• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 years later, Squall & Rinoa remains the best romance/love story in a game, right?

crimilde

Banned
2EAAg.jpg

Yes Sir.

rofl

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Zidane is 16 and Garnet literally turns 16 during the game's intro (it's her birthday). Yet their love story was way better than Squall and Rinoa's.

I don't remember anything from their romance except for one part where he is looking at her sing on a tower. SteinerxBeatrix seemed like the standout pairing in that one.

Fei x Elly (Xenogears)
Yuri x Alice (Shadow Hearts series)
Oswald x Gwendolyn & Cornelius x Velvet (Odin Sphere)

I see all of those as being better and none of those games are billed as loves stories.

FFVIII and X's are just.....meh.

Verger

Banned
Dear god no.

Final Fantasy "Shounen" romance writing should not be the gold standard of how to write good "romance".

That said, I won't claim that much Western devs do it better.

SnakexOtacon is the OTP and I don't let anyone tell me otherwise. The story of their blossoming romance, from when Otacon pissed himself while Snake punched a masochistic Ninja to death in front of him to them sharing an airplane house and raising an informally adopted daughter is the true love story for the ages. It's just like one of my Japanese animes :')

But seriously SquallxRinoa sucks and you should feel bad. Squall is a loser for not hopping on board the Quistis train when he had the chance.

I don't remember anything from their romance except for one part where he is looking at her sing on a tower. SteinerxBeatrix seemed like the standout pairing in that one.

You mean how Zidane stops seeing her as an object/some ass to chase and starts seeing her as a real person, affecting his personality (as shown during his conversation with Freya)?

Xenoboy

Elena and Aeron from Pandora's Tower.

How can you beat making a game let you feel like shit if you don't feed her in a while?

G-Fex

so good we can't even remember her name.
It was Anya, and it was a good romance.

I prefer the non-romantic romance of The Boss and Big Boss in MGS3.

I only remember Blaskowitz's name and every boss from the original game. Who cares about the new characters.

Anyway, what about the romance of Halo and blue hologram girl?

Mory Dunz

Isn't "girl coming up to brooding and distant guy" actually extremely cliche?

Like in every movie where the guy is like that, the girl starts it. Softening his heart is the apex of cliche as well.

Weiss

Banned
You mean how Zidane stops seeing her as an object/some ass to chase and starts seeing her as a real person, affecting his personality (as shown during his conversation with Freya)?

Zidane sulking in a bar because he realizes he can never be with Garnet and begging Baku to let him back into Tantalus was way more heart warming than anything Squall and Rinoa did.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Doesn't ring a bell lol. It seemed like he viewed her more as a total liability and then circumstances bring them closer. Definitely gonna replay IX one of these days.

Lulubop

Zidane sulking in a bar because he realizes he can never be with Garnet and begging Baku to let him back into Tantalus was way more heart warming than anything Squall and Rinoa did.

For real, if you don't think the answer is 9 replay it right now

Coxy

lol no.

its not even in the top 3 romances in FF8, there's nothing to it, there's no actual relationship

The FF series itself probably has 100 better romances than it and JRPGs combined surely have thousands

I think Squall and Rinoa (and FF8 in general) suffer from some weird translation choices. In the English script we end up with an abrupt shift in characterization in both characters and suddenly they're infatuated with one another. I have more issues with FF8's translation then I do with FF7's honestly. It worked for me when I was 13 years old but not so much these days. But nostalgia says yes, Squall and Rinoa. Laguna's romantic experiences are so much more interesting though. Especially when viewed in the context of Squall and Rinoa's relationship.

Yuna and Tidus have the better love story, which is immensely helped by it being doomed from the beginning. Pulls the heart strings man. But their relationship is better paced and more believable I think.

Kirie

It's one of my top favorite romances in games, but Yuri and Alice from the Shadow Hearts series is my number 1 personally. If we're talking only FF games, then yeah I agree :)

Yazuka

Perhaps not the best, but Squall and Rinoa are probably my favorite romance story in a game. I like how it makes Squall change to a better person.
Squall + Rinoa forever.

Top Bottom