• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT5| Que Jara, Jara. Whatever Will Be, Will Be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-x.Red.x-

Today is going to be fun

I kinda of want NIG to win, so when ECU goes thur, we dont have to face ARG so early.

Oh man, its eliminations from now on :/

Vamos muchachos!

Haunted

What the hell...
10423661_326939994097523_4482103344479354481_n.jpg
Superstitious math never works out. I still remember this one:

1930 (first WC) to 1954 (German victory) = 24 years
1954 to 1974 = 20 years
1974 to 1990 = 16 years
1990 to 2002 = 12 years

24 - 20 - 16 - 12

We should've won in 2002. :(

Wurst

Is there a link to the tables with the odds of a team reaching the last 16? With the possible scenarios?
My english is apperantly not good enough to make an adequate google search for them

KHlover

Banned
smFlO6m.png

Loving our odds here. Fucking Bild-Zeitung writing of a "Zitter-Finale" against USA...lmao. Of the 256 possible results in this picture there's only where we definitely are out and two where we have to be lucky.

98.83% chance to definitely get through the group and 99.6% if we absolutely suck against USA and have to rely on our luck. The Bild-Zeitung is spreading panic...(let's hope no one defies the odds o_O)

Haunted

smFlO6m.png

Loving our odds here. Fucking Bild-Zeitung writing of a "Zitter-Finale" against USA...lmao. Of the 256 possible results in this picture there's only where we definitely are out and two where we have to be lucky.

98.83% chance to definitely get through the group and 99.6% if we absolutely suck against USA and have to rely on our luck. The Bild-Zeitung is spreading panic...(let's hope no one defies the odds o_O)
Your first mistake was reading Bild. :p

But yeah, it's looking good. And if we lose 3:0 against the US in such an important game, we probably don't deserve to advance anyway.

KHlover

Banned
Your first mistake was reading Bild. :p

But yeah, it's looking good. And if we lose 3:0 against the US in such an important game, we probably don't deserve to advance anyway.

Was hard to avoid two days ago in the hotel when every single retiree in the entire resort bought one. You're bound to see the first page :p

Yep, but I'd rather not be inevitely hit by beer cups tomorrow (God bless Public Viewing), so I'd rather hope we win or draw with Klose shooting the last goal :D

Can someone link me to gifs of the Italy red card and the Ivory Coast penalties?

My idiot friend is trying to say they were bad calls.

Weird, from this angle it looks like a penalty for Greece while I was certain it wasn't.

The way his foot hits the ground makes it look like he tripped over himself, but he was definitely impeded.

The first angle made me think it was a bad call as well.

LTWheels

My understanding is that all the south american sides are likely to be in the same side of the draw. This means that they will be knocking themselves out for 1 semi-final spot.

FuturusX

He bit another human, in front of billions of people on international TV.

I'm pretty sure we're tought in fucking kindergarten that biting is never ok.

Animals bite, not people.

The Suarez bite and the Song elbow (Cameroon) are very similar in nature. Both were premeditated attacks on opponents that can in no way be considered tackles or attempts to win the ball.

Should Song not have received a longer ban for his infringement? There was little to no outcry when Song committed his misconduct on the field of play. Mostly amusement.

The ban will be high ultimately, because it's 'weird' to bite someone. We don't understand it. It's in-human or seen a lowly cowardly. It's the kind of violence that makes us feel uncomfortable. The response is purely emotional and so will be his punishment.

FIFA's ban for spitting is 8 games I believe. So this will be in that territory, but probably more to avoid public and media backlash.

But it's interesting when you really deconstruct it. His action was never going to leave the player in any serious harm. He could have turned around and swung his elbow toward his cheek or eye socket in anger - a potentially life threatening / career ending action and received much less media response and a lighter ban.

Remember kids...if you want to hurt someone on the field of play punch, kick, eblow or disguise it as tackle. You'll do more damage and receive much less attention.

The whole thing is weird. From start to finish.

Haunted

Yep, but I'd rather not be inevitely hit by beer cups tomorrow (God bless Public Viewing), so I'd rather hope we win or draw with Klose shooting the last goal :D
Oh man, Klose scoring tomorrow and getting his 16th goal would be - excuse the generally overused word - epic.

The Suarez bite and the Song elbow (Cameroon) are very similar in nature. Both were premeditated attacks on opponents that can in no way be considered tackles or attempts to win the ball.

Should Song not have received a longer ban for his infringement? There was little to no outcry when Song committed his misconduct on the field of play. Mostly amusement.

The ban will be high ultimately, because it's 'weird' to bite someone. We don't understand it. It's in-human or seen a lowly cowardly. It's the kind of violence that makes us feel uncomfortable. The response is purely emotional and so will be his punishment.

FIFA's ban for spitting is 8 games I believe. So this will be in that territory, but probably more to avoid public and media backlash.

But it's interesting when you really deconstruct it. His action was never going to leave the player in any serious harm. He could have turned around and swung his elbow toward his cheek or eye socket in anger - a potentially life threatening / career ending action and received much less media response and a lighter ban.

Remember kids...if you want to hurt someone on the field of play punch, kick, eblow or disguise it as tackle. You'll do more damage and receive much less attention.

Its his 3rd fuken time doing it, his ban will be huge if FIFA acts they way they should. He needs to learn for once that he should never do it again. Such an amazing player, but so so dumb. And this time its getting worldwide media attention, this time he goofed way too hard

Wilbur

Banned
If Song elbows someone in the back three times, he might get more media coverage.

If Song repeatedly denies wrongdoing and blames others for his problems, he might get more media attention.

If Song was a good enough player so that it was unbelievable that someone so talented was acting so foolishly, he might get more media attention.

Talon

I'm looking forward to the indignant outrage from Uruguayan fans and team members when Suarez gets banned.

And by looking forward, I mean I'm not.

zruben

Banned

I think the thing that it's making the audience (myself included) to go bonkers with this it's the "grossness" of the attack.

I agree with you, an elbow or an ill-intentioned tackle are WAY worse attacks and can risk a player's career/life. But any of those attacks are "natural responses" to frustration or anger in a very physical game. Players are already tackling, or moving his arms to defend a position, it's easier to understand.

But there's nothing "natural" about a bite in a football game. It's an "unnecessary hassle" that implies that the player had to take the "extra mile" to hurt an opponent. And it's even more disturbing in this case because it's the third time that the player has done it.

SkylineRKR

Its a very weird thing indeed. From a damage standpoint, kicking someone in half is much worse than a bite. I rather get bitten than lay wasted for 9 months. Chiellini won't have much of a problem.

But in any case biting should be punished heavily, just as a clear attempt at breaking someones leg should. And in Suarez case its his third time on television already. He should face punishment, a long ban. And the nation and his teammates shouldn't support him, it makes them look like fools. The footage and proof is there. Its Suarez that fucked his own team and diminished their chances.

ahoyle77

Does anyone else wonder how many times Saurez has bitten someone in youth leagues or training, times when there werent 20 cameras around to catch everything. Certainly the only 3 times he has done this wasn't the 3 times he happened to be caught. I wish some guy would show up that played with him at 10 years old would talk about the crazy kid running around biting people.

SkylineRKR

Does anyone else wonder how many times Saurez has bitten someone in youth leagues or training, times when there werent 20 cameras around to catch everything. Certainly the only 3 times he has done this wasn't the 3 times he happened to be caught. I wish some guy would show up that played with him at 10 years old would talk about the crazy kid running around biting people.

They can lie now and get a cover story of some sorts. We'll never know. Kids do strange things anyway. Suarez played for us when he was 19. He didn't do anything like that ever. And I don't think his club before that, Nacional, has ever reported such a thing.

Not biting but this was interesting (written before yesterdays incident) lol

"If someone breathes on him near the goal, he falls down like he's been knifed. He has bitten an opponent. Twice. And, back in his childhood in Uruguay, there's an oft-reported incident that serves as explanation, or maybe proof, that he is, in fact, batshit crazy. When Suarez was 15, overcome with anger, he headbutted a referee and received a red card in a youth match, making the man's nose bleed "like a cow," as a witness said."

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...nner-luis-suarez-soccer-most-beautiful-player

lol

CTLance

The pics that make you laugh thread is starting to accumulate Suarez pics. Seeing as how this here page is already getting close to 100MB of assets I'll refrain from embedding 'em.

Guy needs therapy, not bans. Well, a sizeable ban is kinda necessary since he's a repeat offender and his fouls are particularly unprofessional, but it's mainly to give him enough time to get a shrink to look at his anger issues. It's not like biting is the only thing he's known for, if my quick trip around google is to be believed.

Addi

Probable line up for France tonight according to L'équipe:

Lloris
Sagna - Koscielny - Sakho - Digne
Pogba - Schneiderlin - Matuidi
Sissoko - Benzema - Griezmann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom