• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Unreal

watch_dogs289kyz.jpg

watch_dogspik0d.jpg

Watch Dogs at max on PC doesn't look as good as infamous on PS4. I don't care about what it's doing technically. It doesn't compare. Those 'high' settings shots look fucking disgraceful. And the max settings at crazy downsampled resolutions still don't look great.

R8TEDM3

Those Watch Dogs screens are definitely not running at 5K. There's a fair amount of aliasing in them.

Just because there are AA issues in the game, doesn't mean they were not taken at 5k res! I played 2-3 other games at 8k and they still had decent amount of aliasing in them.

Also, next time plz be more constructive when you call someone out like that!!!

Not that i have to prove anything to you or anyone else, but for the peace of mind here you can check it out yourself. These were not resized, and i apolgize for that, but you can right click, save and check the properties!

14283641563_6895c393a7_o.jpg

I choose this pic just because it was very easy to see AA is not working properly even at this high of a res, and while AA was set to MSAAx4!

14261334652_4edd59b5d1_o.jpg

Watch Dogs at max on PC doesn't look as good as infamous on PS4. I don't care about what it's doing technically. It doesn't compare. Those 'high' settings shots look fucking disgraceful. And the max settings at crazy downsampled resolutions still don't look great.

Completely agree with you. Infamous on 1080p was so sharp and, i really wish other devs would implement their method of SMAA T2x.

BONKERS

Just because there are AA issues in the game, doesn't mean they were not taken at 5k res! I played 2-3 other games at 8k and they still had decent amount of aliasing in them.

Not that i have to prove anything to you or anyone else, but for the peace of mind here you can check it out yourself. These were not resized, and i apolgize for that, but you can right click, save and check the properties!

I choose this pic just because it was very easy to see AA is not working properly even at this high of a res, and while AA was set to MSAAx4!

Completely agree with you. Infamous on 1080p was so sharp and, i really wish other devs would implement their method of SMAA T2x.

Welcome to modern MSAA!

I don't know why they even freakin bother. Are they that dense? There's no way anyone could possibly think decent MSAA quality would be performant, or worth any effort considering MSAA is *Not* enough for AA these days.

You should *Really* be downsampling with 4xTXAA. There is literally going to be 0 significant blur when downsampling and clearly it's going to handle everything better than that crap MSAA.

(Also I mentioned earlier that people should try enhancing the TXAA/MSAA with SGSSAA as well. That+downsampling just for screenshots would probably look fabulous)

High is not ultra (Clear distinction. High is near equivalent of PS4). Also: welcome to world of opinions. There are a lot of aspects in WD I think that look far better than Infamous.

Also: WD had to be cross developed for over 6 platforms in mind. Of course it's not going to look the best in every area. Unless they really put true effort. The PC version in the core aspects is just going to be a spruced up version of the nearest LCD.

Even then, it's still worth it IMO.

Redmoon

In alot of way it does look as good. The best being right after a rainstorm. Not using max AA, so you'll still see some.

The biggest bland with the game is plain daytime with nothing else and some textures.

Timu for some reason all your Watch_dogs screenshots look better than others because your textures looks better in the distance. I tried the game at maximum settings but even on ultra my distant textures look bland like others, how if just bilinear filter was applied instead aniso x16.

Are you using any SweetFX sharping filter? custom .xml settings?

Okay, so you are using 5K. My mistake, sorry mate. What method are you using to downsample your screenshots?

Timu

Timu for some reason all your Watch_dogs screenshots look better than others because your textures looks better in the distance. I tried the game at maximum settings but even on ultra my distant textures look bland like others, how if just bilinear filter was applied instead aniso x16.

Are you using any SweetFX sharping filter? custom .xml settings?
Thanks, and I tried SweetFX and that didn't work at all, only customized the no hud thing when it comes to .xml settings though. I only altered AF in Nvidia Control Panel.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Yeah, the game is locked to 2560x resolutions. GeDoSaTo doesn't work either.
Thanks for confirming that. Changing desktop resolution is a no-go, as well.

5120x2880>>>2560x1440, MSAAx4
This game is an absolute Vram monster even on quad Titans! Although i will have to say that for a launch Ubi game, it's running really good with latest beta drivers from Nvidia 337.81

My specs are:

4770k @ 4.8
Quad Titans stock
16 gigs of ram

14075582448_41c60c2574_o.jpg

14282389503_7e185dc1d1_o.jpg
Nice monster rig, how much vram is the game using up? Wolfenstein TNO is another ram hog.

ICPEE

This game is an absolute Vram monster even on quad Titans! Although i will have to say that for a launch Ubi game, it's running really good with latest beta drivers from Nvidia 337.81

My specs are:

4770k @ 4.8
Quad Titans stock
16 gigs of ram
attachment.php

Faith

I thought VRAM of SLI systems don't add up? You only got 6GB VRAM in that case?

Wanny

Agreed. I played Infamous and it was so impressive. Watch dogs fails to impress. Daytime is absolutely off.

GavinUK86

Infamous looks amazing in the foreground but is pretty awful at distance hence why most shots is using a heavy dof effect so you can't see it. It's uses pretty poor AF. Watch Dogs fairs a little bit better at a distance due to being able to force 16x, still not great, but better. Saying it doesn't compare isn't exactly true.

R8TEDM3

Okay, so you are using 5K. My mistake, sorry mate. What method are you using to downsample your screenshots?

No worries, i'm just resizing them down to 2560x1440 via "FastStone Image Viever" also i don't use any sharpening filters!

Thanks for confirming that. Changing desktop resolution is a no-go, as well.

Nice monster rig, how much vram is the game using up? Wolfenstein TNO is another ram hog.

With MSAA4x it's almost using all available 6 gig's at 5120x2880. And if i select MSAA8x it's way over, and i have to restart the PC manually, as the game becomes so laggy!

DinHerio

Banned
Started to play through Mass Effect once again. I need to learn French ASAP and video games are the best way to do it *sigh*. Used texture mods and GeDoSaTo. Man this game looks still quite good with a clean IQ and some sharp textures (for Garrus).

Code:
[IMG]http://i5.minus.com/iHE43F6mETigR.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i7.minus.com/iligxJWJlfOpO.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i5.minus.com/i5CkHKQU1QnzX.png[/IMG]

Top Bottom