• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Why is the title about true blood which has been over for years?

TVD lost it's way years ago and The Originals barely ever justified it's existence so the good news here is that the CW will potentially have two free time slots soon enough. Let's just hope this

CW is going to be all arrowverse all the time.

isn't what ends up happening.

ZeroX03

Banned
Why is the title about true blood which has been over for years?

Cuz The Vampire Diaries is about vampires?

I suspect it's over for The Originals too. It needed to get to syndication, and TVD was a reliable partner along the way, but it would be weird to have a low-rated spin-off around without the parent.

Pachimari

Sad to see The Vampire Diaries come to an end but it is time really, and I'm also kind of glad about it. It is the tv show that got me into watching tv shows, so it'll always have a special place for me, and The Originals has been a pleasant watch too.

TripOpt55

I still have five episodes on the DVR of both The Originals and TVD from last season. I guess I just got super bored with it. I'm kind of glad TVD is ending. I'll definitely try and catch up to see how it ends. The early seasons of this show were so good (especially Season 2)... kind of a bummer to see it fall so far since. Hopefully they can close it out in a satisfying way.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Cuz The Vampire Diaries is about vampires?

I suspect it's over for The Originals too. It needed to get to syndication, and TVD was a reliable partner along the way, but it would be weird to have a low-rated spin-off around without the parent.

Oh. Im dumb :(

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Bad thread title is bad. True Blood is crap, Vampire Diaries was good.

Hey! Season 1 of True Blood was pretty good! I regret sticking with it beyond that. It became a parody of itself.

Joni

Hey, which show has the gratuitous nudity and scene chewing? Don't throw shade at True Blood.

The Vampire Diaries people are hot enough even without the nudity.

tumblr_m9amlmjY1E1rt3fn2.gif
giphy.gif

Hey! Season 1 of True Blood was pretty good! I regret sticking with it beyond that. It became a parody of itself.

It felt off from the start to me. Might be because it was hyped so much and was trying to be something that it wasn't, while CW just knows what CW is. While HBO always tries to be something more than it can aside from their real hits like Sopranos.

El Topo

Only compared to their current stuff, right? At the time I thought it did significantly worse than their previous ratings hits.

I think bigger than anything other than Sopranos and Sex and the City. Probably a lot cheaper than many other shows and arguably a much bigger international hit.

It might have been a hit, but it was bad.

Maybe, but at least it wasn't as dreadfully boring and unappealing as many of their other shows.
I mean, it's a show about vampires that live in Louisiana, shapeshifters and fairies, I'd say it did reasonably well, given these things and the general tone.

maxcriden

I think bigger than anything other than Sopranos and Sex and the City. Probably a lot cheaper than many other shows and arguably a much bigger international hit.

Oh, dang. I didn't realize it was nearly that popular. Learn something new every day. Thanks for the info!

El Topo

Oh, dang. I didn't realize it was nearly that popular. Learn something new every day. Thanks for the info!

I mean, since then Game of Thrones has obviously been bigger, but other than those three shows? Nothing comes to mind, although just looking at ratings is obviously an oversimplification.
There's a reason the show ran for seven seasons. Heck, despite the (comparatively) poor Metacritic ratings, it even managed to snatch some nominations and awards.

TripOpt55

I'm trying Hulu out to check out a couple of their shows (mainly Casual and The Path) and I was wondering if there was anything else worth giving a shot while I was using it?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm trying Hulu out to check out a couple of their shows (mainly Casual and The Path) and I was wondering if there was anything else worth giving a shot while I was using it?

11/22/63 based off the Stephen King novel.

berzeli

Banned
So, if you feel like there is a lack of stuff to watch:
The best TV of 2016 so far: The A.V. Club’s catch-up guide
11.22.63 (Hulu)
The Americans (FX)
Bates Motel (A&E)
Baskets (FX)
Better Call Saul (AMC)
Catastrophe (Amazon)
The Circus (Showtime)
The Catch (ABC)
Colony (USA)
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (The CW)
Girlfriends’ Guide To Divorce (Bravo, Netflix)
Grace And Frankie (Netflix)
The Grinder (Fox)
Kingdom (DirecTV/Audience Network)
Match Game (ABC)
Lady Dynamite (Netflix)
O.J.: Made In America (ESPN)
Outcast (Cinemax)
The People V. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX)
Silicon Valley (HBO)
Stranger Things (Netflix)
Underground (WGN America)
Veep (HBO)
Please click through and read the motivations, total time commitment info, links to where the shows are available (in the US), and more!

I watched all of The Path over the last couple of days. I'd had it PVRed. Good show.

Now I'm trying to catch up on Fear The Walking Dead. I did so with Supernatural and Bates Motel this last week, too.

I still have Preacher and Outcast to watch several episodes of, eight episodes of The People vs. OJ and all of The Night Manager. I'm not sure if I should just delete that, though, because it doesn't look all that interesting.

Oh, and the first two episodes of Mr. Robot Season 2. I'm trying to find a time where I can sit down and concentrate on it and watch all three hours. It's the best show going.

berzeli

Banned
all of The Night Manager. I'm not sure if I should just delete that, though, because it doesn't look all that interesting.
The Night Manager was great though; a Bond-y miniseries with great acting (the cast is bonkers) and terrific production values.
But if you hate fun/good TV, do delete it.

The Night Manager was great though; a Bond-y miniseries with great acting (the cast is bonkers) and terrific production values.
But if you hate fun/good TV, do delete it.

I'll watch it then. I'm just normally not into spy fiction outside of Bond.

I was expecting a reply like that, giving reason to watch it, but I'd be lying if I said that my OCD wasn't hoping otherwise. I have an obsession with having a blank PVR, and always look for things to delete.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I'll watch it then. I'm just normally not into spy fiction outside of Bond.

I was expecting a reply like that, giving reason to watch it, but I'd be lying if I said that my OCD wasn't hoping otherwise. I have an obsession with having a blank PVR, and always look for things to delete.

Night Manager is incredibly, incredibly good. Only 6 episodes as well, go watch it.

ZeroX03

Banned
The Night Manager was great. A few weird pacing things but it all coalesces nicely. Too bad future seasons seem completely reliant on the author.

Yeah the Night Manager is really good. Great acting and very high quality production. The story is slightly predictable but it's a short and fun ride.

Grizzlyjin

The Night Manager was the smart Bond movie I always wanted.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Oh yeahhh, Freeform is moving forward with that killer mermaid pilot.

The Deep, a supernatural drama set in the “mermaid-obsessed sea town of Bristol Cove; everyone’s lives will change when actual mermaids come ashore, causing sides to be taken, loyalties to be tested and a war between man and mermaid to begin.

kevin1025

Banned
Oh yeahhh, Freeform is moving forward with that killer mermaid pilot.

"...and a war between man and mermaid..."

I never knew I wanted this. But I really, really do.

From the description it sounds like everyone knows who the mermaids are. It would be fun if they infiltrated the town and slowly took over, and it became a Body Snatcher type show, always wondering who's a mermaid! Until someone is found flopping on the floor, having been out of water too long. Then there could be some kids investigating and seeing people go into the water at night, so clearly those people must be mermaids! The tension! The terror!

...but yes, this sounds fun, too.

kevin1025

Banned
Just drain the lake like it's Mr. Burns search for the Loch Ness monster, problem solved!

That's in the season finale, where they *gasp* find all of the non-mermaids who went missing over the season. Then they find a hatch in the middle of the lake.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I just have a few episodes of The Night Manager left, after starting it yesterday morning. It's really quite good, as you guys said. I didn't let myself delete it because I figured it would be -- my OCD has just been overwhelmed by the clusterfuck that is my PVR.

The Television Critics Association press tour is starting up this week, so there will be a lot of panels and some news out of LA. It kicks off with Netflix tomorrow.Here's the schedule:
July 27 – Netflix & Hallmark Evening Event
July 28 – PBS
July 29 – PBS
July 30 – HBO/NatGeo/TVOne/EPIX
July 31 – Viacom/AMC Networks/POP/Turner & Turner Evening Event
Aug. 1 – Ovation/Starz/Diversity Panel/Discovery Channels & Discovery Evening Event
Aug. 2 – NBC Universal
Aug. 3 – NBC Universal
Aug. 4 – Disney/ABC
Aug. 5 – You Tube studio visit/Fox Set Visit (Lunch with Last Man on Earth/Life in Pieces)/Hulu Panels/DirecTV Evening Event
Aug. 6 – TCA Business Meeting/Hulu Awards “Spa Day”/Marvel TV cocktail with talent/TCA Awards
Aug. 7 – Amazon/Crackle Cocktail/CW Evening Event with MadTV
Aug. 8 – FOX
Aug. 9 – FX
Aug. 10 – CBS
Aug. 11 – The CW/Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom