• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Films To See In December (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary Whitta said:
Sherlock and Avatar for sure, everything else I'll wait for reviews. An acquaintance of mine who broke into the biz about the same time as me wrote Armored so I'll go support that too.

It's remarkably faithful actually, at least based on the draft of the script I read, and I consider myself a Holmes geek. There are lots of little easter eggs for people who really know the original stories. Anyone saying "Holmes doing martial arts lol" simply hasn't read any of the many Holmes stories in which he is established as an expert pugilist and man of formidable athleticism.
Oh I know he did martial arts in the original stories it's just funny to me how they're over emphasizing aspects of Holmes that are a bit more understated in the original stories just to make him more of a badass. Kind of seems like Sherlock Holmes: Warrior Within, or like how the action scenes were amped up in Watchmen to the point where some viewers were left wondering if these people had super powers.

polyh3dron said:
Oh I know he did martial arts in the original stories it's just funny to me how they're over emphasizing aspects of Holmes that are a bit more understated in the original stories just to make him more of a badass. Kind of seems like Sherlock Holmes: Warrior Within, or like how the action scenes were amped up in Watchmen to the point where some viewers were left wondering if these people had super powers.

Well, my guess is that the trailers probably over-emphasize the action to at least some extent, as trailers often do.

Seriously, Sherlock Holmes looks so fucking awesome. Good to hear from Whitta that the script is apparently quite good, as well. I'm so pumped to see this movie.

traveler

Not Wario
Up in the Air is my most anticipated film of the year, so I can't wait to get to the theaters this month. Also looking forward to Nine, Avatar, Princess and the Frog, and the Road. (I know the last two are technically November releases, but we haven't got them yet around my hometown.)

Australia's December is jam fucking packed.

I will be seeing:

The Lovely Bones
The Road
Where the Wild Things Are
Parnassus (tomorrow night)
Zombieland
The Informant
Sherlock Holmes

Unfortunately we don't get Up in the Air till January as far as I know.

Like Sculli posted above, Australia's December releases are crazy. There's 3 must sees for me releasing this week alone (Zombieland, The Informant and Where the Wild Things Are). I don't know how i'm gonna get around to seeing all of them.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Gary Whitta said:
It's remarkably faithful actually, at least based on the draft of the script I read, and I consider myself a Holmes geek. There are lots of little easter eggs for people who really know the original stories. Anyone saying "Holmes doing martial arts lol" simply hasn't read any of the many Holmes stories in which he is established as an expert pugilist and man of formidable athleticism.
I'll grant you all of that, but when I think Sherlock Holmes, I don't think massive CG-assisted action set pieces atop an unfinished Tower Bridge. That stuff is off-putting.

tumblr_ktiwoiQQ4V1qzq2j6o1_400.jpg

O.DOGG

This month I'm seeing Avatar, no doubt.
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus but it won't be coming to these parts until mid-January. Tom Waits alone is worth seeing it for, everything else is just extra.

neoism

gdt5016 said:
Not really looking forward to Brothers...but Natalie is so gorgeous.
Seriously man, watch the Danish film it's based on, named "Brodre" Connie Nelson plays in it. It was fucking spectacular. I love Natalie as an actress, but I'll wait to rent it too. Other than that, 1, 4, 5 ,and 8 is all I'm seeing!

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I am mostly looking forward to the White Ribbon even though it leaked earlier. Also, HUGH GRANT ROM-COM, ZOMG! I wish that wasn't a joke. I don't even know why I have to see every single one of this films the first weekend they come out. Oh yeah, I am pretty sure Invictus is going to win best picture this year so I will see that for sure too.

xrich

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
I am mostly looking forward to the White Ribbon even though it leaked earlier. Also, HUGH GRANT ROM-COM, ZOMG! I wish that wasn't a joke. I don't even know why I have to see every single one of this films the first weekend they come out. Oh yeah, I am pretty sure Invictus is going to win best picture this year so I will see that for sure too.

i actually want to watch Hugh Grant's movie, but really dont like Sarah J Parker...hard choice.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
xrich said:
i actually want to watch Hugh Grant's movie, but really dont like Sarah J Parker...hard choice.

I know man. I wish they went with Charlotte instead but man, whatever. It's Hugh Grant, how can you say no?

xrich

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
I know man. I wish they went with Charlotte instead but man, whatever. It's Hugh Grant, how can you say no?

after seeing the trailer, it kind of made it easy lol. gonna have to rent.

neoism said:
Seriously man, watch the Danish film it's based on, named "Brodre" Connie Nelson plays in it. It was fucking spectacular. I love Natalie as an actress, but I'll wait to rent it too. Other than that, 1, 4, 5 ,and 8 is all I'm seeing!
Brodre... sounds like some hybrid surfer slang.

J2 Cool

Scullibundo said:
Even harder to believe that his last Sci-Fi film was Terminator 2...18 years ago.

Just made it in for film of the decade discussion ;)

Saw this on Friday:

9q9rmp.jpg

Good film, definitely see it this month. (11th to be exact)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
DanielPlainview said:
4. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (Gilliam, Dec. 25th)

Synopsis: A story-telling doctor's deal with the devil sends him scrambling to save his daughter on the eve of her 16th birthday.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Terry Gilliam never seems to a get a break, but his latest project is finally coming to the US. Check out Ledger's final performance, completed by Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell, and Jude Law.
2rrnbpz.gif

ragingadamo

Neo Member
Big month!

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
The Princess and the Frog
Sherlock Holmes
Lovely Bones

I am actually really excited to see all of them, great month for movies!

Blackhead

Redarse
Don't you just love Oscar season! So many 'interesting' movies, so many dvd screeners... :D

DanielPlainview said:

Synopsis: A look at life of Nelson Mandela (Morgan Freeman) after the fall of apartheid in South Africa during his first term as president when campaigned to host the 1995 Rugby World Cup event as an opportunity to unite his countrymen.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: There isn't another film this year that screams Oscars more than this. Clint Eastwood tackling a biographical story with Morgan Freeman playing a historical figure may seem like a snorefest to many, but it will certainly find it's place among audiences.

Is this the first time Freeman is playing Mandela? It's such an obvious role I was about to make a crack about lazy casting

xrich

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
Don't you just love Oscar season! So many 'interesting' movies, so many dvd screeners... :D

Is this the first time Freeman is playing Mandela? It's such an obvious role I was about to make a crack about lazy casting

god i love me some dvd screeners :D anything of note?

Blackhead

Redarse
xrich said:
god i love me some dvd screeners :D anything of note?
One man's chronicle of 2009-2010 Academy Screeners and other freebies received

then VCDQ to keep you in the loop when the dvds are eventually leaked.

May the Gods be good to us this year.

ps Is Heath Ledger in the The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus? I don't want to be spoiled until I get to the cinema

Edit: Sorry, Is Heath Ledger in the trailer for The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus?

xrich

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
One man's chronicle of 2009-2010 Academy Screeners and other freebies received

then VCDQ to keep you in the loop when the dvds are eventually leaked.

May the Gods be good to us this year.

ps Is Heath Ledger in the The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus? I don't want to be spoiled until I get to the cinema

thanks for the link. yes he is. i dont know how they set it up, but his role is eventually taken over by the other actors as well.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Big month...especially in Australia.

Definitely seeing:
The Lovely Bones
Broken Embraces
The Informant!
Where the Wild Things Are
Bright Star

Films coming out in December in the US (but later in Australia) that I'm eager to see are:
The White Ribbon
A Single Man
Up in the Air
Crazy Heart

I've seen The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, and I really liked it. I suspect a lot of people will find it awkward and ungainly, but it has a lot of charm and spirit, even if it comes apart a bit towards the conclusion.

I like Jim Sheridan, but I can't get all that excited about Brothers, having already seen the original (and finding it quite good but not great). I'm kind of dreading Nine as a big fan of 8 1/2 and a big detractor of Rob Marshall.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I'm not sure exactly what films on the list are released where I live, but from the list I'm most looking forward to Nine. I love musicals and I'd call myself a fan of both Day-Lewis and Kidman. I also enjoy Dench, Cruz and Cotillard. Chicago was good, too. Not released until February here, though.

Up In The Air, Agora, The Lovely Bones and The White Ribbon are also looking good.

Avatar doesn't look that interesting to me as a movie, but I guess I'll see it anyway. Just because.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I can't be the onely one that got Super Mario Galaxy vibes from a certain clip in the 'The Lovely Bones' trailer, right?

Salazar

I really can't wait for Gary Whitta's meltdown when Denzel gives an interview moping at novel-length about how his career has collapsed and how he is proud of nothing, nothing, nothing he has done.

I still don't know if I want to go see Avatar. I'm sort of nervous about the quality of my IMAX 3D also.

In addition to that, I still haven't even seen The Road. So much for a November release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom