• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of the snow and ice for the entire games (alpine and hockey, mostly) seemed like garbage, honestly.

I have quite a few friends who live in Russia that question why they picked Sochi to hold the Winter Olympics. It's a summer resort! But yeah, the two biggest complaints about these Olympics have been garbage ice and less than stellar snow conditions.

pringles

All-Star Team:

Lundqvist (SWE)

Doughty (CAN)
Karlsson (SWE)

Kessel (US)
Granlund (FIN)
Selänne (FIN)

MVP: Selänne (FIN)

Best Forward: Phil Kessel (US)
Best Defenseman: Erik Karlsson (SWE)
Best Goaltender: Carey Price (CAN)

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Snow did indeed look bad, but it's not the fault of anyone (except maybe the ones that picked Sochi to host the games...). It's simply too warm there. I'm sure the volunteers worked their asses off to get the conditions to a decent level. Same thing happened in Vancouver during 2010 when we had no snow and unseasonably warm temperatures.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
All-Star Team:

Lundqvist (SWE)

Doughty (CAN)
Karlsson (SWE)

Kessel (US)
Granlund (FIN)
Selänne (FIN)

MVP: Selänne (FIN)

Best Forward: Phil Kessel (US)
Best Defenseman: Erik Karlsson (SWE)
Best Goaltender: Carey Price (CAN)

yeah, that makes sense.

Parch

I think it happened during Latvia.

There's one point in time when a team comes together. The coaches had done their job. They came up with a big ice system that suited the talent of the team. Then it was up to the team to buy into it. To believe it. When Latvia scored that sneaky bench change goal the team came together. It was like are you kidding me? These clowns score a goal like that? The game was still a nerve-wracker and much closer than it should have been. But the team knew it had happened. They had come together.

They were really confident going into the US game. Oddly so. That's when I knew. That's when I realized they had reached the point. They knew they had a system that would work. They knew they had the talent. They knew they could win.

There's a point in time when players come together as a team.
There's a point in time when a team comes together as a country.
All that was left was to go out and prove it.

Thank You Team Canada. You proved it.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
KALRSSON BEST DMAN, WELL DESERVED.

This

I find it hard to make a case that Karlsson was the best D-man. Most points maybe, but the guy barely defends.

Salty Leafs fan is salty.

Karlsson made an amazing defensive play preventing Crosby from getting a breakway just in this game. When the kid is in a position to use his speed to make a defensive play, he's an excellent defender.

Bluenova

Neo Member
Damn I gonna have to watch the encore. But wake up to see em draped in gold.

Nice job

Also gotta see the Finland v USA! Finns were on the podium!? Damn, how we're the reactions here? Lol

Karlsson made an amazing defensive play preventing Crosby from getting a breakway just in this game. When the kid is in a position to use his speed to make a defensive play, he's an excellent defender.

You're going to hear this until long Karlsson retires. He's a poster boy for confirmation bias.

calder

Snow did indeed look bad, but it's not the fault of anyone (except maybe the ones that picked Sochi to host the games...). It's simply too warm there. I'm sure the volunteers worked their asses off to get the conditions to a decent level. Same thing happened in Vancouver during 2010 when we had no snow and unseasonably warm temperatures.

It's the dueling priorities of the IOC when it comes to awarding games - they want winter cities but they want the warmest possible winter cities for spectators. And also because logistically they need larger population centers, and those tend to be the coastal, warm places. The Winter Olympics needs more Norway, less resort towns kinda close to some decent skiing.

I don't think I've seen this kind of dominance in a Gold Medal game! This wasn't even close!

Quite possibly the best defence ever put on ice!

I didn't think we'd win the Gold with the way we were struggling early on in the tournament. But that defence! Wow! 3 goals allowed in 6 games with crazy offensive teams like the USA, Finland, and Sweden!

This

If he was Canadian he wouldn't have even cracked the lineup.

Nah he'd be there over [spoiler[Subban.[/spoiler]
Also, they're totally different teams. Some countries take the best players, Canada takes the best players at their positions; aka they have the luxury to take their best defensive dman because the forwards will do the scoring. (I realize the irony in that statement given the amount of dman scoring but you get my point)

GSG Flash

I don't really understand what this has to do with anything.

It's always hilarious seeing Leafs fans trying to downplay Karlsson's game/skills/achievements, especially since you guys have to deal with the same thing from other fans regarding Kessel.

I don't really understand what this has to do with anything.

It's always hilarious seeing Leafs fans trying to downplay Karlsson's game/skills/achievements, especially since you guys have to deal with the same thing from other fans regarding Kessel.

Right. You pass the salt around the table. When he retires I'll appreciate him, until then he's a plug.

Nah he'd be there over [spoiler[Subban.[/spoiler]
Also, they're totally different teams. Some countries take the best players, Canada takes the best players at their positions; aka they have the luxury to take their best defensive dman because the forwards will do the scoring. (I realize the irony in that statement given the amount of dman scoring but you get my point)

I really don't think he would have been, especially if we already have Subban.

Brandson

I'm at work in my office in downtown Toronto by Union Station, and there has been nonstop cheering/screaming, and horn honking for the last 2 hours. They are still going crazy. It's pretty loud even on the 35th floor here. I can see Real Sports and Air Canada Centre from my window, so it might be coming from there. There are a lot of happy drunk people down here right now.

The Swedish management is apparently a bit upset. Bäckström was tested on Friday and you're usually notified about the result within 24 hours.

Now they wait until Sunday and remove him from the team when they are actually in the arena preparing for the final.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Really happy to see Teemu get tournament MVP, what a legend and great way to go out.

Karlsson had 3 awful turnovers that should have been goals except for the post and Lunqvist bailing him out. He's an incredible offensive talent, the best in the league on the back end, but to pretend he is a bastion of defensive ability is absurd. Weber, Suter or McDonagh should have gotten that second spot.

zroid

Banned
I'm at work in my office in downtown Toronto by Union Station, and there has been nonstop cheering/screaming, and horn honking for the last 2 hours. They are still going crazy. It's pretty loud even on the 35th floor here. I can see Real Sports and Air Canada Centre from my window, so it might be coming from there. There are a lot of happy drunk people down here right now.

I normally like the peace and quiet of the suburbs, but it's times like this I really wish I were downtown.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The Swedish management is apparently a bit upset. Bäckström was tested on Friday and you're usually notified about the result within 24 hours.

Now they wait until Sunday and remove him from the team when they are actually in the arena preparing for the final.

More than a bit upset I'd say, especially the Swedish coach, who said IOC messed things up and treated the whole situation like some kind of game.

Friggin CANADIAN referees at it AGAIN.

PersonaX

Damn I gonna have to watch the encore. But wake up to see em draped in gold.

Nice job

Also gotta see the Finland v USA! Finns were on the podium!? Damn, how we're the reactions here? Lol

Why is this still such a surprise for so many? Finnish hockey team has won four medals in the last five Olympics and is always up there in the rankings.

Red_Man

Why would Backstrom take an allergy substance that's banned? You'd think the management staff would make it very clear what they can take and what they can't.

Why is this still such a surprise for so many? Finnish hockey team has won four medals in the last five Olympics and is always up there in the rankings.
They were missing a bunch of important top offensive players.

GSG Flash

Karlsson had 3 awful turnovers that should have been goals except for the post and Lunqvist bailing him out. He's an incredible offensive talent, the best in the league on the back end, but to pretend he is a bastion of defensive ability is absurd. Weber, Suter or McDonagh should have gotten that second spot.

Except no one ever said this ever anywhere...

No point in bringing up straw man arguments.

And if we're talking about just this game, there were far worse Sweden defensemen. There's obviously going to be turnovers when he's trying to get his team back in the game, and yet he still ended the game even on plus minus. You guys have some weird ass expectations out of Karlsson. If we're going to nitpick this much, then there were some Canadian defensemen who turned over the puck quite a few times as well.

yyzjohn

Banned
Per Lebrun.

So who's up next?

dave%20nonis%20620.jpeg

And if we're talking about just this game, there were far worse Sweden defensemen. There's obviously going to be turnovers when he's trying to get his team back in the game, and yet he still ended the game even on plus minus. You guys have some weird ass expectations out of Karlsson. If we're going to nitpick this much, then there were some Canadian defensemen who turned over the puck quite a few times as well.

You couldn't find three turnovers in the entire Canadian D-core, let alone just one guy.

Red_Man

"I Believe so." - Steve Yzerman when asked if this was best Canadian defensive team ever.
That's why Yzerman isn't coming back, he knows he'll never deal with a D corp this good again.

Except for you guys thinking he deserves to be on the Olympic All Star team implying he was one of the best D men in the world for this tournament. He had brutal turnovers early on when the game was still there for the Swedes, it's how he plays.

GSG Flash

You couldn't find three turnovers in the entire Canadian D-core, let alone just one guy.

Again, what does this have to do with anything? I'm sorry Karlsson killed your dog or pissed in your cheerios or whatever.

But remain salty. I'm sure Karlsson cares about your opinion with his Olympic medal, Norris trophy and best Olympic and WJC defenseman awards.

Again, what does this have to do with anything? I'm sorry Karlsson killed your dog or pissed in your cheerios or whatever.

But remain salty. I'm sure Karlsson cares about your opinion with his Olympic medal, Norris trophy and best Olympic and WJC defenseman awards.

Hahaha, it's clear you do!

GSG Flash

Except for you guys thinking he deserves to be on the Olympic All Star team implying he was one of the best D men in the world for this tournament. He had brutal turnovers early on when the game was still there for the Swedes, it's how he plays.

And? That doesn't mean it also implies that we think he's the greatest defensive defenseman ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom