• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 minutes of exclusive XsX Scorn gameplay (4K)

DJT123

It looks freakin cool. Refreshing visuals/artistic style. Also running smooth as hell on whatever they were playing it with (XsX?)

Last edited:

GymWolf

He wasn't reloading the gun, he was switching out the gun module components. Unless there's some specific part you'd like to indicate.

EDIT: Never mind I saw what part you were talking about. Though, I don't see the issue really. In fact I think you mentioned this way back, and I didn't see the issue then, either.

Are people expecting a shoot-shoot, bang-bang FPS style of game? It really makes me wonder how some gamers today would've responded to something like System Shock if it came out in 2020 and the game defaulted to the Puzzles and Adventure parts being the dominant parts of the gameplay?

Maybe the average span of patience for a slower-paced experience with the typical gamer is dead now. Sad, because it was those kind of shifts (whether genuine or assumed) that caused survival horror to shift to a much more action-heavy design with games like RE4 leading the pack in that regard. There's a reason Capcom took so long to port the Gamecube RERemake and RE0 to PS4, XBO and PC....

I've always seen this game as more adventure-like with some puzzle elements and a big survival-horror feel, and intentionally light on action or shooting. So maybe saying parts of it are "Myst-like" is more in line with what they are intending? That explains things like the reload time; you wouldn't just fire off all your bullets in classic RE games and hope to reload swiftly on the spot while monsters were still around. Slow reloading works as a game mechanic in some style of survival-horror games because it forces you to be strategic with your confrontations. I don't know why this is being glossed over or not considered in this game's case 🤷‍♂️
Well to be honest, when they showed the gameplay for stuff like desu ex or dishonored(other first person titles who are not bang bang) people was far more interested in them.

The gameplay of skorn show very little about the game except for the art style and the fact that you use alien dicks guns to kill worm dicks creatures.

We didn't see any groundbreaking or even new gameplay mechanics, we don't know the story, we don't know almost anything about the title and this gameplay is not the clarifying moment that devs maybe hoped for.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Look I love the bio-mechanical style of H.R.Giger just as much as anybody else but when there is nothing expect this one style it just becomes mundane. If you don't cotrast it with anything else it will just be boring. The best way to emphasize crazy visuals is by putting them next to normal ones or at least have different types of crazy to switch between. Imagine if you were playing with normal guns in a run down apartment building with monsters running around but the cellar looked like the game does now, then you would reach a subway station and everything would look, more or less, normal, then you would enter another building or area and it would gradually start morphing into Giger's bio-mechanical nightmare, that would have been far more interesting and fun.

MastaKiiLA

I really want to know how man of those "looks average/like shit" guys acutally watched this on a decent 4k tv instead of some 300 bucks trash tv or 60 bucks 1080 monitor. Also this is compressed Youtube material.
I watched on my 4k TV, as I do all next-gen content. Its the lighting. This lacks the atmosphere to make that art style really hit. That's what the in-engine trailer had, and it's largely down to lighting. There's definitely room for improvement.

Barakov

looks boring
Looks fucking awesome. Its like you are literally placed inside an H.R Giger painting. Holy shit.
iu

DonJorginho

Banned
Looks really interesting, bit worried about what the gameplay loop and story is but the art style and atmosphere really intrigue me, looks good graphically too.

Happy to be a fan of all consoles, it is a good time to be into gaming imo.

Whitecrow

Banned
I watched on my 4k TV, as I do all next-gen content. Its the lighting. This lacks the atmosphere to make that art style really hit. That's what the in-engine trailer had, and it's largely down to lighting. There's definitely room for improvement.
I actually agree with this.

It looks good, but a better lighting could add so much more.

Handy Fake

Look I love the bio-mechanical style of H.R.Giger just as much as anybody else but when there is nothing expect this one style it just becomes mundane. If you don't cotrast it with anything else it will just be boring. The best way to emphasize crazy visuals is by putting them next to normal ones or at least have different types of crazy to switch between. Imagine if you were playing with normal guns in a run down apartment building with monsters running around but the cellar looked like the game does now, then you would reach a subway station and everything would look, more or less, normal, then you would enter another building or area and it would gradually start morphing into Giger's bio-mechanical nightmare, that would have been far more interesting and fun.

I was thinking this when I was rewatching the trailer. Totally agree. It's why "Aliens" works so well.

havok75

Very creepy and atmospheric. With one of the most unique weapons I think I've ever seen in a game. I like it, and will probably pick it up for P.C.

Aesthetically, it looks interesting and pretty good. Gameplay-wise, it seems like the anti-Doom Eternal. Gameplay will probably be decent, but it looks kind of empty I guess?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
There has to be more to it than just that. It's slow and sparse. I don't understand what the "game" part is supposed to be.
It reminds me of an old school PC game, where half the fun was figuring out what you were supposed to be doing. Still need to see more, but it has my attention.

Hendrick's

Makes me kinda uncomfortable that Giger's art-style is getting so thoroughly ripped-off and everyone is acting like its artistic genius.
Well at least they are up front about it. Don't see an issue with it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well at least they are up front about it. Don't see an issue with it.

They could hardly fail to be upfront when their entire game is based on another artist's signature style!

Not saying its unforgivable or anything, just that by itself I don't find it particularly impressive to simply wholesale copy an existing thing - no matter how well its implemented. I mean, how is it different from Genshin Impact ripping off BOTW's look? Is that supposed to be a good thing too?

This is absolutely not for me, but it looks (disgustingly) beautiful, definitely like wandering around inside a painting I would never put anywhere near my wall. Glad games like this exist for the twisted people who love them lol.

Xdrive05

Penises and buttholes everywhere.

Looks okay, but not that technically impressive to me. Hate to say cross gen looking, but that's how it seems to me - say, compared to Doom Eternal, which has similar aesthetic in places and much, much more happening on screen. There's more geometry here, which is cool, but not enough more to feel like something strikingly impressive. I think it looks really good for what it is, though.

Hendrick's

They could hardly fail to be upfront when their entire game is based on another artist's signature style!

Not saying its unforgivable or anything, just that by itself I don't find it particularly impressive to simply wholesale copy an existing thing - no matter how well its implemented. I mean, how is it different from Genshin Impact ripping off BOTW's look? Is that supposed to be a good thing too?
Not really the same. In your example they are both games and in this case it is just a game using an artists style. Are you also mad that Monument Valley used and MC Escher style art?

Or any of these games?
https://www.vice.com/en/article/qbxm9d/the-most-beautiful-video-games-inspired-by-famous-artists-211

Hustler

Microsoft hasnt hyped this game at all. Please take you blinders off. Its an indie title that they showed briefly once. Just because the developer decided to make it exclusive, doesnt mean that MS is responsible for the gameplay or anything in the game.

What're you talking about? This was shown at their first event and talked about multiple times as an exclusive to look out for. I've also seen people who are buying Xbox Series X, stating this is on the top of their lists to buy without seeing actual gameplay. It's not on the same level as No Man's sky given Microsoft hasn't been hyping this up for multiple E3s, but it was just an example that the actual gameplay (so far) isn't living up to the trailers that led up to this reveal.

Mr Hyde

Or any of these games?

Very interesting list. I love stuff like this, seeing where devs takes inspiration from, especially when it comes from painters. There is so much you can play with in terms of creativity and artstyle when you borrow elements from prolific painters, as we can see right here in the Scorn video.

oldergamer

What're you talking about? This was shown at their first event and talked about multiple times as an exclusive to look out for. I've also seen people who are buying Xbox Series X, stating this is on the top of their lists to buy without seeing actual gameplay. It's not on the same level as No Man's sky given Microsoft hasn't been hyping this up for multiple E3s, but it was just an example that the actual gameplay (so far) isn't living up to the trailers that led up to this reveal.
Yes it was shown at an indie event. Where have you seen ms mention or hype this game since then? Im sure they talked about it when asked but there is no perceived hype.

Also the fact some people are interested in it has nothing to do with your imaginary portrayal of ms hype. Your comment seems totally misplaced .

Just started playing Death Stranding last week. I can't play it for longer than 20 minutes at a time. Every boring delivery I make leads to a boring, jargon-filled monologue that ultimately means nothing. I skip almost everything because I know, whether I listen to their pointless speech or not, it's the same. I keep playing it every few days for 20 minutes at a time - because hey it's a Kojima game. Give it a chance. Surely this is gonna get better at some point?
alright.
What does this have to do with Scorn?
Have you read the thread title?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Gameplay has been shown for this for a long time. Here's some 2017 footage...

It's a weird game. It's a lot of things, but action shooter is not one of them. It's coming to Game Pass, so nobody has to be concerned about it.

Last edited:
I feel like it looks pretty stale. And I feel like there is just one small thing they could have done slightly differently and it would change everything.

Imagine if where ever you looked the flesh in the walls was pulsing, breathing, flexing back and forth, sweating visually and bleeding. All it needs is to make that crazy flesh shit feel constantly alive and this shit becomes 100x more immersive and scary imo, now it just feels like a static world with a few creep arse enemies.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not really the same. In your example they are both games and in this case it is just a game using an artists style. Are you also mad that Monument Valley used and MC Escher style art?

Or any of these games?
https://www.vice.com/en/article/qbxm9d/the-most-beautiful-video-games-inspired-by-famous-artists-211

I'm not mad about anything, just it takes more than copying a style to impress me.

Escher's a bad comparison though; what he's famous for was the employment of mathematic principles to draw physical impossible structures in a visually plausible manner. Its a technical, as opposed to a personal approach and considering he was a contemporary of all the other big names of the surrealistic art movement born in the 19th century.

Giger's work on the other hand was intensely personal, and what we consider specifically Giger-esque largely is the product of a single published volume of work, 1977's Necronimicon. He didn't just work in that style, later volumes like NY City retain airbrush as a medium but utilize stencil technique for a more mechanical feel, later on he abandoned airbrush altogether and worked in oils and gouaches.

The point is that what's being copied is his biomechanoid designs from the 70's and early 80's that were used commercially as album covers and production designs for movies like Alien and Species. Older games like Darkseed and its sequel actually licensed his work directly, whereas all the Alien inspired stuff (both official and unofficial) was referential to those properties.

It seems to me that had Giger not died in 2014 he'd be able to sue the shit out of these guys for basically counterfeiting his style. Hell if some asshole who did a subway map can bend Naughty Dog over, then this has to be an easy (and lucrative) fuckin day in court should litigation be sought.

Hustler

Yes it was shown at an indie event. Where have you seen ms mention or hype this game since then? Im sure they talked about it when asked but there is no perceived hype.

Also the fact some people are interested in it has nothing to do with your imaginary portrayal of ms hype. Your comment seems totally misplaced .

maybe to you there’s no perceived hype. Not sure why you’re making such a big stink about my comment. It boils down to this game looks like a potential let down and a miss based on the gameplay shown. The environment and aesthetic of the game looked really interesting at first.

BabyYoda

Banned
Definitely my cup of tea, reminds me of the first Prey actually and of course Alien etc. I agree with some people here, I like the slower pace and overall weirdness. I hope puzzles are not easy and not too hard, but just right! I also hope it has an interesting narrative. I think they need to speed up the reload animations though, after the first time they could get annoying, as beautifully animated as they are.

Top Bottom