• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

We should start a pool for how quickly McFarlane makes Orville do a musical episode.

Show looks dreadful. It's Galaxy Quest with none of the wit or creativity.

You mean Seth Macfarlane telling an alien to step a few feet to the right for better centering in a threatening comms talk isn't hilarious to you?!

You can telegraph jokes a 10000 miles away, but by god make them worth the setup.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ohhhh... That'd get me watching again just to see how someone finally kills the indestructible Gibbs.

Only show I watch out of the list is Elementary. They could kill Sherlock, actually. It'd be somewhat in-keeping with the source material, and, if it's the final season, would be a great way to wrap up character arcs.
They already "killed" Sherlock by having him become an addict again though.

We should start a pool for how quickly McFarlane makes Orville do a musical episode.

Show looks dreadful. It's Galaxy Quest with none of the wit or creativity.
I still think Orville might end up being better than Discovery. lol

Pixieking

Banned
They already "killed" Sherlock by having him become an addict again though.

True, but not quite the same, so I still think they could actually kill him and pull it off. I'd be really interested in a Moriarty, Morland, Watson mexican standoff-style finale to the series.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
It takes until about the 3rd episode, when they find out the meaning of a tattoo with just three or four hours to spare, to realize you have to suspend disbelief in a manner that simply goes beyond reasoning.

Edit - I should clarify that essentially every episode works this way.
This sounds awful.
Just now realizing that Aubrey Plaza and Aisha Hinds both got snubbed at the Emmys... :/
Emmys are weird this year. They snubbed The Americans, but included House of Cards. Not sure why they chose House of Cards even over Orange is the New Black either. They included Strangers Things and This Is Us, despite one being heavily liked due to nostalgia and the other being only considered so good because it's the best network television show in basically a decade...

Karu

Emmys are weird this year. They snubbed The Americans, but included House of Cards. Not sure why they chose House of Cards even over Orange is the New Black either. They included Strangers Things and This Is Us, despite one being heavily liked due to nostalgia and the other being only considered so good because it's the best network television show in basically a decade...
The Good Wife. Edit: And this is not a classic "What about my fav TV show?!" post lol

Oddduck

I could be wrong on this, but aren't the emmy's based on the previous season, instead of the current season.

House of Cards was decent last year.

kevin1025

Banned
I could be wrong on this, but aren't the emmy's based on the previous season, instead of the current season.

House of Cards is for this year's, they put it out on a non-Friday (and the last day of eligibility) so they could compete.

Game of Thrones numbers:
EW said:
Game of Thrones returned after its longest wait yet to the show’s biggest audience ever — by far.

The worldwide hit series delivered an incredible 16.1 million viewers for the highly anticipated kick off to its penultimate season across all HBO platforms (repeats and streaming and DVR).

That represents a whopping 50 percent increase from last year’s premiere — despite the show airing in the summer for the first time when the number of households watching television is lower than in the spring (which is why broadcast networks run most of their original programming from September to May).

Last year the season 6 premiere averaged 10.7 million viewers including streaming (7.9 million viewers without).
Joe Adalian said:
@GameOfThrones S7 opens to a massive linear audience of 10.1M viewers at 9 p.m. Sunday, up 27% vs. April 2016 S6 premiere

Including replays + digital views, HBO estimates audience for S7 @GameOfThrones opener already at 16.1M -- +50% vs 2016

berzeli

Banned
Game of Thrones numbers:
7RB9SwK.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
True, but not quite the same, so I still think they could actually kill him and pull it off. I'd be really interested in a Moriarty, Morland, Watson mexican standoff-style finale to the series.
I feel like the show is smart enough not to try to get too cute like Sherlock did in its third and fourth seasons.

Or maybe we'll get a scene where he falls off the Niagara falls lol

Not suprised by those GoT numbers. Anecdotally it feels like they really hit peak buzz with those last two episodes of last season.

Yep - Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter really set the stage, and the buzz they've generated around these final 2 seasons (or 1.5 seasons if we're being technical) is really something. Watching GoT live has become an event, much like watching TWD live is an event.

Those two shows are the only things (besides sports) I watch live. Everything else can wait for DVR. Hell, I don't even want to open social media if I'm more than a minute behind getting started in case of spoilers.

Yeah... I limped through Blindspot's first season and the ridiculous tattoo deal, playing the show as a straight drama that we've seen a hundred times with the trying to hard to be "hip" and not playing to how ridiculous it all was didn't help. Oh and a mystery that they should've just left alone at mid-season or whatever instead of throwing more twist nonsense.

Gaddam at those GoT numbers.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The Good Wife. Edit: And this is not a classic "What about my fav TV show?!" post lol
I forgot about The Good Wife, I still need to watch it.

Orange is the New Black for 2017 emmy's would be nominated for Season 4 (arguably considering a really strong season), and House of Cards is based off Season 5 (probably their worst season ever made, and a significant step down in terms of writing)
Game of Thrones numbers:
I'm honestly surprised it's not bigger. This show (should) will pass Walking Dead as the biggest/second biggest show this decade in terms of fandom.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Mariah Carey Drama Series Based On Her Life In Works At Starz

We have learned that Starz is developing an untitled fictional scripted drama series based on the the music superstar' real-life experiences, with Carey executive producing alongside long-time friend Brett Ratner.

Written by Nina Colman (Mahogany), the drama is set in 1986 New York City and chronicles the rise of an ambitious bi-racial 16-year-old girl, an aspiring singer/songwriter who survived a difficult childhood to become the biggest selling female music artist of all time.

screaming tbh

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
From Skeet Ulrich's interview with the AV Club:
http://www.avclub.com/article/skeet-ulrich-talks-about-riverdale-scream-and-only-258027

... RE: Jericho

That series was just so compelling. I’ll never forget: It was right around the fourth episode, maybe, when we see the missiles launched across the sky, and North Korea was testing missiles two days prior to that. Now it’s nothing new, but at the time it was kind of unheard of. Kim Jong-il didn’t test that many, so the timing involved was really eerie.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t a show that was a CBS-type show. Now they have their summer miniseries that are sort of similar to it, but they had never really stepped outside of cops and lawyers and doctors, and they were scared of it. Lennie [James] and I spent a couple of hours every night rewriting it, and fortunately we were all on the same page: the producers and Carol Barbee, Lennie and I, and really, the whole cast.

I’ve done a lot of stuff in my career, and you hope you make friends while you’re doing things, and you hope you’ll keep in touch with a lot of people, but the way careers go, one person goes this way, another goes that way, and it’s hard to keep in touch. In fact, Alicia [Coppola’s] husband was over here yesterday. We talk, all of us, all the time. Tim Omundson just recently suffered a stroke, and producers and actors and everybody were showing up at the hospital and showing up at his house. That became a real family, that group of people, and I think it was felt from an audience perspective. You could feel that connection somehow. But plotwise it was just a really interesting notion of what this world could become and what do we do if it does?

We were close [to a third season] about four or five years ago. Karim Zreik, one of the producers, called me and said, “Netflix has a schedule, they have budget, they have locations. Are you in?” I said, “Absolutely, with one proviso: That first script back has to time-jump five years, and the world has devolved way lower than we could ever have imagined.” And they were on board with it. And CBS wouldn’t sell it. The deal wouldn’t work for them...

It’s so frustrating. Because the thing that killed that show was the marketing strategy that they had for it. Lost was in its fourth season when they split it into basically two 11-episode half-seasons, with a three-month hiatus in between the 11th and 12th episodes. But they had four seasons, and they had a following, and they did a massive amount of marketing when they broke between the 11th and 12th to let people know when it was coming back. And CBS wanted to use that model of marketing for Jericho. And it killed it.

I mean, we had a big fan base, but they didn’t do the marketing to let people know when it came back, and then when the numbers dropped, they blamed us. So it was really frustrating. I think, because we were such a family unit, we all wanted to come back and do those seven episodes [for a second season], but we were bitter about it. I mean, they cut our budget in half to do those seven. Our D.P. and most of the people that’d helped tell that story had gone off to other jobs. We typically shoot an episode in eight working days, and they made us do it in seven. So they brought us back, but they didn’t. It left a bad taste in my mouth, that whole experience. It seems like every series I’ve been a part of, there’s been some sort of frustration, business-wise.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess it's one of those situations where an IP owner would rather let it burn than risk the chance of someone else be successful with it. Much like all those dead game IPs that are just sitting in a drawer somewhere languishing in obscurity.

Patryn

I guess it's one of those situations where an IP owner would rather let it burn than risk the chance of someone else be successful with it. Much like all those dead game IPs that are just sitting in a drawer somewhere languishing in obscurity.

I think it's less the IP Owner and more the executives in charge of that IP Owner. They don't want to be the one who let a moneymaker out of the door.

Busty, you have the best hot takes.

No, they're not killing off Jamie Alexander on Blindspot.

I don't know, there were those rumors from the first season she was a diva terror on the set and tried to get various crew members fired including Stapleton. While they aren't likely to do so, if forced to make a choice of keeping her or Stapleton there is no doubt that they would keep Stapleton.

Also they need to bring back Archie. Her and Stapleton were electric together.

mm04

Yep, what a bummer. I really liked Jericho, too.

vypek

I'm really upset with myself that I didn't set Claws as a series to record on my DVR. Missing some episodes now and I have to go "out of my way" to view them. I'm glad it is being received well (at least on here).

ZeroX03

Banned
Hardwick isn't faking his enthusiasm for most things, he's just an earnest energetic dork which is fine in my books. Much more bareable in podcast form though, no mugging for the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom