• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up: The Last Guardian will likely be at TGS 2010

Speevy said:
It's a Team ICO game. Its quality will be based on the kinds of emotions and ideas it evokes, rather than a combination of masterfully crafted gameplay features.

If Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a "perfect" game because there aren't better platformers, TLG will reach its pinnacle by creating a realm of experiences unlike what the player has seen before.

Likewise, the game's only downside could be that you feel like you've played it before.

ummm... no

Don't know about Ico but SOTC was a good game (one of the best IMO) because it was a fun game with great gameplay. I thought the story and the narrative were second to these amazing boss battles who played like giant puzzles and were different and unique every time.

Anyway this is one of those games that you don't wanna rush at all giving the small size of the team and how different their games are from the rest. I'm expecting it to be a fall 2011 release but would be happily surprised if it came out earlier.

Oh and Sony Ico/SOTC on bluray, easy money.

Yoboman

How big is Team ICO? There must be something bigger to the game than we've seen for there to be such a large development time

Hopefully it doesn't turn into the next Alan Wake where you're left wondering why it took so long for this

Speevy

Banned
TheThunder said:
ummm... no

Don't know about Ico but SOTC was a good game (one of the best IMO) because it was a fun game with great gameplay. I thought the story and the narrative were second to these amazing boss battles who played like giant puzzles and were different and unique every time.

Anyway this is one of those games that you don't wanna rush at all giving the small size of the team and how different their games are from the rest. I'm expecting it to be a fall 2011 release but would be happily surprised if it came out earlier.

Oh and Sony Ico/SOTC on bluray, easy money.

I agree but I wasn't really referring to the story. The gameplay is part of the feelings and experiences I was talking about.

Issun23

Yoboman said:
How big is Team ICO? There must be something bigger to the game than we've seen for there to be such a large development time

Right now some 40-45 people. At their peak there were 25 people working on ICO and 35 people on Shadow of the Colossus.

It takes time animating everything by hand. The main character's movement hit the desired quality only early this year. The priority before that was realizing Trico.

ZeroRay

I think that they weren't prepared for the leak last year and wanted to reveal the game last year at TGS or maybe even this year at E3.

At this point TLG might be released in 2012.

Issun23

ZeroRay said:
I think that they weren't prepared for the leak last year and wanted to reveal the game last year at TGS or maybe even this year at E3.

At this point TLG might be released in 2012.

No they were working hard to get everything ready to make the E3 trailer for last year. They weren't prepared for the leak in the sense that they wanted to surprise everyone with the real trailer and not with a 2007 pilot video.

ZeroRay

Issun23 said:
No they were working hard to get everything ready to make the E3 trailer for last year. They weren't prepared for the leak in the sense that they wanted to surprise everyone with the real trailer and not with a 2007 pilot video.

Hmm...

Then it simply might be the case of Ueda not wanting to show off too much shit. :lol

Issun23

ZeroRay said:
Hmm...

Then it simply might be the case of Ueda not wanting to show off too much shit. :lol

I guess so. :lol

At least he sketched this in time for E3:

6ie9tu.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yoboman said:

Hopefully it doesn't turn into the next Alan Wake where you're left wondering why it took so long for this

It takes a long time to develop new animations and graphical things in games in the way Team ICO does.

The things they did on the PS2 were amazing.

Yoboman

mckmas8808 said:
It takes a long time to develop new animations and graphical things in games in the way Team ICO does.

The things they did on the PS2 were amazing.
That's what I'm hoping for, something transcendent that really makes us look at gameplay in new ways. ICO did new things for AI partners, Shadow of the Colossus for gigantic boss gameplay and visuals. I'm really wondering what TLG is all about because they've shown us so little

Vard

Since it was a no show at E3 this is expected. I'm looking forward to seeing more, but I try not to think of the game in the meantime since the wait would be excruciating.

Darktails

Eh, I predict a late 2011 or an early 2012 release. There are rumors going around that the game was still in a very early stage of development when they first showed it at E3 last year.

Orobi

Darktails said:
Eh, I predict a late 2011 or an early 2012 release. There are rumors going around that the game was still in a very early stage of development when they first showed it at E3 last year.

Because they are working to the HD remix first.... :)

Mush

Orobi said:
Because they are working to the HD remix first.... :)
As orgasmic as those would be, I would rather play TLG first. I still have both ICO and SotC waiting for me on my shelf if I need them. :D

Or even better include the HD games with TLG ala God of War SE.

kevm3

Hopefully they update the main character. Everything looks fantastic in TLG except the little kid. He looks like he came from a PS2 game and the fact that he is highlighted doesn't help matters.

Issun23

kevm3 said:
Hopefully they update the main character. Everything looks fantastic in TLG except the little kid. He looks like he came from a PS2 game and the fact that he is highlighted doesn't help matters.

While the brightness around him might be an artistic choice similar to Yorda's, work on the hero hit its peak only early this year. The team wanted to complete work on the creature first before turning their full attention to the boy. Apparently there's been such great improvement that his range of actions and movements is almost unrecognisable compared to when they started on the project.

Darktails said:

I think that those rumors are off

Ueda closed off his interview with a brief statement about release time frame. "We're at the stage where we're looking into the time frame. Once the time frame has been decided upon, it won't be long until release. With Last Guardian, we're working intently with the aim of making a game that offers a kind of fun that cannot be experienced elsewhere, so I'd like everyone to wait just a bit more."

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/02/03/fumito_ueda_on_last_guardian/

Paracelsus

"Likely"? They make me sick. They better be the best 5 hours of gameplay ever, because 6 years worth of waiting are horrifying.

Cesar

Banned
Issun23 said:
The music from the E3 2009 and the TGS 2009 trailers is not. The one used for the documentary, maybe. Nothing's been confirmed yet.

I know the music from the trailers is from the movie "Miller's Crossing", but I'm talking about the music in this documentry. I really would like to know where it's from, it's wonderful. I hope it's from the game. :)

Issun23

Cesar said:
I know the music from the trailers is from the movie "Miller's Crossing", but I'm talking about the music in this documentry. I really would like to know where it's from, it's wonderful. I hope it's from the game. :)

All we know right now is that The Last Guardian will use music that changes dramatically according to the situation the hero is in. The music used in the documentary seems to fit that description.

Koralsky

Better be on gamescon or TGS, along with Team Ico Collection.

I think it will be huge win for Sony if they show new The Last Guardian video with official announcement for Ico and Shadow HD on Europe or Japan territory.

Koralsky said:
Better be on gamescon or TGS, along with Team Ico Collection.

I think it will be huge win for Sony if they show new The Last Guardian video with official announcement for Ico and Shadow HD on Europe or Japan territory.

Ueda mentioned that new info for TLG would come at E3 or TGS. With E3 over that just leaves TGS. I think the focus at gamescom for Sony will be GT5's full unveiling along with the rumored KZ3 multiplayer unveil. They'll probably announce a new game also.

jett

D-Member
I hope Ko Otani returns as composer....but I love how they used that theme from Miller's Crossing. It fits the game better than the movie. :lol

Yoboman

jett said:
I hope Ko Otani returns as composer....but I love how they used that theme from Miller's Crossing. It fits the game better than the movie. :lol
Ko Otani was fantastic in SotC. I figure whoever Ueda picks though will be perfect for the game

Shadow of the Colossus was very bombastic though, so Ueda may look elsewhere

SolidSnakex said:
Ueda mentioned that new info for TLG would come at E3 or TGS. With E3 over that just leaves TGS. I think the focus at gamescom for Sony will be GT5's full unveiling along with the rumored KZ3 multiplayer unveil. They'll probably announce a new game also.

Don't be so sure about KZ3.

Issun23

It'd be nice if we got a trailer out of Gamescom. All other regions got one at their respective game shows so it'd be only fair us Euros got one too.

Ueda would spend a day compiling footage to make a trailer for ICO ten years ago. I wonder if that process changed over the years.

im actually glad it wasnt shown at E3. means that Sony has let the team focus on making the game, and not force them to do trailers or whatever. not a good idea to disturb them now, they're a rather small team and i imagine they're at critical stages of development.

astroturfing said:
im actually glad it wasnt shown at E3. means that Sony has let the team focus on making the game, and not force them to do trailers or whatever. not a good idea to disturb them now, they're a rather small team and i imagine they're at critical stages of development.

Oh come on ... they aren't brittle Fabergé eggs or something. Another trailer would have been awesome since it was unveiled at E3.

flyinpiranha said:
Oh come on ... they aren't brittle Fabergé eggs or something. Another trailer would have been awesome since it was unveiled at E3.
You don't need 40 trailers for a Team Ico game to get what it's about, it's not Metal Gear Solid.

flyinpiranha said:
oh yes they are! don't disturb the delicate genius at his work!

and btw there was another trailer.

Issun23

SolidSnakex said:
Ueda now has a Twitter account.

He says he'll be at CEDEC this year too, but I don't think he'll have a session, there has been no announcement yet. Hajime Sugiyama, lead programmer on all ICO games will be part of a discussion about programming and visual arts though.

@teamicogamers we always check your pages. thanks!

That lucky bastard should really start updating his blog again. He's been neglecting it for too long.

Issun23

Tabz said:
Do you guys think they'll announce a release date?

Earlier this year Ueda said they were considering a target date, and that the game would be released shortly after the date's announcement, so it may be possible.

Top Bottom