• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 year old student sues school for paddling her...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Yes, it's big news in our big state. Yeeehaww!

(1/30/05 - SAN ANTONIO, TX) — When Jessica Serafin enrolled in a charter high school, her mother signed a form allowing administrators to paddle her as punishment.

But by the time a summer school principal paddled her last June, Serafin was already 18 and legally an adult.

Now she's suing the School of Excellence in Education, San Antonio's largest charter school, alleging it was wrong for the principal to paddle an adult student without her consent. She says the beating she received for leaving campus to get breakfast was so severe she had to go to the emergency room.

FULL STORY: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/state/013005_APstate_paddlingsuit.html

Frankly, I say go for it sister. She was legally an adult, he did not have her consent, and a grown man <cough> spanking what is for most intents a grown woman is crossing into freaky sexual territory. Not that we wouldn't all try to get away with it if we were creepy high school principals...

Now she's suing the School of Excellence in Education, San Antonio's largest charter school, alleging it was wrong for the principal to paddle an adult student without her consent.

That definitely reads a little funny.

Irregardless* of whether the girl exaggerated the paddling, she's still 18, so the school shouldn't have done that. What kind of screwed up school paddles students anyways? For all intensive purposes*, it's practical ... and I don't see many highscool students putting up with it.

damn_girl.gif

:lol :lol :lol
paddle that ass

tetsuoxb

ManDudeChild said:
ManDudeChild
Derek Smart,
Derek Smart,
DEREK SMART!!!
(Today, 11:49 PM)

Oh man, I used to work at the EB near Derek Smart's house and studio....

the stories I could tell........

tetsuoxb said:
Oh man, I used to work at the EB near Derek Smart's house and studio....

the stories I could tell........

Your attempt that thread derailing intrigues me. Continue ... and include all the coke kicking details.

tetsuoxb

One time he came into the store in a bathrobe to pick up new releases, and when we asked for his name, he said, in an offended tone -

"Im Dr. Derek Smart!"

I imagine Dr. Boll is the same way.
-------------------------------------------
Other stories pretty much involved having to see the guy. We were nice to him, but Battlecruiser Millenium was shit, and an EB Exclusive. Watching the dejection build was CLASSIC.
When I first started working there, he came in and signed a whole bunch of copies of Battlecruiser 2k. We didn't ask him to, he just came in and did it.

They didn't sell.

Sorry for the thread derail I just couldn't pass up a D. Smart story.

ElyrionX

tetsuoxb said:
One time he came into the store in a bathrobe to pick up new releases, and when we asked for his name, he said, in an offended tone -

"Im Dr. Derek Smart!"

I imagine Dr. Boll is the same way.
Other stories pretty much involved having to see the guy. We were nice to him, but Battlecruiser Millenium was shit, and an EB Exclusive. Watching the dejection build was CLASSIC.
When I first started working there, he came in and signed a whole bunch of copies of Battlecruiser 2k. We didn't ask him to, he just came in and did it.

They didn't sell.

Sorry for the thread derail I just couldn't pass up a D. Smart story.

This deserves an entire thread of its own. C'mon, spill all the juicy info in a seperate thread!

pnjtony

Fleming said:
They spank 16-18 year olds in US??!"?!?!?!?!?!

:lol :lol :lol :lol
Not that I've seen. Unless maybe it was some freaky religious school. You know how those Catholics are these days.

I remember in 3rd or 4th grade we used to get our open hand slapped with this ruler wrapped in tape or something. Hurt like a bitch. It was shortly after maybe 5th grade or so it was considered very taboo to strike a child in public schools. parents can't even do it now.

tedtropy

Fleming said:
They spank 16-18 year olds in US??!"?!?!?!?!?!

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Yeah, it's part of the Texas high school principal benefit package.

III. Sexual Depravity Clause

A male high school principal may spank three attractive teenage girls within a single semester. Spanking benefits do not roll over to future semesters. A period of fifteen (15) minutes will be afforded to the principal for masturbatory purposes immediately following the spanking.

Actually I'm suprised that the issue is her age, and not just that she was spanked at all. It's not the sort of thing you'd think any school would do nowadays, at least not one on American soil, parental permission or not.

Hell, if I was the girl I'd be suing my mother as well for giving them permission.

tedtropy

A grown man laying his hand on a young girl in any manner, especially one that's intentionally violent such as this, is just weird, wrong, and should be illegal across the board.

Willco

Hollywood Square
tedtropy said:
A grown man laying his hand on a young girl in any manner, especially one that's intentionally violent such as this, is just weird, wrong, and should be illegal across the board.

I'm not saying it should be legal, I'm just saying that it is legal.

I think paddling is an ancient way of discipline that has outlived its usefulness in today's society.

Pimpwerx

If the school has rules, and the parents signed off on the consent form, then fuck her, she should have followed the rules. I went to schools that beat kids when I was in the islands. I only spent until 4th grade in that system, but it works. Get out of line, and the teacher had the right to use whatever they wanted on you. Bamboo pointer (the worst), meter stick, belt, books, etc. They basically did the job the parents weren't able to do properly. It was like that pretty much anywhere you went. If you were fucking up at the supermarket and your parents weren't around, any grown-up that caught you would usually smack you, find your parents, and then they'd smack you. It taught us to be on our best behavior wherever we went.

I prefer that system, and given my druthers, there are more than a few kids I'd love to give the beating of their lives. Too many parents fail to discipline their kids, and the lip I have to deal with from some of these kids. If it was the islands, I'd beat the brakes off some of these kids. Teach them the manners their folks haven't. But punishment here is pathetic, so the kids don't take it seriously, and don't learn. I like the idea of allowing paddling still. Get a nice, enforcer dean to take care of that shit. "Oh, you gonna act up again? Get your ass down to the office for your beating." It's kinda stupid that she's gonna sue them over what's really a discrepency. But in return, the school should just fail her and make her have to take her GED or something. Fuck 'em, school's not supposed to be enjoyable. You're supposed to learn. If something had happened to her while she left campus, the school would have been in a world of shit. The rules exist for a reason. Follow them, or you get your ass beat. PEACE.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Pimpwerx said:
If the school has rules, and the parents signed off on the consent form, then fuck her, she should have followed the rules. I went to schools that beat kids when I was in the islands. I only spent until 4th grade in that system, but it works. Get out of line, and the teacher had the right to use whatever they wanted on you. Bamboo pointer (the worst), meter stick, belt, books, etc. They basically did the job the parents weren't able to do properly. It was like that pretty much anywhere you went. If you were fucking up at the supermarket and your parents weren't around, any grown-up that caught you would usually smack you, find your parents, and then they'd smack you. It taught us to be on our best behavior wherever we went.

I prefer that system, and given my druthers, there are more than a few kids I'd love to give the beating of their lives. Too many parents fail to discipline their kids, and the lip I have to deal with from some of these kids. If it was the islands, I'd beat the brakes off some of these kids. Teach them the manners their folks haven't. But punishment here is pathetic, so the kids don't take it seriously, and don't learn. I like the idea of allowing paddling still. Get a nice, enforcer dean to take care of that shit. "Oh, you gonna act up again? Get your ass down to the office for your beating." It's kinda stupid that she's gonna sue them over what's really a discrepency. But in return, the school should just fail her and make her have to take her GED or something. Fuck 'em, school's not supposed to be enjoyable. You're supposed to learn. If something had happened to her while she left campus, the school would have been in a world of shit. The rules exist for a reason. Follow them, or you get your ass beat. PEACE.

Dude she is a fuckin adult!

How would you like someone to beat you because your parents signed a form?

I can’t believe that her getting breakfast constitutes an emergency room visit.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Die Squirrel Die said:
Actually I'm suprised that the issue is her age, and not just that she was spanked at all. It's not the sort of thing you'd think any school would do nowadays, at least not one on American soil, parental permission or not.

Hell, if I was the girl I'd be suing my mother as well for giving them permission.

Glad to see I'm not the only one shocked!

I learned recently that this is done routinely in the US still (before I thought it was something done in the days of Tom Saywer).

I even created a thread about it, and to my shock many posters came back defending the procedure - Stockholm syndrome in my opinion.

Can't find the thread anymore, unfortunately. There was even an anti-spanking human rights movement in the US.

It seems to be one of the best kept "public secrets" of the US, and something which made me even more critical towards human rights over the Atlantic.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Why did this girl not just get up and leave the school after it became obvious that the principal seriously wanted to paddle her? I read that 3 adults restrained her - so they basically kept her against her will to boot?

Also, I wonder if her parents are supporting her case after signing that charter?

tedtropy

Chittagong said:
Glad to see I'm not the only one shocked!

I learned recently that this is done routinely in the US still (before I thought it was something done in the days of Tom Saywer).

I even created a thread about it, and to my shock many posters came back defending the procedure - Stockholm syndrome in my opinion.

Can't find the thread anymore, unfortunately. There was even an anti-spanking human rights movement in the US.

It seems to be one of the best kept "public secrets" of the US, and something which made me even more critical towards human rights over the Atlantic.

That pesky Protestant residue clinging on to its last bit of life. Jesus wants us to spank young women! It's in teh Bible!

tedtropy

Incognito said:
It's far too cold in SA for me to be worrying about this issue.

Just picture yourself spanking the girl's ass. Things will warm up.

Meier

Pimpwerx has the right idea. I'm glad my parents spanked me when I got out of line. This girl's family signed off on it -- it was within the grounds and I'd imagine she's not the only one to receive this punishment for breaking the rule. I dont see a problem with it at all.

Master Z

Meier said:
Pimpwerx has the right idea. I'm glad my parents spanked me when I got out of line. This girl's family signed off on it -- it was within the grounds and I'd imagine she's not the only one to receive this punishment for breaking the rule. I dont see a problem with it at all.

The issue here is that she is now an adult and that charter her parents signed should be void due to her no longer being a minor. And even if the woman was still a minor and therefore under the agreement of the charter, does that still justify hitting her so hard she had to go to the emergency room? Where do you draw the line between discipline and abuse?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Meier said:

Except that on her 18th birthday, her gift was a stack of new rights, one of which was the right to make decisions regarding herself without her parents' consent.

That's really not the crux of the issue, though. She was paddled for leaving school grounds to get breakfast. Hello? Excessive much? This isn't "out of line," this falls squarely into the category of "Shit everyone does in high school, even the dorks in the Math Club."

She didn't start a fight; she wasn't overtly disrespectful to any faculty member; she wasn't even *gasp* smoking. Physical retribution for something as innane as this is ridiculous, and it truly boggles my mind how a school administrator can get away with this, but parents who pull the same shit at home get carted away faster than you can say "bad touch."

Corporal punishment is outmoded, there's zero need for it in today's society. This is the kind of shit people should be suing schools over, not how a teacher dared to even mention gay couples in a sex education course.

WedgeX

Banned
pnjtony said:
You know how those Catholics are these days.

:lol Always the Catholic bashing.

Unfortunately, it's not the Catholics...

The School of Excellence in Education advocates an "old-school" approach to discipline. Uniforms must be tucked in, girls can wear only one pair of earrings, and boys must open doors and pull out chairs for their female peers. It is the only public school in Bexar County that paddles students.

Meier

Master Z said:
The issue here is that she is now an adult and that charter her parents signed should be void due to her no longer being a minor. And even if the woman was still a minor and therefore under the agreement of the charter, does that still justify hitting her so hard she had to go to the emergency room? Where do you draw the line between discipline and abuse?

She's still a student though and under the jurisdiction of the school's rules. As far as her going to the emergency room, something tells me she probably didnt exactly NEED to go there but trumped up the whole thing. If she needed to go there, it probably would have said she received X injuries and was bleeding profusely, etc.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Meier said:
She's still a student though and under the jurisdiction of the school's rules. As far as her going to the emergency room, something tells me she probably didnt exactly NEED to go there but trumped up the whole thing. If she needed to go there, it probably would have said she received X injuries and was bleeding profusely, etc.

And the school's own rules dictate that they apparently need permission to paddle the kids. The moment she turned 18, she shouldn't have been obliged to the consent form her parents submitted, or should've been asked again. (Like she'd say yes?)

From the article:

"I started screaming because I thought he had broke my hand," she said. Serafin said she went to the hospital because she could hardly walk after school and her hand was severely swollen. Her hand was put in a cast at the emergency room.

Azih

She's still a student though and under the jurisdiction of the school's rules
If a waiver from her parents was required for her to be under that particular rule then no, as soon as she become an adult she was no longer under jurisdiction as the waiver was no longer valid. Now if the school got her to sign the waiver herself.. :lol

Well, if you were to get really anal about it, I'd say that irrespective of your views on corporal punishment, the line should've been drawn at the instant she turned 18 years of age.

Desperado

belgurdo said:
I don't recognize Texas as part of the US

N-Hezbollah-1.jpg

:lol I was waiting for that.

Anyway...around here [SE Houston] I always heard that that kind of stuff wasn't allowed anymore...although I think that was concerning public school. So yeah, no corporal punishment here.

etiolate

Banned
The School of Excellence in Education advocates an "old-school" approach to discipline. Uniforms must be tucked in, girls can wear only one pair of earrings, and boys must open doors and pull out chairs for their female peers. It is the only public school in Bexar County that paddles students.

Is the paddling to prepare them for being a good homemaker and wife that happens to fall down the stairs a lot?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
she got paddled for leaving school to go and get breakfast??!?

for fucksake!

Not sure about everyone else, but once you are in higher education in the UK (A-levels up) you can leave the premisis whenever you want.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Meier said:

No, she's an adult. She doesn't even have to go to school if she doesn't want to. She isn't obligated to follow any of the school rules, and if they don't like that they can call the proper authorities (read: the police) who can deal with her. And guess what - if the cops had done this to her you people would be up in arms. Fucking hypocritical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom