• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

DominoKid

I predict a Reggie Bullock future in Chicago. How can you pass up a guy who plays a position of need, has a better all-around game than the guy taken at 7 this year, and has your mascot as part of his last name?

Well its his team this year so i hope he blows up.
We need him and PJ to light it up.

charsace

Based on last year I'm not even sure if I'd sacrifice Trevor Ariza for him. He simply didn't look good. Much bigger role this year, we'll see what happens.

I would take McAdoo over Ariza any day. And yes, McAdoo is a tweener. He's smaller than a lot of the league's better 3's. Except he doesn't have the skills to play the 3 so he can only play the 4 spot right now.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
o7lY1.jpg

I would take McAdoo over Ariza any day. And yes, McAdoo is a tweener. He's smaller than a lot of the league's better 3's. Except he doesn't have the skills to play the 3 so he can only play the 4 spot right now.

McAdoo can't even see the floor in the NBA as he is right now. Ariza at least does all the things you want a hustle/defensive SF to do, rebounds, assists, gets in the lanes, good size and athleticism for the 3, etc.

Well its his team this year so i hope he blows up.
We need him and PJ to light it up.

I think they will. They both lit it up at the North Carolina Pro Amateur tournament this summer. Bullock dominated the championship game and Hairston dropped 49 in one game and was named the tourney MVP. UNC won't have much of a frontcourt this year, but their backcourt is going to rain buckets.

DY_nasty

McAdoo can't even see the floor in the NBA as he is right now. Ariza at least does all the things you want a hustle/defensive SF to do, rebounds, assists, gets in the lanes, good size and athleticism for the 3, etc.

Airza can't rebound, pass, slash, and he gets bodied by anyone that stands up to pee.

You should be pissed as a Wizards fan. Why all this hope shit? You picked up 3 of the most overrated players in the league - all of which replaced existing young talent - for the slight chance of masking Wall's deficiencies as a leader and point guard with a 8th seed in the playoffs?

Airza can't rebound, pass, slash, and he gets bodied by anyone that stands up to pee.

You should be pissed as a Wizards fan. Why all this hope shit? You picked up 3 of the most overrated players in the league - all of which replaced existing young talent - for the slight chance of masking Wall's deficiencies as a leader and point guard with a 8th seed in the playoffs?

Winning games and maybe attracting free agents in 2 years > Picking up a guy like McAdoo. Yeah I was pissed about the pickups, but there's a salary floor and picking a guy up in free agency was just going to net us 4 years at a high salary of someone slightly above average.

At least this way we win some games, get some more publicity and when Okafor and Ariza's contracts fall off maybe we're able to bring in guys like Cousins and Monroe via free agency. It's way better to have our current situation rather than tanking for guys of the caliber of the Morris Twins or Robin Lopez.

Wall isn't much of a leader but he's only going to get better this year.

Don't forget Nene either. In the 7 games he actually played starters minutes in the Wizards had the top defensive efficiency rating in the league. They'll definitely be top 10 this year, which should make them playoff contenders if their offense isn't too atrocious.

DY_nasty

Winning games and maybe attracting free agents in 2 years > Picking up a guy like McAdoo. Yeah I was pissed about the pickups, but there's a salary floor and picking a guy up in free agency was just going to net us 4 years at a high salary of someone slightly above average.

At least this way we win some games, get some more publicity and when Okafor and Ariza's contracts fall off maybe we're able to bring in guys like Cousins and Monroe via free agency. It's way better to have our current situation rather than tanking for guys of the caliber of the Morris Twins or Robin Lopez.

Wall isn't much of a leader but he's only going to get better this year.

Attracting free agents like who with what money?

You're going to have re-sign Wall. You're already paying Nene. Its a Bulls/D-Rose situation - except your entire roster is filled with middling at best players. Your team blew their load early.

Jeff-DSA

Nets apparently are working out Eddy Curry today.

Eddy is out there running around and stuff while the coaches are having a conversation.

"So why are we working Eddy out? Is there a chance he might have a shot at a contract?"
"No, we just thought that he could use a workout."

Attracting free agents like who with what money?

You're going to have re-sign Wall. You're already paying Nene. Its a Bulls/D-Rose situation - except your entire roster is filled with middling at best players. Your team blew their load early.

In 2015-16 we're going to have a salary of 28k without including a maxed Wall and INCLUDING a QO to Vesely (which I don't see us doing if he keeps up his current production). 23k without Ves. We'll have the financial flexibility if a guy wants to come over. Nene will be an expiring that year also.

The Bulls? Wall will get maxed as Rose did, but who else compares to the Bulls wasting money on a guy like Booz in a couple of years? Who's our guy making Deng Money? Where's our C making Joakim dollars?

Salary wise our team in a couple of seasons will be like the Bulls if they somehow got rid of Booz and Dengs salaries, with Joakim as an expiring and Hamilton still being on the team for 3 years on the cheap as a potential young All-Star (Beal).

The situations aren't close to being similar.

giri

what? McAdoo is almost a certain top 5..

Unless he blows next year.

And Cavs and Wizard would kill a fan to the NBA gods to get him..

Kings as well... Pistons... Few teams are set..

Plus he is kind of a tweener

Kings? Odd. They have one of the most promising PF's in years.

Don't forget Nene either. In the 7 games he actually played starters minutes in the Wizards had the top defensive efficiency rating in the league. They'll definitely be top 10 this year, which should make them playoff contenders if their offense isn't too atrocious.

LoL, NeNe.

I never understood the hype (if you can even call it that) around Nene.

Slightly above average big is slightly above average big.

I've always thought he's had Amare potential offensively. He'll never see it, but he really hurt teams nenesmilingpaumad.gif

He's just a stop gap here until we get Monroe to come back home to D.C and pick up any white girl he wants from Georgetown. The Bird Rights are nice but...goddam, it's Detroit.

Man...gotta believe there's a d-leaguer who hasn't gotten a fair shot or someone hidden away overseas somewhere that's better than paying Curry to be a cheerleader for your team.

h3ro

4SzvA.jpg

Patrick Ewing is readying for a comeback -- or at least his shoes are.

The former New York Knicks center is relaunching his shoe company, Ewing Athletics, later this week. "Over the years, I've had a lot of people ask me when they'd see me at appearances of when I was coaching, if I was ever bringing the shoes back," Ewing said Tuesday. "I just didn't feel comfortable doing it."

But after meeting Dave Goldberg, a Ewing shoe collector and investor, and talking the idea over with his longtime agent, David Falk, Ewing was convinced it was time.

The brand will hit retail stores in New York on Friday and subsequently roll out in 33 stores nationwide before hitting Europe for the holiday season.

ESPN Story link

EcEly.jpg

I've always thought he's had Amare potential offensively. He'll never see it, but he really hurt teams nenesmilingpaumad.gif

He's just a stop gap here until we get Monroe to come back home to D.C and pick up any white girl he wants from Georgetown. The Bird Rights are nice but...goddam, it's Detroit

Please explain your logic behind this idea. I'd rather handle this civilly than rip your joke of a franchise apart.

Lakers-age, important article on Time-Warner and Lakers channel

If the provider you use for TV in your household is Time Warner Cable, you're set – because that is the only cable or satellite distributor we know right now will have Lakers games.

If you have DirecTV, Dish Network, AT&T U-Verse, Verizon FiOS, Cox Cable, Charter Communications or anyone else, you could rightly feel antsy that you won't see on Oct. 1 TWC SportsNet launch day the exclusive footage already filmed of Howard's face as he put on a gold Lakers jersey for the first time in a quiet locker-room moment after all the hullaballoo of his inaugural news conference.

Or the Oct. 7 first game uniting Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Howard and Nash, as the exhibition opener is only on TWC SportsNet.

Or the Oct. 31 road opener in Portland, just the first of 70 regular-season Lakers games on TWC SportsNet.

Or ... you could rest assured that it's unfathomable that any cable or satellite provider would incur the long-term wrath of its customers by not delivering Lakers games – a sure sell even if this wasn't the season when Kobe's sixth NBA championship is closer than ever.

"We think it's good that the fans are concerned, because it shows how much they care about the Lakers," said Lakers spokesman John Black. "We would hope the fans have confidence in our new broadcast partner – as we do – that they will get the deals done and everyone enjoys what will be a better product than ever before."

The Lakers know how many fans are so fired up that they can't stand the prospect of missing a single Nash hairstyle or discovering whether Howard's second imitation (after he already debuted an excellent Kobe one) focuses on Gasol's oft-raised eyebrows or Mike Brown's frequently flashed teeth.

Big picture: These new networks will give Lakers fans a lot more access to that sort of stuff – and even just people talking about that sort of stuff.

There will be far more extensive pregame and postgame shows – especially compared to when the road games were on KCAL/9 – plus nightly Lakers news and features. There will be 24-hour programming with no infomercials. Some Galaxy soccer, Sparks women's basketball, CIF high school action and Mountain West football and basketball ... yet mostly a lot of Lakers, such as an entire reality series covering the recent Laker Girls tryouts or the specific moment of Nash being welcomed by Jeanie Buss in her office.

It's not exactly subtle, but here's the website that Time Warner Cable has set up for anyone seeking to inquire about getting these new networks: iwantmylakers.com.

As if the acquisitions of Howard and Nash weren't enough pressure, Time Warner Cable wants subscribers to prod their local providers to ante up the $3.95 monthly fee per subscriber, according to Sports Business Daily, to carry the two new channels.

Time Warner Cable does have its own bills to pay – specifically to the Lakers in the form of $4 billion over the next 20 years (or $5 billion if the option for five more years is exercised).

"Our commitment to the Lakers and their fans for the next 20 years is to deliver in-depth stories about the organization and its players while televising the games they can't miss," said Mark Shuken, senior vice president and general manager of TWC Sports Regional Networks.

Shuken, who described the company as "thrilled that the Lakers added Dwight Howard and Steve Nash," also referred to the upcoming season as "historic."

And, well, you'll just have to tune in to his networks to find out if that's any sort of overstatement.

Negotiations on "carriage deals" usually go down to the final days, so no one should panic with a month to go. It should be said that Time Warner Cable knows how dicey these negotiations can be from being on the other side, earlier this year costing Knicks fans much of Jeremy Lin's whirlwind emergence in a dispute with MSG and today still holding out as a distributor against NFL Network and missing Padres games all season on Fox Sports San Diego.

But the notion that Lakers games won't be on TV in Southern California is ludicrous.

This isn't 2002, when Cablevision completely underestimated the Yankees' new regional sports network and held out against it. YES Network has turned out to be a fantastic success for a simple reason: People in New York love the Yankees and love watching the Yankees.

Some things are simple and true.

Lakers fans love having Howard and Nash before they even play a game, for example.

And people in Southern California will love watching the Lakers on Time Warner Cable SportsNet, even if this is the first you've heard of the network's real name or you can't help starting to sweat those tricky carriage deals not yet being done.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-369863-cable-games.html

Also, wow, Lakers are getting $4 billion over 20 years. That's $200 million a season from TV alone. No wonder the Buss family is going all in on the team, not saving money

DominoKid

I think they will. They both lit it up at the North Carolina Pro Amateur tournament this summer. Bullock dominated the championship game and Hairston dropped 49 in one game and was named the tourney MVP. UNC won't have much of a frontcourt this year, but their backcourt is going to rain buckets.

I hope so. I hope we press the hell out of teams this year with our guards.
PJ's a bright talent, probably the most potential on the team but I have my doubts about his bball IQ/consistency in an organized setting.

So much depends on how Paige and James start off. If they hit the ground running, were gonna be a factor especially since this is a down year.
Either way though will definitely be a lot more fun than last season unless we flat out suck like 09/10

watching the '10 Finals games still. The officiating was notably shitty. the most ridiculous phantom calls seem to go against Boston. the worst example is an offensive foul on KG for three seconds in the key when the shotclock was at 20 and it took two seconds to even bring the ball past halfcourt.

SUPREME1

Banned
Lakers-age, important article on Time-Warner and Lakers channel

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-369863-cable-games.html

Also, wow, Lakers are getting $4 billion over 20 years. That's $200 million a season from TV alone. No wonder the Buss family is going all in on the team, not saving money

Thanks for the info Mamba. I've been waiting to hear about this. I've got Charter so I'm one of those who are still out in the cold.

I like how they played down the job KCAL did with their broadcast:

Free
High Definition (1080i)
All away games
1977 to 2012 (35 years, the NBA's longest consecutive station-team broadcast partnership ever)

Yeah, throwing in some pre-game and post-game filler is really going to make KCAL's run look like amateur hour.

/still bitter

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

He's just a stop gap here until we get Monroe to come back home to D.C and pick up any white girl he wants from Georgetown. The Bird Rights are nice but...goddam, it's Detroit.
First of all Greg is from Louisiana

Secondly Washington DC has no right trying to call another city shitty

giri

And before anyone says, oh yeah, well Arizona is fucked up!

Arizona IS fucked up and the stupid shit going on in that state has made me question whether i want to support the Suns several times.

Arizona IS fucked up and the stupid shit going on in that state has made me question whether i want to support the Suns several times.

we shoot up buses (and miss) with AKs here in Philly and no one gives a shit.

Bestest city or BESTEST City?

Miami Florida

Sunny place, shady people. I got robbed in broad daylight a few years ago.

Rick Scott is my governor.

Motherfuckers are eating homeless peoples faces.

Miami Dolphins.

Top Bottom