• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

epmode

I can't help but feel though this stuff is down to the individual.

Of course it is. However, I feel like some people are more in love with the idea that they can fuck with the lighting and camera settings than they are with the final result. Blurry, awful DoF, chromatic aberration, crushed blacks, etc.

I mean, it's pretty cool that we can remove the color grading from some games with the most extreme examples. But color grading is a big part of a game's visual design and mood and the same goes for film and television. I mean, what would Terminator 2 be without all of those blue night scenes?

The modded shots are fun but I just wish they had their own thread instead of taking over what originally started as a way to see a game the way the developer intended.

Wanny

Okay last sets testing shadows in New Vegas. Shadows still need work but it's a freaking good start. Boris got my total respect here. They're bullshots from 3200x2000 and totally unplayable on my single 670.

1iwrjz.png

2jcot7.png

Of course it is. However, I feel like some people are more in love with the idea that they can fuck with the lighting and camera settings than they are with the final result. Blurry, awful DoF, chromatic aberration, crushed blacks, etc.

I mean, it's pretty cool that we can remove the color grading from some games with the most extreme examples. But color grading is a big part of a game's visual design and mood and the same goes for film and television. I mean, what would Terminator 2 be without all of those blue night scenes?

The modded shots are fun but I just wish they had their own thread instead of taking over what originally started as a way to see a game the way the developer intended.

Thats just it though the subjectivity of the thing makes it a moot point. At the end of the day this is the High resolution PC screenshot thread and people are posting just that whether the DOF is all wrong or blacks are crushed, someone will say the opposite. We can all agree though chromatic aberration is awful...

I don't mind people using SweetFX or ENB (if used well), but most of the time I prefer to play my games with the original artistic vision in mind. Mostly because mods and tweaks usually give inconsistent results. Not sure if doing a seperate thread for that is a good idea. What I don't like is people complaining about me NOT using ENB (e.g. GTA4). I also prefer screenshots taken with playable framerates, but that was discussed a few weeks ago already I think...

You are kidding me right? The guy was fucking lambasted for it every single time.

Guess I checked out when I saw the likes of what was being posted in here. He posted that shit for ages. Made me sick every time I saw em.

I dunno, my view is, if the shots you've taken with Sweetfx don't stray away from the intended/original that much, and you consider them good, I don't see a problem. Not to sound like a douche, but art IS subjective, and what I may think looks great might not be what you or anyone else is into. The fact that someone nicely commented on my pics in a positive light (thank you btw spazznid) is evidence that we all feel differently about it.

If people aren't a fan of my pics or someone else's, hey you can't please everyone! Until a rule is made about sweetfx, whatever that rule may be, it'll continue. I barely post here anyways so I don't think I'll be shitting on anyone's doorstep with my pics.

I do agree a thread could be a good outlet for the sweetfx "movement" and to be honest, I'm quite surprised it hasn't been done already. We've got one for downsampling.

I don't mind people using SweetFX or ENB (if used well), but most of the time I prefer to play my games with the original artistic vision in mind. Mostly because mods and tweaks usually give inconsistent results.

Eh, if we kept the "original artistic vision" for Dark Souls, it'd still look like garbage.

Sethos

Banned
Guess I checked out when I saw the likes of what was being posted in here. He posted that shit for ages. Made me sick every time I saw em.

I dunno, my view is, if the shots you've taken with Sweetfx don't stray away from the intended/original that much, and you consider them good, I don't see a problem. Not to sound like a douche, but art IS subjective, and what I may think looks great might not be what you or anyone else is into. The fact that someone nicely commented on my pics in a positive light (thank you btw spazznid) is evidence that we all feel differently about it.

If people aren't a fan of my pics or someone else's, hey you can't please everyone! Until a rule is made about sweetfx, whatever that rule may be, it'll continue. I barely post here anyways so I don't think I'll be shitting on anyone's doorstep with my pics.

I do agree a thread could be a good outlet for the sweetfx "movement" and to be honest, I'm quite surprised it hasn't been done already. We've got one for downsampling.

And I say again, just to make it clear; my main concern is not how SweetFX effects the game nor do I have some sort of love relationship with the 'developer vision' of the game. People can SweetFX all they want but as mentioned, when people just ruin their screenshots and then ask for feedback on that tragic mess and turn it into a tweaking spree in this thread. Also the constant "Ohh share that", "Oh here's my settings *gigglez*".

Pains me more than anything to see someone take an otherwise beautiful game and just thrash it completely.

SweetFX can add a lot to a game if used correctly. However I don't want to witness the entire tweaking process and all that "omg share", "How did you do that" which is probably where we agree; there's grounds for a separate thread.

Jedi2016

Still there would need to be rules, for instance in the purist thread would it be OK to downsample or bump detail (if possible without mods) to where the game is unplayable?
Downsampling is fine, a lot of people actually play the games that way. But to the point where it's unplayable? That's where you draw the line, I think.. what you post should be representative of what the game actually looks like when you're playing it. We get enough bullshots from the industry, we don't need them in this thread.

epmode

For instance in the purist thread would it be OK to downsample or bump detail (if possible without mods) to where the game is unplayable?

I don't see a problem with that. Even if it's not playable now, it will be with a hardware upgrade. That's what PCs are all about!

Worrying about playable framerates just opens another can of worms.

Stein3x

I think it all comes down to likes/dislikes and opinions.I thought that this thread was all about the maximum quality you could achieve with a game either with the use of downsampling,mods,sweetfx,tweaking etc within the game's original look/feel. I agree with Serhos ,it's annoying people asking for settings etc when you can just message the author or have a different thread, it ruins the thread's purpose. But it is subjective when it comes down to a change in the look or feel of a game ,some like the original/changes, some don't.

vio

Okay last sets testing shadows in New Vegas. Shadows still need work but it's a freaking good start. Boris got my total respect here. They're bullshots from 3200x2000 and totally unplayable on my single 670.
]

That looks like 100 times better than vanila. Can you share the ENB file and config?

And I say again, just to make it clear; my main concern is not how SweetFX effects the game nor do I have some sort of love relationship with the 'developer vision' of the game. People can SweetFX all they want but as mentioned, when people just ruin their screenshots and then ask for feedback on that tragic mess and turn it into a tweaking spree in this thread. Also the constant "Ohh share that", "Oh here's my settings *gigglez*".

Pains me more than anything to see someone take an otherwise beautiful game and just thrash it completely.

SweetFX can add a lot to a game if used correctly. However I don't want to witness the entire tweaking process and all that "omg share", "How did you do that" which is probably where we agree; there's grounds for a separate thread.

Fair enough. A sweetfx thread could be a good idea. Guru3d has one and it has some interesting stuff in there.

Edit: Btw my last post wasn't aimed at you Sethos, I was just stating my opinion for the ones who aren't a fan of sweetfx in general, or peoples uses of it. I know your qualm is one of the feedback begging.

Wanny

That looks like 100 times better than vanila. Can you share the ENB file and config?

One day I'll release something for New Vegas and that day will be incredibly close if he improves the shadows a bit more but not for now. It's actually more enjoyable to mod New Vegas now than Fallout 3 since the shadows update.

Watevaman

pcars2013-02-1711-16-09sv4.png

pcars2013-02-1711-27-4ts8f.png

also, I might actually try getting into NV again if I can make it look similar to that. However, if it brings your 670 down I wonder what it'd do to my 570 even at 1920x1080

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
A SweetFX thread will most likely peter out like the Cinematic shots and people will still end up posting SweetFX/Modded shots in here. I don't think it's worth the effort and we can barely manage to keep people from posting compressed shots... handling additional rules causes like overload.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hooot, how'd you get rid of the hud`?

I got rid of MOST of the HUD by dumping the textures and replacing them with transparent empty textures. Some stuff is finicky and likes to stay (Mana bar, rupee counter) and I just edit those out.

It's sort of a huge pain in the ass, because the item textures aren't universal, and theres different ones for what seems like every location, so every place you want to take pictures,you need to create new transparent item textures.

Edit: Alternatively, if you go into first person the only hud element is the "return" and that can be universally turned off, but Links model disappears in first person, and some other stuff models are finicky.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I got rid of MOST of the HUD by dumping the textures and replacing them with transparent empty textures. Some stuff is finicky and likes to stay (Mana bar, rupee counter) and I just edit those out.

It's sort of a huge pain in the ass, because the item textures aren't universal, and theres different ones for what seems like every location, so every place you want to take pictures,you need to create new transparent item textures.

Edit: Alternatively, if you go into first person the only hud element is the "return" and that can be universally turned off, but Links model disappears in first person, and some other stuff models are finicky.

I see, thanks for the explanation - I don't think I'll bother with texture dumping and all that jazz. I don't even have photoshop to begin with. I was hoping for an on/off gameshark code but alas we can't have it all ;)

KyleN

Banned
As long as you use sweetfx right like Stein3x does, i dont mind it.

Stein3x is currently the screenshot king of this thread. Keep up the good work!

Stein3x

Why would you do this to yourself?

Stein3x and KyleN
sitting in a tree:
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
First comes love,
then comes marriage,
then comes baby
in a baby carriage

LOL guys!KyleN there are much better screen postrers than me and obviously i'm not a king, i just like to post impressive screens and panoramas every now and then :D .Glad you like them though.

For the A:Cm i just want to finish this thing before it goes to the recycle bin !.. forever

Top Bottom