• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Indianapolis 500 [OT] Thread blacked out in Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made one last year and it's a big enough event ... so eh, why not?

z5WVEZV.jpg

Important info
Date: Sunday, May 26, 2013
Time: Noon EDT (9 a.m. PDT, 4 p.m. UTC)
Length: 500 miles (200 laps)
Track length: 2.5 miles (4.023 km)
Defending winner: Dario Franchitti (Chip Ganassi Racing)
Forecast: Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers/storms after 2 p.m.; calm winds; high temperature, 67 F
Television: United States - ABC (tape delay until the evening in Indiana); International - check locally, but probably whoever does IndyCar coverage
Radio: Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network; Armed Forces Network; Sirius channel 212/XM channel 94
Pace car: This bitchin' 2014 Corvette Stingray:

Niiiiiice.

Starting Grid (left to right = inside to outside)

Code:
Row 1
Ed Carpenter (20)	Carlos Munoz (26)(R)	Marco Andretti (25)

Row 2
EJ Viso (5)	        AJ Allmendinger (2)(R)	Will Power (12)

Row 3
Ryan Hunter-Reay (1)	Helio Castroneves (3)	James Hinchcliffe (27)

Row 4
JR Hildebrand (4)	Alex Tagliani (98)	Tony Kanaan (11)

Row 5
Oriol Servia (22)	Justin Wilson (18)	Sebastien Bourdais (7)

Row 6
Scott Dixon (9)	        Dario Franchitti (10)	Takuma Sato (14)

Row 7
Charlie Kimball (83)	James Jakes (16)	Simon Pagenaud (77)

Row 8
Townsend Bell (60)	Ryan Briscoe (8)	Simona de Silvestro (78)

Row 9
Josef Newgarden (21)	Graham Rahal (15)	Sebastian Saavedra (6)

Row 10
Tristan Vautier (55)(R)	Ana Beatriz (18)	Pippa Mann (63)

Row 11
Conor Daly (41)(R)	Buddy Lazier (91)	Katherine Legge (81)

I haven't paid one bit of attention to anything going on this year. Recap?

Sure. We're four races into the season and it's been wacky.

04-21-Sato-Wins-Toyota-Grand-Prix-Of-Long-Beach-Std.jpg

Your points leader is Takuma Sato (#14). Not a single one of you said that'd happen so don't even say you saw it coming. Most folks didn't expect much to come from Sato joining perennial midfield team AJ Foyt Racing, but Sato's won once this year (Long Beach) and nearly won again at Sao Paulo, except he got out-Sato'd in the last corner by ...

201305051442529381754-p2.jpeg

James Hinchcliffe (#27), who also won the season opener at St. Petersburg to win his first race ever. The Mayor of Hinchtown is 4th in points, though, due to two 26th place finishes in Alabama and Long Beach. He's yet to win on an oval of any sort, though.

967818-will-power-loudon.jpg

Will Power (#12), on the other hand, is not having a wonderful time. His best finish is 5th, and he has three finishes of 16th or worse this year. It's very un-Power like, as he usually starts the season out by dominating the field and then runs into issues in the second half of the year, when he inevitably loses the championship he was almost a lock to win. An Indy win could do wonders for him, for once.

Who's on pole?

rpm_a_carpenter_gb3_400.jpg

That would be Ed Carpenter (#20), the stepson of Tony George (the former President and CEO of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the man half-responsible for the idiotic IRL-Champ Car split). He qualified with a speed of 228.762 mph (368.157 km/h), the fastest since 2006. It's been a bright spot in what has been an otherwise crappy start for the driver-owner.

Is Danica-

NO.

Who are the favorites?

Beyond Hinchcliffe, Power, and Sato (because you can never count him out until he's in the wall), there's a few notable names to mention:

Marco Andretti (#25)

Laugh all you want, but Marco and his teammates have been incredibly fast all weekend long. He's also had a good season, finishing no worse than 7th, which sits him second in points. He must still overcome the Andretti Curse (which got him in most notably 2006), but Marco starts 3rd. The lowest starting spot for an Andretti Autosport machine? Hinchcliff, who starts 9th. Speaking of teammates ...

Ryan Hunter-Reay (#1)

The defending series champ will start 7th, and an Indy win is one of the big things missing from his resume. Like Hinchcliffe, he has two big ugly finishes keeping him from being a little closer to the top of the points battle, but discounting him due to past Indy shortfalls is dangerous. Heck, discounting RHR at all is pretty dangerous.

Helio Castroneves (#3) and Dario Franchitti (#10)

Two three-time winners, both hoping to join the elite four-time-winners club with AJ Foyt, Al Unser Sr. and Rick Mears.

Castroneves - known for both his Dancing with the Stars win and the tax evasion case he went through (he was acquitted) - is a yearly contender because no matter how his season is going, he always, always does well at Indy. Considering he's third in points this season, I would say he might be quite a big threat to the rest of the field.

Franchitti - Ashley Judd's ex-husband and cousion of Paul di Resta - returns as the defending champion ... but it was his only win of 2013. Rumors are abound that he's considering retirement from IndyCar, and a fourth win would make for a pretty good storybook ending, right?

AJ Allmendinger (#2)

After his drug test failure last year in NASCAR, Dinger has returned to the IndyCar series with Penske Racing on a part-time basis. If he can provide The Captain with a win here, he just might stick around a little longer. So basically, he's driving with a job on the line.

Carlos Munoz (#26)

A wildcard, Munoz is a Colombian rookie from the Indy Lights series making his only start at Indy. He's with Andretti Autosport and he's been incredibly fast throughout the month of May; in fact, he's starting 2nd for the 500.

J.R. Hildebrand (#4)

Starting in 10th, he's got the speed and the motivation: two years ago, he crashed in the final corner while leading and Dan Wheldon drove past him to win the 500.

Scott Dixon (#9)

Always a bridesmaid at Indy, Dixon has had two runner-up finishes to Franchitti and has been in Dario's shadow since the Scotsman came over to Chip Ganassi Racing. This year might be the year that changes ... as long as the two Ganassi boys don't wreck each other going into Turn 1.

Note: For Monaco Grand Prix discussion before the Indy 500, head over to the F1-GAF thread. It'll be on NBC at 7:30 a.m. EST for those of you in the U.S.

Regular IndyCar discussion is over in the Other Motorsports thread in OT Community.

Lebron

Always nice to wake up to the cars going around the track practicing. I'm not going to the event though, speedway gets way too packed for my taste.

thefro

Good OT, but how can you not link to the video of Hinchcliffe passing Sato in the final corner after getting blocked 2x. Probably the best street course finish in the history of auto racing.

Really hope that Dario "The Ratings Killer" Franchitti and Scott "BORING" Dixon don't win in some cheap fuel mileage fashion. So many more interesting drivers than them.

Chevy really destroyed Honda in qualifying, so it will be interesting to see how they do over the full race.

Takuma Sato of Formula 1 "fame"?

LOL, how old is he?

36. Amazingly I don't think he's wrecked yet this year. Scared of AJ Foyt.

Sadly, I work that morning, and since it starts at 9 AM here, I'll have to miss it. I hope to be able to attend the 100th Indy 500 in 2016, but I'm not holding my breath.

Chris R

That pace car looks sexy outside of the 85 Ethanol crap on it. A Sato win would be so so nice but I don't think it is going to happen. A good finish by the dinger would be great too.

Just hoping Power/Dixon/Dario have mechanical issues :p

TylerD

Very nicely done NT90. I always get a kick out of this shot...

967818-will-power-loudon.jpg

IndyCar as a series may be struggling mightily (even with mostly great racing) but the Indy 500 can not be denied. Indeed, the greatest spectacle in Motorsport.

There is a slight inaccuracy in the OP. Here is the 2014 Stingray Pace Car

Very nicely done NT90. I always get a kick out of this shot...

IndyCar as a series may be struggling mightily (even with mostly great racing) but the Indy 500 can not be denied. Indeed, the greatest spectacle in Motorsport.

There is a slight inaccuracy in the OP. Here is the 2014 Stingray Pace Car

Thanks, Tyler. Will change the photo of the pace car.

Mush

If someone told me Takuma Sato was currently leading a racing series on points I don't think I could take them seriously.

Gonna be pulling for ma boy Scott as always, maybe it will finally be his year.

Lach

I can't believe there is none of the sports and motorsports channel is showing this here (Switzerland). Is there a stream somewhere?

Would be a nice thing to round of an awesome day. Arrested Development, Monaco Grand Prix and then Indy 500....

Dead Man

I can't believe there is none of the sports and motorsports channel is showing this here (Switzerland). Is there a stream somewhere?

Would be a nice thing to round of an awesome day. Arrested Development, Monaco Grand Prix and then Indy 500....

No free coverage here (Australia), it might be on cable. Still, with a start time of 0130 local I don't think I would have made it anyway. Hope it's a great race.

I don't know much about indy cars I always assumed (from what my dad told me like 15 years ago) that the main difference compared to F1 was : no electronics but flat bottom so much faster but less adapted to cornering ? Is this still true ? How does it hold today to all the super heavy rules that made F1 stall in terms of speed this last decade ?

thefro

ESPN has the international rights outside of Canada (Sportsnet) and Brazil (Band TV)

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...ontinues-with-49th-indianapolis-500-telecast/

ESPN International – In combination with ABC Television, the Indy 500 will be televised on ESPN’s International networks and syndication partners in 157 countries and territories to more than 196.7 million homes throughout the world. Countries include Africa, Australia, Canada, Central America, Europe, Japan, Middle East, New Zealand, Russia, South America and the United States. The Greatest Spectacle in Racing will also be broadcast live to over 800,000 servicemen and women and their families through American Forces Network.

Also, forecast looks good, rain should hold off until well after the rain is over.

I don't know much about indy cars I always assumed (from what my dad told me like 15 years ago) that the main difference compared to F1 was : no electronics but flat bottom so much faster but less adapted to cornering ? Is this still true ? How does it hold today to all the super heavy rules that made F1 stall in terms of speed this last decade ?

The F1 cars are the more advanced/expensive/faster on a road course but they're not built to run ovals at high speeds. The same car (with different wings, etc) runs on a street course/road course, oval in IndyCar. Right now the indy cars are spec in terms of chassis and there's two different engines (Honda and Chevrolet). F1 currently doesn't use turbochargers (changing to them in 2014), Indy brought it back last year.

15 years ago the old Champ cars were faster than F1 cars nearly everywhere because of the turbocharging and extra horsepower

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in terms of speeds with F1 going to 1.6L V6 turbos next year, and IndyCar making a commitment to increase speeds. Right now the F1 cars definitely make more HP, but that might be different next year.

The F1 cars are the more advanced/expensive/faster on a road course but they're not built to run ovals at high speeds. The same car (with different wings, etc) runs on a street course/road course, oval in IndyCar. Right now the indy cars are spec in terms of chassis and there's two different engines (Honda and Chevrolet). F1 currently doesn't use turbochargers (changing to them in 2014), Indy brought it back last year.

15 years ago the old Champ cars were faster than F1 cars nearly everywhere because of the turbocharging and extra horsepower

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in terms of speeds with F1 going to 1.6L V6 turbos next year, and IndyCar making a commitment to increase speeds. Right now the F1 cars definitely make more HP, but that might be different next year.

super interesting. Thanks for clearing it up.

Seanspeed

Banned
Pretty sure F1 cars were faster still. They didn't lack much in horsepower and had far superior aerodynamics.

No way to know for sure because they didn't run on any of the same tracks, though.

I don't believe an Indy (I just use that name to cover them all) car would have ever been faster than an F1 car around a circuit. Obviously those years where Indy cars had huge power when F1 was on grooved tires would have been pretty close, but I don't think it would have been enough. I think lighter, better aero, better brakes would have overcome the power deficit. F1 cars were no slouch then too. 3.0 liters, 800+ hp. I'd be close.

Anyway, who's everybody got???

I'm kind of feeling Marco.... crazy picking an Andretti, but I've just got a weird feeling.

Parch

Surprising first row. Pretty much meaningless at the 500 though.

Sportsnet had a nice piece about Hinchcliffe bringing Greg Moore's gloves along for qualifying. Moore never had a chance to race at Indy, so it was a nice gesture to show he wasn't forgotten.

Go Hinchcliffe.

I stepped away, how far behind is Sato right now?

EDIT: 27th. He has room to catch up, then again, I don't think he did a pit yet.

EDIT 2: He's up 3 into 24th.

TylerD

That was a nice job by Sato to not hit the wall. I imagine spinning at 200+ mph would be a pretty scary experience.

That was a nice job by Sato to not hit the wall. I imagine spinning at 200+ mph would be a pretty scary experience.

Yup. He's in 21st right now.

I've been wanting to see that guy win for years. He's the kind of guy that pushes himself to the limit. His machine is worse than those Chevys, but he gets passes because he's good at what he does, even if it is a little ballsy.

You don't see guys like him, all the guys up front are lucky to have such good machines.

EDIT: Up to 11th place, he has yet to pit though.
EDIT 2: Yep, just pitted and out at 22nd, lost a spot.

Im here now. TV does not do justice how fast these cars are going. You can get dizzy trying to follow them with your eyes. I want Will Power to win. Power of the Green Lanterns!

Rain is 60 miles away.

If we get a lot of green racing here, then it won't be an issue.

~250mi vs 60mi!
Who will win!?

Im here now. TV does not do justice how fast these cars are going. You can get dizzy trying to follow them with your eyes. I want Will Power to win. Power of the Green Lanterns!

Indeed. I live literally an ear shot from the track (I can hear them right now over my TV). Didn't go this year (obviously), but watching these things go round is nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom