• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 is looking to be great for Horror Games

Occam

Looking forward to several of these. 2014 was pretty weak on the horror front, except for Evil Within.

Thanks for the thread!

The new Alone in the Dark game looks and sounds horrible. How long are they going to drag that franchise through the mud before someone gets it right?

Awesome list, lots of games to lok forward to. Tho I'd take a few out, Dying Light and Let it Die, Roam are horror? Most interested in Until Dawn, Soma, Routine, Kodoku and Fatal Frame if it makes it out in the west.

I wonder how much of a horror influence The Order: 1886 will end up having. That part set in the hospital that was shown was pretty tense.

Anung

Un Rama
Subbed so I can remember them all. I'm glad the steady increase in horror games seems to be coming to a head this year.

Lagamorph

I hope the genuinely scary ones have an easy difficulty option.

I'm a complete pansy when it comes to playing horror games alone.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wow didn't even know about 90% of these games. Most are on PC though so I don't think I'll be able to play most of them though.

More have console releases than we've seen in the last 10 years of the genre, but PC is definitely the current age platform for horror.

Killing Floor 2, The Forest, the Resident Evil games, Grave, and several more of these are coming to console, though.

I'm very sad about Scorn too, I was the first one emailed about the game by the devs, I wish things could of turned out differently for them.

Nightcry?! Whoa I had no idea anything came of that Project Scissors thing!
Very recently, as well. Night Cry is slated for this Halloween season, currently.

While not entirely horror game, is there any chance Doom 4 comes out in 2015?

There's a chance, but I'd place my bets on 2016.

Dusk Golem

The new Alone in the Dark game looks and sounds horrible. How long are they going to drag that franchise through the mud before someone gets it right?

Atari is rather bizarre these days. I actually think the new game will be okay, a low-budget co-op Left 4 Dead meets Alan Wake deal, though it could be a complete stinker. I managed to convince 3 friends to pre-order to get into the beta (which begins in a few weeks, in late January) to form mine and their impressions of the game for others, so we'll know about it and such in detail very soon.

Awesome list, lots of games to lok forward to. Tho I'd take a few out, Dying Light and Let it Die, Roam are horror? Most interested in Until Dawn, Soma, Routine, Kodoku and Fatal Frame if it makes it out in the west.

I view horror as a motif or thematic, the opposite side of the coin to comedy, both horror and comedy can be attached o anything, including each other. Dying Light definitely won't be scary, but it is a zombie-focused survival game that does use a number of zombie and horror tropes. Let It Doe at the moment makes me think a lot of Manhunt, and works in a similar type of horror of brutality and murder games

You're actually the first one who's me ruined SOMA, which I find interesting. I would think as who the devs are more would be excited for it.

I wonder how much of a horror influence The Order: 1886 will end up having. That part set in the hospital that was shown was pretty tense.

I was debating adding it, but I think it may be more detached from horror and just resonate it in a section or two, ala Bioshock Infinite for example, which had a couple sections but definitely not horror even thematically. But if someone has a good counter-argument or demonstration, I may very well add it.

This thread and the OP make me sad. I felt the same way and got slammed for it.

Keep on trucking, being a horror fan can have it's ups an downs. Some people these days are very resilient to horror either out of fear, the growth of horror LP'ers, or the like which they detest. It's also niche with a lot of indie effort, but one a lot of people are disinterested in or haven't delved into yet, so it varies, but as enthusiast it's all part of the ride.

Dusk Golem

I'll add Dungeons and 2Dark a bit later and try and add consoles for all.

This is the Giger influenced game. I thought Sony were publishing this as a VR game? What happened?

Sony didn't get back to them, still had trouble with publishers, went to Kikdtarter as a last-ditch attempt, but big sites and other sources to bring attention to it criminally Underlooked it as it occurred when GamerGate was full steam, so they had to cancel.

Mr. Virus

Cheers for the Monstrum nod OP!

Can't wait to get my hands Fran Brow and Kodoku. Hoping that they'll live up to the creepiness that I've seen around them so far.

Also hope that Fatal Frame V heads west and Routine finally lands. Been waiting on that one for ages!

Fady K

I love you Dusk, great thread. I completely share your love of horror games and i'm planning on picking up more than half of the games on the list minimum.

Awesome :D

Ionic

I'm pretty excited about The Hum. I really love the concept of the super advanced aliens that is beyond comprehension taking everybody. Scary stuff.

hatchx

Banned
Great list. I wonder how many will actually make it out in 2015, I find indie release dates to always be ambitious.

Bloodbore, Dying Light, Human Element, and Until Dawn for me.

ugoo18

I wouldn't call Bloodborne a horror game but that's just me.

I gotta agree with this

Same for Dying Light, H1Z1, Dead Island 2, State of Decay and Human Element. These for me anyway come across as maybe open world action-adventure games with zombies in the case of Dying Light, Dead Island 2 and State of Decay anyway.

H1Z1 i see as an MMO survival game and in the case of Human Element isn't that an online shooter or at the very least an online action game?

Gameboy415

Awesome thread as usual, Dusk Golem ! :)

I'm still working on some of last year's horror games but there are so many great games in the OP that I can't wait to play! :D

Dusk Golem

Happy to raise awareness of a number of titles, platforming adding may not happen until tomorrow as took an extra day to return home (been traveling, and don't want to research and wit all this in on mobile).

It'll be interesting to see what all lands in 2016. About half are guaranteed too, half it's too early to say, and of course, a number of surprises will come.

Mupod

Okay Narcosis has my interest. You'd think after years of people talking about a deep sea horror game there'd be some showing up by now. Trailer made me think of Echo Night: Beyond too.

Forgot about Routine...figured it was abandoned since I haven't heard from it in so long.

Asylum seems cool. Horror-themed adventure games are great when done right but there's surprisingly few that don't involve you hiding in closets. Reminds me that for some reason I've still never played Scratches even though I meant to do so years ago.

I'll be getting Revelaitons 2 and Killing Floor 2 of course.

drotahorror

Asylum seems cool. Horror-themed adventure games are great when done right but there's surprisingly few that don't involve you hiding in closets. Reminds me that for some reason I've still never played Scratches even though I meant to do so years ago.

You should check out the teaser. http://www.facethehorror.com/teaser/

I can't believe how great it looks (and it's over 2 years old). Also don't worry about spoiling anything as the teaser is not even part of the game.

Bladenic

Great list.

I recall a title I once saw a trailer for where you were actually playing a baby, does anyone know if that ever came out and the title?

Moonkid

I'd add Catequesis as well, dubious as it is whether it'll actually release this year. Take a look for yourself. I loved Lone Survivor so I'm looking forward to this.

Melchior

This year is going to be great. Honestly I haven't played a scary game in awhile. I've played pretty much every horror game that came out in the past 4 years and none of them were really scary. Each got funnier the more I played. Especially Outlast. I've been waiting awhile for Asylum and I loved Scratches back when I played it so its probably my most anticipated horror game.

I played Bloodborne (loved it since I love souls franchise) and Until Dawn (I thought the demo was hilarious but fun) at PSX.

Usobuko

Banned
Going to subscribe/bookmark this thread.

I won't have time for games in general in 2015 and this will be a good recap what's available.

BBboy20

Yeah, I think Routine is still my most anticipated horror game but...wow, that is a lot of interactive horror.

r3dzombie

Neo Member
Has there been any update on Routine?, the Alpha gameplay trailer is about 18 months old now. Hopefully it's still being worked on.

Guile

Banned
SOMA, The Forest (finished), Routine and Dayz (PS4) are definitely on my day 1 buy list. Can't wait!!! What an awesome year :D

Great thread but in my opinion half, well maybe less than half, of these games aren't horror.

They just got zombies in it. (The 2 ones for me being Dead Island 2 and DayZ)

I came into this thread skeptical, but now I'm impressed. Even if nothing here turns out great, a number of the games are amazing demonstrations of what small teams can accomplish graphically on modern engines. Kholat is downright phenomenal visually, though that screenshot used for its banner doesn't seem as nice.

I just tried playing the demo for Caffeine; does it actually have a proper ending? I got to a point where it seemed there was no way to progress. It was another example of amazing visuals though, and apparently made by a single person? Even more amazing.

Wiktor

Nice thread. I'm also waiting for The Last Crown: Blackenrock
nigel-twins-nursery.jpg
Previous game in the series, as well as Dark Fall trilogy did wonderful job with horror.

Top Bottom