• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Variety: Inside the Troubled Production of Baz Luhrmann’s ‘The Get Down,’ Netflix’s Most Expensive Series Yet
Over the two-and-a-half years since the hip-hop-focused project was set up at Netflix, Luhrmann went through two showrunners, numerous writers, and no small amount of strain with producer Sony Pictures Television. Production of the 12-episode season, the first half of which premieres Aug. 12, went well over the original budget of about $7.5 million per episode and wound up costing at least $120 million overall, with New York state tax incentives factored in, according to sources.
I didn't realize they spent that much on it.

berzeli

Banned
Netflix's Vinyl.

Seriously though, at least Vinyl looks great production wise. The latest trailer for The Get Down looked rough.
LpLPpRa.jpg

Reading through that article it sounds like the project Heaven's Gated a bit and this right here:
Luhrmann had initially envisioned the project as a feature but saw its potential to unfold over the long arm of a TV series. Nevertheless, his unfamiliarity with the episodic TV production process showed from the start, according to sources who faulted Luhrmann for failing to heed the counsel of seasoned veterans and for showing a lack of regard for the skills needed to pull off a big-budget drama series.
Makes it sound like it came down to an ego thing. Urgh, I really hope the show doesn't suck.
Huh, every year I expect Turn to not get renewed. Glad that AMC has stuck by the show, but I'll be buggered if I knew why. The ratings never seem good (it even got dropped by HBO Nordic over here due to lack of interest) and it never got a lot of critical acclaim.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I believe in Baz Luhrmann. Everything he touches turns to gold. One of Hollywood's great auteurs.

If you disagree I'll fight you with my gun. It has sword engraved on the side

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Wow, that's shocking. I hadn't been following production news that closely so I had no idea all that was going on.

It's absolutely crazy that there are two 1970s New York-based music themed series this year with budgets of over $100 million dollars.

Mad Men: got a proper ending.
Breaking Bad: got a proper ending.
Rubicon: cancelled after 1 season.
The Walking Dead: will get a proper ending.
The Killing: got a proper ending (on Netflix).
Hell on Wheels: got a proper ending.
Low Winter Sun: cancelled after 1 season.
Turn Washington's Spies: will get a proper ending.
All their newer shows: still on the air (although Feed the Beast deserves to join the 1 season club after next week's finale)

That's a fantastic track record. Good on AMC.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Whoa, what? I had no idea either. I'll have to check it out.
Had no idea until I spontaneously visited IGN and saw the review. The reviewer thought it was
really awful given the score.
That is all I really know about it besides it having a new cast.
Yeah, it was pretty bland. The Game of Thrones sketch got a couple of chuckles out of me, but only because I was impressed by the fact that the writer is either a huge nerd or spent a lot of time on that Westeros Wikia.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm surprised Real Rob got another. Even though Schneider produced and financed the whole thing himself, it seemed like it was a total dud.

It's such a dud that even Netflix won't put "Netflix Original" anywhere on it when you look it up.

Black Mirror in October is wild, especially with those casts and directors! Is it worldwide distribution since it's now a Netflix show?

Edit: Just read the Netflix press release, it's globally, YES!!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yay! At Lady Dynamite getting renewed.

Agreed, really enjoyed season 1 when I "got it". Last few eps were hard on me because I
lost a pupper around the same time as I watched them :(

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Lady Dynamite renewal is great news, although obviously pretty expected as a Netflix show.

Not that it's required before October, but I really need to get around to watching Black Mirror. Too much TV.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Watched the first episode of Bojack. It was ok, I'm going to assume it gets much better as it progresses considering the praise it gets.

kevin1025

Banned
Watched the first episode of Bojack. It was ok, I'm going to assume it fets much better as it progresses considering the praise it gets.

I'm catching up on it now, as well, since the first three episodes never really grabbed me back when it first came out. But now that I'm almost done the first season, it was the fourth and fifth episodes that caught me by surprise and now I'm really liking it. Hopefully the same happens for you!

Lady Dynamite renewal is great news, although obviously pretty expected as a Netflix show.

Not that it's required before October, but I really need to get around to watching Black Mirror. Too much TV.

Space them out a little if you can. Some can be a tad heavy. I wonder where everyone's head spaces will be after potentially six hours of binging in October.

berzeli

Banned
Netflix Renews Will Arnett’s ‘Flaked’ For 2017 Second Season
Netflix has officially renewed the Will Arnett and Mark Chappell-created sitcom Flaked for a second season set to air in 2017. The news of the show’s return was announced earlier tonight on its Facebook page.

In May it was widely reported that Flaked was under consideration for renewal with a reduced order of six episodes (season 1 was eight episodes long). Tonight’s announcement confirms those reports, though the exact number of episodes was not revealed. Netflix did not include Flaked in its announced renewals made earlier today during the streaming service’s TCA presentation.
Huh.

berzeli

Banned
They're really giving everything a second season, eh?

It seems that way.

The Get Down is probably a good candidate for one and done though, especially since:
Every Netflix series so far has been renewed for a second season. What does it take to cancel a show on Netflix? “Relative to what it costs, does it get an audience?,” Sarandos said, listing several factors that play a role, including whether viewers complete a season, what the audience satisfaction and social media engagement/buzz is and what the critical response is.
If that show doesn't break out in a big way, I can't see them renewing it.

berzeli

Banned
The BFI posted their (wonderfully eclectic) The best British TV of 2016 so far

War & Peace (BBC1)
How to Die: Simon’s Choice (BBC2)
A Midsummer Night’s Dream (CBeebies)
The Secret Life of a Bus Garage (ITV)
The People Next Door (Channel 4)
My Name Is… and I’m an Alcoholic (Channel 5)
Mum (BBC2)
Behind Closed Doors (BBC1)
Hillsborough (BBC2)
The Night Manager (BBC1)

Individual favourites:
Line of Duty series 3 (BBC2)
Two Doors Down (BBC2)
Dunblane – Our Story (BBC2)
Peaky Blinders series 3 (BBC2)
Siblings series 2 (BBC3)
The Durrells (ITV)
Hinterland series 3 (BBC)
The Life of Brian Pern: 45 Years of Prog and Roll (BBC4)
Happy Valley series 2 (BBC1)
Murdered by My Father (BBC3)
Children on the Frontline: the Escape (Channel 4)
The Secret History of My Family (BBC2)
Flowers (Channel 4)
Stewart Lee’s Comedy Vehicle (BBC2)
The Hollow Crown (BBC2)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
HBO reconfirmed a bunch of stuff for 2017:

Animals (comedy)
Barry (comedy)
Big Little Lies (miniseries)
Crashing (comedy)
The Deuce (drama)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (movie)
The Leftovers (drama)
Wizard of Lies (movie)
Young Pope (miniseries)

I don't see any real rhyme or reason to this selection in terms of expected timeframes. Stuff like Girls, Silicon Valley and Veep are obviously missing.

G0523

HBO reconfirmed a bunch of stuff for 2017:

Animals (comedy)
Barry (comedy)
Big Little Lies (miniseries)
Crashing (comedy)
The Deuce (drama)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (movie)
The Leftovers (drama)
Wizard of Lies (movie)
Young Pope (miniseries)

I don't see any real rhyme or reason to this selection in terms of expected timeframes. Stuff like Girls, Silicon Valley and Veep are obviously missing.
They're probably still trying to figure out where to schedule Silicon Valley and Veep since Game of Thrones season 7 will be starting later than usual. They've all aired at the same time before.

I'm making good progress on my PVR. Bates Motel, Supernatural, The Night Manager, The Path...all caught up on or watched through in the last couple of weeks or so.

I just have one episode left of The People vs. OJ Simpson, then I need to focus on watching 3-10 of Preacher, the first three episodes of Mr. Robot (the best show on TV) and The Night Of. And the last 5 episodes of Stranger Things.

I need to have the PVR replaced, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom