• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

1070 is replacing the 980M, and has the same TDP. The GS series' aluminum would turn red hot from the heat output, right after any plastic found on the inside had melted.

The 1060 is the 970M replacement, and absolutely will be coming in the GS series.

I want a slimmer profile so something like the GS60 design is perfect but that 1070 power looks amazing.

I guess the golden rule of laptops: Power, Form Factor, Price -> Pick 2

Dat Pascal hype.

I'm excited to see the 940m / 960m replacement parts. Surface Book 2 with ~960m power in a ~940m thermal envelope is what your old leaks promised me, k jack!

:p

j-wood

So I bought the 13inch alienware OLED...man that screen is a beatuy.

But, and this is an issue I've had with all laptops that use a QHD screen, how do you make apps like steam not look like absolute dogshit?

It's why I really wish they would stop these ultra HD screen and just use 1080p, since most of us aren't going over that res for gaming anyways (unless I'm just doing something totally wrong).

So right now my resolution is 2560 x 1440 and in windows 10 the scaling bar is set to 200%, which it says is recommended. Is this optimal? Does that windows scaling thing also apply to games?

shockdude

So I bought the 13inch alienware OLED...man that screen is a beatuy.

But, and this is an issue I've had with all laptops that use a QHD screen, how do you make apps like steam not look like absolute dogshit?

It's why I really wish they would stop these ultra HD screen and just use 1080p, since most of us aren't going over that res for gaming anyways (unless I'm just doing something totally wrong).

So right now my resolution is 2560 x 1440 and in windows 10 the scaling bar is set to 200%, which it says is recommended. Is this optimal? Does that windows scaling thing also apply to games?
200% scaling should be optimal and pixel-perfect, apps that don't properly scale 200% like Steam will be scaled as if they were on a 13" 720p screen. Any other scaling setting would look much worse.
The windows scaling should not apply to fullscreen games, and there are compatibility settings to disable scaling for games that don't handle it well.

j-wood

200% scaling should be optimal and pixel-perfect, apps that don't properly scale 200% like Steam will be scaled as if they were on a 13" 720p screen. Any other scaling setting would look much worse.
The windows scaling should not apply to fullscreen games, and there are compatibility settings to disable scaling for games that don't handle it well.

Is there any way to make steam not look like shit? If i disable scaling, it's so tiny it's impossible to read

Fjordson

Nice. Definitely think I'm going for a 1070 machine.

I'm excited to see MSI's new machines. Tbh all I need from them is basically a new GT72 dominator with an updated processor and the 1070.

Dabanton

Ok my SO is getting major pangs to play her PC games so I'm looking to get a laptop for her.

Maximum budget: $1000 maybe more depending on features.

Max size: 15 inches seems about right. In terms of weight, it will mostly be a home laptop.

Planned usage: Mostly playing games like Cities: Skylines, Sims 4, cities XL, Anno. but at highest settings. I'll probably also be using it to play Counter Strike. And a few other games.

Would prefer the fan noise to not be too obnoxious , screen res I'm thinking just 'standard' whatever that counts for nowadays. Probably have a preference for a glossy screen. And good battery life of course.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mobile 1060 in its full glory:

13_geforce_gtx_1060_mobile_pelny_uklad_trafi_do_laptopow_0_b.jpg

Only difference from the desktop card is clocks being very slightly lower.

This is the 970M replacement, and you're looking at a card that's the speed of the desktop GTX 980. Over a 2x leap in speed from the 970M.

Ok my SO is getting major pangs to play her PC games so I'm looking to get a laptop for her.

Maximum budget: $1000 maybe more depending on features.

Max size: 15 inches seems about right. In terms of weight, it will mostly be a home laptop.

Planned usage: Mostly playing games like Cities: Skylines, Sims 4, cities XL, Anno. but at highest settings. I'll probably also be using it to play Counter Strike. And a few other games.

Would prefer the fan noise to not be too obnoxious , screen res I'm thinking just 'standard' whatever that counts for nowadays. Probably have a preference for a glossy screen. And good battery life of course.

Wait a few days, for the new GPUs to be announced.

shockdude

I wonder if they'll announce the 1050 or 1040 anytime soon. High-end laptops are looking great, but there's nothing for mid-range and low-end yet.

K.Jack

The 1050 and 1040 occupy the pricing market that are most important to hold, so there's no way Nvidia leaves that segment barren for very long.

As soon as the desktop 1050 and 1040 are announced, we'll see them in laptops.

There's already specs floating out there for the 1050: 1024 shaders, 65 TMUs, 32 ROPs, 4GB GDDR5.

There's also a card out there with 1152 shaders, 192-bit. 3GB GDDR5, which will probably end up as our 1050 Ti, GTX 965M replacement.

Super pumped for these new models, an all in one mobile gaming / work laptop with no compromises. What kind of battery life improvements will we see?

You did really good. Now reap the rewards by treating yourself to a 1060 or higher!

I split the money I sold it for between a Surface 3 (needed something more portable) and a GTX 980ti build (got the 980ti for $200) :p

Despite that, I'm gonna constantly visit this thread, laptop gaming is sweet and the upcoming advances look great.

Posted my laptop in the sale thread. Thinking about using what I get towards one of the laptops with a 1070 hope they aren't ridiculous like the 980 ones were/are.

Your laptop is still worth more than $900 yo.

You think so? I don't put much thought into how much it's still worth I suppose. If I go another route maybe I'll ask for more. Where did you sell yours if I may ask and how the heck did you manage a 980ti for $200? That's almost the deal of the century lol

ss_lemonade

What kind of 4k fps will the mobile 1080 sustain at max settings in general?
Depends on the game? If the mobile versions are just slightly lower clocked versions of their bigger brothers, then I would imagine a mobile 1080 to be between a desktop 1070 and desktop 1080. Check reviews for those to get a good idea.

You think so? I don't put much thought into how much it's still worth I suppose. If I go another route maybe I'll ask for more. Where did you sell yours if I may ask and how the heck did you manage a 980ti for $200? That's almost the deal of the century lol
Well you upgraded it with a 128 GB SSD, plus it's from a good brand with a form factor not often associated with power at the price you're offering. Maybe I'm a fool and completely underestimating this, but if you have the wires, boxes, everything, etc. and it's in good condition the market might be able to get you a higher price before the new ones arrive.

I sold mine on Amazon for $1049. What happened was I bought a 980ti from a friend for $200, after he bought that and a 1070 Founder's Edition for $600 total. So I listed my laptop on Craigslist and Amazon. I got a bunch of stuff on Craigslist about it, but only a few weeks later did I wake up to an email saying my laptop sold. I got kind of lucky; the next guy listing his laptop at $1,750 made mine look like daylight robbery.

I'd honestly check your model on Amazon and eBay. Know your price and how much of a cut either site takes. With any luck your SSD upgrade alone will make you stand out. Good luck buddy!

Is it a good idea to buy an MSI laptop first thing after the countdown tomorrow or should I wait a month or so to make sure there aren't any issues to be worked out?

RowdyReverb

Hey guys, new to the thread and to the market.

Budget $800-900 max
Max size: 13", preferably < 3-4 lbs
Planned usage: Indie games, including lighter 3D games like Firewatch, Starcraft 2, or games running on Unity

Portability is really my biggest selling point, and I'm not really looking to run the latest and greatest. I was considering getting a Surface Pro 4, which can meet my budget with the education discount, but I'm not sure how to spec it, e.g. core m3 vs i5 and amount of RAM. Thank you

MSI still hasn't announced their laptops? Guess it'll come later today.

edit: wait apparently the counter still shows it's 21 more hours lmao nevermind I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

How good of a brand is Clevo for gaming laptops/reliability?

MSI sold me on their laptops with my current one, even if I have audio issues which I'll blame on me dropping the laptop one time.

br3wnor

Hey guys, quick question:

Was thinking of getting an HP Omen w/ an i7 and GTX 960m 4gb, 128 SSD + 1TB HDD for around $1,000. I just want to do some light gaming, Hearthstone, WoW, Diablo 2 and some random Steam games, not looking for crazy top of the line or to spend more than $1,000.

Was ready to pull the trigger until I saw this thread and the talk of new line of Laptop cards coming out, for what my needs are and my budget, is it worth waiting out or are a lot of these new cards going to be put into $1,200 and above budget laptops?

Thanks for advice, I really don't know much at all about laptop gaming PC's.

***NOTE: I'll be using the laptop at work as well so I want to stay under 5 pounds and 1" thick, 15" screen max, if that'll make a difference on the recommendation.

There were rumors about MSI getting special privileges. It seems like they have some kinda of exclusive going on.. MSI has always been a very expensive brand, maybe they're trying to capture a new audience.

depends on what you consider expensive I guess. Maybe they don't have cheap laptops, but when I was looking at new laptops to get to upgrade my low/mid tier gaming Asus laptop there were no better options than the MSI, at least on Amazon.

Boney

Banned
Hoy guys, nobody answered me in the general of thread and noticed this one so maybe somebody could explain this to me.

Just recently, I got a new laptop and wanted to know what ballpark it is compared to last gen and new gen since I've never really been a PC gamer. It's an Intel Core i5-6200 at 2.3 - 2.4 GHz, an Intel 520 HD video card and 8GB RAM.

Thanks!

K.Jack

Hey guys, new to the thread and to the market.

Budget $800-900 max
Max size: 13", preferably < 3-4 lbs
Planned usage: Indie games, including lighter 3D games like Firewatch, Starcraft 2, or games running on Unity

Portability is really my biggest selling point, and I'm not really looking to run the latest and greatest. I was considering getting a Surface Pro 4, which can meet my budget with the education discount, but I'm not sure how to spec it, e.g. core m3 vs i5 and amount of RAM. Thank you

I'd get the i5 SP4.

Hey guys, quick question:

Was thinking of getting an HP Omen w/ an i7 and GTX 960m 4gb, 128 SSD + 1TB HDD for around $1,000. I just want to do some light gaming, Hearthstone, WoW, Diablo 2 and some random Steam games, not looking for crazy top of the line or to spend more than $1,000.

Was ready to pull the trigger until I saw this thread and the talk of new line of Laptop cards coming out, for what my needs are and my budget, is it worth waiting out or are a lot of these new cards going to be put into $1,200 and above budget laptops?

Thanks for advice, I really don't know much at all about laptop gaming PC's.

***NOTE: I'll be using the laptop at work as well so I want to stay under 5 pounds and 1" thick, 15" screen max, if that'll make a difference on the recommendation.

The 960M successor hasn't been announced yet, so pricing is unknown.
Hoy guys, nobody answered me in the general of thread and noticed this one so maybe somebody could explain this to me.

Just recently, I got a new laptop and wanted to know what ballpark it is compared to last gen and new gen since I've never really been a PC gamer. It's an Intel Core i5-6200 at 2.3 - 2.4 GHz, an Intel 520 HD video card and 8GB RAM.

Thanks!
Any laptop with an iGPU is on the low end.

That seems really high since it doesn't even include a SSD

The desktop CPU is pushing up the price.

ss_lemonade

Would anyone have any idea why my desktop loads almost every game I have significantly faster than my laptop? When I look at specs, the only things my desktop has over my gs60 is a faster gpu (780 vs 970m) and a faster cpu (4.6ghz 3570k vs 6700hq). The laptop has it beat in RAM size, speed and even has a faster SSD, which I think shouldn't matter in this case. Games I've compared are Overwatch, Doom and Witcher 3, all 3 installed on my desktop and laptop's HDDs and all 3 take several seconds longer on my laptop when it comes to loading (getting to the main menu, loading a level, loading a save file, etc) . My desktop uses a WD blue HDD which I always thought was an average hard drive. Is it that much faster than the mechanical HDD used in the laptop?

K.Jack

Would anyone have any idea why my desktop loads almost every game I have significantly faster than my laptop? When I look at specs, the only things my desktop has over my gs60 is a faster gpu (780 vs 970m) and a faster cpu (4.6ghz 3570k vs 6700hq). The laptop has it beat in RAM size, speed and even has a faster SSD, which I think shouldn't matter in this case. Games I've compared are Overwatch, Doom and Witcher 3, all 3 installed on my desktop and laptop's HDDs and all 3 take several seconds longer on my laptop when it comes to loading (getting to the main menu, loading a level, loading a save file, etc) . My desktop uses a WD blue HDD which I always thought was an average hard drive. Is it that much faster than the mechanical HDD used in the laptop?

What are the specific HDDs? Seems clear that the desktop drive is faster.

Top Bottom