• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Indianapolis 500 [OT] Thread blacked out in Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.
~250mi vs 60mi!
Who will win!?

Indeed. I live literally an ear shot from the track (I can hear them right now over my TV). Didn't go this year (obviously), but watching these things go round is nuts.

Well, the good news is the cars cover that 250 miles in much faster time than the rain is moving in. :) We should be good unless we have some extended periods of caution here.

Dave_6

I was reading an article on Racer.com last night and saw this pic:

Damn these cars looked so good back then. Here's another bigger one:

I am a fan of the current cars but I do miss the look of the early/mid 90s cars (plus the sound and power they made).

I am a fan of the current cars but I do miss the look of the early/mid 90s cars (plus the sound and power they made).

Indeed. Beautiful if you ask me.

linkboy

Congrats to Tony on finally winning.

Was hoping for a fantastic final four laps, thanks Dario.

Hate seeing races finish under caution.

TylerD

The after effects of an open bar wedding reception caught up with me and I think I dozed off around lap 160. Woke up to see TK dousing himself in milk. Awesome that he finally got one.

Entertaining race, and obviously a great result with Tony winning. The old guard guys (Helio, TK, Dario) don't have too many miles left in the tank, so it's nice to see them do well. Their popularity has carried the sport through some thin years, it'll be a drag when the go.

Dead Man

Missed the race, but I want to say that is one of the most beautiful open wheel racers I have seen in a while, certainly miles better looking than anything F1 has produced since the mid 90's. Simple and aggressive, I love it.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.

Oh yeah, that's when Indy Car was still fucking awesome!

94 Penske/Mercedes/Emerson Fittipaldi
12237311.jpg

Close to the end of the line time when they still had different chassis manufactures (like Penske, Lola, Raynard), different engine suppliers, good times. When it was still seen as a serious alternative to F1.

I pretty much stopped watching (Save for the 500 really) after Tony George forced the start of the whole cluster fuck split up of the series to make IRL.... Seriously, way to fuck over everyone.

You have both series competing with one another, teams/companies jumping ship between the two, engine/chassis manufactures leaving the series, standardization of all chassis/engines, both series start to do shitty, CART going bankrupt, only to have one buy the other and fucking merge back in to 1 series again....

Except now, it's lost pretty much everything that made it great. Now you're stuck with shitty generic cookie cutter cars, and a series that has little recognition anymore. All because Tony George wanted to make Indy Car more like NASCAR.

Sorry about the rant, or if some of you guys really enjoy the series. I just look at what the series is now, and what it used to be, and it pisses me off. I used to watch IndyCar along with F1 since like the mid 80s growing up, and then seeing IndyCar/CART/IRL implode....

Dave_6

Oh yeah, that's when Indy Car was still fucking awesome!

94 Penske/Mercedes/Emerson Fittipaldi
12237311.jpg

Close to the end of the line time when they still had different chassis manufactures (like Penske, Lola, Raynard), different engine suppliers, good times. When it was still seen as a serious alternative to F1.

I pretty much stopped watching (Save for the 500 really) after Tony George forced the start of the whole cluster fuck split up of the series to make IRL.... Seriously, way to fuck over everyone.

You have both series competing with one another, teams/companies jumping ship between the two, engine/chassis manufactures leaving the series, standardization of all chassis/engines, both series start to do shitty, CART going bankrupt, only to have one buy the other and fucking merge back in to 1 series again....

Except now, it's lost pretty much everything that made it great. Now you're stuck with shitty generic cookie cutter cars, and a series that has little recognition anymore. All because Tony George wanted to make Indy Car more like NASCAR.

Sorry about the rant, or if some of you guys really enjoy the series. I just look at what the series is now, and what it used to be, and it pisses me off. I used to watch IndyCar along with F1 since like the mid 80s growing up, and then seeing IndyCar/CART/IRL implode....

^Agreed, and that Penske is gorgeous. I spent almost two hours the other night looking at Google search images of these early/mid 90s cars. I watched the series a lot back then when I was younger as I loved the look of the cars and how fast they were. I even remember when Mansell came over from F1 and began winning in these cars.

Oh well, I have been following the series again since '11 when they began coming here to race at Barber. The races have been pretty good and at least they have gone back to turbocharged engines with more than one engine manufacturer. I keep hoping Ford will come back as well since they have gotten serious about there turbo'd V6s. This Indy 500 was pretty damn good and I'm very happy that TK finally won it!

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
^Agreed, and that Penske is gorgeous. I spent almost two hours the other night looking at Google search images of these early/mid 90s cars. I watched the series a lot back then when I was younger as I loved the look of the cars and how fast they were. I even remember when Mansell came over from F1 and began winning in these cars.

Oh well, I have been following the series again since '11 when they began coming here to race at Barber. The races have been pretty good and at least they have gone back to turbocharged engines with more than one engine manufacturer. I keep hoping Ford will come back as well since they have gotten serious about there turbo'd V6s. This Indy 500 was pretty damn good and I'm very happy that TK finally won it!

Oh absolutely, I remember when Nigel Mansell came over and started to stir up trouble! The early to mid 90s was when the series (for me anyway) was at the pinnacle. The cars were well designed, they looked beautiful, were fast, and sounded amazing. I distinctly remember the 94 Indy 500, when Mercedes replaced the engine in the Penske with one designed ONLY for that race. They had to modify the back end because it was huge. The car was untouchable.

I hope they can turn things around again. I doubt it will ever be as amazing as it was, but at least it's improving now which is good.

This was a 92 Penske (you can probably guess Penske was my favorite team at the time).
To show how highly regarded the series used to be, you can see who was testing for a possible switch over due to his situation in F1 at the time.
92-senna-phoenix.jpg

Yeah, Ayrton Senna!!
92-Senna-CART-test.jpg
Senna-Penske.jpg

Dave_6

I remember watching a very low quality video of that^ on Youtube a year or two ago. At the time I had no idea that he ever tested an Indycar. It would have been cool to see how quickly he would have adapted to the ovals. Only if :(

I've been watching old Cart videos all day since I'm sitting here at work with nothing to do. :)

EDIT: Where did the pic of Will Power in the OP come from? That's funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom