• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: 2014 GSL Global Championship – StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

SamuraiX-

ibnVvbTWnxMrvu.jpg

The GSL Global Championship is a new tournament organized by GOM eXP. A WCS global event, the Global Championship will feature the WCS Season 1 finalists from America, Europe and Korea along with two additional participants from online qualifiers and a group stage competing for WCS points and an augmented prize pool.

Format

• Group Stage 1 (Online)
    - Two round robin format groups consisting of five players each from the online qualifiers.
    - First place players from each group advance to Group Stage 2.
    - Best of 3 matches.
  • Group Stage 2 (Offline)
    - Two dual tournament format groups consisting of four players each.
    - Top 2 players from each group advance to Playoffs.
    - Best of 3 matches.
  • Playoffs (Offline)
    - Single-elimination bracket consisting of four players.
    - Quarterfinals and Semifinals are Best of 5.
    - Grand Final is Best of 7.
Prize Pool

$10,000 (+$8,500) and 1,800 WCS Points will be distributed among players as follows:

• ibyiYRrSeC6v05.png
    1st Place - $4,000 (+$3,400) + 300 WCS Points
  • i0VwyHqeVdrEQ.png
    2nd Place - $2,000 (+$1,700) + 200 WCS Points
  • ibulctIZcnpWXu.png
    3rd/4th Place - $1,000 (+$850) + 150 WCS Points
  • 5th - 8th Place - $500 (+$425) + 100 WCS Points
  • 9th - 16th Place - $0 + 75 WCS Points
10% of every GSL Yearly Ticket purchase contributed to the extra $8,500 added to the base prize pool.

Participants

ibxXDCF7EdZMYS.png

* MC and HyuN are competing at DreamHack Bucharest and will be replaced by San and Revival.

iREDLWaXFZ4y0.png

NOTE: Only the matches indicated by red arrows will be broadcasted.

Results

Schedule

• Group Stage 1
    - Group A: Saturday, April 19 – 13:00 KST | 06:00 CET | 21:00 PST (Friday)
    - Group B: Sunday, April 20 – 13:00 KST | 06:00 CET | 21:00 PST (Saturday)
  • Group Stage 2
    - Group A: Thursday, April 24 – 18:00 KST | 10:00 CET | 01:00 PST
    - Group B: Thursday, April 24 – 18:00 KST | 10:00 CET | 01:00 PST
  • Playoffs
    - Semifinals: Friday, April 25 – 18:00 KST | 10:00 CET | 01:00 PST
    - Grand Final: Saturday, April 26 – 18:00 KST | 10:00 CET | 01:00 PST
Streams

Subscribed. Excited to see MMA, Flash, DongRaeGu. Slogging through all the Code A matches lately has been a bit of a chore, need big tournament excitement.

Syf

Banned
Can't wait for this, the lineup is awesome. Gonna have to watch the VODs for this weekend's games though, parents visiting..

This tournament is online :/. That fucking blows. The fact that the english stream is on a big delay is silly as well. Man i was expecting so much more from this tournament really.

SamuraiX-

I feel like this format means there will be a ton of dead rubber games.

That's pretty much the downside of round robin.

But like you said, at least it's not Bo1!

This tournament is online :/. That fucking blows. The fact that the english stream is on a big delay is silly as well. Man i was expecting so much more from this tournament really.

Only the first group stage is online. The second group stage and playoff stage are in studio.

Hacks control has been beautiful. I really liked in game 2 how he kept baiting out charges and then flanking from the side when the zealots were just walking. A well controlled bio army is just SC2 at it's best, really makes you wonder how a human even does it lol.

That's pretty much the downside of round robin.

But like you said, at least it's not Bo1!

But usually in a round robin it isn't only 1 person going through out of 5. So normally only a couple of games are dead rubbers, with this format we could end up with tons of them.

Only the first group stage is online. The second group stage and playoff stage are in studio.

That's definitely cool but still a little disappointing. A tournament like this will never produce the same hype as a well developed live tournament. I think they're going to be very disappointed with the viewership they get.

Don't get me wrong i'll watch the whole thing, the line-up is amazing but it's a missed opportunity imo.

Edit: Oh and they don't even broadcast games like parting vs fantasy, what a joke. Then we have players pulling out like MC and Hyun and now roro has forfeited. Im not sure i will bother with this.

Hacks control has been beautiful. I really liked in game 2 how he kept baiting out charges and then flanking from the side when the zealots were just walking. A well controlled bio army is just SC2 at it's best, really makes you wonder how a human even does it lol.

But usually in a round robin it isn't only 1 person going through out of 5. So normally only a couple of games are dead rubbers, with this format we could end up with tons of them.

That's definitely cool but still a little disappointing. A tournament like this will never produce the same hype as a well developed live tournament. I think they're going to be very disappointed with the viewership they get.

Don't get me wrong i'll watch the whole thing, the line-up is amazing but it's a missed opportunity imo.

Edit: Oh and they don't even broadcast games like parting vs fantasy, what a joke. Then we have players pulling out like MC and Hyun and now roro has forfeited. Im not sure i will bother with this.

You can't blame them, not much money in this tourney.

SamuraiX-

Yep. Here's that situation. Three matches left and 3/5 players are already eliminated.

PartinG basically just needs to take one map off Squirtle and he advances.

It's just such a crappy tournament really. For me it's basically got as much hype as any of the random online Korean qualifers which are just stacked with Korean talent. The one thing this tournament has going for it is the players on display but frankly we get tons of chances to watch the top talent play. That alone isn't enough to make a good tournament.

I have tuned in a bit because i'm a die hard fan but it would be hard to make this tournament any less appealing to casual viewers than they ended up doing.

You can't blame them, not much money in this tourney.

I would have made the same decision. Dreamhack would just be an amazing experience as a player (or fan really) and it's a chance to do some traveling. Seems much more appealing than this tournament really. They probably have much, much more chance at dreamhack as well.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Bit shit of Roros management / kespa / whomever was in charge, for not letting GOM know earlier.

understandable if they only worked it out in the last day or two. but still.

Syf

Banned
Dang, DRG finished #2. Kinda does suck only letting 1/5 players through to the next stage. Ah well.

Syf

Banned
Can't watch again, really want to see that Flash vs Maru game though. Hope one of those two takes the group.

It's like Impact has never seen a Reaper opening before. He uses Lings to defend until Queens spawn but then stops using the Lings to chase them away. First game the Queen died because he was chasing Reapers off of creep, the second game it lived but it was so low on life it got easily sniped later.

SamuraiX-

Looks like they're broadcasting all of the Group B matches tonight since RorO dropped out and there's only six matches.

Flash vs Action!

SamuraiX-

Fantastic hold by Flash in Game 2. That awkward wall of his actually worked out for him. All the Banelings just funneled through the gap.

Holy shit at that targeting on those banes O.O. I didn't even think they were in range of the units yet, sick play from flash right there.

Fantastic hold by Flash in Game 2. That awkward wall of his actually worked out for him. All the Banelings just funneled through the gap.

Most terrans would have died there. Flash was absolutely perfect at targeting those banes down.

Aaron

I thought for sure he was about to lose a ton SCVs with that second wave of banelings, but he popped them right before they exploding on anything but supply depots.

SamuraiX-

I'm so envious of how godlike Flash and Maru look in the TvZ match up.

Wish I could replicate even 10% of that control and multitasking. ;_;

I thought for sure he was about to lose a ton SCVs with that second wave of banelings, but he popped them right before they exploding on anything but supply depots.

Haha i was thinking the same thing. I thought it would be the standard game where the scv's get popped heading out to repair and then BAM he just targets them down. Even one tiny misclick and he loses the game there.

Action's baneling control was awful. He should have just exploded the Banelings on the bunker since they were going to easily get sniped funneling through that hole and then he should have easily gotten 10+ SCV's with the drive by on the 3rd but didn't detonate his Banelings.

Next match is ZvZ so I'm gonna skip and wait for Maru vs Flash.

Action's baneling control was awful. He should have just exploded the Banelings on the bunker since they were going to easily get sniped funneling through that hole and then he should have easily gotten 10+ SCV's with the drive by on the 3rd but didn't detonate his Banelings.

You're right the second time he should have got those scv's but he was dead at that point anyway. He way over committed to that runby.

SamuraiX-

Definitely not Impact's day. I'm actually upset because he denied Seed and Sora a spot in this tournament. Those two would've provided much more enjoyable games.

Flash vs Maru next!!

Winner of this TvT pretty much advances.

I'd say that has more to do with the map than the matchup. Really if anything there is more happening early game in ZvZ than any other matchup unless someone cheeses.

Yeah, I just found it hilarious that Artosis just started talking about how ripped Zest was all of a sudden. Although I would argue that in terms of mirror matches, PvP probably has the most potential in mixing up openings between the two players.

kasane

Definitely not Impact's day. I'm actually upset because he denied Seed and Sora a spot in this tournament. Those two would've provided much more enjoyable games.

Flash vs Maru next!!

Winner of this TvT pretty much advances.

Yeah, I just found it hilarious that Artosis just started talking about how ripped Zest was all of a sudden. Although I would argue that in terms of mirror matches, PvP probably has the most potential in mixing up openings between the two players.

gotta tune in!

SamuraiX-

Flash not finding that island base was inexcusable. He was literally right there.

Shame it didn't go to a full 3 games.

Congrats Maru. R.I.P. Action.

4 Protoss, 2 Terran and 2 Zerg in the second group stage.

Fantastic. -___-

My wife would pay serious money to be able to muss player's hair before the matches through the Internets. "Just get a comb and some gel." I think esports is missing out on a serious revenue generator here.

Top Bottom