• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Great title change. I'll be sad to see The Middle go, but nine seasons and maintaining quality as it has to me (it's my favorite sitcom airing by far) is nothing to sneeze at *lowers head and whispers "sneeze at."*

https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/file...5721357534_tumblr_mroh80f6JX1qk4cb3o3_500.gif
I was wondering if they'd ever deal with Brick and the fact that he isn't going through puberty.

It sounds like they're just retconning the depressing ending that everyone hated.
Who wants that Will & Grace ending to be canon, it's for the best.
Will and Grace had a How I Met Your Mother ending?

Did it turn out that they were all straight or something.

Zero315

Banned
Will and Grace had a How I Met Your Mother ending?

Did it turn out that they were all straight or something.
I can't exactly remember, but I think Grace never liked the guy Will married so they both went their separate ways and never talked again until like 20 or so years later when their kids ended up being in the same dorm across the hall from each other in college.

It was bad.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
NBC Boss’ Revival Wish List: ‘The Office’, ‘30 Rock’, ‘The West Wing’ & ‘ER’

He reiterated that “we’re not thing anything beyond Miami Vice at the moment but “if Tina called and said ‘I’d do 30 Rock, I’d do it in a heartbeat, even for a limited run. The same about The Office.”

The network is currently working with Aaron Sorkin, creator of its Emmy-winning NBC drama The West Wing, on a live production of A Few Good Men. “I keep saying to him, ‘Do you want to do The West Wing again, wouldn’t it be great to do it?’ He says, ‘You know I love that show and some day I’d love to revisit it, but it’s not going to happen right now.’

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I can't exactly remember, but I think Grace never liked the guy Will married so they both went their separate ways and never talked again until like 20 or so years later when their kids ended up being in the same dorm across the hall from each other in college.

It was bad.

Oddly enough, Mad About You, an NBC sitcom from the same era, did the same type of thing. The series finale jumped ahead 20 years and was narrated by their daughter talking about how they got separated. They get back together during some party for their daughter or something.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yup, Wayward Sisters is what it's going to be called, I believe. The sheriff Jodi Mills, Claire, the other girl, and that other sheriff, Donna I think. I hope it's good and they don't screw it up.
Oh I am so in.

It was bad.
That's a depressing as fuck ending. Like Holy Shit.

...we really are at the end of creativeness.

The only revival anyone wants is Friends.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I would kill for 30 rock on Netflix...

Fuck my region's catalogue is shit :/

Zoe

I've been on an ER kick lately thanks to the Pop marathons. Wasn't really a fan the first time around with how depressing everyone's lives turned out though.

I haven't seen Chicago Med, but I'm guessing it's not a suitable successor?

Oddly enough, Mad About You, an NBC sitcom from the same era, did the same type of thing. The series finale jumped ahead 20 years and was narrated by their daughter talking about how they got separated. They get back together during some party for their daughter or something.

Wtf???

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe NBC writers watched the Before movies and tried to pull a Linklater.

Also they should troll people and revive Joey instead of Friends.

Zero315

Banned

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratsky... psst Ratsky...

Ozark?

My patience for derivative, yet "good enough" TV has all but vanished in the past 5 months. I've cut a ton of shows from my rotation and won't pick up a new show unless it sounds particularly interesting and/or gets rave reviews.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
My patience for derivative, yet "good enough" TV has all but vanished in the past 5 months. I've cut a ton of shows from my rotation and won't pick up a new show unless it sounds particularly interesting and/or gets rave reviews.

you're killing me.

Rhaknar

Y'all ready for Inhumans?

"Simply awful. I'm so disappointed since I generally love everything Marvel does. But this is absolutely terrible. The dialogue is atrocious. The fight sequences are shockingly choreographed. The sets (or more-so the obvious green-screen) aren't that crash hot either. It's only saving grace is Lockjaw who is adorable. As one of the few people that actually liked Iron Fist, I can easily say that this is Scott Buck's worst work yet. (Tyler | 8/3/2017)"

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/05/spoilertv-201718-pilot-shows-reviews.html

anigif_enhanced-buzz-343-1428948767-21.gif

We've been Buck'ed again.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

And this is from someone who enjoyed Iron Fist? Sweet fancy Moses.

Somebody needs to help out the tv side. Cause even the Netflix Marvel stuff is looking mighty cheap these days. Really low budget costumes and set design and next to no special effects. This getting a theatrical release means it'll get eviscerated on Rotten Tomatoes. That's gonna be a bigger black eye than Iron Fist, cause you just know some news sites will spin it as "Marvel's First Rotten Film Release?"

kevin1025

Banned
Y'all ready for Inhumans?

"Simply awful. I'm so disappointed since I generally love everything Marvel does. But this is absolutely terrible. The dialogue is atrocious. The fight sequences are shockingly choreographed. The sets (or more-so the obvious green-screen) aren't that crash hot either. It's only saving grace is Lockjaw who is adorable. As one of the few people that actually liked Iron Fist, I can easily say that this is Scott Buck's worst work yet. (Tyler | 8/3/2017)"

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/05/spoilertv-201718-pilot-shows-reviews.html

anigif_enhanced-buzz-343-1428948767-21.gif

We've been Buck'ed again.

The trailer they play before IMAX movies is laughably bad. It looks like something from the 90's, but with better cameras and image quality.

Pixieking

Banned

The West Wing would be interesting, but only if it had a female president. Bartlett was presented as the anti-W Bush, and whilst we need a fictional anti-Trump, the only way it works is if it's essentially Hillary Clinton. Generic middle-aged white dude isn't going to cut it - not after Barack Obama was actually the President, and not after the US came so close to the first woman President.

ER would also be interesting, though only if it was closer in style to early seasons - once it hit season 6(ish) it became bogged down in blah storylines. It needs to be more episodic, less story-arc.

Weevilone

The wife and I watched "Somewhere Between" on ABC tonight. Wow..
I can't believe how bad it was.

We also finally watched Riverdale and were shocked that we enjoyed it.
But we still won't tell anyone we know IRL.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
ER would also be interesting, though only if it was closer in style to early seasons - once it hit season 6(ish) it became bogged down in blah storylines. It needs to be more episodic, less story-arc.

The cast turnover really hurt ER in the later seasons, it seemed like they were adding main cast members every week. Also, the plot lines got ludicrous towards the end. I can't believe the one surgeon who lost an arm to a helicopter blade died from a helicopter crashing on top of him.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

A Marvel fan is shocked to see poor fight choreography?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NBC is the one who started the recent trend back in 2013 with The Sound of Music Live!

YOU CAN'T TAKE THE SKY FROM ME
I get musicals because they have some appeal... but just doing A Few Good Men seems strange. The last live one off drama I remember was Clooney's Fail Safe ages ago (I still remember a kid stumbling over a line lol).

Unless they are going to add some music to A Few Good Men. Maybe Sorkin will conquer musical theatre after the rousing success of Newsroom.

TheOddOne

Mr. Mercedes is getting some decent reviews.

- THR: 'Mr. Mercedes': TV Review.
Mr. Mercedes is a fine example of Stephen King working in his frequent supernatural-free "Human darkness is the true horror" mode. In its new TV incarnation on Audience Network, Mr. Mercedes is a fine example of something that has been less frequent over the years — an effective Stephen King adaptation carried by strong performances and smart writing choices.
- Deadline: ‘Mr. Mercedes’ Review: Bloody Good Stephen King Series Worth The Ride.
Premiering August 9 on Audience, Mr. Mercedes starts with a stomach-heaving opening of extreme and unsettling violence, but the 10-episode series based on Stephen King’s 2014 novel proves to be good ride that’s well worth taking.

Rhaknar

Given that Daredevil is one of the (physically) darkest, least visually clear television shows ever, no, I didn't see much of it.

you're not allowed to weight in on Superhero related topics Stump

Kevin

I like Daredevil well enough but it always felt slow and low budget to me. Especially considering so many of the episodes were well over 50 minutes long and you would go huge stretches with no action at all. Still very much a fan but it could definitely use a bigger budget and more action. Even the CW superhero shows have more action in them.

Pluto

I will freely admit I was never a Will and Grace fan, but reading about how they're essentially throwing away all the growth the characters went through and flat out totally ignoring the series finale to reset the show to what it was before kind of annoys me.
They have to ignore the finale because Will & Grace would be in the middle of their not talking to each other right now.

God, I hated that finale. Them not talking was stupid in the first place but then they had a scene where Jack and Karen got them to talk again, they realized they had been stupid and that they were still friends but because they both had families now it was super hard to see each other so they just didn't talk to each other for another decade ...

And I know exactly why the writer's did that, because they had come up with that scene that looks like a flashback of Will & Grace meeting each other for the first time in college but then it's revealed it isn't a flashback but we're seeing their kids but obviously that scene only works if the kids don't know each other, so they just had Will and Grace not talk for 20 years despite living in the same city, with kids the same age and both still being friends with Karen and Jack.
So we got a stupid finale just because someone thought the kids meeting just like Will and Grace would be cute. That has to be it, nothing else makes sense.

So if they wipe that dumbass finale out of existence I'm more than okay with that.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Unfortunately friends is the one show that is never returning :(
There's nothing unfortunate about it. It's good it's never coming back. Better to leave it alone than screw it up.

I will freely admit I was never a Will and Grace fan, but reading about how they're essentially throwing away all the growth the characters went through and flat out totally ignoring the series finale to reset the show to what it was before kind of annoys me.
Isn't that what's happening with Roseanne also?

pswii60

It was bad.
I'm trying to think of an American sitcom which had a good ending, or even an ending that simply wasn't terrible. I'm really struggling, someone help me.
I like Daredevil well enough but it always felt slow and low budget to me. Especially considering so many of the episodes were well over 50 minutes long and you would go huge stretches with no action at all. Still very much a fan but it could definitely use a bigger budget and more action. Even the CW superhero shows have more action in them.
I agree. My biggest issue with Daredevil was the usual Netflix pacing of having 8 episodes of very little happening at all, and then everything rushed through in the last few episodes. Orange is the New Black suffers from the same every season, but at least there's some witty writing in that to keep it entertaining during the slow bits. The problem with the Marvel shows is that I simply don't care about any of the characters, so I struggle through the first half of the seasons, the pay off is good though to be fair.

wvnative

I'm trying to think of an American sitcom which had a good ending, or even an ending that simply wasn't terrible. I'm really struggling, someone help me.

I agree. My biggest issue with Daredevil was the usual Netflix pacing of having 8 episodes of very little happening at all, and then everything rushed through in the last few episodes. Orange is the New Black suffers from the same every season, but at least there's some witty writing in that to keep it entertaining during the slow bits. The problem with the Marvel shows is that I simply don't care about any of the characters, so I struggle through the first half of the seasons, the pay off is good though to be fair.

Friends I thought had a pretty great ending, though that might just be relative to all the other shows that never had a great ending.

Fresh Prince I don't think was bad... just kinda, rushed perhaps?

Slightly off topic but since it was mentioned, anybody know where I can legally watch mad about you? One of the few semi-popular 90s sitcoms I've never seen a single episode of. And I just love binging these old sitcoms.

maxcriden

Friends.

It was bad.

How can they retcon that without time travel? Timeless crossover incoming?

Solo

Miami Vice was lightning in a bottle. The original had Mann, great casting, a hard edge to it and the cultural zeitgeist behind it. Can't see the new one having any of those working for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom