• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2.30 PS3 firmware is out now

BeeDog

Oooooh boy, here we go again.

I wonder if the XviD/DivX playback will be improved once again with this firmware.

Mohonky said:
Mate if paying $50 enables them to get their shit together, I'm all for it.
I'm not.

I will never pay for online play, NEVER, even if it means we get a slow (even though it really isn't) store and no cross game invites.

sullyj

What an exciting week.

Mohonky said:
Mate if paying $50 enables them to get their shit together, I'm all for it.

bailout.jpg

nib95

Banned
Sage00 said:
Sony need to be reducing the OS memory footprint, not adding more useless options. I imagine fitting in-game friends list in there is already wasteful enough. Do you WANT PS3 versions of multiplats to continue being inferior to 360's because "in game soundtracks" are using the space for a high res helmet texture?

Until PS3's OS is as efficient as 360's stop asking for more features.

This is such an idiotic way to look at things. Because they don't improve one thing, they should stop providing improvements for everything else. LOL. Am I reading this stuff right here?

People need to shut the fuck up. I like that the PS3 now upscales DVD's to Denon and Oppo like quality. That it offers 24hz Blu-ray playback, that it uses the new BR profile. That it can now use DTS HD MA, up-scale and smoothen PS2/PS1 games, support DivX files above 2GB, has a new improved store, new musc playing backgrounds and so on. I don't care how many updates there are, (unless it's one every day) as long as each update improves my system or gives me more functionality somehow. The more features Sony can add to the PS3, the better.

If they sit on improvements just so they can bundle a whole load together in a lump at said periods, they are imo being lazy. Seriously, I honestly hate the idea of Sony slowing down the rate of PS3 improvements because of some whiney and (imo) lazy users who simply can't be bothered to update on a regular basis. Either that, or they are regular haters who just love to complain about everything PS3 related.

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Ello

Metalmurphy said:
I'm not.

I will never pay for online play, NEVER, even if it means we get a slow (even though it really isn't) store and no cross game invites.

Same here.

Mohonky said:
(...)
Well it's been a year and a half now and it's still the same crap it's always been. That's a year and a half since launch anyway. They knew what the competition had another year ahead of that aswell.

(...)
The console launched a year later, and now another year and a half later again and they're still floundering to add functionality the competition had at launch.

(...)
Yes, and it's mostly pointless shit.

(...)
I would rather they focussed on getting the damn basics rather than pissing about with tiny (in terms of features anyway) little incremental updates.

(...)
Oh boy that'll be the day. I won't be holding my breathe for it. It's been 'coming' for an enternity.

Don't make me talk about pointless shit here...

Metalmurphy said:
I'm not.

Same. Sure all the bells and whistles of LIVE are great and technically make it a better experience in some ways, but after playing Resistance multiplayer for the longest time, I didn't really find myself wishing it were more like LIVE.

IzumiK

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
I'm not.

I vote you for vice president of Colbert Nation.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mohonky said:
With my PS3 it takes 20minutes to download about about another 10 to install.

The Playstation Store is still a slow POS, I still have to install game demo's for whatever reason and the functionality of the console as far as media streaming and any form of in game XMB access is almost entirely absent by comparison.
I don't know what's going on with network in Europe, but here in Canada, it takes at most 5-10 minutes to download and install any of the updates. I measured once even. They are updating PS3 store tomorrow, and it's a complete overhaul. If you've seen the video of it in action, I think you'd agree that it's anything but slow POS now.

As far as media streaming goes, I don't even know what more they could add. I can stream h264 files with 5.1 sound, as well as regular h264 stereo, divx and xvid through the network. Where's the problem there?

AmMortal

Banned
Marconelly said:
I don't know what's going on with network in Europe, but here in Canada, it takes at most 5-10 minutes to download and install any of the updates. I measured once even. They are updating PS3 store tomorrow, and it's a complete overhaul. If you've seen the video of it in action, I think you'd agree that it's anything but slow POS now.

As far as media streaming goes, I don't even know what more they could add. I can stream h264 files with 5.1 sound, as well as regular h264 stereo, divx and xvid through the network. Where's the problem there?

mine's at 10 minutes an update too

IzumiK

Banned
Marconelly said:
but here in Canada, it takes at most 5-10 minutes to download and install any of the updates. I measured once even.
I don't even measure. I just go do something else useful, but I won't get on GAF and make ridiculous complaint posts.:lol

Sweet, me loves them firmware updates.

Also, stop complaining. The PS3, as whole, has changed dramatically from when it first launched and it hasn't cost you a cent to get any of the improvements.

Christopher

Why do you guys give the idiots so much attention - like 1/2 the posts on here are geared toward his whining, so what let him bitch - no one cares.

Excellent - I hope they add more features like they always do.

Pallaris

As far as media streaming goes, I don't even know what more they could add.

WMA Lossless support for a start :) In all fairness, I think they've done a pretty good job so far of improving the value proposition and functionality of the box with the firmware upgrades. They could go on forever improving the software so it'll be interesting to see how the XMB evolves over time.

I'm not.

Word. If they ever get round to in-game messaging/invites then it's basically about as feature complete as you'd want. Dedicated servers are a major plus as well in my book.

Synless

_leech_ said:
Sweet, me loves them firmware updates.

Also, stop complaining. The PS3, as whole, has changed dramatically from when it first launched and it hasn't cost you a cent to get any of the improvements.
This is why I haven't paid nor will ever pay for XBL. I love my ps3 and downloads are no faster on my ps3 then my 360.

Christopher said:
Why do you guys give the idiots so much attention - like 1/2 the posts on here are geared toward his whining, so what let him bitch - no one cares.

Excellent - I hope they add more features like they always do.

Exactly. Its sad that SONY listened to the crybabies, but we don't have to give them the time of day on GAF.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pallaris said:
WMA Lossless support for a start :)
I don't know if FLAC is supported also, and I never tested either, but I seem to remember TVersity provides decoding of those formats into an uncompressed WAV stream that PS3 can play.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
AmericanNinja said:
Agreed 100%.

Me too. In fact, I'm willing to bet more than half the players on all online games would be gone if that were to happen. What a horrible idea.

Ranger X

I don't get it. There's an update tomorrow and then there's another one tuesday??
I should just update the whole thing tuesday then hmm?

h3ro

Ranger X said:
I don't get it. There's an update tomorrow and then there's another one tuesday??
I should just update the whole thing tuesday then hmm?

Tuesday is the Firmware update. Thursday is just the PSN Store content update... it'll be tons of stuff!

Link

The Autumn Wind
Mohonky said:
Well it's been a year and a half now and it's still the same crap it's always been. That's a year and a half since launch anyway. They knew what the competition had another year ahead of that aswell.
So you haven't read the thread to see what this update is for at all, huh?

IzumiK said:
I don't even measure. I just go do something else useful, but I won't get on GAF and make ridiculous complaint posts.:lol
I make sandwiches.

itxaka

Defeatist
does somebody knows until when you can download MGO on the european store? I´m on travel that day (17th) and I´m coming back the 20th!

If they only keep it for one or 2 days I´ll had to bring my psp and use remote play to download it :S

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Mohonky said:
I'm updating to 2.2 as I type this. Seriously this is ridiculous. Everytime I turn this damn thing on there's another update.

It'd be alright if they were only small quick updates but seriously Sony wtf?
So you havent turned on your PS3 in a month? Sounds like a personal problem to me. Or as we loosely say at work, its a PICNIP: problem exists in chair not in PS3.

captive said:
So you havent turned on your PS3 in a month? Sounds like a personal problem to me. Or as we loosely say at work, its a PICNIP: problem exists in chair not in PS3.
yeah, i dunno why people who turn their ps3 on or less than 5 minutes a month complain.

slider

Marconelly said:
I don't know what's going on with network in Europe...

Just in case you'd noticed my comment about the web browser Marconelly, it's only connecting to the homepage where I get a delay (in fact I'll jump to another page - without problems - cos it doesnt seem to progress at all).

PSN Store and online gaming(!) are as good as ever (my connection has always been damn fast). I can't remember what it was like the last time I did a FW update - but I didn't notice it. If it does take a long time I'd just switch the TV on and watch... umm, Everybody Loves Raymond.

Erebus

Metalmurphy said:
I'm not.

Well said mate, I couldn't agree more!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
NeoUltima said:
Shit, next few weeks are going to be amazing. New PS store, GTAIV, MGO Beta, GT5P, etc.

Yeah man I was thinkin the same thing. All new store this week, GT5P, new store content again, MGO beta, all that stuf you said. Few more weeks and gamers day is here with all new trailers and footage, and then soon after that MGS4... all this in time for summer.:D

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Whaaaaaaaat? We still gotta wait until thursday for new stuff? That sucks! How do ya launch a new store with nothing new on the first day! >.<

cjdunn

[cricket, cricket]

But seriously, it'd be interesting what Lair DLC has to offer.
...to salvage its reputation

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wollan said:
If you're European, EVERYONE get's it for free from the PS Store this Thursday.
Wait, so I just simply need to download the game from PSN? That's it?

Top Bottom