• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Microsoft E3 Conference

MarionCB

I still can't get over that Conker thing. They thought we'd be happy about that? Jeez. Just make a new game, MS, don't tell us to do it.

gimmmick

C -

Pretty disappointing. Almost every game I'll be able to play on ps4 with better quality. Other than sunset drive , nothing peaked my interesting onto buying an xbox one.

Though it's pretty refreshing that kinnect wasn't shown one bit this year like it has for the past 4. Microsoft needs branch out to other markets then just the western American market. I'm tired of playing fps games.

Solid conference

however I would give it 7/10

Why? Because most of the stuff we already knew through leaks and ntkrnl, took the surprise factor away. No Megatons or bombs dropped. Most of the exclusive look good but apart from Sunset nothing looks like a system seller.

trixx

Pretty good show. Still don't see myself buying an xbox one even with the halo 1-4 collection, guess not that big of a gamer anymore.

Next gen as a whole does not interest me really. Same games but look better, same thing with wii u honestly.

I think Inside interested me the most.

Rozart

Based on reactions here and on Twitter, looks like it was a OK conference.

ntkrnl ruined all their surprises, except for Phantom Dust (never heard of that game before...).

Yeah. I also kinda wished they saved the $399 bomb for E3. Would have had a bigger impact imo,

Drake

I'm starting to feel bad for MS. I feel like they are trying to give us what we want, but nothing is really clicking with me. The only thing they showed that is exclusive that I'm interested in is Sunset Overdrive and that's not enough to make me want to buy an XBONE. I'm getting TW3 and DA:I on PC. I'll be getting a PS4 for UC4 and DS/PB. The game Platinum showed look interesting, but I have a feeling that won't be out until the end of 2015.

watershed

Banned
I thought the use of cg trailers was very disappointing. With next gen I'd like cg trailers to be a thing of the past, but I guess its a way of showing off a new title that is still very early in development.

Very impressive conference. I think Microsoft won this E3. It was games, games, games the whole way through. Like holy shit there was nothing else. I almost feel like the conference didn't even end and there's still sales talk to be done. Thank you based Spencer. He's literally the best thing that could have happened to the xbox. I feel like they were holding back, though. There was nothing I would consider a megaton except Phantom Dust (who knows how well that will sell though), but that was mostly ntkrnl's fault. I imagine Phil Spencer was extremely disappointed their entire E3 conterence leaked cause of some guy leaking it on a message board. Without that a lot of announcements would be mindblowing, but because of that it mostly just went according to plan. Still, excellent job Microsoft. I want an Xbox One now, so they did their job.

All those CG trailers and multiplat games that won't come out til 2016. Yawn. Obviously better than last year, but really folks, this wasn't anything special.

Namikaze1

7/10 for me. Most games were leaked beforehand. The two that caught my eyes were Ori and Inside. Other than that, nothing else intrigued me. Still gonna get an Xbox One for Halo 5 next year. I'm just gonna patiently wait for the inevitable bundle.

Decent show, I thought. Solid B.

Nothing really worth a "wow". Inside intrigued me the most. Sunset Overdrive makes me happy. All of my "wuh?!?!?!?" at the Project Spark: Conker thing.

gaugebozo

I haven't owned a Sony console since the PS2, but Halo Master Chief Collection is really the only thing that would push me to buy a Xbone over a PS4. At least I'm actually considering it now.

The Sony show will be interesting, especially if there's an announcement/details for Beast Souls. If they can convince me that there will be a large enough variety of FPSes and that game exists/is an exclusive, the PS4 almost becomes a sure thing for me.

Much improved show over last year.

Do want
Cuphead-TheGreatSlime.gif

Definitely like the style.
3rd best announcement for Xbox other than the new Platinum & Phantom Dust games.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Not a bad conference at all. When they said all about the games, they meant it.

That said, some real highs and lows. Spark and Fable looked weak. Horizon, Sunset looked great. Would have loved to see real crackdown footage. But Inside and Witcher stole the show for me.

Well done MS, 7/10.

Phil4000

Decent conference, glad Microsoft is back on track only talking about games and very little Kinect or TV stuff

too many CG trailers though...

Yaoibot

Hmm. Solid B- conference. Felt like a love letter to 'Box fans. Not quite as earthshaking as I was expecting. I'm surprised the rumored Platinum game was the only third-party exclusive on stage.

What large 3rd party publisher would actually sign an exclusivity deal with them after TF? I called this weeks ago. All that Dragon's Dogma 2 stuff was complete nonsense.

+ Crackdown
+ platinum exclusive
+ Halo Collection

- Rare being no show
- Was really hoping for a exclusive RPG ala Mistwalker or something.. nope
- Not much new

7.5/10

dakun

this wasn't a "conference" it was just a collection of trailers being shown on the big screen.. MS could've just pulled a Nintendo and do it all digital if that's what they were thinking of doing..

as a conference this gets a 4/10 from me.. the games get a 7/10,

I liked Sunset Overdrive, but it's not a system seller for me.. Halo Collection might be even though i have only ever played the first one over ten years ago.
Crackdown is ok but it i'm sceptical until it's out. Same for the Platinum Games exclusive, announcement would've been better if it was done with a gameplay clip.
Some Indie games looked good too.

For me they showed too many games that were either third party or games we have known about already. But i have the suspicion Sony will do the same.

In terms of winning E3... Sony has Last Guardian.. if it makes an amazing appearance where we say "wow the wait was worth it" they might just as well win it by default. Add Project Beast and another unannounced exclusive.. it will be much tighter than last year that's for sure.

On the plus side, MS.stayed away from business talk. But they had to. They sent going to mention the fact that Sony is outselling them this gen, even with no supply constraints. Platinum exclusive ifs good for their eco system. Sunset overdrive looks fun, but I wonder how long that will last. The rest were games I personally don't have any interest in, and they focused on third party - which I'd not surprising find they have limited first party studios. That became even more obvious with the timed dlc.exclusivity they bought. If I had to rate it previously, I'd go with a B-. It was above average as a show/presentation, but nothing which stood out.

Sianos

I feel like this conference should be judged in relation to Microsoft's absolute garbage E3 showings in recent years. They showed video games this time, and nothing but video games! Sure there weren't any wow moments, but other than a few boring gunbangmilitary games the pacing was excellent and VIDEO GAMES were had.

Solid showing overall.

It was average. Practically everything was leaked beforehand, the trailers were often CG showcases and there wasn't anything close to what could be considered a bombshell.

It was well-paced, tight, there was little bullshit involved, but all in all it was wholly unspectacular. And quite frankly, I felt there was too much time devoted to third-party titles, games we'd seen footage from already.

5/10

6/10

Not sure if those leaks really hurt this conference, but there was no surprises here. =/

Really looking forward to Inside and that other game that looked like Dust:Elysian

Sure whatever was expected, new team just took over the Xbox division less than six months ago. Disappointing part wasn't really any true big reveals.

Saw a lot of games , but a lot of them were multiplat .
i liked creed unity , i liked division , i 'm glad to see a tomb raider ..sunset overdrive is too much for me and i've already done with halo.

The kamiya game looked cool , a pleaseant surprise that was cool , very cool... but aside from that ....

Oh and fable legends looked very bad to me the combat felt so "off" , this is even more obvious after seeing the witcher demo.

And forza is finally adding stuff that GT had for years .... FINALLY

Sloane

Banned
Sunset Overdrive was the clear winner here. Taking the piss out of the grimdark COD shootery stuff was a bit on the nose, but still appreciated. Beautiful colours, smooth animation, it just looks like pure fun. I read the Edge article last month but it didn't do it justice, I was really impressed.
It does look great, I wonder how it will play though. Judging from what I've seen so far it seems to land somewhere in between JSR and Dead Rising, which is a bit... confusing.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Solid.

No surprises.. but then again all of those were leaked earlier this year.

I found it quite weird that MS revealed so much in advance (FH2, Halo collection) , It would be much bigger boom if they unveiled it today..

Top Bottom