• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
I didn't follow the news and see that Miguel Ferrer had died. On NCIS LA he was clearly struggling to say his lines and they wrote him off today by bringing back a JAG character to replace him.

Oh holy fuck, I didn't know this. :( That sucks. I've liked him ever since I saw him in Twin Peaks back in the early '90s. :(

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So Son of Zorn is cancelled, I take it? I just saw the season finale (?) tonight and I found it amusing. But apparently it is the swan song for this show?

No word yet. Its ratings were never great but also never terrible if I remember correctly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh holy fuck, I didn't know this. :( That sucks. I've liked him ever since I saw him in Twin Peaks back in the early '90s. :(
Yeah, apparently he was supposed to return for the new season too.

I mean whenever they used him on NCIS, he was really struggling to say his lines, but they didn't acknowledge that he was sick whatsoever. I only looked him up because they basically wrote his character off the show.

Pixieking

Banned

I mean whenever they used him on NCIS, he was really struggling to say his lines, but they didn't acknowledge that he was sick whatsoever. I only looked him up because they basically wrote his character off the show.

Yeah, my wife commented about how he seemed to be a bit... off. But I never thought he was actually ill.

Just read the piece in THR about the farewell they gave him - it seems he was a genuinely nice guy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So I have been browsing over Starz and Showtime recently and I am honestly surprised these channels are still there. Their movies are usually older and irrelevant or they are newer and irrelevant. Meanwhile they both host very few decent shows each further making them worse than the completion. I just find it weird that these types of channels aren't just included in a cable subscription. I could argue that both FX and AMC are better channels than they are. I wouldn't be surprised if they go under in a few years.

Starz and Showtime have programming that's just as good as, and in some cases even better, than HBO's. They both have healthy subscriber bases and their shows also often outrate HBO's (in L+SD). They're both doing more than fine, lol.

He filmed his scenes for Twin Peaks before his death.

Ok how the heck is Morgan Freeman's "Through the wormhole" still on TV? Season 7 just started I guess (my DVR recorded an episode anyways), here are the first four episodes of season 7, I think they all aired in 2016 but no more episodes so far:

701: What Makes a Terrorist?
702: Is Privacy Dead?
703: Are there more than 2 sexes?
704: Is Gun crime a virus?

wat... I loved the show at the beginning as a sort of alternative "The Universe" show, but now these topics are just so weird. Might as well have "aliens?" guy hosting it at this point.

Favorite part of season 1 & 2: me and my wife would try to guess how he would relate the topic to a "when I was a child..." story.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Eh, the first two titles don't seem that bad. The third is borderline. The fourth is just "What?"

Busty

Banned
Someone's insulting Showtime in here?

*head explodes*

It's my favorite premium channel by far. Is this how the rest of TV GAF feels when I shit talk things they like?

Really? I'm not sure I've ever heard someone defend Showtime that passionately before. Beyond Ray Donovan I'm not sure that there's a Showtime 'originated' show that I watch.

I never got into Shameless or Homeland though I'm told that Billions is good.

Epcott

Ok how the heck is Morgan Freeman's "Through the wormhole" still on TV? Season 7 just started I guess (my DVR recorded an episode anyways), here are the first four episodes of season 7, I think they all aired in 2016 but no more episodes so far:

701: What Makes a Terrorist?
702: Is Privacy Dead?
703: Are there more than 2 sexes?
704: Is Gun crime a virus?

wat... I loved the show at the beginning as a sort of alternative "The Universe" show, but now these topics are just so weird. Might as well have "aliens?" guy hosting it at this point.

Favorite part of season 1 & 2: me and my wife would try to guess how he would relate the topic to a "when I was a child..." story.

Slow year for astrophysics/space news? I loved the show, but had no idea the topics went into bizarro world. I thought he had moved on to that "The Story of God" show.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-sunday-ratings-2-19-2017.html

Fast-Demo-2017-Feb-19.SUN_.png

More 18- to 49-year-olds celebrated NBC's 90-year history last night than watched Agents of SHIELD or most CW shows in the last week.

Considering people pulled a Blood & Oil with Son of Zorn for its season finale, I imagine it's toast.

The Good Fight premiered not so good, except with old people.

So assuming The Good Fight is going to skew older like The Good Wife, CBS is banking on old people figuring out how to use a streaming service? And also they're counting on younger fans to pay $6-10 a month for a B-level streaming service just to watch one show? This has disaster written all over it. Hopefully they can renew it and throw it on Showtime if it doesn't work out on CBS AA because I enjoyed the first two episodes quite a bit.

Really? I'm not sure I've ever heard someone defend Showtime that passionately before. Beyond Ray Donovan I'm not sure that there's a Showtime 'originated' show that I watch.

Masters of Sex is overall pretty good.

Pixieking

Banned
So assuming The Good Fight is going to skew older like The Good Wife, CBS is banking on old people figuring out how to use a streaming service? And also they're counting on younger fans to pay $6-10 a month for a B-level streaming service just to watch one show? This has disaster written all over it. Hopefully they can renew it and throw it on Showtime if it doesn't work out on CBS AA because I enjoyed the first two episodes quite a bit.

It's only 10 eps long, too, so it's already one-fifth of the way through. I can't see CBS AA surviving on the strength of TGF, but it does seem like it would fit well into somewhere like Showtime. It certainly deserves a renewal for a second season.

I'm a little late, but if you miss Justified, I think Amazon's Sneaky Pete has that same Elmore Leonard tone and since Yost is the executive producer, I'm sure that's not accidental.

Wait, Starz is awesome. That's the only premium channel I regularly subscribe to. Ash vs Evil Dead, Black Sails, and Outlander are all as good as anything HBO puts out. Survivor's Remorse is pure money. Isn't Starz getting American Gods? I wasn't crazy about that book, but if seems like a huge get in the premium TV realm.

HBO's value to me is in their awesome catalog of past shows and Game of Thrones. I get a lot of that backlog through Amazon Prime and subscribe during GOT.

No clue about the Starz movie selection, but I assume it's on par with HBO. We tend to not watch a ton of movies, and we usually rent them off Amazon.

I'm a little late, but if you miss Justified, I think Amazon's Sneaky Pete has that same Elmore Leonard tone and since Yost is the executive producer, I'm sure that's not accidental.

I need to check that out then. I love Justified.

CBS all access was supposed to launch with the new Star Trek tv series, which presumably would have been a bigger draw for an online only show. TGF must have wrung some conditions from CBS to replace it, like maybe minimum 2 seasons or something?

There are two episodes up on CBS All access and there are two versions of each episode: the regular episode, and an extended, uncensored version (few fucks thrown in, don't think any nudity) that adds an extra ~5 mins or so.

kevin1025

Banned

Showtime has some great shows, though I feel like a majority of them overstay their welcome.

Shameless is awesome, though for me it had two off seasons. I finally started season seven last night and so far so good. Billions had a very good first season, although some parts of it are silly. Ray Donovan I like some pieces of, and other pieces get on my nerves. But it's still worth watching, I'd say. I'm also slowly catching up on The Affair after only seeing the first season when it aired. The second season is a tad slow but it's still pretty enjoyable.

I'll stop there, don't want to go through their whole line-up, haha.

kurahador

Having watched Dexter, Homeland, Weeds and Penny Dreadful, better steer clear from Showtime shows. They always started out great only to bottomed out in later seasons.

CBS is like, "Hey we made a spinoff of a show that only old people watched and decided to make it online only. Wait for the money to roll in." Fucking idiots.

Star Trek might do well
on pirate sites

Why would anybody subscribe to CBS All Access?

berzeli

Banned
We talking shit about CBS All Access?

It, bad.
People who run it, dumb.
Name, stupid.
Business plan, unclear.
Demographics for it, non-existent.

I've whined so much about it (and I can't even use it!) I've run out of things to say.

Pachimari

Thread made me start up TVD season 1, Damon was a staight up evil cartoon villain. Dude has a crow and summons fog lol wtf.

Look forward to Season 7, that one was really good. Basically:

1. Season 2
2. Season 3
3. Season 1
4. Season 7
5. Season 6
6. Season 5
7. Season 4

styl3s

So does Good Fight only air on their online stuff? It won't be airing week-week on TV? Seems like a good way for me to know what shows not to bother getting into since i will never pay a subscription for any of these non premium channels like HBO.

So, I have a question that the "Tales From the Crypt" debacle brought to mind.

How can a network order a show to series when they don't know whether or not they have the rights? Surely the network must check if the production company in question has the rights or not? Or was this just a matter of "We had the rights, but some contractual tomfoolery with HBO means they think they have the rights and now we're screwed"?

morningbus

So, I have a question that the "Tales From the Crypt" debacle brought to mind.

How can a network order a show to series when they don't know whether or not they have the rights? Surely the network must check if the production company in question has the rights or not? Or was this just a matter of "We had the rights, but some contractual tomfoolery with HBO means they think they have the rights and now we're screwed"?

It's probably something even more complicated and therefore unseen. I'm not sure who would challenge the rights, as everything is seemingly owned by Time Warner.

Tales from the Crypt was published by E.C., E.C. is owned by DC, DC is owned by Warner, Warner is owned by Time Warner, Time Warner owns HBO (who broadcast the original tv adaptation) and TNT (who plans to do the new show).

Anyway, it appears the show is back on so it must have got figured out.

kevin1025

Banned
So does Good Fight only air on their online stuff? It won't be airing week-week on TV? Seems like a good way for me to know what shows not to bother getting into since i will never pay a subscription for any of these non premium channels like HBO.

They aired the first episode on CBS to entice a crowd to carry over to All Access, and then will air it every Sunday night on there exclusively (in the US, at least). But I imagine the crowd that did watch (based on the ratings) are going to tune in on Sunday night on CBS and be ultra confused.

It's probably something even more complicated and therefore unseen. I'm not sure who would challenge the rights, as everything is seemingly owned by Time Warner.

Tales from the Crypt was published by E.C., E.C. is owned by DC, DC is owned by Warner, Warner is owned by Time Warner, Time Warner owns HBO (who broadcast the original tv adaptation) and TNT (who plans to do the new show).

Anyway, it appears the show is back on so it must have got figured out.
I didn't know this was all owned by WB. Kinda scary to think this is all owned by one mega organization now.

But it is not still on. That new promo is actually an old promo. You can see a shot of that janitor commercial in TNT's 2016 Upfronts montage.

morningbus

I didn't know this was all owned by WB. Kinda scary to think this is all owned by one mega organization now.

But it is not still on. That new promo is actually an old promo. You can see a shot of that janitor commercial in TNT's 2016 Upfronts montage.

Source? I saw the thread with those promos, but they appear to have been filmed a while back, and haven't been officially released by TNT itself.

Ah my bad there. I could only find enthusiast websites covering the show and they gave me the impression that it was back on with the latest promo.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Look forward to Season 7, that one was really good. Basically:

1. Season 2
2. Season 3
3. Season 1
4. Season 7
5. Season 6
6. Season 5
7. Season 4

Is The Originals still on aswell?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Showtime has some great shows, though I feel like a majority of them overstay their welcome.

That's the main knock against Showtime - either their shows go on for so long that even fans want them to be put out of their misery or they get canceled prematurely. They really need to work on finding that happy medium.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Always fun to look at the six companies that own practically everything:

5914101_orig.png

Missing is CBS, which used to be Viacom, but both CBS and Viacom are controlled by Sumner Redstone. CBS owns all of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_CBS Relevant to our thread, CBS owns Showtime, the Smithsonian Channel, Flix, 50% of the Pop network and part of AXS TV. Oh, and of course, 50% of The CW.

[edit] Also missing is AMC, which is its own company that also owns IFC, Sundance TV and WeTV as well as almost half of BBC America; Tribune, which owns WGN America and 30% of Food Network; and Scripps, which owns the other 70% of Food Network as well as HGTV, DIY Network, Cooking Channel, Great American Country and Travel Channel.

Busty

Banned

I knew I'd be persecuted over my love for Ray Donovan. Yes, it is a show about an LA based fixer to the big stars who doesn't fix anything for any big stars..., but I love it.

Hopefully you can find it in your heart to accept me and Ray Donovan, a TV show about an LA based fixer to the stars who doesn't fix anything for any stars, for who we are.

Thank you.

[edit] Also missing is AMC, which is its own company that also owns IFC, Sundance TV and WeTV as well as almost half of BBC America; Tribune, which owns WGN America and 30% of Food Network; and Scripps, which owns the other 70% of Food Network as well as HGTV, DIY Network, Cooking Channel, Great American Country and Travel Channel.

Also, Time Warner no longer own AOL or any of those Time magazine brands and they also have a piece of Hulu.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
CBS is like, "Hey we made a spinoff of a show that only old people watched and decided to make it online only. Wait for the money to roll in." Fucking idiots.

Star Trek might do well
on pirate sites

Why would anybody subscribe to CBS All Access?
I think Sepinwall made a decent argument in that The Good Wife is the only prestige CBS show that people outside of the closer to death demographic watched, so maybe the young people will choose to subscribe to it.

Presumably they wanted to launch with Star Trek, but we all know what happened there.

Matt

5914101_orig.png

Missing is CBS, which used to be Viacom, but both CBS and Viacom are controlled by Sumner Redstone. CBS owns all of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_CBS Relevant to our thread, CBS owns Showtime, the Smithsonian Channel, Flix, 50% of the Pop network and part of AXS TV. Oh, and of course, 50% of The CW.

And Comcast now owns DreamWorks Animation, and AT&T is in the process of buying Time Warner.

5914101_orig.png

It would be cool to have an updated version of this or a website for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom