• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Microsoft E3 Conference

5/10

Pretty much everything had leaked.

Still, I would have given it a rather nice score if they had actually showed some gameplay for stuff like Platinum game, Crackdown and Phantom Dust.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
All the pre-E3 hype led me to believe MS was going to kill Sony... honestly with the conclusion of the show, I've come away feeling that this was a very lackluster event, most everything shown was known, or assumed correctly beforehand. I think having such a blowout at E3 last year has hampered them this year.

And the stuff they announced new weren't exactly megaton either. It seemed like no one cared about this Phantom Dust on the original Xbox, why should I care about it now? Platinum Games are an awesome Dev house, but look at their last action game not called MG. Vanquish didn't set the world on fire. For a lot of people Crackdown 2 left a bad taste in their mouths, how do you convince them this time is different?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well at least this put the nail in the coffin of that goofy ntkrnl is a controlled leak horseshit. Motherfucker leaked their entire conference.
raydisgusted.png

Seriously, at least that garbage can stop now.

DukeBobby

I've not been following the leaks, so that's probably why I liked it more.

I wasn't expecting much, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Cyport

The conference for me seemed like it was tailored towards xbox fans, not really for those on the fence or anyone else but it was one of the best microsoft shows in a long time. No more bullshit and no more cloud/kinect rubbish.

It's not even a year since this generation started so the games will take time hence a lot of CGI trailers, I think Sony will be similar.

SparkTR

It's nice that it was all games, but if that's ALL the games then I'm pretty much still uninterested in the XBO until at least 2016.

yuraya

Yea not many megatons. Phantom Dust trailer was really good. Platinum game looks interesting. Overall a safe conference for MS. They are gonna ride that Halo for the next year.

It was okay conference. I give it 7.9/10.

Tookay

I feel like this conference should be judged in relation to Microsoft's absolute garbage E3 showings in recent years. They showed video games this time, and nothing but video games! Sure there weren't any wow moments, but other than a few boring gunbangmilitary games the pacing was excellent and VIDEO GAMES were had.

Solid showing overall.

I agree that, in relation to the last 4 or so years, it was decent. There wasn't any Kinect bullshit, TV TV TV, SPORTS...

But it was still fairly dull in the grand scheme of things.

6/10

They showed games, had no KINECT (You're dead and buried), lots of CG trailers, and a mention of Nintendo and Sony at the start.

Passable, but outside of Sunset Overdrive, none of the exclusives do anything for me.

Very impressive conference. I think Microsoft won this E3. It was games, games, games the whole way through. Like holy shit there was nothing else. I almost feel like the conference didn't even end and there's still sales talk to be done. Thank you based Spencer. He's literally the best thing that could have happened to the xbox. I feel like they were holding back, though. There was nothing I would consider a megaton except Phantom Dust (who knows how well that will sell though), but that was mostly ntkrnl's fault. I imagine Phil Spencer was extremely disappointed their entire E3 conterence leaked cause of some guy leaking it on a message board. Without that a lot of announcements would be mindblowing, but because of that it mostly just went according to plan. Still, excellent job Microsoft. I want an Xbox One now, so they did their job.

But they're the only people who went so far how could they win?

Sianos

Considering we aren't all bemoaning the death of video games in favor of our TV overlords, this has been a better start than most E3's.

Plain, but serviceable and video games.

KZObsessed

Best things they showed for me were multiplat games, but overall they did well. It was the kind of show they needed.

Didn't see anything that sets them apart from the PS4 tho which is what they need and I still have next to no desire to buy an XB1.

Sony could easily have a more exciting conference but their developers don't seem ready so I'm not expecting much to be honest. I'm actually more excited to see what Nintendo have in store which is strange for me.

Conference was pretty great I have to say. No bullshit talking, just games. Am I the only one though who found Platinum's exclusive underwhelming? Granted the trailer was just CG but still...

Phil4000

Decent conference, glad Microsoft is back on track only talking about games. Still not sold on picking up a console this year though.

and way too many CG trailers...

alterno69

Banned
i dunno if its the same for others, but all the timed DLC doesn't really sway me.

Same here, and i suppose most people feel the same, Performance > early extra stuff i have to pay for.

At this point, as a multi console owner, the timed exclusive DLC is more annoying than cool.

Since MS did not show Halo 5, does that mean that Halo 5 is not stated for 2015? Phil said they will showcase games that are coming in 2015, but there was no Halo 5. I thought they would have shown 5-10 minutes campaign gameplay.

Robot Pants

Too much CGI. Disappointing to say the least.
Crackdown looks interesting as long as it's not an MMO, Scalebound looks surprisingly dumb, and everything else exclusive they showed I wasn't into.

6/10

Don

Pretty good conference. Really like what was shown of Scalebound and can't wait to see more.

I skipped on Crackdown 2 despite really enjoying the original, but the trailer for Crackdown 3 looked cool.

Decent show but i expected a lot more. Way too many multiplats and crackdown is not worth as the last game to show even though i like crackdown. Why is it just called crackdown though? seems weird,hopefully it's not online only.

SegaShack

Last year we had KI, Titanfall, Dead Rising, Ryse, and Forza 5. They showed gameplay and not CG story trailers. This one was a joke.

Best part was Conker but then it was just some Spark DLC and not a new game. I'm so disappointed.

Zephyx

Pretty OK conference for me. I would rate it a B- since the show was paced nicely and I didn't feel staying up late was a waste of time. Only game that interests me is the PG game since I'm not really a fan of shooters.

Not a bad conference from MS, some games def peaked my interest.

I think Im most excited about new Tomb Raider which is weird.

Oh, the filler crap with people talking about games was annoying, but quick so Ill get over it.

7/10

j0hnnix

Gold Member
For me it was the D3 dlc, announcement.. the KI announcement was bleh.. I never played any of the Halo's but will pick up the collection - this was not a new announcement.. Scalebound is awesome.

Overall 6/10

KAL2006

Banned
Sunset OverDrive
Halo Collection
Forza Horizon 2

Fable Legends
Quantum Break
Forza 6
Halo 5

Phantom Dust
Platinum Games New IP
Crackdown 3
Gears of War 4

Their you have it folks the future of Xbox One

Huggers

Thought Microsoft did okay but not great. Solid showing that could really have used a megaton or two. Sunset Overdrive continues to impress and The Witcher 3 looked badass

Freeman

Banned
As a warmup for Sony's E3 tonight it was alright, a lot of multiplats that are looking good.

As something to try and convince me to get an Xbox? D- out of 10.

Exclusives were mainly CG and I don't care for Halo.

LaserHawk

Not a bad presentation, but my taste in games makes it not very exciting to me. I look forward to Sunset Overdrive and Crackdown, but that's pretty much it.

Tevren

Solid show for them, and didn't shoot themselves in the foot like last year. As has been said, leaks blunted the impact of a few things, and a lot of what was shown is multiplat.

Still, it was a step in the right direction for them.

TheCloser

Banned
It was an alright show but unfortunately, the only thing that got me going was sunset overdrive. Lots of multiplats shown in the conference but a healthy amount of exclusives. There was no megaton announcement. Everyone tune in to IGN to listen to Ryan Mcaffery just go gaga over the conference. smh.

Pretty good conference, nonstop games. Lots of Halo stuff, but I like Halo. Cod looks decent, but I need multiplayer footage! Scalebound will probably be great, but there wasn't any in game footage. There were a couple indie games that looked interesting. The best game there for me was Rise of the Tomb Raider.

JaggedSac

I want to know what that dude meant by Crackdown being run on an army of dedicated servers. Is the destruction being handled via Cloud Compute?

Drek

Original game director is on it.

And original staff helped with Crackdown 2 as part of Ruffian. And Realtime Worlds followed up Crackdown with the amazing All Points Bulletin bomba.

Sometimes you hit on a whole team of people who are the right fit at the right time for the game they made. MS found that with the first Crackdown but sat on their hands until RW was no longer available and had to get Ruffian cobbled together to push out Crackdown 2. Now they're going back to the same formula for Crackdown 3, this time with David Jones as their bit of "cred" stirred in the mix.

Maybe they get it right this time, maybe they don't. It's a coin toss because just like Black Tusk it's a totally new group who've never put anything out.

Again, THIS is why Microsoft needs to stop trying to only dip a toe in the first party water. What did Sony do when Infamous was critically well reviewed and a solid if not amazing seller? They bought Sucker Punch and went full speed ahead with that team. MS is so damn risk adverse when it comes to having a legitimate stable of software studios that when push comes to shove they simply lack the first party muscle Sony and Nintendo bring to the table. That's why we get a conference 3/4ths focused on all the multiplats they've paid for exclusive/timed DLC for.

Other than Fable Legends, Project Spark, and the Halo HD collection not a single game they showed off is being made by an MS owned studio. They've outsourced to Insomniac, Playground Games, Platinum and Capcom to build their "exclusive lineup". When are they going to actually commit to being a part of the industry and stop opening and closing studios like most people change socks?

Anteater

yeah after that trailer I think sunset overdrive looks really good, wasn't feeling it with the previous video, but the action in this trailer flows a lot faster/better with more weight.

fi1ip

8.5/10

Like the new direction they are taking. No Kineck, no BS talks, only trailers, a lot of stuff exclusive to Xbox One...

Very good E3 presentation overall.

I enjoyed it, just games was all I wanted to see and got. 8/10

Just some of the games didn't seem all that exciting though like Fable with that gameplay didn't seem fun at all and all the CG stuff was disappointing.

So what was the BIG exclusive IGN was talking about? Did I miss something? Only game that did it for me was Forza. Everything else we kind of already knew. The Platinum game looked cool, but it was CG, so can't really tell if it's going to be fun.

Top Bottom