• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Game of the Year Media Picks Thread

LevelUp's goty is Bayonetta 2

Gamereactor Sweden's goty is Alien: Isolation

Slant Magazine's goty is Persona Q

Digital Spy's goty is Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

Metro GameCentral's goty is Mario Kart 8

Spaziogames' goty is Dragon Age: Inquisition

Game of the Year is always biased towards recent releases.

Actually, going by the archives in the OP, there have been plenty of goty winners that were available during the first half of their respective year. For example, GTA IV (Apr 2008), Mass Effect 2 (Jan 2010), The Last of Us (Jun 2013).

Telegraph's goty is Alien: Isolation
Creative Assembly has taken the route we have long-waited for in a video game adaptation of Alien: make the xenomorph the horrifying, near-invincible star. The starship lights flicker and strobes, casting long shadows in terrifying shapes. And most of the time you are unarmed and completely helpless against the alien stalking you from the air vents. Survival-horror in the most literal sense.

The Escapist's goty is Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gamesbeat's goty is Dragon Age: Inquisition
For its many compelling moments, its depth of choice and consequence, its welcome and colorful personalities, and its willingness to let you experience a fantastical world on the brink of calamity on your own terms, Dragon Age: Inquisition is the GamesBeat 2014 Game of the Year.

Gamereactor Denmark's goty is Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Corgi

Banned
its crazy with how many GOTY's dragon age got, it got completely shut down from making top 10 for giantbomb.

tcrunch

Just got my Bayo2 in yesterday, never played the first one so I'll have to start with that, don't let me down you 1 media outlet + 500 rapturous GAFs.

DAI is my goty so glad to see the stars are sorta aligned.

Dragon Age and Destiny winning GOTY awards.

People must love useless fetchquests.

Yup, honestly you are quite right. I just bought dragon age and have been playing it the last couple days. There's some fun moments, but the quest structure, map system, among other issues leave a lot to be desired. Something just feels off with this game.

Zero Punctuation:

Top 5:
1.Shadow of Mordor
2.Wolfenstein: The New Order
3.Alien Isolation
4.Dark Souls 2
5.Shovel Knight

Bottom 5:
1.Thief
2.Sonic Boom
3.Amazing Spider Man 2
4.FF-XIII Lightning Returns
5.Sacred 3

Cheat Code Central (regarding Destiny)

Those who’ve actually spent some real time with this groundbreaking title will find it hard to remain skeptical regarding its revolutionary importance. It doesn’t so much try to reinvent the wheel of the shooter genre, but rather makes for a more individualized experience amongst players. The level of customization and integration of special powers ensures that no encounters are ever the same, with each user able to find their own identity.

black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

Corgi

Banned
I'm still surprised dragon age won so many goty's.

For a game that came out REALLY late and is 60+ hours long on the short end usually means few people on staff has finished it.

Wish more sites did Giantbomb style GOTY deliberation podcasts.

Mr. Tibbs

Joystiq picked Shadow of Mordor as their GOTY.

Shadow of Mordor is easily distilled as "a mix of Arkham and Assassin's Creed," but it is far more than the sum of its parts. It draws inspiration from only the best aspects of its predecessors, offering free-range parkour and approachable one-man battles against endless onslaughts of enemies, and then it adds something completely new – the Nemesis System – behind Talion's every action. It's a smart game as well as a gruesome one, and it represents true, refreshing innovation in the newest generation.

Shadow of Mordor is the first of its kind – and it's also our No. 1 game of 2014.

I wish people would get over the, "Only AAA shooters/RPGs can be Game of the Year mentality." It's the equivalent of the, "You have a food I don't like in your lunch so I can't be friends with you" mentality that my 6 year old sister has.

Glad to see a lot of diversity. Dragon Age earned its spot. I wish Hearthstone would have won more, but... you know. :p

XboxAchievements/PlayStationTrophies - Alien Isolation

We've waited years for a game like this and finally it arrived. Alien: Isolation is the anti-Colonial Marines; a reverently crafted, utterly uncomprimising, challenging, thrilling, terrifying, beautiful survival horror game. We're still kinda suprised Creative Assembly got the game greenlit, let alone managed to make it brilliant. The studio had a vision and realised it in a hugely impressive manner. The first ever winner of our newly-democratised GotY award, Alien: Isolation won by a landslide.

Agreed. No one gave Sunset Overdrive an award for Game of the Year.
If it means anything, r/xboxone gave it game of the year.

I personally prefer Forza Horizon 2 as GoTY.
Im about 3/4 of the way through Dragon Age Inquisition. And I love it. I haven't played Far Cry 4, I own it though, but some vids look really fun.

Game4life

Banned
Agreed. No one gave Sunset Overdrive an award for Game of the Year.

Maybe because they did not like it. It is not like it received universal acclaim or anything. Received decent reviews just like many other titles out there. I certainly did not think it was anything special from what I played.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
duly won.

For it to rightfully win it would have to have been more than a shallow skinner box with production values.
While I do agree on your valuation of the game (completely), I think, considering how many people even on a dedicated forum like NeoGAF disagreed on the "replacing difficulty with busy-work is shitty" thread, it probably is what this industry deserves...

Top Bottom