• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2+ weeks after release: how do you feel about Star Fox: Zero's controls?

For what it's worth, I welcome opinions from everyone in this thread, and ask that people post the extent of their experience with the game (time, medals gotten, etc.).

I'll start out by saying I completely understand the problems people have these controls, while learning them, using them after getting used to them, just on a conceptual level, and from an accessibility perspective. This game currently has no true options for controls (not even sensitivity sliders or button remapping) and it would've only been a better experience for everyone overall if there were more options.

That said, to anyone who's a strong fan of Star Fox and/or Star Fox 64: you owe it to yourself to try this game. I won't recommend that anyone buy this game without trying it first, but it's absolutely worth seeing whether you'll like it if you've been pining for another SF game of this ilk as I have — I have some qualms with the game and the decisions and circumstances surrounding it, but the meat of the game and its controls are probably the strongest aspects. I'm truly glad I played it, and have pretty thoroughly enjoyed most of it as a traditional Star Fox/64-type game, something I couldn't say for the past few SF titles.

Before release

I was disappointed learning about the strange controls and found the "aim in a different direction from where the ship is flying," off-putting as it meant gyro aiming would be unavoidable, something I'd never used comfortably in a game. I was also put off by the visuals, speed, amount of enemies and various comments from Miyamoto about the game's features (no bombs [which suggested a lack of concern for high scores and options], no plans for multiplayer, only planned for a short turn around, no plans for branching paths, etc.). Just a bunch of things Pretty down on the game, even up to release.

Post release

All of this is after playing for 20+ hours, getting all medals and playing a few hours with friends/family.

Arwing:

The Arwing controls clicked for me to my surprise, and much quicker than I expected. I did two runs through the training for the Arwing. I got used to glancing between the two screens and while I wasn't going to be comfortable doing any involved steering while shooting in other directions, I could wrp my head around moving in a general direction while shooting in another, or doing complex maneuvering, then focusing on shooting. There's nothing in the game that outright demands simultaneous complex movement and complex aiming, but it would theoretically be doable.

Barrel-rolls on the right stick seemingly don't affect directional movement that much, so the problems brought on by having "double tap joystick," as an input are mitigated because it usually doesn't matter which way you're rolling (that that does affect the Walker). These can also be done by quickly hitting left-to-right or vice versa, and joystick inputs like that tend to be wonky for a lot of reasons (hard to reliably move a joystick directly back-to-forward without it registering as diagonal-back-to-foward or something else, and double tapping non-digital inputs leaves too much room for the game misreading them). All that said, they work okay, though I'd rather have the left shoulder button be a "hold, then move left/right to roll," unput — that is currently only used for canceling the lock-on, something I don't find much use for since I don't go for super-high scores.

Loop-de-loops and u-turns being on the sticks actually is good in my eyes as I like not having to move my thumbs/fingers away from their default positions — I seem to accidentally perform loops/u-turns more now than when I first started playing the game, for some reason. It can be easy to do them on accident (breaking while tilting upward has close inputs to the u-turn, same with boosting while tilting up) and it'd just be better to have an option to turn off stick maneuvers altogether (those can be done with face buttons). Still, I appreciate that they're doable in that way, and I never have a problem performing them, it's just that they sometimes happen when I don't want them to — not sure what could be done to mitigate that problem. PvE isn't quite so demanding that the accessibility advantage by not needing to move one's right thumb to the face buttons is really needed, so it's not a big deal. If there were multiplayer, that would be a different story.

Arwing on-rails:

Arwing on-rails is great in that it's very close to Star Fox 64's gameplay with the added ability to aim within a half-sphere field ahead of the ship. I came to genuinely like using cockpit view, (in part because it doesn't actually flip all the way around when barrel-rolling like it did in 64. That view no longer being locked to the ship's orientation means it isn't as restrictive and becomes useful in myriad situations, rather than a novelty that puts the player at serious disadvantages. It's still a bit occasionally hard for me to get a feel for the ship's presence in that view and I find myself clipping scenery that I would more easily avoid in 3rd-person view, especially when tilting the ship on its side to pass through tight spaces. Still, the cockpit view is good for most situations, and I've played through every (non Gyrowing) level entirely through the cockpit view.

The vehicle/3rd-person view in on-rails missions is great too overall, classic SF 64, but the way the reticule works can make it seem really off — the cockpit view reticule is always dead-on of course, but since the 3rd-person reticule shows the angle of the cockpit view, that can sometimes be almost useless for far away targets from the 3rd-person camera perspective, even with the gyro aim centered and held stationary. I've seen a few ideas as to how that could be mitigated, and I believe the best way would be to focus on making the 3rd-person view's reticule give a better representation of where shots will land, first and foremost, as opposed to showing the angle/direction the cockpit view is facing, since the latter isn't useful when using the 3rd-person view. Switching between views is ideal, but I still see no inherent good in having the cursor be as off as it is in the vehicle view — it doesn't need to somehow show the extreme side-views possible using the cockpit view (e.g. all the way to the left/right, which would be impossible), but it should be better than it is.

Arwing all-range mode:

While the on-rails gameplay gyro aiming is helpful and neat at times, it's when in all-range mode that the controls justify their existence. The all-range dogfights in 64 and even in Assault and Command felt pretty rote and simplistic against NPCs, and other people alike, in that players could only u-turn, loop, or turn sharply, and you could only boost for a short time and do either of those special maneuvers with a predictable cool-down.

Zero's gyro aim allows for enemies to be more mobile than before, and I really came to like being able to turn and break sharply, then shoot an enemy chasing behind me without needing to resort to a loop-de-loop. Being able to aim more accurately and leading shots is much more exciting, and those dogfights can be made to be more demanding than before with more enemies and more aggressive opponents (i.e. Star Wolf's special attacks in some scenarios). There's enough boost in the boost meter to do two loops or u-turns back-to-back, and breaking/boosting can be done for much longer. This is the main reason I lament there being no multiplayer, because for the first time the Arwing vs. Arwing gameplay (not including the Star Fox: Assault ship exiting/switching shenanigans, which was fantastic) could be genuinely engaging by being less predictable and stilted. Having a high degree of control (or at least, a much higher degree of control than in previous SF games) would make for a fun multiplayer. the 3rd-person view can let you keep track of the ship/boss you're locked onto and once I got used to it, I could make good use of it by seeing where an enemy started flying while I was doing a loop or u-turn, then quickly aiming the cockpit view at their location while turn toward them. Before I would've just lost track of them for a bit, and in a couple fights in Zero, this is really useful.

Weak points on bosses can actually be challenging to hit now that the player can have more control over aiming. I appreciate enemies with hard-to-reach weak spots (like the spider walkers top/bottom spots) and it's a welcome change of pace (in that you're still shooting things and maneuvering a fun-to-use ship) to have to do bombing runs, passing over them, looking down and landing shots.

Doing loops and u-turns shouldn't lock the players view during their duration though — I want to be able to still aim around while looping, and so forth. It's nice that it's a way to reset the view, but I can do that at any time already with the left joystick, which is always going to be at my disposal.

Walker

Only a few instances where the Walker on-rails used can happen actually, but it's fine there.

Most of the time, it's all-range mode for it. I like using it when locked onto something — the ship will adjust to face what you lock-onto, and you can then strafe around it while aiming with the gyro. You can hold the lock-on button to strafe when not targeting an enemy, though I didn't use that too much, and only found it useful to mitigate problems while moving in tight spaces.

I found the Walker's movement fiddly, and still do. Having turning left/right be on both joysticks (can use both to turn quicker) has led to me barrel-rolling when I didn't want to, and since rolling in Walker form is a side-flip, that can be a problem when trying to maneuver onto small platforms or enemies (which is needed to hack a few control panels in the game). The "left-to-right," right joystick input has messed me up too many times since that will do a flip, even though I'm just looking from one direction to another quickly.

It's a neat addition to the arsenal, but I don't find the walker much fun in tight spaces, one of the only few places where it's useful over the Arwing. It's faster on land than the Landmaster, but not fast enough to be faster than the Arwing low above the ground. It isn't like controlling a traditional on-foot character since it seeks to emulate controlling a ship, but it's too fast and too fiddly for me to accomplish that feeling (something I find the Landmaster to do very well). I'd have preferred this to essentially control like Vanquish, and move extremely fast on land, yet provide functional dodging and snappier aiming to allow dancing around enemies. If this ever comes back, that's what I'd hope for — it should feel liberating and exhilarating when using it.

Gyrowing:

My biggest criticism of the Gyrowing is how it's used. I don't especially like using the ship itself, but it's functional. There are some quality-of-life improvements it could use, namely being able to move while reeling in the Direct-i bot and not being locked in place and just faster movement. That said, it's fine.

The level it gets all to itself is meant to be a stealth mission, but it's mostly just open space that you drift through — really dull and uneventful, and isn't even demanding as a stealth op. Had where the level lacked in high-speed action, it made up for it in being a tense stealth situation that demanded precise movement and timing, it would've been more engaging. As it is, even when trying to avoid spotlights, it's just slow and empty. This is another area I think multiplayer would allow aspects of the game to shine more — a mode where other players have to cover a Gyrowing user while they do a bombing run or something would be inherently more exciting, especially if it allowed two-player-one-ship co-op.

Was a better experience in the level it makes a brief appearance since that scenario had a soft time limit.

Landmaster

Has virtually nothing I dislike. Just feels awesome to use and has better aiming than its 64 counterpart, yet still feels like steering a heavy, cool tank thing where you have to manage strafing while firing missiles, and so forth. The addition of three lock-on missiles at a time is great and a welcome advantage over other ships. Its levels make good use of what it offers — the spider boss makes evident how nice it is to be able to precision-aim through the cockpit while doing the hover/strafe to dodge its legs/laser fire. Then, when it tries to land on you, you have to switch to the Gravmaster (flying Landmaster, essentially) to outrun it. Just a high degree of control, and a situation that demands some mastery of those controls. Makes each portion of the Landmaster sequences engaging.That the Landmaster is slower than the Arwing helps with selling the use of gyro aiming too — while one could argue classic "locked to ship's nose direction," aiming in the Arwing could be just as fast as gyro aiming (aside from really far up/down/to the sides), in the Landmaster, there was no way to aim this well in 64.

Co-op:

I posted about my experiences playing co-op with my dad in another thread; here's an excerpt pertaining directly to the controls:

Fast-forward to the present, and I finally get him to sit down and play Zero with me. I was super apprehensive about how he'd react to the controls, and I warned him that they were way different from before. By this point, I'd already played through most of the levels and was used to the controls of the Arwing, but I wasn't sure how he'd react.

Turns out, he was doing pretty well on his own, at least in the training mission. He seemed to do better in that than my first time. I had to show him the timing for the somersault and U-turn with the joysticks, and getting used to resetting the gyro and the lock-on took a bit, but overall, it wasn't bad. I could see him doing okay in some of the actual levels. I was really surprised, because this was a man who barely touched a game for almost three whole gens.

We then palyed co-op and had a blast. He was the gunner, and we played the first three stages and the two landmaster ones, which was a lot of fun. Splitting up the shooting and the steering between two people seemed like it would just halve the fun, but each is involved enough to be interesting on its own. There's the added challenge of coordinating with the other person, but just maneuvering the ship fun enough, especially in all-range mode situations. The Fichina boss was great, and I think letting the less experienced person shoot is the best bet. We were having real Star Fox-style banter, calling out plans of attack in real time.

That about sums up my experience with the controls themselves. I would've preferred a much better showcase for the Gyrowing, or to just not have it featured tbh, and the Walker should be more swift and more like Vanquish, in short. The Arwing and Landmaster could've carried this game entirely, and with a few tweaks to the controls, they would be pretty perfect for what they are.

There still needs to be more options (or options, full stop), maybe have a demo stage for people on the fence, and a better way of teaching players how to use them (not that the training missions are bad, they could just be better). A refinement of what Zero has done could make for a truly great sequel, but that's really up in the air because of the skimpy content and negative feedback the game has gotten because of them. Multiplayer would be the best way of validating the higher degree of control, and would make evident how functional they are to everyone just from seeing others use them well. We'll see.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like the Walker controls are terribly outdated. They make me feel like I'm playing Mega Man Legends back on PS1.

The dual-screen stuff takes quite a bit to get used to, but once you do it's rather inoffensive.

Everything else is...okay, and while I wouldn't say they ruined the game, I doubt that it's the best way to play the game.

Eddyhdzg

Banned
The only time I hated the controllers was against the "spider" boss, for some reason I had a really difficult time with that.

Aside of that, it's fantastic and when it clicks, it's amazing.

Hate them. It's still a constant struggle for me... there's no feeling like it's smooth or fun to play. A shame, really. I'm glad there are people who can enjoy it, just sort of a game design mistake to have the controls the way they are in my opinion.

I never bothered to complete the game. I tried, but it's just frustrating when the hardest enemy in the game is the "struggling with controls" miniboss that you have to deal with at all times.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Arwing free range mode is absolute garbage. Walker is clunky as well.

As zi said in the other thread: this is an 8/10- or 9/10-score game with 2.5/10 controls.

The fact this topic even needed to be made shows you had bad the controls are.

Okay ... ?

This isn't a "let's convince people the controls are good" thread. It's for people to discuss the controls as I want to see a cross section of how people reacted to them on a personal level, rather than only scores of lazy posts saying "the controls are bad and don't work" or "the controls are great, you just need to try harder bro," that plagued other threads. I've been snapped at by other extremes too much to want that to happen again.

Those posts are unavoidable, but there's more of a chance for actual personal accounts. That's why the thread was "needed," to be made.

I wasn't having fun until 70% of my initial run of the game. I'm glad I powered through to get used to them but if my life were any busier at the time, I would have hated the game. The logic behind the controls makes sense and once It clicks, it gives you abilities that no other Star Fox game could manage. Your mileage may vary on that clicking point.

Esque7

I find the motion controls to be great actually and feel many players are completely missing the point as to why they are there. The game was designed around the ability to decouple movement and aim so traditional controls would handicap a player quite a bit. That said, the main issues are lack of control options such as button remapping as you stated. Other issues I had with the game are content, which seems to mainly be a result of the low budget the game received.

Overall, I can't help but feel this game would have benefited by having more development time/budget and a release date of about 3 years ago.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I won't get quite as wordy as the OP got but I think they work great.

It's a shame that the folks that don't like them tend to automatically label the game garbage instead of just having a "They don't work for me." opinion instead.

Arttemis

Seven hours of gameplay in, and I've simply lost the desire to even turn it on. The controls don't click with me, and the premise of a star fighter shooting any direction than straight ahead disagrees with my expectations from the genre.

I'm really not a fan, and I bought the game expecting to love it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I just couldn't get into the controls. It sucks because I can tell the Star Fox sequel I wanted is there, it's just not with a control scheme I like. In hindsight, I should have just gone with my gut and returned the game instead of opening it due to recommendations from people in the OT.

And kudos to you Spring for understanding the concept of opinions and not belittling people that simply don't like the controls, unlike a few of the game's defenders.

cand

I find them very hard but i'm gettin' better. I wish there was an online multiplayer to try out my skills against another players. I kinda like it but I perfectly understand why people don't want to invest time in nailing the controls.

Hugstable

Banned
I did not like them at all. Much of the time I was just wishing that they didn't screw up the aiming on the top screen to force using the Gamepad aiming. I really like the game, even the slower levels, but the controls and chickenbot really just made it a game that I really didn't enjoy as much as could have. Though I must say I really enjoy Star Fox Guard. Wish they could've kept the motion control and gamepad gameplay with Star Fox Guard and made Star Fox Zero just regular Star Fox controls.

they are great once i got used to them i was able to get the high score on every stage and felt a huge satisfaction once i mastered them.

Kouichi

I got used to them pretty early on and loved them throughout the entire game. The gyro controls and free aiming add a lot to overall gameplay and definitely improve the core Star Fox gameplay in so many ways. The walker and landmaster especially are just so much better when you have more freedom to aim. After beating Zero, I hope gyro aiming becomes a norm for the series.

However, I feel the second screen aiming isn't really that special. It's certainly fun and novel once you nail it, but I don't think it added a whole lot to the overall formula and I would preferred a stronger focus on the graphics.

Count me in the "clicked quickly and felt better than the old way" camp with regard to Arwing/Landmaster stuff.

The other modes/vehicles didn't work so well for me, but that has less to do with controls and more to do with game design.

Rhanitan

At first i played the game a lot like star fox 64 where i just kept the reticule centered for the most part and pointed my ship at whatever i wanted to shoot and that worked fine for getting me through the game but then i started going for medals and high scores and quickly learned that i need to get better at flying in one direction but shooting to the sides or below/above my ship which took a couple hours of practice before it stopped hurting my brain.Kinda feels like patting your head while rubbing your belly at the same time at first.Playing 3d games with camera controls seperate from the player gave me a similar feeling as well back in the day.

After mastering the controls they feel clearly superior to anything in past SF games. Gives the player way more option on how to approach different combat encounters and makes you feel awesome when you pull off and extra tricky maneuver.

Peltz

I just wished it were 100% arwing controls.

But overall, I think the game feels fantastic. I actually think it's best to play with first person on the HDTV and 3rd person controls on the gamepad. It really makes the shooting feel natural, immersive, and fun. I only look at the gamepad to see my surroundings during complicated maneuvers or when dodging enemy fire.

Overall, it feels great, but the non-arwing sections just feel unnecessary to me.

The two screen stuff is ass.

Should have been like Starfox 64 with using the gyro for fine aiming like Splatoon. No All Range Mode, and none of that shitty boss lock on camera nonsense.

I think the flight controls for the Arwing and Gyrowing are fantastic. They took me a couple of hours to get used to, and I still have to sit on my bed with the Gamepad propped up on me knees so I'm not craning my neck to look between screens, but I really like'em. Gyro-aiming is the one form of motion controls I think is genuinely better than traditional controls, so being able to gyro-aim while still being able to fly normally feels great.

The Arwing Walker controls are genuinely bad, though. All they needed to do was map the vertical thruster feature to a button, or literally any other input than what they have currently, because I am constantly flying straight up when I just want to turn. You push the right stick left or right to turn, but you pull it back for the thrusters, and the angle that the game recognises as 'pulling back' feels like it's one degree away from directly right or left. Shit's terrible.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I really like them and am still having fun getting good at them. I truly like the game for what it is, but I also understand how and why a lot of people are having a real problem with it.

The criticism I agree with is the walker control mapping. I like the way the walker plays, but the way the controls are mapped is weird and doesn't offer a skill-based advantage for mastering them.

braves01

Banned
The only one I don't really care for is the gyrowing, since it's slow and doesn't invert up/down even though I have that option selected.

SuperJay

The controls are so incredibly frustrating. I'm constantly fighting them. Dividing my attention between the TV and the controller is painful. Maybe because I'm blind in one eye??

I'm on the final level of my first run-through and I just can't bring myself to return to the game.

That's not true. For example, the controls for Kid Icarus Uprising are very divisive. Doesn't mean they are definitively bad (or good).

In the case of Star Fox, they never clicked for me. The game never clicked for me. The more I play it, the less I like it. Which is unfortunate.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Second screen and gyro don't add much, but don't take away much either outside of the crappy camera-locked bosses.

Boost/Brake/Roll/Hover on the right stick is secretly the worst aspect of the controls. Probably looked like a great idea on paper, but in practice it's pretty bad.

L Thammy

It's still lying in brown package in my bedroom, probably covered in packaging peanuts. Based on my porting the bag around, I think it controls pretty well.

nynt9

Hate them. It's still a constant struggle for me... there's no feeling like it's smooth or fun to play. A shame, really. I'm glad there are people who can enjoy it, just sort of a game design mistake to have the controls the way they are in my opinion.

I never bothered to complete the game. I tried, but it's just frustrating when the hardest enemy in the game is the "struggling with controls" miniboss that you have to deal with at all times.

Arwing free range mode is absolute garbage. Walker is clunky as well.

As zi said in the other thread: this is an 8/10- or 9/10-score game with 2.5/10 controls.

They remain actively offensive and quite possibly the worst controls I've played in any game in the last 5+ years.

The two screen stuff is ass.

Should have been like Starfox 64 with using the gyro for fine aiming like Splatoon. No All Range Mode, and none of that shitty boss lock on camera nonsense.

These are the posts I agree with. I'm normally fine with motion controls, love them on splatoon or Gravity Rush but this game is unplayable to me. I can tell the game itself is great, but the controls are obnoxious. Especially in all range mode. Makes me wonder what I'm missing that makes it click for other people, but seeing how divisive they are, Nintendo should clearly have implemented them as optional.

The only thing I don't like is high-speed somersaults and U-turns activated by flicks of the control sticks - I tend to trigger them at the worst moment possible.

Everything else is great for me, especially Target View which seems to be universally hated for some reason. The latter made all-range levels the best type of levels in the game while they were always considered to be low points of 64 and Assault.

I agree with OP that Landmaster benefited from new control scheme the most. While you generally won't see much aircrafts with untethered aiming in real life (and that makes new Arwing a bit confusing for the first time), aiming separated from movement is one of key features of tanks, so new Landmaster controls really make too much sense.

People who find controls hard to grasp need to play more flight sims in their life. (I would also like to hear from snarky commenters how much have they played the game.)

Killed the franchise.

Nicely done.

Can we stop ignoring the fact that it was Star Fox Command which put the series on ten-year hiatus, and Miyamoto's personal involvement is the only reason we have got a new original Star Fox game at all?

Chicken walker levels killed it for me. Traded the game after playing first three planets. Infuriating.

All I play is shooters and I adore all the previous Star Fox titles. Absolutely could not wrap my head around the controls.

Different controls for each vehicle that are wildly different from each other - and then they change again when you pull LT. Garbage.

This is why we're stuck with dual analogue for the rest of eternity. New control schemes take getting used to. Doesn't mean they're bad.

In this case however... I would love the controls in Star Fox Zero if the aiming reticle wasn't literally broken.

The reticle literally appears in the wrong place. There's no dancing around that fact. It's crap.

Top Bottom