• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Feb |OT| Rubio Early Favorite for Racist of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow, in the D'antoni system dictated by a pass-first point guard, the Phoenix Suns always seemed to have enough touches for all the players who needed to shoot, slash and drive, whether they were Marion or Barbosa or Joe Johnson or Amare or Diaw or whoever.

Somehow in the same system, a team consisting of the world's best players and the most ball-hogging/ball-dominant players on the planet, everyone got all the touches they needed and everyone flourished.

In a similarly fast-paced, ball-movement based offense implemented by George Karl and executed by a legitimate point guard, Melo and Smith seemed to have plenty of touches and everyone got their numbers called. They also won a ton of games, and even got to the WCF. They probably would've made it more than once if they didn't run into the dominant Spurs and Lakers out West.

...curiously, it's also never George Karl's fault for them not making it further into the postseason; it's always Melo. More curiously, the decade of malaise prior to Melo was erased from discussion; Melo gets no credit for his impact on that Nuggets team.

Anyway, I really don't think they're going to mess this up the way people arae hoping for. The Knicks may not win the championship this year, but they'll make the playoffs...and they'll probably win some games in the playoffs too.

I think that's exactly what people are saying. A tough second round exit after 5 or 6 games.

Mothman91

A Knicks vs Bulls/celtics/Heat matchup would be really fun to watch. But I wouldn't take a winner because I can see the Knicks beating those teams in 6 games, but also see the Knicks get swept easily. Depends how they "gel" before the playoffs start.

Bulls playoff defense would destroy the Knicks.

Yeah dude, that elite Bulls defense.

Christ, you make them sound like the 99 Spurs or something. The Bulls aint shit and you know it. Chandler+Shump against Rose=gg no re.

They are gonna take the Lin pick and roll in the ass like every other team. And they won't be able to do a damn thing about it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Just remember this Knicks-age.

Like when I told Lakers-age that their kingdom would burn. Jeremy Lin is a very, very good player. But don't compare a lockout season where teams have sat starters for entire halfs. For entire weeks and months to make sure they're ready for the playoffs. The second round will be just as intense as ever and there is no way that the Knicks routine of "pray for a miracle" will get them into anything but deeper shit as they realize that Lin is not Nash. He is Lin. You can't surround a new guy, no matter how good he is, with the kind of personalities and court presences of guys like these (with issues like theirs) and expect good things to happen. It'll break him. And the Knicks will lose in the 2nd round.

And Lin will come back next year and play well. But he'll still be broken. Because that's what happens to good point guards who get fucked into situations that they have no business being in. So once he's broken, it'll be the same thing over and over again. Just like Orlando with Jameer, but a lot less fun to talk about.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Bulls playoff defense would destroy the Knicks.

What? Bulls nearly lost to the Knicks a few weeks ago before Lin came to the line, with virtually no points from our Knick bench too. Dude, put the salt down. Wait for it all to happen and then make it rain "I told you so" on this bitch.

Hey, you know who's really underrated?

The Spurs.

They're on a NINE game winning streak, propelled by the now-healthy Manu and the venerable Tony Parker.

People are talking about OKC and Lob City out West, but we should pay really close, specific attention to the excellent Spurs. They've also been remarkably healthy this season outside of Manu!

DY_nasty

What? Bulls nearly lost to the Knicks a few weeks ago before Lin came to the line, with virtually no points from our Knick bench too. Dude, put the salt down. Wait for it all to happen and then make it rain "I told you so" on this bitch.

Regular season. Lockout season.

Once the 2nd round rolls around... quote me.

I love that the second round is the new goalpost for flameouts now, not "missing the playoffs" or "bounced out the first round".

Always new lengths to justify that sodium! Mind you, for a team that hadn't even had a winning record in TEN YEARS prior to last season, the second round would normally be applauded and be something to build on.

but meh, "lol knicks" is best knicks.

that's what im saying.

That only happens if they fizzle out land the 8th or 7th seed and face Miami in the first round.

Just looking at it, next season average western teams are going to get such huge win total boosts by simply playing more Eastern conference teams. Expect a .400 team to be the 8th seed out East next year and ~.560 being the minimum for a playoff spot in the west.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The only thing broken about Jameer Nelson is his old ass body. He used to be legitimately good but now a days he can barely stand on his two feet. I cringe whenever he ends up on the ground, dude should be wearing a LifeAlert or something.

And I can't believe some of you think the Knicks wouldn't be a better team with JR Smith. It's not exactly like they have surplus of good players coming off the bench right now.

diehard

Fleer
I love that the second round is the new goalpost for flameouts now, not "missing the playoffs" or "bounced out the first round".

Always new lengths to justify that sodium! Mind you, for a team that hadn't even had a winning record in TEN YEARS prior to last season, the second round would normally be applauded and be something to build on.

but meh, "lol knicks" is best knicks.

huh? 2nd round would be great.

I'm just not betting on them getting there.

DY just compared Jeremy Lin to Jameer fucking Nelson.

...must be on some good shit today.

And who is to say hes not a Steve Nash-calibur dude? He sure as hell looks like it. You don't just pull up for a clutch asshole 3 gamewinner and then get "broken" mentally cause a few guys want the ball too much.

No ones gonna applaud you for making the playoffs in the East dude.

Barrage

Hey, you know who's really underrated?

The Spurs.

They're on a NINE game winning streak, propelled by the now-healthy Manu and the venerable Tony Parker.

People are talking about OKC and Lob City out West, but we should pay really close, specific attention to the excellent Spurs. They've also been remarkably healthy this season outside of Manu!

I've been saying the Spurs are being slept on all season. People just look at them and say theyre old, when in reality:

-TP is having the 2nd best season of his career
-Old Duncan is equal to Hibbert
-they have numerous lower first round picks that have panned out into contributing roster players

AND Manu is coming back.

rage1973

The only thing broken about Jameer Nelson is his old ass body. He used to be legitimately good but now a days he can barely stand on his two feet. I cringe whenever he ends up on the ground, dude should be wearing a LifeAlert or something.

And I can't believe some of you think the Knicks wouldn't be a better team with JR Smith. It's not exactly like they have surplus of good players coming off the bench right now.
Between Fields and Shump they have enough depth at 2 guard and with Melo you don't need depth at the 3. JR is one of the biggest hoggers in the NBA and will stop any ball movement they have going. And don't forget that they go from decent and lockdown defense to 0 defense from JR.

DY_nasty

Jameer used to be a good point guard. Then SVG ruined him.

And JR is not what they need.

The Bulls were missing two starters and the Knicks were at home. The Knicks don't have a shot at beating a healthy Bulls team in a 7 game series.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Knicks fans, stop and read this sentence carefully:

"We are getting JR?! That's gonna put us over the top!!"

I urge you to take some time and think this through.

diehard

Fleer
Who says no:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7pzcogm

Jazz also get the Hawks and Lakers' first round picks. Lakers get to add some depth (Zaza is decent and Raja is shooting 41% from three) while keeping all their rotation players and their Odom TPE. Hawks get more scoring. Jazz clear some space for next year and get picks to try to move up in the 2012 draft.

Trade our only consistent offensive player and keep our starting scrub pg? sounds good to me!

Luke Walton... lol

good troll bro

Knicks fans, stop and read this sentence carefully:

"We are getting JR?! That's gonna put us over the top!!"

I urge you to take some time and think this through.

As soon as you can quote one user that said even something quasi-similar, I'll happily do so. I suppose you might hear some idiot radio/TV guy, or some bros on Facebook somewhere say something like that, though.

Branduil

Spurs' frontcourt is too crappy to make them a legit contender. I mean it's possible just because it's a lockout year and anything can happen, but any team where Matt Bonner still gets major rotation minutes is not a serious threat.

Trade our only consistent offensive player and keep our starting scrub pg? sounds good to me!

Luke Walton... lol

good troll bro

I enjoy Al's layup line defense and bad hookshots as much as anyone, but sometimes vets need to be moved to make minutes available for the two top 3 picks on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom