• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
Thomas Gibson has been suspended from Criminal Minds for kicking a staff member.
http://tvline.com/2016/08/11/thomas-gibson-criminal-minds-suspended-season-12-hotchner/

Super weird that he's suspended for 1-2 episodes, which, if anything, could hinder the producers and the writers more, trying to fit that in with what they have already written or broken story-wise.

But I imagine this will lead to him being weaned off the show, especially with Aisha Tyler and Adam Rodriguez being added to this season.

Patryn

Super weird that he's suspended for 1-2 episodes, which, if anything, could hinder the producers and the writers more, trying to fit that in with what they have already written or broken story-wise.

But I imagine this will lead to him being weaned off the show, especially with Aisha Tyler and Adam Rodriguez being added to this season.

They say that they're re-evaluating his future on the show. So he's toast.

ZeroX03

Banned

Probably a lot easier for a procedural to do than most other shows.

berzeli

Banned
Matt Zoller Seitz just dropped this very long, very interesting article:
TV’s Serial-Drama Slump - Longform dramas ushered in the Golden Age of Television. So why is it so hard to get one right in 2016?
In he age of Peak TV, there are more shows to watch than any human could keep up with, and more ways in which to watch them. The shows are more diverse in style and tone than ever, and you’re more likely to see a woman or person of color in a lead role. The lines between comedy and drama, hour-long and half hour have blurred, producing dramas that are funnier than some comedies, and sitcoms so confounding and dire that I recently labeled them Comedies in Theory. The sight of the medium evolving is a show unto itself.

But every revolution has casualties. In this one, it’s the hour-long, serialized drama that unveils its story over multiple seasons, and that fueled the so-called Golden Age of serious-minded, scripted TV; a form that, until recently, moved the needle on TV as an art form and dominated the cultural conversation. When discussing the serial drama in 2016, you can feel a sense of fatigue settling in.

Not since 2013’s Orange Is the New Black has a longform drama caught fire in its first season and sustained itself through the end of its second (and that show is, in many ways, as much a Comedy in Theory as it is a serialized drama). Three of the buzziest new dramas in the past year — Mr. Robot, UnREAL, and Empire — exploded onto screens without much advance warning and built loyal audiences and acclaim overnight, but they’re foundering in their sophomore outings, generating discussion that’s mainly about whether they’re actually good.
There is plenty in there which I agree with, some that I don't agree with, some of which only makes sense if you disregard any and all TV outside of the US; but it is definitely worth a read.

I'll leave you with some choice quotes (go read the entire thing though).
As the anthology and dramedy were ascending in the early 2010s, the serialized drama was simultaneously beginning to stagnate and repeat itself. Psychologically as well as aesthetically, many dramas are still stuck in the post-Sopranos mode. It’s only in hindsight that we can see how formulaic this supposedly radical, rule-breaking sort of narrative could be. There was a lot of variation in the Golden Age drama in terms of setting, but many core elements remained the same. The format was built on multi-season mega-movies about antiheroes like Tony Soprano, Don Draper, and Walter White, navigating treacherous worlds with upside-down moral codes and living in seasons-long dread of having their “respectable” public facades ripped away to expose the gangster, meth dealer, imposter, etc., lurking beneath. The shows were often funny but just as often dire, tense, and violent. And the main characters (and often many supporting characters, too) tended to be visionary, violent, or both, morphing from hero to antihero to flat-out bad guy and back, inspiring arguments along the way about whether the show’s writers were actually decrying the behavior they showed us or reveling in it.
The best new comedies are distinguished not just by their relative brevity (which makes them more digestible than dramas) but also by their diversity of subject matter, casting, and tone. There's just more happening, creatively as well as sociologically, in the comedy and Comedy in Theory than in the drama right now. Put Rick and Morty alongside Girls, or Veep next to Baskets, and you'll have almost no points of comparison, which is not necessarily what would happen if you compared any two dramas currently running. The variation in worldview is greater, too: You're more likely to see female and nonwhite points of view placed at the center of the narrative on a half-hour comedy than a drama. That these shows are tackling such compelling subject matter, often in unexpected ways, makes them the most exciting kind of scripted program, perhaps even more so than the anthology series, where the innovations often have to do with form.
FX is the home to some of the most interesting work in the newish, longform anthology: a series whose unit of measure is the season rather than the episode, and that tells new stories each season, with entirely new characters played by members of the series’ repertory company. The anthology reached its cultural zenith this year with FX’s half-satirical, half sorrowful The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story. It was as entertaining as it was surprising and disturbing, and now seems a lock for most Emmy categories in which it’s eligible.
Midway through the anthology’s maiden voyage on FX, other networks decided to cash in on its success by green-lighting their own limited-run, star-studded true-crime one-offs and anthologies. The creators of two excellent, stand-alone mini-series — Starz’s The Girlfriend Experience (the rare 30-minute drama) and HBO’s The Night Of — are even considering reworking them as longform anthologies that explore the same structure or concept, but with new settings and characters.

The anthology effect can be seen in serialized dramas as well. Both Halt and Catch Fire and The Leftovers reinvigorated themselves by executing what might be called “soft reboots,” restructuring the narrative and focus significantly, or uprooting the core cast to different locations, with new central characters.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Y'all should watch Last Chance U, first episode was great. It's like real life Friday Night Lights :3

More Showtime news from the TCA event:

Homeland Season 6 will premiere Sunday, January 15 at 9 PM and Season 2 of Billions debuts Sunday, February 19 at 10 PM.

They also picked up "Purity" based on Jonathan Franzen and starring Daniel Craig as well as "Guerilla" from John Ridley and starring Idris Elba.

On Purity:
“Purity” is described as a morally complex story of youthful idealism, extreme loyalty and cold-blooded murder. The book — and TV series — tells intersecting stories of different people of different ages and backgrounds ranging East Berlin to the Bolivian jungle, East Harlem walk-ups and the California Redwoods. The book was published in September 2015.
On Guerilla:
A love story set in one of the most explosive political times in U.K. history, the miniseries tells the story of a 1970s London couple who liberates a political prisoner and forms a radical underground cell. The group targets the Black Power Desk, a true-life counter-intelligence unit within Special Branch dedicated to crushing all forms of black activism. Though set against a backdrop of social upheaval and activism, the story focuses on the relationship between the two characters at its center.

berzeli

Banned
More Showtime news from the TCA event:

They also picked up "Purity" based on Jonathan Franzen and starring Daniel Craig as well as "Guerilla" from John Ridley and starring Idris Elba.
Two months ago:
Four months ago:
:p

berzeli

Banned
Nearly missed this amongst all the other Showtime shenanigans at TCA

Stephen Colbert To Anchor Live Election Night Special For Showtime
“The Circus has way more impact than I expected,” Showtime chief David Nevins said this afternoon at TCA of his election-cycle docu-series, by way of explaining his Colbert News. “That’s that’s what made me first start thinking about” election night coverage, “and who was the talent to do that. Colbert was the obvious one,” he said, noting Colbert’s buzzy live DNC and RNC broadcasts.

Could be neat. Hope that it will be streamable somehow.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
PSA: Everyone watch The Katering Show on YouTube. It's a hysterical fake cooking show from Australia and episodes are only like <10 minutes long.

berzeli

Banned
They say that they're re-evaluating his future on the show. So he's toast.
Yup!

Thomas Gibson Dismissed From ‘Criminal Minds’ After On-Set Altercation
Thomas Gibson’s suspension from Criminal Minds has been made permanent. The producers of the long-running CBS crime drama have move to terminate Gibson’s contract following a physical altercation on the set of the show, produced by ABC Studios and CBS TV Studios, with ABC Studios running lead.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Nearly missed this amongst all the other Showtime shenanigans at TCA

Stephen Colbert To Anchor Live Election Night Special For Showtime

Could be neat. Hope that it will be streamable somehow.

Oh, I just might watch this. Is it regular Colbert or his Colbert persona? I'd prefer the former, I find him infinitely more interesting and entertaining than his Colbert Report alter ego.

Been trying to watch unReal Season 1 on Hulu. Everyone going apeshit about how bad the S2 finale was pushed me to see what was up. I kinda dig it, it's crossing over into being too soapy and on the nose for me already so I'm not sure it's for my tastes.

And ayyyyy. My dude Greg got kicked off Criminal Minds for a shin kick hahaha.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Been trying to watch unReal Season 1 on Hulu. Everyone going apeshit about how bad the S2 finale was pushed me to see what was up. I kinda dig it, it's crossing over into being too soapy and on the nose for me already so I'm not sure it's for my tastes.

The show was "good" for the first half of the first season, but it quickly spiraled into a soapy mess and never managed to recover. The amount of love the entire first season receives, especially compared to the comparable-in-quality-yet-reviled second season, is boggling. The show was never Great TV.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The show was "good" for the first half of the first season, but it quickly spiraled into a soapy mess and never managed to recover. The amount of love the entire first season receives, especially compared to the comparable-in-quality-yet-reviled second season, is boggling. The show was never Great TV.
With peak TV, people are quick to declare new shows the second coming and then abandon them for the next new hotness. Rinse and repeat. Lots of inflated impressions based on initial excitement and then later the more grounded evaluation of a series feels like an even bigger 'drop' in quality. It's a cycle of excess hype and then coming down to Earth.

That's not say some shows aren't finding problems in subsequent seasons, but I think there are a lot of exaggerated reactions to shows at all stages nowadays.

Note: I haven't watched any of unReal. Speaking broadly.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I've avoided Mr Robot just because of how hyped up it has become. Maybe I'd love it, but it looks like a flavor of the month from where I'm standing.

House of Cards is another one. If I really sit back and think about it, the show isn't half as smart as it presents itself to be. But the acting and production values give it the veneer of an intelligent drama. So I enjoy it, despite how disposable it is.

Edit: Where I'm at with unReal right now, I respect that it isn't super over the top with the cliffhangers and reveals. I hate shows that go for a "Everything will be changed" moment nearly every episode. You have to build to that or the twists don't mean anything.

TheOddOne

animation1vkubh.gif

PSA: Everyone watch The Katering Show on YouTube. It's a hysterical fake cooking show from Australia and episodes are only like <10 minutes long.
<3

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
With peak TV, people are quick to declare new shows the second coming and then abandon them for the next new hotness. Rinse and repeat. Lots of inflated impressions based on initial excitement and then later the more grounded evaluation of a series feels like an even bigger 'drop' in quality. It's a cycle of excess hype and then coming down to Earth.

That's not say some shows aren't finding problems in subsequent seasons, but I think there are a lot of exaggerated reactions to shows at all stages nowadays.

Note: I haven't watched any of unReal. Speaking broadly.

Well put!

wheres my Ratsky report on The Get Down?

I haven't seen it yet! Soon though, hopefully.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Stranger Things season 2 backlash will be True Detective levels, you heard it here first.

I liked TD S2 :(

TripOpt55

I see someone asked about it, so I'll say that I'd definitely recommend Last Chance U. I just started it yesterday afternoon and ended up watching the whole thing by the end of the night. The junior college program they follow for the documentary makes for a really cool angle. The same for how they focus on the academic side of things with the advisor woman. And then there is just the stroke of luck that the filmmakers decided to capture the season they did. There are just some crazy things that happen. They must have been thrilled because it isn't the kind of thing you can really expect. Now, football is like my favorite thing, so I guess your interest in the sport will probably affect how much you enjoy it, but if the concept of the doc interests you then definitely give it a go. It was really, really great.

berzeli

Banned
Half an hour into the first episode of The Get Down.

It really is Netflix's Vinyl. Except Luhrmann isn't half the filmmaker Scorsese is.
The writing is mediocre. The editing is atrocious; it tries to inject the frenetic Baz Luhrmann energy but ends up being confusing and horribly mismatched to the what is actually happening on screen. The cinematography (which usually is the one point where I always like Baz's films) is average - at best. The CGI is just so bad and often unnecessary.

I'm not even sure I'll finish the first episode.
Fuck I never thought I would compare something unfavourably to Vinyl, but you know at least HBO got competent looking show in terms of production values for their $100 million.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ratsky-approved TV recommendation: The Girlfriend Experience is quite good, not at all excessive like most of Starz's shows. It's beautiful to look at, lots of Tabris-inspired glass apartment shots. Love the desaturated palette. It's an interesting psychological study. The score, while sparing, is nice. And actually it moves at a great pace with little filler, since it is (and this is extremely rare at this point) a 30 minute drama. 13x30 is not a big commitment, I watched the first half last night while putting away clothes and doing the dishes and I watched the second half this morning while doing some coding.

Pachimari

Ratsky-approved TV recommendation: The Girlfriend Experience is quite good, not at all excessive like most of Starz's shows. It's beautiful to look at, lots of Tabris-inspired glass apartment shots. Love the desaturated palette. It's an interesting psychological study. The score, while sparing, is nice. And actually it moves at a great pace with little filler, since it is (and this is extremely rare at this point) a 30 minute drama. 13x30 is not a big commitment, I watched the first half last night while putting away clothes and doing the dishes and I watched the second half this morning while doing some coding.
30 minutes only? Woah I'll check out the pilot tonight! Have always wanted to watch it. I thought it was a romance though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
30 minutes only? Woah I'll check out the pilot tonight! Have always wanted to watch it. I thought it was a romance though.

It is most definitely not a romance. The tone is more cynical than the film's tone, certainly. It is a part-thriller part psychological drama. I should also say, again, this is a show about a sex worker so obviously it's MA-17 or whatever material.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Half an hour into the first episode of The Get Down.

It really is Netflix's Vinyl. Except Luhrmann isn't half the filmmaker Scorsese is.
The writing is mediocre. The editing is atrocious; it tries to inject the frenetic Baz Luhrmann energy but ends up being confusing and horribly mismatched to the what is actually happening on screen. The cinematography (which usually is the one point where I always like Baz's films) is average - at best. The CGI is just so bad and often unnecessary.

I'm not even sure I'll finish the first episode.
Fuck I never thought I would compare something unfavourably to Vinyl, but you know at least HBO got competent looking show in terms of production values for their $100 million.

I feel the opposite way: I thought Vinyl's pilot was visually lazy, thematically uninspired, and just bland in every regard. It was like watching a poor imitation of Scorsese's greatist hits.

Vinyl's pilot may have been more cohesive and competent, but The Get Down's, while wildly uneven just like every single one of Baz Luhrmann's other projects, was far more exciting and interesting and just plain weird. I found it eminently watchable.

I also found The Get Down's approach to the romanticization of 70s New York more palatable than Vinyl's - larger than life quasi-fairy tale vs. Dead Serious Adult Prestige Drama.

Ratsky-approved TV recommendation: The Girlfriend Experience is quite good. It's beautiful to look at, lots of Tabris-inspired glass apartment shots. Love the desaturated palette. It's an interesting psychological study. The score, while sparing, is nice. And actually it moves at a great pace with little filler, since it is (and this is extremely rare at this point) a 30 minute drama.

I liked what I saw, but I never got past the third episode. I'm not sure why. I hope to get back to it at some point.

not at all excessive like most of Starz's shows

I don't see how Starz is any more excessive than any of the other premium cablers...

I watched the first half last night while putting away clothes and doing the dishes and I watched the second half this morning while doing some coding.

"watched"

:p

berzeli

Banned
I feel the opposite way: I thought Vinyl's pilot was visually lazy, thematically uninspired, and just bland in every regard. It was like watching a poor imitation of Scorsese's greatist hits.

Vinyl's pilot may have been more cohesive and competent, but The Get Down's, while wildly uneven just like every single one of Baz Luhrmann's other projects, was far more exciting and interesting and just plain weird. I found it eminently watchable.

I also found The Get Down's approach to the romanticization of 70s New York more palatable than Vinyl's - larger than life quasi-fairy tale vs. Dead Serious Adult Prestige Drama.
I fully agree with your assertion of Vinyl's pilot.

But I just did not find the first 30 minutes even remotely interesting or exciting. It did improve (mostly, it also did the wholly unneeded, shitty crime subplot like Vinyl) after that, but damn those 30 first minutes are dreadful. The magical realism didn't make it better than Vinyl, just different.

After finishing the entire episode I still find it to be Netflix's Vinyl, an overindulgent bore fundamentally broken in the narrative basics.

Pachimari

It is most definitely not a romance. The tone is more cynical than the film's tone, certainly. It is a part-thriller part psychological drama. I should also say, again, this is a show about a sex worker so obviously it's MA-17 or whatever material.

Okay, that still sounds interesting to me. But I might want to check out the movie first, even though they're unrelated.

Are there any good mafia shows out there? I'm kind of in a mafia mood, and is currently playing Mafia on the PC, and will soon watch The Godfather, but it would be nice with some mafia stuff on tv too. Are The Sopranos that kind of show? What else is there?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Only surprise is how long it actually lasted, but the Nightly Show is canned after this week

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/larry-wilmore-nightly-show-canceled-919407

I dunno, I'm kinda surprised

I feel like The Nightly Show was a little too dour and not funny enough. Jon Stewart's Daily Show did a great job toeing that line, but Larry Wilmore crosses into the depressing a bit too much. Also, the panel that takes up the last third of the show doesn't really work usually.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Grizzlyjin

Everyone will get snatched up, they got good folks working there. Bee, Noah, Oliver, and Wilmore were all running in the same lane. I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

Not too surprising. It never really picked up momentum.

I think there is a lot of great talent there, though. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes another one of those shows where everyone involved goes on to better things eventually.

Eh, I'm not really so sure about that, I feel like the talent there was on the panels and were just awful all the time. I'm sure they will go on to other shows, but the writing for the show was abysmal and they had 3 of the main writers - Rory, Jordan, Robin - on the panels pretty much all the time. The show had something like 14 writers too, which seems crazy.

re: mafia shows, i'd watch Making of the Mob. Two seasons so far, season 1 is New York and season 2 is chicago I believe. I've only watched half of season 1 but it was quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom