• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluth54

I dunno, I'm kinda surprised

I feel like The Nightly Show was a little too dour and not funny enough. Jon Stewart's Daily Show did a great job toeing that line, but Larry Wilmore crosses into the depressing a bit too much. Also, the panel that takes up the last third of the show doesn't really work usually.
The panel at the end was justawful. I had no idea why they thought that was a good idea. The rest of the show was just okay and not even as good as the current run of the Daily Show. I can't say I'm surprised it got cancelled.

berzeli

Banned
‘Mr. Robot’ Renewed For Season 3 By USA
Midway through its second-season run, USA Network’s drama series Mr. Robot has been renewed for a third season to air in 2017.
Ratings for the hacker drama have been challenging. A breakout in its first season, Mr. Robot has seen its linear ratings decline in Season 2, most recently hitting a new Live+same day lows of 572, 000 viewers and a 0.22 adults 18-49 last week. The series has seen a solid DVR gains (the July 13 S2 premiere had a 116% viewership jump and a 119% 18-49 surge over its L+SD numbers), and it has done pretty well in multi-platform/on-demand viewing. Above all, despite its modest overall ratings performance, Mr. Robot has become a prestige series and a calling card for an edgier, younger-skewing USA brand.

Pachimari

I only have to finish up Supergirl, The Vampire Diaries and The Originals, and then I can continue my watch of Game of Thrones and start up some new shows and be ready for the new season.

SO MUCH TELEVISION!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So I'm surprised there hasn't been any real "leaks" of pilots or am I just not playing much attention this Fall?

I remember watching the Supergirl, Blindspot, Lucifer, and Minority Report pilots in June or July of last year. I haven't seen anything this year. Then again, I'm trying to think of new high profile genre shows that someone would bother leaking.

beat

NBC Powerless might as well be scrapped now and get it over with

I like the premise, I like DC comics, I like at least some of the actors...

I have no faith in the showrunner, because his last show was a romcom sitcom that was dreadfully unfunny.

Edit: oh, he stepped down? Hmm.

Pachimari

I'm super excited about Powerless, exactly because it isn't a superhero we follow, but rather see it from normal folks point of view, and I won't ever deny Vanessa Hudgens. It having small references too is just sweet, so I can't wait for it to premiere.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Over a month after that "Which Drama Series May Have Already Been Cancelled?" blind item from Michael Ausiello and there's still been no indication as to which series it might be. We know that it's a "higher-profile drama series" that is "perceived to be something of a hit" and "is still relatively young in age" with an in demand cast.

Many guessed that he was talking about a show currently airing, but I believe most of the series that fit the description have all been renewed.

The most popular guesses were:

Zoo (recently renewed)
The Last Ship (recently renwed)
Ray Donovan (recently renewed)
Mr. Robot (recently renewed)
Bloodline (recently renewed)
UnREAL (was already renewed, but the current season ended and they didn't retroactively cancel it, so)
12 Monkeys (recently renewed)

So, it seems as though he was talking about a show that hasn't premiered yet. Any more guesses?

Halt and Catch Fire? Masters of Sex? The Strain? Something on broadcast?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Over a month after that "Which Drama Series May Have Already Been Cancelled?" blind item from Michael Ausiello and there's still been no indication as to which series it might be. We know that it's a "higher-profile drama series" that is "perceived to be something of a hit" and "is still relatively young in age" with an in demand cast.

Many guessed that he was talking about a show currently airing, but I believe most of the series that fit the description have all been renewed.

The most popular guesses were:

Zoo (recently renewed)
The Last Ship (recently renwed)
Ray Donovan (recently renewed)
Mr. Robot (recently renewed)
Bloodline (recently renewed)
UnREAL (was already renewed, but the current season ended and they didn't retroactively cancel it, so)
12 Monkeys (recently renewed)

So, it seems as though he was talking about a show that hasn't premiered yet. Any more guesses?

Halt and Catch Fire? Masters of Sex? The Strain? Something on broadcast?
Or one of the qualifiers about the show is less than accurate. I'll go ahead and cross my fingers for Masters of Sex. Let everyone on there move on to other things since it's become a mess.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Don't know what you guys are talking about, there hasn't been a worthy DC show on the air since Justice League Unlimited.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Marvel and DC stan's really just need to get together and decide upon another comic book company to pick on.

How about Valiant? They've got nothing.

TDLink

Arrow is better than Daredevil though

I mean neither are good but yeah

I could see an argument being made if you used Flash instead of Arrow, but outside of one season (which was the second) Arrow has been pretty bad. It's definitely not better than Daredevil.

Let's not turn this thread into a Marvel vs DC pissing match though. There's plenty of threads where that goes on.

Sober

There is no reality where this is true. If Trump wins, he'll use this last season of Arrow to torture terrorists.

I could see an argument being made if you used Flash instead of Arrow, but outside of one season (which was the second) Arrow has been pretty bad. It's definitely not better than Daredevil.

Let's not turn this thread into a Marvel vs DC pissing match though. There's plenty of threads where that goes on.
I'd rather take Arrow's soapishness over DD's grimdark for the sake of grimdarkness' sake. That's just like, my opinion, man.

Also Arrow had the least worst ninjas.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
i mean alternatively the networks could just cancel all the comic book shows

p.s. there once was a time where i was a good enough contributor here to become a moderator. that was back before annualized comic book movies

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Freeform has put in development Motherland

Motherland is described as an epic military fantasy set in an alternate America where witches ended their persecution 300 years ago by cutting a deal with the U.S. government to fight for their country. The project is set in contemporary times where young women conscript at 18 and receive basic training in combat magic at a base called Fort Salem. The show follows three young women from basic into early deployment. In this world, the traditional roles of gender and power are flipped. Women are on the front lines fighting looming terrorist threats that are familiar to our world, but their tactics and weapons are supernatural.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
witches are stupid

G1M5Fk9.gif

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They really need to start connecting the universes of these witches and mermaid shows.

It's 2016 and I can't watch anything that isn't part of a continuity.

I feel like The Nightly Show was a little too dour and not funny enough. Jon Stewart's Daily Show did a great job toeing that line, but Larry Wilmore crosses into the depressing a bit too much. Also, the panel that takes up the last third of the show doesn't really work usually.

At least part of this can be chalked up to circumstance - being a black man in America is probably not a whole lot of fun right now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Most other countries don't share Americas's fear of boobs.
I mean the only Canadian show I watch is 19-2 and while that has lots of sex, it's all "tasteful" in terms of clever use of angles. And it's on cable.

I guess my other question would be how you insert commercials into an episode of Game of Thrones? I have to assume it would take a 90 minute time slot without cuts. Which I guess in the summer when there's nothing else to air, probably isn't that big an imposition since you could just slap an episode of Big Bang Theory on right after or something.

berzeli

Banned
Participant Media Shuts Down Cable TV Network Pivot, Series’ Future In Question
Participant Media is shutting down its TV cable network Pivot, after a re-evaluation of their core business. Pivot TV launched in 2013. Parcipant’s CEO David Linde said, “As the media landscape changes, we have been evaluating how we fulfill our mission to entertain and inspire social action around the world’s most pressing issues. That process has led us to the decision to move away from owning and operating a cable network. While this conclusion was not an easy one, it is ultimately in the best interest of all our stakeholders, and allows us to allocate more resources toward the production of compelling content across all platforms.”
Participant cited the growing competitive environment and “the wave of consolidation” among cable TV distributors as another reason for its exit from owning and operating a TV cable network, which obviously refers to the recent $4.4billion acquisition of Starz by Lionsgate.
Ok, so I know most of you are like "wtf is Pivot? Isn't that the thing the big racist Oompa Loompa just won't do?"
But it is also home to Please Like Me, which is fucking excellent. And they wrapped season 4 nine days ago
The move puts into question what will happen to Please Like Me, Josh Thomas’ coming-of-age comedy from Australia, which just got the greenlight in July for Season 4. Asked if it would be shopped elsewhere, a spokeswoman for the company would not comment.
Someone needs to pick it up. :(

berzeli

Banned
I assume ABC (AU), the owners of the show, will find another US partner (Netflix picked up Scrotal Recall Lovesick from England that I think has a pretty similar vibe to Please Like Me and would be a good fit).

also, see the discussion we were having 2 pages ago about Tim Goodman's article about it not being viable for low-tier cable networks to continue and what that means for TV.
I really hope so. I adore the hell out of the show, and if I remember correctly season 2 only happened because of Pivot. Amazon have picked it up for UK so would make some sense for them to pick up US as well.

Yeah. I can't say I'm surprised to see Pivot go. I did like Flavorwire's headline "Pivot, Channel that Airs ‘Please Like Me’ and Apparently Other Things, Is Shuttering" which encapsulates very succinctly why they shuttered. You can't survive with just one good show.
And I should have linked to the Variety article which originated the story since it has more detail (albeit of the "water is wet" kind).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom