• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
12180109606_5f569f1be1_o.jpg

Hopefully going to get a debug build (release version, sadly) sometime in the near future so I can take a crack at getting control over the FOV. Goal is to get that into a CE table that can be accessed in the newest version.

I'm curious where you would be getting that from? If it's some quasi legal thing feel free to not answer.

Yeap ,this is a 10 years old game and it still holds up pretty well.

12139882643_b8b81a7751_o.png

12139906093_69295a8af9_o.png

Those look really great. That's not from the BFG edition right?

Man, I don't know how the guy who runs DET gets his hands on all these crazy things but it's cool that he does.

Well most of his builds come directly from the devs\publishers for the purpose of taking screenshots. But I'm not really sure about this one.

He's just now playing through it for the first time. Hopefully he'll do an RPS article on it. I enjoy reading those.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Well most of his builds come directly from the devs\publishers for the purpose of taking screenshots. But I'm not really sure about this one.

He's just now playing through it for the first time. Hopefully he'll do an RPS article on it. I enjoy reading those.

Yeah I knew that generally he got them form the devs themselves, but with Dark Souls case that seems so entirely unlikely that I couldn't even imagine how he got a hold of it.

One3rd

Continued

screenshot_2014-01-27cip8p.jpg
Really liking these, getting such a nostalgic feel. So many great nights playing Might and Magic on the Apple II GS!

Loving the monochrome use here. The IQ is unreal.

Great shot. Is this mainly gaussian bloom or other stuff going on here? I haven't seen many "bright" shots in DS until now...and I like it. =)

I'd be running the other way too! Nicely captured.

12187688155_fe3f400531_o.jpg

Code:
[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7392/12189293195_2df3d6c950_o.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2854/12189720094_5d2f3cdfa4_o.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5472/12189916646_9612cd7b99_o.jpg[/IMG]

There's no helping the banding in that last one. Film grain + monochrome and it's still pretty darn obvious.

Durante

There's no helping the banding in that last one. Film grain + monochrome and it's still pretty darn obvious.
If I had some time to put into it I'd love to go back to Dark Souls and try to get it to do HDR to get rid of the banding sky. Maybe for 2 if it's still an issue :p

How is the game in general? I've never played much of the might and magic series because I never really though I'd like them. But then I played Grimrock and maaaaybe changed my mind.
It's not really much like Grimrock beyond the perspective. It's much vaster and more open, and also has a completely different (and IMHO much better) battle system. It's less puzzle-focused (though there are quite a few), but has lots of quests, cities and stuff.

EDIT:: What are the chances of say, a website where you, myself, and some other known screenshotters, can get together, and post about/discuss the various quirks of screenshotting. For example, screenshotting culture, methods, history, per-game analysys, strategies, isms, and maybe our opinions on the tech/art behind the games, as well as linking to our own galleries of screenshots? It would be sort of like the compendium, but with more info on each game and screenshotting as a whole. Just a thought. IF something like that were to be made, I'd be all in.

EDIT EDIT::: Just realized that's kind of like what the DET Flickr Group does... :D

It's like he heard you.

DeadEndThrills:

And for anyone into Dark Souls, he's getting some great 8K screenshots.

If I had some time to put into it I'd love to go back to Dark Souls and try to get it to do HDR to get rid of the banding sky. Maybe for 2 if it's still an issue :p
I'd bet dollars to donuts it will be. It's in issue in most games. But I think in Dark Souls moreso than others. I suppose I could go all MrRoderick and try to blow out the sky with the gauss shader for these shots. Not a bad idea, actually...

Great shot. Is this mainly gaussian bloom or other stuff going on here? I haven't seen many "bright" shots in DS until now...and I like it. =)

Thanks. Its the guassian DoF that dsfix implements, and I was messing with the brightness value, thus blowing out the BG.

I like these :) That gauss shader is fun huh?

Thanks, I was quite happy with em'. And yeah, I can see it being very handy for some creative stuff. I also didn't realize how powerful SFX can be when the game itself is going nuts with its own color effects (like looking through a firebomb here).

Chettlar

Banned

I am sorely tempted to use this as an avatar. Bravo.

...Oh my goodness. I mean, Mirror's Edge has always been impressive, but my lord, why can't I see how it's fake? I think what I'm saying is this is one of the first of the more complicated shots in Mirror's Edge I've seen that doesn't have something I can point out wrong with it. Usually, the super photorealistic shots are super simple. Nice work, basically. :)

ReeceIsAlive

Neo Member
These poses were hard to replicate, and even then it's not quite right. Duncan has a ton of patience....

12199896715_513edecc19_o.jpg

Damn, I hope you don't mind me asking, but would it be ok to ask if you could share your gauss.fx settings with me? I have no intentions to imitate, Just to use as a guideline as I really have no idea what in the hell im doing with it.

Damn, I hope you don't mind me asking, but would it be ok to ask if you could share your gauss.fx settings with me? I have no intentions to imitate, Just to use as a guideline as I really have no idea what in the hell im doing with it.

There's not much to it. You only have 6 numbers to change. Here are the defaults:

static const float sampleWeights[3] = { 0.2270270270, 0.3162162162, 0.0702702703 };
static const float sampleOffsets[3] = { 0.0, 1.3846153846, 3.2307692308 };

The top 3 numbers effect the brightness of the DOF. I usually increase each number by a little bit (.01) when I'm going for a brighter background. The it can get pretty bright pretty fast.

I usually leave it at the default unless I want to change it for a particular area to go for a certain look.

The bottom 3 numbers effect the DOF blur strength. It's very rare I tweak those as I usually end up making it look worse xD

ReeceIsAlive

Neo Member
There's not much to it. You only have 6 numbers to change. Here are the defaults:

The top 3 numbers effect the brightness of the DOF. I usually increase each number by a little bit (.01) when I'm going for a brighter background. The it can get pretty bright pretty fast.

I usually leave it at the default unless I want to change it for a particular area to go for a certain look.

The bottom 3 numbers effect the DOF blur strength. It's very rare I tweak those as I usually end up making it look worse xD

Jesus, no wonder I was getting such funky looks, I have a habit of increasing things in intervals or multiplications, My values were 3x that of the original haha

Gvaz

Banned
deadspace32014-01-282gzrdn.png

deadspace32014-01-282h5pzl.png

I would not recommend playing this without coop (like RE5) and definitely set it to the hardest difficulty setting you can (for me it's nightmare from the getgo, for some reason)

Gvaz

Banned
deadspace32014-01-2907mo1u.png

deadspace32014-01-2908ur1y.png

I'd put the settings higher but, I'm getting 45-60fps consistently on these settings on my garbage fucking gpu, and putting it on medium tanks it by like 15fps easily and the mouse gets all sluggish. Ugh.

ReeceIsAlive

Neo Member
deadspace32014-01-282gzrdn.png

deadspace32014-01-282h5pzl.png

I would not recommend playing this without coop (like RE5) and definitely set it to the hardest difficulty setting you can (for me it's nightmare from the getgo, for some reason)

I love dead space aesthetically and gameplay wise, pity im too much of a pussy to play it. I can't even play darksouls with my headset on when venturing into to depths xD

Gvaz

Banned
Dead Space is no longer scary.

I suppose it could be scary if Jump Scares and Predictable Monster Closets where enemies always jump out of in order is scary. Scary is all about tension to me, there is no fear without apprehension. If you know something is going to happen, it's never scary. Fear of the unknown, that is scary.

Dead Space 1 was kind of like that but now by ep 3 it's like, "dude I get it, i get a gun and i shoot at this zombie with no AI until it's dead. sometimes the linear hallway spawns 2 dudes, and another time it spawns like 10. Oh we're in a place with a workbench? 99% of the time it's safe, time for your downtime"

On coop we/re both semi decent players and the only time we had trouble was at the start on nightmare and that's because it was like resource hell and you barely get anything. We're not even done chapter 9 of 19 and we're fuckin swimming in resources and stocked to the teeth and fights aren't even scary or hard they're just l like swatting flies. I could be stoned off my ass and still be able to complete this just fine in coop. It's also funny because, like scary movies, if you have a buddy who sits and basically MST3k the whole thing, it's just hilarious. So the whole time we're just chatting about the game and how it's retarded and how "dude I just killed that enemy, why is he glitching out and spazzing out all over the room with spider limbs all over the place lmao"

it just saps everything that made dead space 1 even remotely scary. It's not scary now, it's a scifi shooter with mindfuck elements w/r/t to the plot and a collectathon to pad out the gameplay.

Of course it's not a deadspace 3 game without it being rough->easy->why the FUCK are there like 10000 creatures spawned on my ass during the last fight, what the FUCK.

Maybe i'm making it sound like a bad game, it's not. having COOP is a natural progression after DS2. However i've just accepted at this point that because of the inclusion of coop the IP they had at the start is now ruined. It's now just a scifi TPS where there's no feeling of dread or apprehension.

If I want to be scared, I play amnesia or some other game by those devs.

Top Bottom