've saved money AND got all the awesome gaming features that the Sony doesn't have.

To the bolded part: My friend and I used to hear this like 10x a day in our job, its not really relevant for a couple of reasons: LG Electronics and LG Display are different companies so its not really LG with the pink logo making all the panels - lots of companies use other companies parts in their product, its how you put it all together that matters - and much more importantly the panels makeup doesn't have much to do with how its driven or how all the different software systems work on the TV (Not the UI). The hardware is also (slightly) different.

Thats how Sony OLEDs can have better motion (in two different ways now), better upscaling (its pretty close as of 2019 though), better image presentation/tonemapping and better gradient handling even though it uses the same panel as an LG OLED. I prefer the UI as well but which you prefer really depends on what you use it for, LG's smart home integration seems to be better for instance.

If Sony doesn't have many HDMI 2.1 TVs this year its probably because they consider TVs first and foremost to be for watching TV and films on, thats why they don't deactivate more processing in game mode to gain lower input lag at the expense of image quality. HDMI 2.1 is kinda meaningless for 4K TV shows and films because its 30hz and under. eARC and ALLM are nice "2.1 features" but Sony has supported them for years anyway. They will have tons of HDMI 2.1 TVs next year (and maybe even a few in September/October 2020), so thats why I think wait.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Interesting video. I feel a little like this, as I (intentionally, for price) bought a TV without the support recently.

RmDE6JV.jpg

I’m glad to see things progressing though, and for certain games (cross-gen stuff, old games, visually simplistic indies, multiplayer games targeting esports), it absolutely makes sense. I may have initially underestimated how many were viable for this.

I’m curious to see what happens with games that push the consoles, though. Will we see developers offering an option for 1080p/120FPS, and will gamers make that sacrifice? Will they go further and actually dial back some of their visual effects to make it happen?

I don’t know what the answer is, but I hope the option is available. As much as I, for a current-gen 60FPS example, would never impede the visuals and resolution of things like Shadow of the Colossus and Rise of the Tomb Raider for a better framerate... I still appreciated that I could, if I wanted to. I imagine others actually played them that way, to their preference, and had a great time.

It’s all exciting in any case. In a time where videogame visual progress is slow, if eventually worth the wait, we’ve had 4K, HDR, and now 120 FPS, all mainstreamed on consoles, and providing a huge jump, back-to-back-to-back

93xfan

Banned
It's a clever ploy by MS to divert criticism from Halo's lacklustre visuals: "120 Hz makes gives you an advantage in online games!" And Digital Foundry is only too happy to broadcast this idea to a larger audience, in particular at a time when there's only one confirmed 120 Hz game for the PS5.

And I couldn't help but laugh when I saw Orphan of the Machine propping up in DF's video.
Now it’s biased to talk about 120 frames per second gaming? This is getting sad.

93xfan

Banned
One hundred and twenty framez per second baby.
We have 8 milliseconds to render those sick games like Orphan of the Machine (which is so demanding it does not even run on PS5 lmao)
gg

Can we get a straw, man, to go with your cherry picking smoothie?

93xfan

Banned
Im awaiting delivery on a Vizio P75QX-H1. I seriously considered
OLED but after getting burned years ago on a Panasonic plasma, I didn't want to deal with the potential of burn in. Early user reviews seem to be generally positive.

I always worry about burn in, especially as I’m not the sole user of the TV. Let us know how it turns out

thelastword

Banned
DF could not wait to do this when they can actually test these games themselves to see how these supposedly 120Hz games run....

Ori struggled on XBONEX, I could definitely see it running better on Series X, but I don't see how the games he is propping now are surprising to us. Any of these games will run at 120Hz on both next gen machines....Especially those who were already 60fps on last gen machines.....Halo Infinite's MP at 120fps seems plausible for the graphics it has, MP graphics is lessened anyway so it makes it easier. Gears at 120fps in multiplayer is also a no brainer and won't task any of these next gen systems going by PC spec. It's similar to if MS announces Forza 7 at 120fps, realistically that should run at 240fps on next gen systems...

I was one of the first to applaud 120Hz, especially when Sony announced it. I got many remarks like "Pong", but now it would seem everybody is stoked. I remember saying that BR games, indies, AA will run at 4K 120fps and even some at 8k 60fps, so yes you can expect lots of these type of games to support that spec and that includes current gen remasters/boost ups......

Yet, I do not understand why DF talks about 120Hz on XBONES, there is no XBONE game that is 120Hz. Yet PS4 through VR had games actually supporting/running at 120Hz. There is nothing Sony has to confirm for 120Hz support, they've said they supported it ages ago, so I don't know why Leadbetter is pretending he is not sure where Sony stands here.

If we are simply going by developer announcements/interviews, though not official, Sony had a version of GT running at 8k 120Hz a long time ago with RT in place. Haven was announced to run at 120Hz, Dirt runs at 120fps for sure and even Pathless looks like it could run at 120Hz on PS5. Realistically, both next gen systems can run all current gen COD games at 120Hz.......And I can definitely see UC4 running at 4k 60fps and the MP can run at 120Hz, the same goes for LOU2.......And yet these two games are much more impressive visually than Gears 5.....I think Leadbetter should wait for further announcements before he goes giddy on 120Hz support. It seems they are only pushing it now because one console manufacturer has more 120fps games announced, when they can't even verify first hand how well they run at these target framerates. So it seems such an article is not ready for primetime on DF just yet, since they are an analysis outfit. Frankly, that piece was more news than tech tbh....So unless we have the games in hand and our trusty 4K 120Hz panels in tow....These are simply announcements till the test.

Hmmm, hey you heard it here first......Would it not be sweet if the PS OS gives you the ability to customize a stats overlay to see how your game runs? :unsure: That would be a sweet tool for next gen...

YCoCg

Gold Member
The MAIN aspect development wise, even stated in the video, will be the Variable Refresh Rate support. A big aspect and complaint from this gen is things like bad Vsync, Frame Pacing, etc, and 120Hz VRR will pretty much eliminate all of that, yes most games won't be running at the full 120fps but fluctuating between 40 and 120 without tearing and frame pacing issues WILL be the thing people notice.

Also, side note, expect the next Xbox and PlayStation to be HUGE for Arcade games, VRR will allow Arcade Perfect frame times for games like Mortal Kombat and older PC titles like OG DOOM, etc, you'll be able to get the most accurate versions of these games without frame interpolation or capping.

Velius

Banned
I still can’t believe how many people are downplaying the importance of this 120FPS push we’re seeing because they feel that it threatens their favorites plastic box.
I don't think I'm the one you're talking to but I do have some questions. Can you answer them for me?

First of all, is there any difference between 60 fps and anything above it? I thought that the human eye can't detect faster than 60

Jigga117

I don't think I'm the one you're talking to but I do have some questions. Can you answer them for me?

First of all, is there any difference between 60 fps and anything above it? I thought that the human eye can't detect faster than 60

I may be completely stupid when it comes to this stuff, but what happens in something like Fortnite or CoD multiplayer or a fightning game etc when a majority of people own 60hz displays? Is there an inherent advantage for people with 120hz? If so how is that dealt with (if at all)?

Last edited:

onQ123

I may be completely stupid when it comes to this stuff, but what happens in something like Fortnite or CoD multiplayer or a fightning game etc when a majority of people own 60hz displays? Is there an inherent advantage for people with 120hz? If so how is that dealt with (if at all)?

Yes they will have the advantage but people with monitors with low input lag already have advantages in online games.

Jigga117

odd that 120hz is a concern about what gives what advantage yet 144hz monitors have been out. Auto low latency, Xbox Series 1&2 controllers/Scuff And Mouse DPI all of this is an advanatage.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

In Fort, we already see that, with all players in the same pool. Matchmaking does a good job of keeping people on the same skill level, regardless of if they have technically better equipment.

It's easy to forget that 120 FPS doesn't automatically make you a pro player. Players can suck just as much even with every advantage.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Well the guys with a 120hz panel will have an advantage through more visual information but in the end SBMM does the job and it don't give a fuck whether you play at 30 or 240.
So the answer to that is it's not really a problem and look up what SBMM is. End result counts.

Rac3r

Really tempted to buy the Sony X900, but I know I shouldn't. I just finished FF7 Remake, TLOU2, and I'm pretty far through GoT, so it probably wouldn't get much use (I switch to a monitor for competitive games like Cod Warzone, etc.). Probably best to wait for the new consoles and see how Sony patches their new lineup of TVs, as I'm particularly interested the 48" A9 Master Series.

Gonna be a really hard decision between the Sony/LG Oled's and the X900. Ideally I'd wait until 2021 for a bigger selection of <50" oleds/HDMI 2.1/VRR but my current TV is really outdated and I'm def buying a PS5 day one.

Last edited:
Those 8.33ms frametimes are going give such an amazing feeling to your average joe... if they run their TV in game mode and turn off all the picture enhancements that add input lag, so no worries there right? :goog_sneaky: I doubt most people notice a major difference between 30 and 60 due to this.

And 120hz is going to be non-exsistent on most TVs anyway, at least 75% of sales I saw were 60hz panels (This is my rough figure from 3 years of TV sales in the UK, going by mine and 6 other reps figures, I'm reaching out to someone who is working for one of the big 4 brands right now for super recent information and will update if it contradicts my figures), so even if we say that most in-the-know people would buy online (I dont necessarily think this is true because they are likely to want to see it in person first imo) and its more like 65% thats still insane because a lot of people will be on 1080p TVs still.

So the amount of people that have 120hz is so low I can't see them spending a lot of time on this stuff, I reckon the game will be fluctuating like mad from 60-120hz and feel a bit unstable. G-Sync/FreeSync should fix that, within a certain fps range anyway.

My advice for an HDMI 2.1 OLED displays is to wait until Sony bring out more sets 2021, rather than buy one of the LGs. If you want an LCD then I'd also wait til 2021 since basically all 2020 sets from the big 4 brands are a downgrade in many ways over the 2019 sets. This is like OLED again, best to wait for a few years until the teething issues are sorted out, VRR is better and QMS is supported.

update - Colleague says ~70% of panels sold are 60hz for LG, probably a bit higher for Samsung and a bit lower for Sony.
Doesn't somy use lg oled panels? Also why wait since lg oled already supports hdmi 2.1 4k hdr 120Hz? As well as gsync and freesync. You mention people should wait but don't explain why? Just because you love sony brand and they aren't competing yet?

Kuranghi

Doesn't somy use lg oled panels? Also why wait since lg oled already supports hdmi 2.1 4k hdr 120Hz? As well as gsync and freesync. You mention people should wait but don't explain why? Just because you love sony brand and they aren't competing yet?

I didn't put details because most people own LG OLEDs and it was just antagonising them when I posted it before, but someone in this thread already asked what you did and literally said the "LG make aw the panels" line as well, which is funny to hear twice in one day. Here is my answer:

I don't like/wouldn't recommend LG OLEDs due to the motion artifacts, most people (in my experience and on this forum) prefer having motion interpolation on to make 24/30 fps content look right for them, so its not like you can avoid the issue by not using the motion enhancements and the bare frames will be the same as on a Sony OLED.

I've seen countless people online say it will be fine and just as good as Sony and then they are disappointed with the motion artifacts/soap opera effect. Its far from bad its just nowhere near as good as Sony and if I'm paying over a grand I want the best, if it was double the money then maybe it would not be worth it, but it isn't.

If I recommend it lots of people will still buy the LG anyway due to money or wanting the gaming features, and if they don't notice the artifacts then more power to them, they've saved money AND got all the awesome gaming features that the Sony doesn't have.

"LG make aw the panels pal": My friend and I used to hear this like 10x a day in our job, its not really relevant for a couple of reasons: LG Electronics and LG Display are different companies so its not really LG with the pink logo making all the panels - lots of companies use other companies parts in their product, its how you put it all together that matters - and much more importantly the panels makeup doesn't have much to do with how its driven or how all the different software systems work on the TV (Not the UI). The hardware is also (slightly) different.

Thats how Sony OLEDs can have better motion (in two different ways now), better upscaling (its pretty close as of 2019 though), better image presentation/tonemapping and better gradient handling even though it uses the same panel as an LG OLED. I prefer the UI as well but which you prefer really depends on what you use it for, LG's smart home integration seems to be better for instance.

If Sony doesn't have many HDMI 2.1 TVs this year its probably because they consider TVs first and foremost to be for watching TV and films on, thats why they don't deactivate more processing in game mode to gain lower input lag at the expense of image quality. HDMI 2.1 is kinda meaningless for 4K TV shows and films because its 30hz and under. eARC and ALLM are nice "2.1 features" but Sony has supported them for years anyway. They will have tons of HDMI 2.1 TVs next year (and maybe even a few in September/October 2020), so thats why I think wait.

Hope that clears up my reasoning, which is from my experience comparing Sony and LG (and Panasonic but not really relevant outside Europe) OLEDs TVs for 100s hours in different environments and all kinds of video input. The gap was much more prior to 2018 due to LGs upscaling sucking quite a bit before 2019, relatively, compared to Sony. The upscaling is better now but the motion processing is still rubbish.

YCoCg

Gold Member
If that's the case, by being fair we should all play on the same TV right? TVs have different latency levels, and not to mention there's people who play in cinema mode with all the TVs post processing turned on and playing over a 2.4Ghz WiFi connection.

The idea is to try and minimise input and display latency as much as possible, people will still have their own factors causing issues but as long as the best is done to reduce that means a better gaming experience all round.

Jigga117

I didn't put details because most people own LG OLEDs and it was just antagonising them when I posted it before, but someone in this thread already asked what you did and literally said the "LG make aw the panels" line as well, which is funny to hear twice in one day. Here is my answer:

Hope that clears up my reasoning, which is from my experience comparing Sony and LG (and Panasonic but not really relevant outside Europe) OLEDs TVs for 100s hours in different environments and all kinds of video input. The gap was much more prior to 2018 due to LGs upscaling sucking quite a bit before 2019, relatively, compared to Sony. The upscaling is better now but the motion processing is still rubbish.
See I didn’t respond to your original post because how laughable it is that your trying to recommend waiting for a company to release a maybe HDMI 2.1 models(I could have sworn in 2019 the statement was wait till 2020)
Because of upscaling and motion. There is no best tv on the market. All TVs have plus/minus issues or better performance than others. Sony TVs are not the be end all. Your telling people to wait in a thread about purchasing the tv for gaming purposes and your talking about upscaling. I have the 77c9 and 55c9. I don’t take anything personal about what someone “opinion” is about any electronic device. But my opinion is very popular on this forum alone along with owners and reviewers that people are and will be happy with their purchase of the 2019/20 OLED models and across the board overall they provide quality service whatever you use the tv for.

Last edited:
A few things worth noting.

Xbox 120hz support
HDMI 2.1 + HDMI-VRR
HDMI 2.0 + Freesync
LFC (low frame rate compensation) doubles/triples frames below mininmum 40hz range putting them back into the VRR range, requires 120hz output to function, good for removing stutter on low FPS content.
1440p support

So Xbox works with most 120hz displays on the market from Freesync PC monitors to HDMI 2.0 Samsung TV's that shipped with Freesync and the latest HDMI 2.1 displays. Also from the sounds of it in the DF video the Xbox Series X makes VRR mandatory unlike the Xbox One were it was broken with many games.

Playstation 120Hz support
HDMI 2.1 + HDMI-VRR

Thats it, Sony have said nothing about 120hz on anything other than HDMI 2.1 and if it stays that way dont assume any PC 120Hz monitor with a PS5 will run at anything other than 60Hz. Will HDMI-VRR support be system wide or will it be per title only which would grealty limit its usefulness.

If PS5 follows PS4 Pro resolution support than don't expect 1440p either making it unsuitable for many 1440p PC monitors.

Not all 144hz PC monitors support 120hz even the newest models on the market often launch without it, before buying any PC monitor download its manual and check its resolution list for 120hz support, a clever solution to this that the consoles could do would be to allow 144Hz output but cap FPS to 120.

Also watch out some budget TV's are going to launch next year with partial HDMI 2.1 features that will omit 120Hz support.

Banned
I think you'll be fine with a 120hz HDMi 2.0 TV for now. most games that will run at 120fps will most likely not also run at 4K, so having 1440p120hz is more than enough for these new consoles.
which is why I'll stick with mine for now... it has freesync and 1440p120hz and at least on Series X that will work. if Sony also supports HDMi 2.0 Freesync TVs is yet to be announced but I certainly hope so.

I can't stand motion interpolation. It's absolutely the first thing that I turn off. I also only play games on my oled /shrug. It's been a while since I looked but the last time I looked at reviews from places such as rtings and avforums, Sony tvs had higher input lag and all performed less than lg oleds. I'm not brand loyal to anything. I found that only leads to me having to make compromises. I always go with the best bang for the buck, dependability, features/future proof, and how well it works with all my stuff. The lg interface is super smooth and like a wii point and click. It also has the best input lag, hdmi 2.1, gsync compatible, and freesync and available now. So I still don't see the point in waiting unless like you mentioned motion interpretation. I can't imagine people actually liking that though lolol

Also I used to love Panasonic. Still have two Panasonic plasma tvs kicking ass. Wish they would come back to the US!

Kuranghi

I can't stand motion interpolation. It's absolutely the first thing that I turn off. I also only play games on my oled /shrug. It's been a while since I looked but the last time I looked at reviews from places such as rtings and avforums, Sony tvs had higher input lag and all performed less than lg oleds. I'm not brand loyal to anything. I found that only leads to me having to make compromises. I always go with the best bang for the buck, dependability, features/future proof, and how well it works with all my stuff. The lg interface is super smooth and like a wii point and click. It also has the best input lag, hdmi 2.1, gsync compatible, and freesync and available now. So I still don't see the point in waiting unless like you mentioned motion interpretation. I can't imagine people actually liking that though lolol

Also I used to love Panasonic. Still have two Panasonic plasma tvs kicking ass. Wish they would come back to the US!

Most people keep their TV in Vivid/Dynamic/Standard picture mode out of the box and never change the settings so motion interpolation will be on by default and input lag will be 80ms+. Most people by TVs for watching films and console gaming, movies are at 24hz and most console games are 30hz, so motion interpolation is seen as a necessity by most average people. I base this on showing uninterpolated 24hz movie footage running on an OLED to 100s of different people and they almost always preferred it with interpolation on or thought the bare frames were stuttery/something was wrong.

I don't like it and I never turn it on but most OLED owners complain about "stutttering" in 24/30hz content when motion interpolation is off so I think its pretty important for most people. Which is why I wasn't recommending it for other people.

Rtings doesn't take motion interpolation artifacts or upscaling quality into consideration because they consider it too subjective. It wouldn't fit in with their points based system so they just say all LG, Samsung and Sony are the same in these regards even though you can see the differences easily when they are next to each other, your average person won't notice. I notice it though so I point it out, if I recommend an LG OLED to someone and then they say "when things are in motion I see these weird skips and tearing and the image is softer than I thought it would be for 1080p" it would be kinda dickish of me to say "oh well i thought you wouldn't notice and its great value compared to the Sony", especially if I've been asked what the "best TV" to get within a certain end, ie low, mid, high or super-high.

The higher input lag on Sony is meaningless because no one can tell the difference between 26ms and 18ms input lag, the wireless controller lag + the games internal lag is 10-20x higher. I can see it would make a difference in competitive esports games but I only play singleplayer games and I'd be confused by anyone playing those games competitively on a TV over a monitor.

Did you notice how we didn't measure input in TV reviews not that long ago and no one cared what the input lag was? Its just another number to compare in marketing, as long as its under 50ms it doesn't really matter imo.

G-sync support is great, but doesn't matter for console players. I'm sure Sony will have VRR support next year in the sets that have HDMI 2.1.

In fact most people don't use game mode as I said above, so they are playing with an extra 80-100ms of input lag due to image processing and they don't think its unresponsive, a colleague is an enthusiast DMC V player (input lag VERY important there) and he had it in Vivid mode, I switched it to game mode and he was so happy that it felt more responsive... until a week later when he told me he didn't like the "dull picture" anymore and went back to Vivid even though it felt worse.

I could say more but I really can't be fucked with explaining this anymore, no offense meant to you I've just wrote this stuff out a million times now, here is a TL;DR:

TL;DR - An input lag difference of 8ms will be imperceptiple difference to almost all people. On Sony: the image processing is better, the motion processing is better, the gradient handling is better, the BFI system is better. Enjoy your excellent TV mate, I'm glad you saved money (y)

FeldMonster

I know I am in the minority, but I absolutely NEED motion interpolation ON. Movies at 24 fps are awful without it. Jittery, stuttering messes. For videogames (I exclusively play First Person Shooters, so I can't speak for other genres), game modes without interpolation cause an unnatural weightless sensation. In real life, movement, human or otherwise has acceleration. As an engineer, you can't convince me that unnatural physics is somehow more "realistic". I would prefer no lag but with highly customizable acceleration as in TitanFall 2, but few games have that.

I personally would wait to buy a 120 Hz TV for a few reasons. Mainly, I want multiple HDMI 2.1 ports and I refuse to deal with the burn-in of OLED. A RTINGS OLED burn in test showed scoreboard burn-in after 800 hours of playing an EA FIFA soccer game. 800 hours is less than 3 hours per day for 1 year. I don't know about you, but I plan on keeping my TV for at least 5 years. Certainly there testingbis more aggressive than normal use, but why risk it for such an expensive and important purchase. I will wait until there are LED/QLED options with multiple 2.1 HDMI ports.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I base this on showing uninterpolated 24hz movie footage running on an OLED to 100s of different people and they almost always preferred it with interpolation on or thought the bare frames were stuttery/something was wrong.

I don't like it and I never turn it on but most OLED owners complain about "stutttering" in 24/30hz content when motion interpolation is off so I think its pretty important for most people. Which is why I wasn't recommending it for other people.
Yep. I wish I'd known this before buying a LG OLED, and I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison IRL.

Still, there's currently no Sony OLED that has the full set of HDMI 2.1 features on all ports like LG OLEDs. And it's true that Sony's TVs cost significantly more.

Top Bottom