• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 minutes of open world Watch Dogs gameplay [hacking, combat, driving]

Pandemic

When you compare it to the first gameplay they showed off, with the night club, it definitely doesn't look as great.. It's good but no where near to what they originally showed..

After that 14 minute long video that gametrailers just put up.

I'm not longer buying this game, I would have to be extremely fucking wrong here.

Just here me out.

The main character kills 6 random security guards.

0 reputation lost?

Then incapacitates a criminal using blocking poles.

Now if you were the media, you would see a criminal violently killing 6 or more people, then you see the main character joining up with another man who was beating a woman, then you would see them jump into their getaway cars which are parked right next to each other, and then you would see the violent criminal get away.

Somehow...according to the way the game works... the main character earned 25+ reputation points.

WHAT...THE...FUCK Ubisoft.

Can you drag bodies in this game? Like does it have a real stealth mechanic or is a fake?

Artex

Banned
Guy is just murdering what is basically Comcast workers.

B5S0YFC.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
If you read the personal details of those "comcast workers", you'd see they all have criminal backgrounds, or mercenary backgrounds.

So, yeah, Comcast Workers.

Hate to say it but I think it'd serve the premise and I'd like this game far more if the protagonist didn't use any guns.

The gunplay does a disservice to the ultimate hook of hacking as weapon, and puts this game squarely tit for tat against GTAV on its own (now Max Payne inspired) turf.

Considering all the weapons available at the gunshop and how much random, purposeless killing occurs in this short walkthrough, and all amidst talk of shades of grey in morality, I don't have high hopes.

GTAV has the open world, heavily armed, fast car driving, city-asshole down pat. I thought this was going to be something very different from that mold.

TTG

Apart from some LOD pop in, everything looks solid. I think the success, well how good the game is, not the sales numbers, is going to hinge on how safe they play it with the bulk of the game. If it's close to the later AC stuff, we'll be stuck with another beautiful game with an interesting setting that's boring throughout. Hopefully it's more Far Cry 3 than AC in that sense.

Are we going to get any ps3 footage before the release?

If you read the personal details of those "comcast workers", you'd see they all have criminal backgrounds, or mercenary backgrounds.

So, yeah, Comcast Workers.

Sorry, forgot about that however I have 2 points on that.

1. After reading 20000 people have allergies to nuts I completely ignored them.

2. The media don't know they are former mercenaries, also I highly doubt you'll ever hear a news reader say. A man killed 6 guards with explosives and a hand gun today but who gives a fuck because they all have criminal records.

Next in the news scientists say the whole world may be allergic to nuts by 2022

TTG

Hate to say it but I think I'd like this game far more if the protagonist didn't use any guns.

With so many mechanics in this genre set in stone, I don't know if you could start taking elements away without fans howling outrage. Maybe they could do it if there was something taking up the slack in a big way. A deep platforming/parkour system or the sneaky bits, but from the videos, it looks like par for the course stuff. The hacking seems rudimentary as well.

And you're right about it being really close to GTA. Especially when people actually boot up the game and are no longer strolling to the mission objectives and neatly parking cars, it's gonna look really similar.

Momentary

Banned
Hope you aply the same you said to this:
ALOcsX.png

If you cover up his character model, yeah, the graphics to Infamous SS look like shit. But like I said earlier, the Infamous SS character models look nice at least in.

I know it will look better when it is actually played rather than a video, but I couldn't help but notice the poor graphics everywhere in this screen once you ignore the cars. The car models look pretty good, with the lighting and all, take them out and it looks early this gen.

wjnPQax.jpg

Again, I realize it is a video, but it doesn't look great does it :/

You're right. They showed super powered versions of the game early and now they are throwing this at us. That's why I laugh when people start talking about stupid shit like Deep Down and that Quantic Dream tech demo. Then I really start laughing when people say "launch games" "wait 2 or 3 year for real next gen" and what we end up later are blurry games that struggle to maintain frame rates in the 20's. If someone wants to bring up Beyond: Two Souls, don't bother. That game looks horrid outside of their faces. I'm sure it's going to be fun and it looks stylized, but don't bring that crap up like it's some kind of graphical tour de force.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Any game can be less flattering in stills. I thought we didn't have to go through this time of clarification.

I also hope the PS4 controller prompts will become standard on PC versions of games. I would buy another PS4 pad for the PC in a heartbeat.

To people complaining about Aiden killing 'random' security guards, they're not random.

They're part of the Bloome corporation that runs ctOS. I think they are part of the group responsible for hurting Aiden's family and the target of his revenge.

Also notice how shitty their backgrounds are, mercenaries, ex cons, etc.

To people complaining about Aiden killing 'random' security guards, they're not random.

They're part of the Bloome corporation that runs ctOS. I think they are part of the group responsible for hurting Aiden's family and the target of his revenge.

Also notice how shitty their backgrounds are, mercenaries, ex cons, etc.

Yes but isn't the media on their side?

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Poly count is too low, animation is identical to current-gen, too few cloth physics. Utterly lacks the wow of something like Infamous Second Son that really looks next-gen.

The whole thing looks like a rushed current-gen port that is taking advantage of increased ram but not much else. I suspect it will lack polish because it's a launch game.

GTAV has me more excited. Significantly.

I haven't played the game so I can't comment on gameplay, only graphics.

Also, this was NOT prominent on the PAX floor, which tells me that Ubisoft knows the game's shortcomings.

I hope i'm wrong.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i downloaded a 1.4 gig video only to find out its very very old. we've seen this before...

Yes but isn't the media on their side?
Not necessarily...remember the hacker group Dedsec has been exposing them and the system to the public, so perhaps the public overall doesn't have a favorable opinion of ctOS. We'll just have to wait and see how the story unfolds.

mylasthope

Neo Member
Hate to say it but I think it'd serve the premise and I'd like this game far more if the protagonist didn't use any guns.

The gunplay does a disservice to the ultimate hook of hacking as weapon, and puts this game squarely tit for tat against GTAV on its own (now Max Payne inspired) turf.

Considering all the weapons available at the gunshop and how much random, purposeless killing occurs in this short walkthrough, and all amidst talk of shades of grey in morality, I don't have high hopes.

GTAV has the open world, heavily armed, fast car driving, city-asshole down pat. I thought this was going to be something very different from that mold.

Then don't use any guns. iirc, they said there were multiple ways to play game. I am glad that using guns is an option. It's better to have options than to not having options...

Then don't use any guns. iirc, they said there were multiple ways to play game. I am glad that using guns is an option. It's better to have options than to not having options...
Do you think I'll be able to play a no-gun playthrough? With all the weapons of display at the gunshop I'm kindof doubting it.

Its not just about the guns though - its also about how many kill objectives make up the meat of the game.

And just so you don't think this is purely some anti-violence crusade, my point is that I think this game would do well to distance itself as much as possible from GTA's core gameplay.

Boss Man

I've just never caught any real interest in this game. It looks like an unfun GTA, sort of like GTAIV but even more boring.

Having said that, you can't really complain about how they present hacking. Hacking is a thing that everyone loves to shoehorn into things (especially games) but it never has and never will actually make real sense.

My personal favorite of all time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

How are people comparing Watch Dogs with Infamous graphics? WDs is releasing on Current Gen, Next Gen, and PC..Infamous SS is an exclusive.

Yeah, that didn't sit right with me. But the moment I saw him shooting the security guard, the whole moment said "sorry, the focus groups said we needed to have this." Presumably you can do a non-lethal play through if you'd rather, though.

The game looks a bit better than current-gen stuff, but only marginally so. The frame rate and presumably all the AI stuff going on is what's taking up memory.

watershed

Banned
I think this will be the best launch game for next gen. It looks really solid and has been in development long enough to iron out any major flaws, at least I hope so.

Vire

How are people comparing Watch Dogs with Infamous graphics? WDs is releasing on Current Gen, Next Gen, and PC..Infamous SS is an exclusive.

At the end of the day, both are open world games being played on a PS4 and cost the same amount. So yes they are directly comparable.

cdkee

Banned
I watched the Gamersyde video. It looks next-gen, just not like the E3 presentation in 2012. Cross-gen is definitely noticeable.

WD2, if it gets made, would probably look great.

I think the game looks fine considering it's a cross generation launch title. More importantly, it looks fun. Hopefully default difficulty provides a challenge. Game that allow stealth and all that crap are so mindlessly easy you might as well just run and gun and shoot everything.

I watched the Gamersyde video. It looks next-gen, just not like the E3 presentation in 2012. Cross-gen is definitely noticeable.

WD2, if it gets made, would probably look great.

This is Ubisoft. It will come out a year later and look mostly the same.

Vire

I will say, some things in Watch Dogs do look better than Infamous.

Specifically the grass textures. In Infamous it's relatively flat, something we have seen many times in the past, whereas Watch Dogs has individual blades in certain areas.

After that 14 minute long video that gametrailers just put up.

I'm not longer buying this game, I would have to be extremely fucking wrong here.

Just here me out.

The main character kills 6 random security guards.

0 reputation lost?

Then incapacitates a criminal using blocking poles.

Now if you were the media, you would see a criminal violently killing 6 or more people, then you see the main character joining up with another man who was beating a woman, then you would see them jump into their getaway cars which are parked right next to each other, and then you would see the violent criminal get away.

Somehow...according to the way the game works... the main character earned 25+ reputation points.

WHAT...THE...FUCK Ubisoft.

Can you drag bodies in this game? Like does it have a real stealth mechanic or is a fake?

Whoa...That...that's a tremendously good point.

raphanum

Judging by the effort you're putting into your posts, there is no proof that could convince you - one look at any inFamous: Second Son 1080p direct feed video will tell you just how superior it is to Watch Dogs in all ways. If that doesn't work as 'proof', then nothing will, because you're being willfully ignorant (as your comments continually demonstrate), and you're not actually operating in an intellectually honest capacity right now. If you were, you wouldn't have made the comment about the particles you did. No one who is trying to have a upfront discussion about these games and honestly assess them could.

Hey, amir0x. I'm late to this thread, but next time you should check a user's post history before falling for the bait. Metroid-Squadron is an xbottle troll. A bad one at that.

-griffy-

Banned
I will say, some things in Watch Dogs do look better than Infamous.

Specifically the grass textures. In Infamous it's relatively flat, something we have seen many times in the past, whereas Watch Dogs has individual blades in certain areas.

But in Infamous you are gonna jump into a vent and immediately shoot to the top of a three story building in seconds, fly through the air, grab onto the Space Needle and climb to the top, jump off and slam to the ground sending enemies/cars flying off in a big ass explosion. Watch Dogs all seems to take place at street level for the most part. Totally different scope between the two games.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

That would be something that would have been shown or said. The same as incapacitating all enemies by shooting in the kneecaps (only police officers can be incapacitated in that way).

Ubisoft missed a big opportunity to make this game so much more awesome.

raphanum

That would be something that would have been shown or said. The same as incapacitating all enemies by shooting in the kneecaps (only police officers can be incapacitated in that way).

Ubisoft missed a big opportunity to make this game so much more awesome.

Whaaaat? You can't incapacitate criminals via knee-capping? Why would they not include that? Force you to carry out a chase sequence?

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I don't know if I should get this on 360 or wait another few months for Xbox one? Does it even have a real next gen release date?

Top Bottom