• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Well BoyBand was good show, could have had better choices for the boys to sing as sometimes it felt they were given songs that didnt really go well with some of them. But otherwise I hope we get more, loved it. My favorite was like the 2nd voted off. Oh well. Im glad Brady made it.

Group name could be better...

I'm glad Michael Connor made the cut personally, though kinda surprised Mickey didn't make it tbh. Good show tho overall

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Admittedly I've only watched bits and pieces but I thought Zoo was Under the Dome part deux?

I havent watched it but I believe Zoo goes hard in the "its so bad its good" territory, and also its very self aware.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
this scene in American Gods in
the bathroom with one armed Laura talking to Audrey while in the crapper
might just be one of my favorite scenes in anything ever.

Im definately going to sub to Amazon when season 2 rolls around.

edit: also this is totally the lady from Glow, I knew I recognised her. Shes fantastic.

Betty Gilpin became one of my fave actors this year with her turn on American Gods and GLOW. She's a scene stealer for sure.

I can't believe it's almost time for a new cancellation thread. I'm betting ABC's Kevin (Probably) Saves the World is gonna be one of the first victims.

Kaizer

Banned
Admittedly I've only watched bits and pieces but I thought Zoo was Under the Dome part deux?

People actually like Zoo, case in point:
eUpWXbp.png

Apparently it's so over the top trash it swings around to being amazing.
Also thanks for reminding me that I should watch Zoo. It might be the most ridiculous show on TV but dammit I need that right now.

Zoo is so FUCKING CRAZY that it's definitely amazing. I'm in disbelief every week of how they manage to top the past episode's ridiculousness.

charpunk

Zoo has taken the over the top formula from under the dome but actually made it worth watching.

Show is so insanely dumb that it’s fun. It’s like the fast and furious of tv shows. Each episode tries to be more insane than the previous one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wtf, there's a Mr Mercedes TV show? Anyone watch any of it yet?

I only watched the pilot and found it pretty gross and super low rent but also compelling in a way. Brendan Gleeson is always a pleasure to watch.

Minor pilot spoiler:
The opening scene is a murderer reving up his car and mowing down a crowd of people and it aired like 3 days after Charlottesville. Awkward.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"I've done the math, this times that equals youre a cunt"

K0D6SCw.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Are there any rumblings at all if Bajillion Dollar properties or other seeso shows got picked up?

I need more Dean Rosedragon in my life.

HarmonQuest and Hidden America got pulled outta the fire by VRV, but every other show is on its own. Cameron Esposito tweets about 'Take My Wife' every once in awhile, so they must be still hunting for home. Same for Bajillion and There's Johnny, they just gotta hope somebody is interested.

I think a lot of the Seeso programming would be a good fit for IFC. They're into that low budget, alt-comedy pedigree type of stuff. Maron, Portlandia, Documentary Now, Whitest Kids U Know, Comedy Bang Bang, etc.

EDIT: I actually should watch Bajillion Dollar Properties, now that I think about it. Paul F Tompkins is hilarious in everything I've seen or heard him in. Great podcast guest.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
VRV got HarmonQuest; Hidden America; My Brother My Brother and Me; and Cyanade and Happiness.

Bajillion Dollar Properties is likely to find a new home if only because they have a fourth season shot, edited, and in the can so it's basically a season of TV for free. Ditto Take My Wife season 2. And I am sure someone will buy There's Johnny, since it's similarly done.

Not sure what else Seeso has already paid for.

I only watched the pilot and found it pretty gross and super low rent but also compelling in a way. Brendan Gleeson is always a pleasure to watch.

Yeah, this assessment is correct. I enjoyed the books and I'm digging the show but a masterpiece it surely isn't. I'd watch Brendan Gleeson in just about anything.

Plus this week's episode ended with Harry Treadaway's character
getting a hand job from his mom
. If that doesn't scream DVR me, I'm not sure what does.

Zoo!! discussion Im glad ,though I will say I watch it and kind of like it just to see what they do next, imo so much bad writing all around in it but such a compelling concept and rafiki is great as well as the mr duncan plot this season.

Rhaknar

YES! Christin Chenoweth! God, I loved her in Pushing Daisies, bless you Bryan Fuller for putting her in American Gods.

-Deimos

Sad to see People of Earth S2 getting no talk, I didn't even know it started until now. But then again, I don't think it's even possible to watch it in Canada right now...

kevin1025

Banned
Sad to see People of Earth S2 getting no talk, I didn't even know it started until now. But then again, I don't think it's even possible to watch it in Canada right now...

I think we (Canada) got the first season three or four months later on Comedy (our version of Comedy Central), and season two starts in September.

Zoo is so FUCKING CRAZY that it's definitely amazing. I'm in disbelief every week of how they manage to top the past episode's ridiculousness.

Zoo has taken the over the top formula from under the dome but actually made it worth watching.

Show is so insanely dumb that it’s fun. It’s like the fast and furious of tv shows. Each episode tries to be more insane than the previous one.

Have they had anything as ridiculous as the toothpaste birth from Under the Dome?

Grizzlyjin

Have they had anything as ridiculous as the toothpaste birth from Under the Dome?

Almost every episode. Especially from Season 2 onwards. To quote myself from the Summer 2017 TV thread

So I'm watching Season 2, Episode 1 of Zoo and in the first 3 minutes their car was t-boned by a rhino, they created a wall of flames to stop an animal stampede, and a mother literally covered in hornets passed her baby off to the French secret agent woman. This all happened so fast that my brain collapsed and I laughed so hard that I cried. Oh, and I think there was a car explosion in there somewhere too.

Rhaknar

put that metacritic quote on the back of the box tbh

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I remember watching a "reality" tv show with my Dad maybe circa 2003 or 2004 whose premise was skilled individuals doing survival stuff. I was in college at the time, I think. It might have been as early as 2001 but it was definitely no later than 2007-2008. Not like Bear Gryllis or Survivorman or Naked and Afraid or anything like that.

I believe the contestants were dropped off on an island in a small plane and had to locate themselves in the world with lat/long, build a radio from primitive wire stuff, built shelters, mixed dye and paint using natural sources. I definitely remember something about mixing dye and something about building a radio. I remember it impressing the hell out of me because of the actual competence and lack of showoffiness, in contrast to Survivor. They may have had fixed objectives, but it wasn't elimination/competition focused.

I feel like it aired on A&E or TLC or HGTV or Discovery in Canada in the era just before all those networks switched to I'm A Disabled Orphan and I need Help Decluttering My Wardrobe shows. I feel like it wasn't Canadian and was probably British, since I remember it having that sort of relaxed vibe that many British shows have. It definitely wasn't spectacular enough to be American.

But the thing is that I never actually managed to find the show years later. I checked various encyclopedias of TV and never managed to track it down. I don't remember anything about what it was called, and again I don't have enough detail to narrow it down.

2010 seems too late and it definitely isn't this show, but reading this made me really want to go back and find that. My Dad died a few years ago and I think it's probably not uncommon that when you lose a parent that you have weird things where you want to reconnect with memories you had with them. But I really wish I could find this.

Edit:
Holy fuck, I figured it out literally 20 seconds after posting this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_Science

I have been thinking about this on and off for like probably 5 or 8 years.

berzeli

Banned
Peak TV, indeed.
UpRoxx had a damn podcast about it, in addition to being the first outlet that really gave it any real attention
Film School Rejects:
IGUeH8i.png

I take no pleasure in hate-watching a television show or film. I've never seen The Room, and even if I had, I would undoubtedly still have mixed feelings about The Disaster Artist, James Franco's upcoming parody of (or love letter to) Tommy Wiseau's infamous debut feature. For my money, people who ‘hate-watch' a show or describe a movie as ‘good-bad' simply lack the integrity to admit they genuinely enjoy what they're consuming. So I'm not going to tell you that I'm hate-watching Zoo on Netflix, because that's not true; I genuinely look forward to turning on an episode at the end of every single night. Instead, let me say that I'm watching a show I think I love despite the fact that it does some things worse than any scripted piece of fiction I've ever seen before in my life. Are you hooked yet? You should be.

Vulture (NY Mag) is doing recaps of it, AV Club (RIP) is doing reviews, basically all that is missing is a think piece by The New Yorker/NYT and it's basically the same as Game of Thrones. (though maybe I shouldn't be so hard on GoT, last night's episode had some moments in it)
So I think it is fair to call it a thing. It's beyond a TV Gaf inside joke like The White Slave (also, my apologies for bringing that to the attention of everyone).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The fact that Eden was cancelled as the participants were still involved in the project is probably the only notable thing about the show though. lol

kevin1025

Banned
UpRoxx had a damn podcast about it, in addition to being the first outlet that really gave it any real attention
Film School Rejects:
IGUeH8i.png

Vulture (NY Mag) is doing recaps of it, AV Club (RIP) is doing reviews, basically all that is missing is a think piece by The New Yorker/NYT and it's basically the same as Game of Thrones. (though maybe I shouldn't be so hard on GoT, last night's episode had some moments in it)
So I think it is fair to call it a thing. It's beyond a TV Gaf inside joke like The White Slave (also, my apologies for bringing that to the attention of everyone).

Brian Grubb's love of Zoo is pretty fun (at Uproxx). I got through half of the pilot and put it aside, it feels like a couple of beers kind of show.

Grizzlyjin

So what is up with Outcast Season 2 in the US? I know most people on the Reddit board have probably watched the UK airings already.

I don't think Cinemax has talked about it in months and the social media account for the show has been dead for almost a year.

It's weird because they refuse to talk about it when questioned. No date. No cancellation confirmation. Just silence. And Season 2 is obviously 100% finished, so it's doubly weird. I wonder if there was some legal issue we haven't heard about.

tootie923

I don't think Cinemax has talked about it in months and the social media account for the show has been dead for almost a year.

It's weird because they refuse to talk about it when questioned. No date. No cancellation confirmation. Just silence. And Season 2 is obviously 100% finished, so it's doubly weird. I wonder if there was some legal issue we haven't heard about.

I might just power through S2 and assume it's been cancelled. There doesn't appear to be much faith in this show and ratings have never been good. I feel like the premise is much better suited to a miniseries anyway. How many more people they can murder in that small town?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom