• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 Ways To End Lousy PC Ports in 2023-DF video

Hugare

Man, people here are getting way to worked up over a simple suggestion video. Hell most of the things Alex suggested are not even that hard to implement. I think the hardest thing is fixing shader stutter. Implementing menus, HDR (when consoles have it) and things like FoV/Widescreen are generally easy to enable.
Imagine a movie critic making a video saying "you indie moviemakers, you see how Marvel CGI looks? Do that, how hard it can be?"

"Hell most of the things Alex suggested are not even that hard to implement. I think the hardest thing is fixing shader stutter. Implementing menus, HDR (when consoles have it) and things like FoV/Widescreen are generally easy to enable."

Do you have an idea about how those game engine works and the coding that's necessary to implement these stuff or are you just guessing?

Zathalus

Imagine a movie critic making a video saying "you indie moviemakers, you see how Marvel CGI looks? Do that, how hard it can be?"

"Hell most of the things Alex suggested are not even that hard to implement. I think the hardest thing is fixing shader stutter. Implementing menus, HDR (when consoles have it) and things like FoV/Widescreen are generally easy to enable."

Do you have an idea about how those game engine works and the coding that's necessary to implement these stuff or are you just guessing?
Movies are not games. Good CGI costs a ton of money to make while implementing a good menu system and the other things I mentioned are easy to implement, especially when using a engine like Unreal.

I'm also not just guessing, as a staggering amount of PC games that don't have these options are implemented by basic mods, especially things such as Widescreen and FoV fixes.

Skifi28

I guess you should never give an opinion here then, on anything.
I don't think sharing an opinion on a forum is the same as using a platform such as DF to be an armchair developer and tell everyone how to do their jobs correctly. It comes off as really arrogant and pretentious. I think Alex should stick to just pointing out the issues.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Devs after this video:

giphy.gif

Don't blame me, it was your "logic" applied.
Just get a console and the problem is solved. Speaking of which it's funny how DF is taking the PC to task now that SONY embraced the Platform.

What happened to the days of I don't need an Xbox I can play it on the PC and be a part of the master race

nemiroff

Gold Member
Just get a console and the problem is solved. Speaking of which it's funny how DF is taking the PC to task now that SONY embraced the Platform.

What happened to the days of I don't need an Xbox I can play it on the PC and be a part of the master race
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about and it seems like it's going to take a headache to try to figure it out. Let's just stop replying to each other.

skit_data

I’m sure that all of these problems are not an easy fix and that there’s a good amount of armchair developer energy in this video but as I see it it can become a good video to point to for developers when arguing with execs etc. that try to just shove their game out the door when developers are begging to get just a little more time to get things right.

s-bojan

Banned
EDIT: And of course, not even ONE person on Resetera are pointing out how ridiculous the video is. Because Alex posts there, so they are too affraid to say anything about it.

Thank God that we dont have people from the industry here anymore so we dont have this kind of atitude around here
You really think that everyone is afraid to say anything :D ?
Video is fine, resetera used it as a starting point for a discussion, like it should be done.
DF and Alex get a lot of hate here, not even sure why.

Lysandros

You know, questionable relevancy of the '13 pillars' aside, there are a few people sensitive to condescending self-important attitude in this planet. Luckily Dictator worship isn't mandatory in this forum contrary the likes of Resetera and Beyond3d so even divas can be criticized.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about and it seems like it's going to take a headache to try to figure it out. Let's just stop replying to each other.
I was being sarcastic

I would imagine developers don't need DF to tell them there are issues (Twitter will do that) or how to fix their engines.

Hugare

Movies are not games. Good CGI costs a ton of money to make while implementing a good menu system and the other things I mentioned are easy to implement, especially when using a engine like Unreal.

I'm also not just guessing, as a staggering amount of PC games that don't have these options are implemented by basic mods, especially things such as Widescreen and FoV fixes.

Again, are they that easy? As I mentioned before, Fortnite has shader compilation stutters and its a GAAS game (so constantly updated and revised) made by Epic itself

We do have a staggering amount of PC games with simple mods, while we also have a staggering number of games without mods due to locked up/difficult to work with engines

I've seen many model mods for UE 4 games, but how many mods out there adding functions such as widescreen support?

But developers have usually some great programmers working for them, with knowledge about the game's engine, so why stuff arent implemented properly? Let's watch the video and try to see a pattern:

Example of good PC ports, by Alex: Uncharted 4, Spider-man, Days Gone, God of War, Star Citizen

Bad ports: Kena, Callisto Protocol, Gotham Knights

Can you see what the problem is? Looking at the good ports, with the exception of Star Citizen, a game that's eternaly in early access, those are games that were already released years before and now were ported for one platform.

Now Kena, Callisto and Gotham Knight PC versions were released to 3 other platforms, 8 platforms and 8 platforms respectively simultaneously on release date, being worked on by programmers while they were also making the game, fixing bugs and etc.

We should expect better products? Sure. But are devs gonna do something about it after watching this video? Of course not. The hole goes so much deeper than just "lazy devs".

Over and over again he says during the video that its a "simple sollution". No, it really is not if you take in consideration context.

You really think that everyone is afraid to say anything :D ?
Video is fine, resetera used it as a starting point for a discussion, like it should be done.

I have no hate boner against Alex.

I think he is a great dude and I love his analysis. I love DF in general.

But they arent immune to criticism, and this video was kinda stupid, imo

s-bojan

Banned
You know, questionable relevancy of the '13 pillars' aside, there are a few people sensitive to condescending self-important attitude in this planet. Luckily Dictator worship isn't mandatory in this forum contrary the likes of Resetera and Beyond3d so even divas can be criticized.
My man, did Alex spit in your soup or something?

He made the video as he is really disappointed by the quality of recent pc ports. And he is not the only one, I've almost stopped buying pc games day 1.
He kept complaining about things like these multiple times in DF directs...so much that Richard told him to make the video about it.
If I like his videos (and I do), it does not mean that I am worshiping him. It just means that I am glad that someone is trying to bring visibility to the issues that are affecting us who primarily play on a pc.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I usualy enjoy DF content, but this is just cringe

Of course developers know how a perfect port should be. But due to budget, time constrains and limited time they can't deliver. Or the lack of technical expertise, of course.

It's like saying "look how id can make Doom look amazing at 60 FPS? Yeah, do that". It's not as simple.

Embarassing video

EDIT: And of course, not even ONE person on Resetera are pointing out how ridiculous the video is. Because Alex posts there, so they are too affraid to say anything about it.

Thank God that we dont have people from the industry here anymore so we dont have this kind of atitude around here

No one on Resetera’s ridiculing the video, because Alex isn’t fucking wrong. But in here you’ve got console warriors playing their part in attacking Alex for pointing out the most obvious shit that developers should be doing with PC ports.

In this day and age where developers are shoving half finished, piss poor AAA ports out the door, console GAF is suddenly “leave developers alone” now?? They know what they’re doing! It’s budget constraints!

Give me a break. If it was one or two games that’s fine, but when these half assed AAA developers are pushing out games with blatant problems that should’ve been fixed - there’s a problem. Especially when they’re expecting $70 for this shit.

I feel people are being a bit unfair to Digital Foundry as all the points mentioned in the video are things that should be a part of the overall design of the game and not things that they simply ran out of time implementing at the end of development!!! The final stages of game development should be focusing on fixing bugs and optimising the performance.

Japanese developers are perhaps the worst offenders as most of their PC games are just barebones ports of the console games with a few tweaks for PC games. Typically, games from Koei Tecmo, Namco Bandai, Square-Enix and even SEGA tend to be bereft of graphical options and require user mods to get them to run properly on PC with correct framepacing and so on. Add to this the now-infamous #StutterStruggle issue, mostly associated with Unreal Engine 4 games due to the engine's popularity with developers, and the result is a lot of lacklustre PC releases in the last 18-24 months. And we cannot even blame COVID for these issues now.

2022 was perhaps the worst year for major PC releases. Gotham Knights, Sack: A Big Adventure and The Callisto Protocol ended the year with a whimper instead of a bang, thanks to shader compilation issues and poor CPU optimisation, especially in the latter (which is still not fixed). I bought a lot of games last year on console and PC so I experienced a lot of these. Console releases were generally fine but the PC was plagued with shader compilation stutter issues. I just lost count of how many games I played with the issue. It was the reason for my decision to delay my PC upgrade and at one point I was not even going to bother with it all because I was annoyed by the issue.

clampzyn

I feel people are being a bit unfair to Digital Foundry as all the points mentioned in the video are things that should be a part of the overall design of the game and not things that they simply ran out of time implementing at the end of development!!! The final stages of game development should be focusing on fixing bugs and optimising the performance.

Japanese developers are perhaps the worst offenders as most of their PC games are just barebones ports of the console games with a few tweaks for PC games. Typically, games from Koei Tecmo, Namco Bandai, Square-Enix and even SEGA tend to be bereft of graphical options and require user mods to get them to run properly on PC with correct framepacing and so on. Add to this the now-infamous #StutterStruggle issue, mostly associated with Unreal Engine 4 games due to the engine's popularity with developers, and the result is a lot of lacklustre PC releases in the last 18-24 months. And we cannot even blame COVID for these issues now.

2022 was perhaps the worst year for major PC releases. Gotham Knights, Sack: A Big Adventure and The Callisto Protocol ended the year with a whimper instead of a bang, thanks to shader compilation issues and poor CPU optimisation, especially in the latter (which is still not fixed). I bought a lot of games last year on console and PC so I experienced a lot of these. Console releases were generally fine but the PC was plagued with shader compilation stutter issues. I just lost count of how many games I played with the issue. It was the reason for my decision to delay my PC upgrade and at one point I was not even going to bother with it all because I was annoyed by the issue.
Devs could definitely fixed stutter issues just like what uncharted did but they chose not to, its not because their lazy, its because that's their decision.

Devs could definitely fixed stutter issues just like what uncharted did but they chose not to, its not because their lazy, its because that's their decision.

It might not be the developers though, it may be down to publisher decisions as they will be more concerned with keeping the game under budget and less concerned with making a quality PC version. I've already mentioned a number of Japanese publishers and I think if you look at the pattern of poor PC releases then you will see that it is certain publishers rather than developers who are to blame. Not always but I believe most of the blame falls on the publishers rather than the developers.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Their decision is laziness, until the review bombs hit and they’ve gotta act to protect the game’s sales.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Can someone explain nr.8 in this video Vsync options? If i want 40 fps with good frametime what should i be choosing?

I don't think sharing an opinion on a forum is the same as using a platform such as DF to be an armchair developer and tell everyone how to do their jobs correctly. It comes off as really arrogant and pretentious. I think Alex should stick to just pointing out the issues.
I don’t agree with what you just said.

Skifi28

Don't forget gaf rules.

Bad game launches on console: fucking devs

Bad game launches on pc: pc sucks
I always thought it was the opposite. Two games come to consoles without a 60fps mode and suddenly there's this whole narrative that's it's back to 30fps for the foreseeable future, consoles are too weak for 60 etc. Even though we completely like to ignore that the exact same games were also borked on high-end machines.

Kenpachii

You're aware that Fortnite has shader compilation issues, right? And Fortnite was made by Epic. Makers of Unreal Engine. And still it has problems. So I dont think that its as easy as you or Alex are implying.

My point is: making a video in order to teach developers about those issues is presumptuous as fuck when he doesnt know why games were released that way.

Is he wrong? No. But its shallow, meaningless criticism. It's as deep as those internet coaches saying "that guy was poor and now he is a millionaire, so if he did it, so can you!" throwing all the nuances out the window.

Stop using unreal engine then simple as that, if it doesn't work for shit.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Can someone explain nr.8 in this video Vsync options? If i want 40 fps with good frametime what should i be choosing?
Just enable VRR, make sure you're in a 144 hz container and cap the game to 40 via NVCP or Rivatuner (rivatuner can be finnicky at times, I trust NVCP limiter more, as it is a GPU bound limiter that will be safer option in most cases).

No need to enable any kind of fractional vsync and incur huge amounts of input lag. just enable regular Vsync for the odd frames here and there (it will not be activated most of the time anyways). Do not use multiples vsync, it will incur huge input lag as it does on consoles. fractical vsync is unnecessary with a VRR screen, VRR can adapt and sync 40 FPS into 80-120 HZ with LFC already.

Three

But the devs and QA know what is garbage because they play it every day, and yet they still release it expecting people to pay money for it. Calling them out and recommending some approaches is completely valid.
Sure call them out but do you think it matters? for example do people dock points from Elden Ring because it performed poorly with stutters on PC?

Recommend approaches all they like but they're just pissing into the wind. it's not the case that they know more than developers who are probably better aware but know the small things DF might complain about in hindsight ultimately doesn't matter.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
"your post was deleted because of pc hate bait"
what the hell do you think this thread is?! I don't even remember a snarky joke I made :p

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Some of you guys in this thread are straight mad.

We want better PC ports, and some you are like "oh yeah? you go be a game developer".

Like what?
Some will do everything to defend pc. Master Race can do no wrong because it was a lot of money so it's stupid to admit you wasted it because ps5 port is better (at least in first week obviously)

JeloSWE

The amount of shitty pc ports apologists in this thread is baffling.

Most of what Alex said in the video is more than justified. The video might appear to be angled directly to developers but in reality it's about raising awareness by educating the masses about these issues. This in turn will make more people not accept shitty PC ports and thus put pressure on developers to do better.

darrylgorn

Some of you guys in this thread are straight mad.

We want better PC ports, and some you are like "oh yeah? you go be a game developer".

Like what?

Just angry trolls.

Putting aside the ports, his suggestions about how to change graphics options should be in all PC games.

Top Bottom