• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Don't Use Imgur

Prince of Persia (2008) - anamorphic 1920x817, downsampled from 2880x1227 plus SMAA high. 60fps locked.

princeofpersia_launch8wqse.png

princeofpersia_launch8cost.png

Custom resolution and aspect ratio achieved with registry edit (21:9 = 235 ratio setting).

Shaneus

:D am I missing something? It says x1080 on my screen.
Nah, it was all me. The 21:9 posts threw my sense of resolution from the grabs in this thread completely out the window. Which doesn't make sense, because if a picture kinda fits in my browser window then it's probably the same res... but... yeah. I think I need sleep or food or brain cells or something.

Carry on.

This is my favorite map in the game. Such a beautiful city. Btw, LOVE the cockpit HUD. So cool.

(I haven't taken many screenshots, it is HARD to take screenshots in the heat of battle)

Screenshot145317.png

Screenshot133120.png

It may just be me, but your images are broken.
Yeah, forgot to make the folder public. Should be fixed. (Let me know if it isn't.)

I think I am the only person on earth that prefers 16:10 gaming. My monitor is 2560x1440 but I game with @ 1920 1200 1:1 in the middle of the screen because 16:10 is infinitely superior to 16:9, I blame HD marketing.

Verticality is good bro.

Hawken is waaay to grainy for my taste.
Annoying thing is that you used to be able to turn off the film grain in the closed beta, but for some reason the advanced video options aren't activated (though they're supposed to show up in a future patch).

I also want to turn off the in-game MLAA, which is one of the worst forms of post-AA ever conceived. Grumble, grumble.

Spazznid

Annoying thing is that you used to be able to turn off the film grain in the closed beta, but for some reason the advanced video options aren't activated (though they're supposed to show up in a future patch).

I also want to turn off the in-game MLAA, which is one of the worst forms of post-AA ever conceived. Grumble, grumble.

I believe I saw an ini file you could edit for that... but meh. I don't mind Grain to a point.

iA1EKaw5prp4E.png

ip8jLIh4lVwss.png

Xdrive05

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but seems relevant.

For gamers with 16:10 monitors, it may be worth it for you to create--as an OPTION--a custom 16:9 resolution that otherwise matches your monitor's native horizontal resolution. You can easily switch back and forth between your 16:10 and 16:9 native resolutions as needed. You will get the black bars on top and bottom, yes, but for the majority of games you gain a greater horizontal FOV in the trade. This is especially important for RTS, isometric and FPS/competative games that were designed for 16:9 explicitly... which is almost of them these days.

The only game I personally own that benefits from 16:10 is The Witcher 2, which actually gives you more FOV (vertical) than 16:9. But it's definitely the exception to the rule.

There's a website where you can look up games to see screenshot comparisons of how they handle different aspect ratios: http://www.wsgf.org/

Bust out your windows calculator to find your custom 16:9 resolution =

(# of Native Res Vertical Pixels) times (.9)

Okay, so for me this means:
1680x1050 --> 1680x945, because 1050 times .9 is 945.

On Nvidia you can force games to use the 16:9 ratio of your custom resolution:

Display --> Adjust desktop size and position (then scaling mode = either aspect ratio or no scaling) --> (check the box for) override the scaling mode set by games and programs

And then remember to change the resolution setting in-game to match your new custom 16:9 resolution.

I have found that for some games this process is necessary in order to keep the black bars, thus keep the non-stretched 16:9 ratio that we want. Namely, Max Payne 3 and Just Cause 2 just wouldn't go into non-stretched 16:9 for me until I checked that box. But for all of my other games I just needed to change the resolution in-game and voilà.

Again, for a LOT of games the trade off is worth it IMO, even on my lower-than-1080p monitor. And then when I'm done gaming I just switch the resolution back to my 16:10 setting in the control panel.

Hope this helps some folks. :)

BlackEyes

ok can someone explain how to make make custom 21:9 everytime i choose the custom res in game i get black bars, how can i stretch it fully? let's say the res is 3200x1800 i make it 3200x1362 and when i choose it in game i get black bars, can anyone help me? :O

c0Zm1c

ok can someone explain how to make make custom 21:9 everytime i choose the custom res in game i get black bars, how can i stretch it fully? let's say the res is 3200x1800 i make it 3200x1362 and when i choose it in game i get black bars, can anyone help me? :O
It's because the resolution ratio is mismatched with the screen ratio of your monitor. You can stretch it but then it would look like Mr. Gravity is getting his troll on. You would need a 21:9 monitor to do it properly without the black bars.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Such a shame Prime 3 engine based Prime games are botchy in Dolphin, as I'd love to play through the trilogy in HD without issues. Love the pointer controls and love the added bloom.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Reinstalled that recently as well, the texture pop in the higher up I went in resolution just gave me an aneurysm. I'm done with that mess of a game, and I say that with a broken heart.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Which Metroid is that?

I'm also super jealous of your guys playing at 21:9. Stupid VGA monitors :mad:

I don't think anyone here has a 21:9 monitor yet, people are playing on regular monitors but with black bars and as the case may be squished huds.

Top Bottom