• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

15433078753_e758b6ce61_o.png

15433077533_db36386475_o.png

needs moar AA

merrickxx

Neo Member
Man, I already own GZ on PS4 but fuck, these 4k shots are convincing me to double dip just to see it at that fidelity on my PC.

4k? Pushing pretty much 5.5k and still running at like 12 - 24 frames per second, so you can pretty much play in real time and take screen shots, rather than hotsample or such.

merrickxx

Neo Member
Also, my shot doesn't have it, but inject SMAA. It will make a difference. This game has some bad aliasing.

Also, the light flare effects, combined with this map's skybox/sky/weather or whichever, produces a TON of banding. I'm tempted to smooth it out in photoshop.

Also, the light flare effects, combined with this map's skybox/sky/weather or whichever, produces a TON of banding. I'm tempted to smooth it out in photoshop.

The banding is some of the worst I've ever seen. It's absolutely horrid.

Also, freezing time in this game also freezes rain drops.

16029415406_a4435f18b1_o.jpg

Unfortunately there was a raindrop near his nose there :p

So that's camera + fov + timestop. Bed time for now.

maneil99

The banding is some of the worst I've ever seen. It's absolutely horrid.

Also, freezing time in this game also freezes rain drops.

16029415406_a4435f18b1_o.jpg

How did you do that?

merrickxx

Neo Member

I usually reserve content aware, healing brushes, and additive touch-ups strictly for rogue UI elements, but might as well do it here while we're just mucking about. There was a huuuge glob of water right in front of his mouth too, and look at the bottom right corner of your image, lol. An obvious one.

I usually reserve content aware, healing brushes, and additive touch-ups strictly for rogue UI elements, but might as well do it here while we're just mucking about. There was a huuuge glob of water right in front of his mouth too, and look at the bottom right corner of your image, lol. An obvious one.

mksshyudk.jpg

BONKERS

i1ZpCjajwBoJc.png

Only shot i could get without it crashing with Single Digits haha
ibjzVMdwiXATGD.png
(This one is just 1800p)
I'm extremely disappointing they didn't implement HBAO+ in this game though, or even an option to disable the FXAA (without killing reflections and DoF) which doesn't do an amazing job with this game.

The SSAO is garbage in close range. And yeah, Banding galore, not to mention da fuq is with some of the blending with the DoF? Some of it is absolutely gorgeous, some of it is absolutely putrid and full of undersampling garbage artifacts. > http://i4.minus.com/iqFqb2PMy1F5y.png > http://i.minus.com/iGxZrvdtYyKev.png (This one viewed at native resolution, dear lord does it look bad. Don't know what they were thinking with that. Look at Big Boss's Shoulder and the outline around his gun)
Also, my shot doesn't have it, but inject SMAA. It will make a difference. This game has some bad aliasing.

SMAA isn't going to resolve the shader aliasing this game has (Or some minor specular issues). It certainly won't resolve and AA properly all the sub pixel detail on things like fences.

Nor the temporal aliasing from lack of MSAA on geometric elements on the title screen and the hit and miss DOF. Near range on the title screen for example is undersampled.

However, it will help round off some edges that their implementation of FXAA just seems to miss. And when you are downsampling, that will help out IQ a little bit.

Shit, I did a test earlier and even putting FXAA over the already applied FXAA helps get edges that the in game implementation misses, even at 4800x2700 >_>

15868472649_f84267b7a5_o.png

Game looks good but needs some AA. Hope someone finds good Inspector bits soon.

I wish, AA in DX11 is impossible. Entirely at the bidding of any given developer. And Nvidia doesn't seem to give a rats ass, we've been asking and waiting for their response for 2 years now. Something like that, that is a free feature to all NVGPU users would totally be something they should/could advertise as a plus of being a member of the Green Team over the Reds. (Not like Nvidia would do the work of finding the correct bits anyway. We'd end up doing it) Why they don't is beyond me. It's perhaps the only reason I even continue to keep my NV GPU. DX9 AA support for over 500 Games and counting. All user supplied.

Even if they did put in support, you'd either have to choose> Anti Aliasing or Depth of Field + Reflections

What's funny to me is Nvidia tries to explain the aliasing being a side effect from the number of sample points (i'm guessing tied to the tiled rendering) from resolution> Which I found pretty funny.
A more reasonable explanation that actually makes sense, would be for things like the DoF which increase in quality due to being fractional in resolution.

Surely the improvement isn't just because there is a 4:1 pixel ratio and thus is able to render more detail at a distance? /sarcasm. Unless the game ACTUALLY renders more polygons in the distance based on resolution. Which...makes not much sense.

How did you do that?

Cheat Engine. I'll post my CE table for this game later tonight after work, but know that moving the camera around can break some of the shadows. Also, moving the camera at all causes the DOF to kick in for the whole image, so I had to disable screen filtering to fix it. I'm not sure what else that breaks though. DoF should be a separate setting....

I posted that shot because I was mostly demonstrating the rain. If I cared about it, I would have just tried another angle. But good job nonetheless :p I usually reserve photoshop for small bits of clipping, or sometimes a rogue tree branch sticking into the top of the image.

SMAA isn't going to resolve the shader aliasing this game has (Or some minor specular issues). It certainly won't resolve and AA properly all the sub pixel detail on things like fences.

Nor the temporal aliasing from lack of MSAA on geometric elements on the title screen and the hit and miss DOF. Near range on the title screen for example is undersampled.
I am aware of all of that. But it's better than nothing, and very cheap. It mostly fixed up edges, and the difference was crazy at 2560x1440. Some of edges can be real nasty.

Surprisingly, the game is somewhat playable at 5120x2880 with a single 980. I can run around and shoot enemies, but if I need to be accurate in a gun fight, it's certainly a lot trickier. But for taking screenshots it's fine. Unfortunately that resolution still isn't high enough for screenshots as clean as I'd like, but I can't go any higher than that. This game doesn't re-render when you change window size :(

I think I'm going to add a cheat to my table for infinite silencer. Having it break is so dumb. I just want to shoot every enemy in the world all stealthy like :(

BONKERS

Yeah, like I mentioned. It can help clean up edges that are seemingly missed (that shouldn't be).

And that will help out post-resolve in the final image.

Spazznid

Elite's been available for months. I've been playing it for months, and there've been screenshots posted for months. Most of the people who were hyped about it have been playing it already. I love it, and there's a lot to do for people who like games like Euro Truck Simulator, but if you want screenshots, go to the subreddit. There's plenty on there, including binary/ and even quad star systems. I'm not one to take too many screenshots in that game, for me it's all about that trade life. But I also want to get into combat a bit, and until I get a better ship than the Hauler, I'm not going too far jump-wise.

merrickxx

Neo Member
Came in expecting some HQ Elite photos.

Left disappointed :(

Is it not very good looking or just not many people playing yet?

It looks good, but until someone hacks some tools together or something, you're just going to be taking shots of mostly the same things, or of the same composition. Space is relatively boring, especially space games that try to be as authentic as possible, instead of the kinds that throw nebulas everywhere for some visual appeal, even though we wouldn't technically be able to see those nebulas with our human eyes, and so on.

In Elite, it's- take screenshot of this star, this space station, this planet, or this other ship, and do it from the take it from the cockpit.

Arena Commander 1.0 just released. Seems to have introduced some new visual effects but for some reason SLI usage has been drastically reduced almost halving the fps. Looks better than ever at least.
16058272481_e32a18f8c3_o.png

16058267341_6bc903e94f_o_d.png

Spazznid

If you're in a sidewinder, you can look up through the top window and take an almost cockpit-free shot. Thats how people make videos like this.

Top Bottom