• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

They also have a Kylo Ren model but its well... meh

S566TpVl.jpg

OraleeWey

I looked it up on wiki and it says that they're designed so wide track vehicles like ambulances can go through without slowing down but I'm not sure that will work as Doug said.

Either way, I wouldn't want to hit one in a Lambo.

Yeah, remember I said my wife used to have an MR2? If you didn't hit it so one of the wheels was in the centre of the bump, all you got was scraped undercarriage. Not a nice sound.

That thing had rock solid suspension too so those were a nightmare to drive over
Ooh I see. So I guess they're effective then. Slow down, aim correctly, or suffer damage to the vehicle. Yikes!

Yeah, that's true. But I was just coming home from from my ride and was about to put it away before he hopped on. It was in the back of my mind, though. Doesn't feel right at all.

Was just giving you a bit of stick...lol
Ooh. :p
HJC Boba Fett Helmet:

IkPwU69l.jpg

"No Disintegrations"

They also have a Kylo Ren model but its well... meh

S566TpVl.jpg
Those helmets are pretty cool. I prefer the Boba Fett one. Are they DOT and SNELL?

Dougald

ECE, thank god

I'm fed up of HJC announcing cool helmets and then not approving them for road use in the EU

I think I'd still rather have the bell devil may care helmet:

kTkwWTRl.jpg

Watevaman

I really like the Fett helmet but I definitely can't afford it right now.

Still want to paint my helmet to look like Donatello to match the rex.

Afternoon 2WheelGaf,

I've been bitten by the upgrade bug. I'm currently riding the current generation CBR1000rr and absolutely love her. It's a fantastic bike in just about everyway, and it's done me solid. However, I've been emotionally cheating on her with the Ducati 1299 Panigale.

Recently I've found a 1299S that has less than 200 miles on it, with a a few grand dumped into in mods ($4k Akrapokiv Exhaust, etc) that needs to be sold ASAP as the guy can't afford payments. All-in-all I'd save 3-4k from MSRP, not counting getting a free exhaust and a few mods. What do you say GAF? Should I jump? I've always thought they were a bit too expensive, but if I'm going to get one, I might as well try for the best deal possible, and this seems like it would probably be it.

Anyone here have experience with the Pani? I hear they're hot as balls when in slow traffic, (like literally roast your balls/legs) so that doesn't sound awesome for Texas. I also hear the maintenance is a bitch on Ducati's, and gets really expensive. Is there any merit to these claims!?

As always, thanks GAF!

Dougald

My Monster 1200 is hotter than the fires of hell and maintenance well... hahahaha... get your wallet out. Not the best engine for traffic but it's manageable with the modern switchable riding modes

To be fair, mechanically they're pretty reliable these days and the service intervals are very good. The super expensive service is only every 18k miles now. All is forgiven when you start up that engine, it's the first bike I've had in years that never fails to put a smile on my face

My friends dad has the 1200 Panigale and it's been rock solid, for what it's worth

Dougald

Opinions on the condition of this front sprocket? I'm terrible at gauging these (and tyres)

sXbMfUOl.jpg

FYI guys, clean your front sprockets. Clearly the last owner was even lazier than I was as I'm not sure how my sprocket was able to turn with all the gunk that had collected in there.

Ducati make it surprisingly easy to get at the front sprocket though! They pay you back by requiring you to remove the rear wheel to take the chain guard off though, screw that

Test drove a DL1000 and an S1000XR today. Having only ever driven small engine Kawasakis and then my SV650 and DRZ400SM, the DL1000 engine was different but not alarmingly so--more interesting was the 19in front wheel and longer wheelbase and 500lbs weight and how that affected steering. Not terrible, just different. A very nice ride in general, possibly get a touring screen or top-baffle for the regular screen.

The S1000XR engine, however... man that thing is weird for me. The engine noise for the rpm was very disconcerting for the entire ride, given my experience on the Suz engines. I was already into fifth gear doing just 50mph down the road because I just assumed the engine was ready to upshift from the engine noise. Got it more under control later but still didn't feel comfortable above 5.5k rpm limit. It is much more nimble than the DL1000 though, not surprising given the 17" front. Riding position felt better on the DL1000, a little more taller and upright.

Interesting stuff.

DL1000 is designed to soak up miles and the occasional dirt road. After looking at V-Stroms in 650 and 1000 flavors I ended up getting a Versys 650. Even though I didn't own the Kawasaki for very long I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again if I found me self looking at one again. That being said I almost bought a V-Strom 650 until I found somebody desperate to sell the Kawasaki with hard luggage for a good price.

The Kawasaki did great on a 2000 mile road trip I took, I bet the V-Strom would have been slightly more comfortable.

Yeah my 'exceptional' use case for the DL1000 is drive a couple hundred miles on highway, then off into some rural area, possible dirt road into a state park, and then have enough luggage space to store riding gear securely, go hiking for the day, get back on bike, head back home. Otherwise it will be the colder weather daily driver, as the SV and DRZ are naked.

My Monster 1200 is hotter than the fires of hell and maintenance well... hahahaha... get your wallet out. Not the best engine for traffic but it's manageable with the modern switchable riding modes

To be fair, mechanically they're pretty reliable these days and the service intervals are very good. The super expensive service is only every 18k miles now. All is forgiven when you start up that engine, it's the first bike I've had in years that never fails to put a smile on my face

My friends dad has the 1200 Panigale and it's been rock solid, for what it's worth

Lol, fair enough. I went to the local Ducati place around here to check one out a bit closer in person, and I'll say the sound alone put a pretty big darn smile on my face. That sound is intoxicating.

Don't own a bike but here's one I leafed and striped not too long ago.

Your pinstriping skills are pretty amazing.

Dougald

The reason I asked about the front sprocket is my bike does make a low whisling noise at speeds over 38mph and I'm trying to work out whether its something that needs adjusting, or just weird acoustics (I'm leaning towards the latter). It works out pretty nicely as our BMW buzzes UNDER 35mph so there you go.

In cleaning the chain up I discovered you can't remove the chain guard without first taking off the rear wheel, so I cleaned it in-situ, sod that! After years of using Wurth chain lube I'm done with the product, the newer cans just seem to end up all over the bike and not on the chain itself.

Lol, fair enough. I went to the local Ducati place around here to check one out a bit closer in person, and I'll say the sound alone put a pretty big darn smile on my face. That sound is intoxicating.

There really is nothing like that engine. All the development clearly goes into looks, handling and sound, everything else is unimportant. If you have the means, I highly recommend owning at least one

Yeah, sometimes I do kinda miss the sound my 998 made. The Buells have their own charm in that department, naturally, but there was something about the way that thing revved.

Dougald

It just sounds... dirty. Devotees know my dislike of loud exhausts so I kind of feel like a hypocrite on that bike, but I just tell myself they are the stock pipes so must have passed EU noise regulations...

Managed to get out briefly yesterday on possibly the last nice weekend of the year. Bonus shot of wife looking bored on her 1150

iKTPiYHl.jpg

Also went out for a nice ride on Sat and Sunday.

Saturday went for a 2 and a bit hours ride down to fareham. Very nice area and did a nice 100 mile round trip. Then Sunday went for another 1hour and a half ride. Was a great weekend.

I did find that riding with my rain jacket gives me much more warmth and less windchill. I dont have to stack up the under jacket. It might also be that my jacket is just old.

How much are you getting on your tank for interest?

Dougald

It is getting cold, I was in full leathers and could feel it. The only part of me that was warm was my right leg thanks to the ingenious Italian design of sticking a roasting hot exhaust right next to your thigh

Wife was laughing behind her giant screen and heated grips.

How much are you getting on your tank for interest?

You mean mileage? Probably 130 miles before reserve, about the same as my Street Triple.

Or if you mean the replacement tank, Ducati corporate paid for that! My missing "1200" sticker is being fitted on Friday

Watevaman

Yeah, it was about 40F on my ride to work this morning. A bit too chilly for what I have to wear to work, so I will probably be moving the bike to "for fun" duty.

There really is nothing like that engine. All the development clearly goes into looks, handling and sound, everything else is unimportant. If you have the means, I highly recommend owning at least one

I'm dangerously close to pulling the trigger. To make matters worse I'm already looking at aftermarket toys like seats, pegs, bars and such. >.>

Also, I'm going to need one of those clear clutch covers STAT.

My wife is going to hate me.

It is getting cold, I was in full leathers and could feel it. The only part of me that was warm was my right leg thanks to the ingenious Italian design of sticking a roasting hot exhaust right next to your thigh

Wife was laughing behind her giant screen and heated grips.

You mean mileage? Probably 130 miles before reserve, about the same as my Street Triple.

The mileage on the tank. I am on my first full tank and so far its looking close to 160 miles. I am also going to get my GS hand guards fitted on the scrambler to deflect a bit more wind. Yes that heated grips in the uk should be standard

OraleeWey

Wellp... It's almost midnight, time to go home and it is 48F/9C. I brought my Motorcycle today to work without much to help me with the cold. Send warm thoughts my way.

Edit: I think I'm close to answering "what's the coldest I'll ride?"

Dougald

9C? Ahh, not so bad! What you need to do is invest in a set of hand guards and some heated grips, maybe a small screen, that keeps most journeys tolerable until you approach freezing point...

My wife is going to hate me.

Heh, my wife gives me the opposite problem, she just says 'get one if you want', whether we can afford it or not!

Yes yes, I managed to negotiate a monthly budget and I can go ahead and shop. She also likes riding pillion so I try and get something that she can also enjoy the ride with me.

Dougald

He's probably pointing out some very interesting but terribly dull fact about the cooling system

I like James May but I think that's because I relate to him a little too much... I even own a Dacia Sandero

OraleeWey

9C? Ahh, not so bad! What you need to do is invest in a set of hand guards and some heated grips, maybe a small screen, that keeps most journeys tolerable until you approach freezing point...

Well, it wasn't that bad. My legs were freezing though since that's where I had the least protection.

The WR250R is starting to grow on me. It's a perfect little hooligan bike.

Apparently, maintenance is very minimal. It's also reliable. It can do highway speeds as well. Here it is on video.

Speaking of highway speeds... Not sure if you guys remember but I said I wasn't comfortable riding highway speeds because I needed "more power"? I also said that the handlebar would wobble at 70-75mph. Well, none of that is true anymore. The KLR650 has enough power. I also don't experience any wobble anymore.

Can you guys notice how the handle bar is lowered on the forks? I think that pretty much the reason why I was experiencing wobbling. It was lowered by the previous owner. So any little wind would cause me some wobble. I'm just glad it has been fixed.

This is how it is supposed to be. Plus I've been getting more comfortable and better with my bike that I won't get another bike like I said I would in 2017. I'm going to wait until 2019 when I'm 25 and my insurance premiums go down. The KLR650 can do everything I need just fine for now.

Well, it wasn't that bad. My legs were freezing though since that's where I had the least protection.

The WR250R is starting to grow on me. It's a perfect little hooligan bike.

Apparently, maintenance is very minimal. It's also reliable. It can do highway speeds as well. Here it is on video.

Speaking of highway speeds... Not sure if you guys remember but I said I wasn't comfortable riding highway speeds because I needed "more power"? I also said that the handlebar would wobble at 70-75mph. Well, none of that is true anymore. The KLR650 has enough power. I also don't experience any wobble anymore.

Can you guys notice how the handle bar is lowered on the forks? I think that pretty much the reason why I was experiencing wobbling. It was lowered by the previous owner. So any little wind would cause me some wobble. I'm just glad it has been fixed.

This is how it is supposed to be. Plus I've been getting more comfortable and better with my bike that I won't get another bike like I said I would in 2017. I'm going to wait until 2019 when I'm 25 and my insurance premiums go down. The KLR650 can do everything I need just fine for now.

Great stuff that you got the wobble sorted out, I also had a KLR650 with a kickstarter way back and it was a beast. It had a decompression clutch to take some of the kick away when you jump on the kickstarter. Great bike and rock solid. You also get loads of add-ons

Holy shit yeah, that is massive. Surprised you were able to handle that thing at all. If the previous owner didn't touch the rear, I suspect it must handle a lot better now.

/edit: because eh, yeah, that was not the handlebars being lowered, that is the entire bike tipped forward. (Which wreaks havoc on a bike's handling if the rear isn't adjusted accordingly.)

Dougald

I saw a little pic of that earlier. Honestly, it doesn't really look like a GS to me, which is a shame. Looks more like a CG125 with a GS headlight bolted to it

I'll reserve judgement until I get to see one in the flesh though

FAAAARK!

Had to happen eventually. Left hooked by someone pulling across from the outside lane across the bus lane into a side road. Minimal damage (right indicator, left head cover) but still a right pain in the ass.

https://youtu.be/fqvYLBaOIbs

Bastard, that is not nice. Lucky you had the camera running if there are any dispute. Hope there are not that much cost to get it fixed. Its always a thing of do I pay myself and not have problems with my no-claims or just run it via the insurance company.

Hope the guy was insured... and fixing it goes nice a easy.

Oh a question, is that a chest mount for the gopro?

Top Bottom