• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL

UbzhHM9.jpg
Heh. Funny joke.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hart to Hart: NBC Remaking Classic Series With Gay Crime-Solving Couple

Hart to Hart — the mystery drama, starring Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers, which ran on ABC from 1979 to 1984 — is being remade with a gay couple at the forefront, our sister site Deadline reports.

NBC’s Hart is described as a “modern and sexy retelling” of the original, starring “by-the-book” attorney Jonathan Hart and “free-spirited investigator” Dan Hartman. The couple will struggle to balance their love of crime-solving with their love of one another.

EDIT: Cast Eric McCormack and Sean Hayes as the Harts so they can do crossovers with The Mysteries of Laura! :O

Bladenic

This is the final season of the League?

Unfortunately. One of my favorite shows. So easily rewatchable too. Will miss the whole crew (minus Rafi and Dirty Randy, Rafi appeared way too often later on). But it had a great run. Plus I feel like it's not being cancelled so much as the cast are ready to move on.

Unfortunately. One of my favorite shows. So easily rewatchable too. Will miss the whole crew (minus Rafi and Dirty Randy, Rafi appeared way too often later on). But it had a great run. Plus I feel like it's not being cancelled so much as the cast are ready to move on.

Too much Rafi? He's one of the best characters on television.

Don't let other people make fun of you or tell you to let go of the past over this - I'm still bitter about UPN cancelling Homeboys from Outer Space after a single season all those years ago. I don't care, I'm still free - you can't take the sky from me.

Well I'm still bitter about Sci-fy channel (as it was called at the time) cancelling Farscape, so I understand.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Law & Order’ Live Reality Series From Dick Wolf Greenlighted By NBC

The network has given the green light to Law & Order: You The Jury, a one-hour courtroom docu-drama series from Law & Order boss Dick Wolf and reality producer Magical Elves.

Law & Order: You The Jury puts the power of the law directly into viewers’ hands with real life legal cases. The audience serves as the jury and will not only determine the verdict, but will also be able to vote throughout the trial on the veracity of witnesses and persuasiveness of evidence.

What could go wrong?

I was going over the new series thread and started predicting which shows are going to get canceled during or after the first season, because why not!

Minority Report (why does Fox even bother with sci fi shows...)
Rosewood
The Player
Quantico
Grandfathered
Code Black
Dr. Ken
Truth Be Told
Wicked City
Chicago Med

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
At times like these, you gotta wonder what's happening in the alternate universe where, decades ago, NBC passed on L&O but picked up the ninja series Wolf had pitched the same year.

All I know is that I would like to live in this alternate universe.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stuff I think will probably get at least 2 seasons:
Chicago Med
Limitless
Scream Queens
The Muppets
50/50 on Grandfathered
50/50 on The Real O'Neals

There's nothing else debuting on the big 4 I'd give better than even chances of being renewed to.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I recommend that everyone read this article. He rips everything to shreds:

This is my fifth autumn on the TV beat, and in previous years, even as cable demanded more and more of my attention and respect, I was always struck by the wild swings, the spectacular hits, and the far more common spectacular misses of the Big Four. There was something noble and, occasionally, inspiring about the way in which they strove to stave off extinction or, worse, irrelevance. Sometimes their attempts were legitimately impressive; other times they were horrific. Some even involved actual dinosaurs. But even amid inevitable carnage, every fall carried with it a flicker of passion, a resilient, dark-denying spark that said “I am alive!” Or at least, “I am worth loathing!”

No longer. I don’t even need a word to sum up the fall 2015 broadcast slate, not when an emoticon will do: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. This is the sorriest collection of recycled ideas, neutered groupthink, and depressing mediocrity I’ve ever seen. You have to understand: I’m not just saying nothing is good. I’m also saying nothing is even the slightest bit compelling. Or interesting. Or unique. Or even bad in a Put On Your Sunglasses, David Caruso, and Take a Look at That Car Crash sort of way. These shows are the empty, halfhearted shrugs of decaying empires that have no idea what viewers want anymore — and have committed the full force of their not-inconsiderable assets to proving it.

I mean, damn.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are we at a point in criticism where we just give up on using words and start using emoticons. lol

(I find this interesting because this is what anime has been like for the past few years. Except it happens every four months.)

Stuff I think will probably get at least 2 seasons:
Chicago Med
Limitless
Scream Queens
The Muppets
50/50 on Grandfathered
50/50 on The Real O'Neals

There's nothing else debuting on the big 4 I'd give better than even chances of being renewed to.

Chicago Med looks so fucking generic that it's borderline offensive.

Malvingt2

oh

Supergirl (CBS)
Monday, October 26
8 p.m.

Everything I wrote above about CBS? Feel free to cut and paste. There is nothing particularly novel about Supergirl: The show itself goes to great pains to introduce its titular hero as a slightly less famous footnote to her stronger, bullet-stopping cousin. The breezy tone, provided by executive producer Greg Berlanti, is a familiar melánge of the CW’s caped whimsy and ABC’s you-go-girl verve. Even so, there’s enough to like (or at least tolerate) to recommend it. As Kara Danvers, a shy Kryptonian more interested in leaping the corporate ladder than tall buildings, Melissa Benoist is bright and winning. Grey’s Anatomy’s Chyler Leigh and Homeland’s David Harewood make good impressions as Kara’s adopted sister and an alien-hating government official, respectively. Between Kara’s busy work life (featuring Calista Flockhart as Meryl Streep as Anna Wintour in The Devil Wears Prada) and her burgeoning superhero career, there’s plenty of material to fill multiple seasons. Do I have any interest in watching another episode? I do not. Does the thought of doing so weaken me, like Kryptonite? Not particularly. Welcome to 2015!

damn!!

Sober

Unlike video game critics people don't get ostracized if they don't like something that doesn't fit their tastes or has different criteria to what they think entertains or impresses them.

Imagine if even one games writer wrote a similar article that the holiday release 2015 games were all going to be disappointing, GAF would riot.

Personally for Quantico and most other shows I'm wait and see.

mm04

Well, not every new show can start off like Mr. Robot. I expect that some will improve after some time, but will they already be doomed by then?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Unlike video game critics people don't get ostracized if they don't like something that doesn't fit their tastes or has different criteria to what they think entertains or impresses them.

Andy Greenwald got a lot of flak for not liking True Detective season one, so it's not like it doesn't happen, but yeah it's nowhere near as bad as with videogame critics.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
TV shows take longer to be determined amazing in part because of the serialization factor, and by that point, critics who didn't like them initially are less likely to revisit and write anything. Most people don't anticipate pilots in such a way as believing the ensuing show is inherently beyond critique, unlike fully formed singular releases like AAA games or superhero movies that inspire petty Internet revolts against any who dare ruin perfect Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic scores.

Nobility

Banned
Andy was vicious.

That being said, I like to give at least 6-7 episodes to hold out hope that viewers can project a future for a television show.

I haven't seen any show that has grabbed my full attention this fall season.

Essentially, tell me what I need to watch GAF TV Elite.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Imagine if even one games writer wrote a similar article that the holiday release 2015 games were all going to be disappointing, GAF would riot.

Personally for Quantico and most other shows I'm wait and see.

I feel like the video game community is more reactive to negative criticism, even more so than the film or TV community. It's especially weird to see people defend things they've literally never even played before. Imagine if a reviewer gave the next Zelda game a 7/10. That's technically a respectable score, but people would freak out. If that happens with a TV show or movie, the reaction is usually more of a "Aww, that's too bad." There are outliers, but it is strange.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I feel like the video game community is more reactive to negative criticism, even more so than the film or TV community. It's especially weird to see people defend things they've literally never even played before. Imagine if a reviewer gave the next Zelda game a 7/10. That's technically a respectable score, but people would freak out. If that happens with a TV show or movie, the reaction is usually more of a "Aww, that's too bad." There are outliers, but it is strange.
The more money someone is planning on spending on something, the more they need to believe in its high quality.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is literally a nothing paragraph of nonsense:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2015/09/16/the-muppets-tv-show-review/

A Stupid Incapable of Understanding The English Language or Television or Puppets said:
By taking these creatures and turning them into “real” people, the only way to make them funny becomes having them do outlandish things. The only problem is they’re inherently outlandish just by existing, so everything they do just feels tame and lifeless by comparisson. For what might be considered a funny bit on a show starring human beings, there’s little humor to come out of a puppet dealing with the struggles of parenthood and career advancement. This isn’t The Office or Modern Family, it’s The Muppets, but you’d never know it by what’s put on display in The Muppets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom