• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

coming_1.gif~original

Embargo ends at midnight EST, 6am Euro time.

So like 4-5 hours?

ss_lemonade

What are the specific HDDs? Seems clear that the desktop drive is faster.

I don't remember what exactly I have on the desktop, not near it at the moment to check. All I know is I got a WD Blue a few years ago as recommended by the PC thread here, to act as a secondary drive. The GS60 has a Hitachi HGST 7200 rpm drive. Guess I'll just try benchmarking the two, never thought of doing that.

jetsetrez

They said the 15th of august, sooooooo it looks like 9pm west coast..I wonder when the other manufacturers will show their hand
Oh shit, right when I get off work, nice. Will be playing Heroes of the Storm/Overwatch on my 2014 MacBook toaster while impatiently waiting for news! Hope we get some US prices/models as well, considering it's coming out of Gamescom.

Fjordson

MSI still hasn't announced their laptops? Guess it'll come later today.

edit: wait apparently the counter still shows it's 21 more hours lmao nevermind I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

How good of a brand is Clevo for gaming laptops/reliability?

MSI sold me on their laptops with my current one, even if I have audio issues which I'll blame on me dropping the laptop one time.
Same here. My current MSI is maybe the best laptop I've ever owned. Will be sticking with them barring really bad pricing or something else weird.

Heysoos

Wonder when the Dell XPS 15 will get updated. Want to sell my MacBook Pro Retina and pick up one of those for school. 🤔

This performance is insane. Is it too early to call it literally revolutionary for laptops? I mean, we're talking within a few percentage points of the desktop 1080, 1070, and 1060. If you told me that this year laptops would launch which offered almost the performance of the highest end desktop GPU in the same year, I would have said you were crazy.

I'm thinking about throwing down a grand plus change for a laptop with a 1060M which can nail 1080p/60 gaming to the wall. It would be um a bit of an upgrade from the 640M in my current 4-years old laptop.

Fun fact: the 1070M actually has more CUDA cores than the desktop 1070. It's a different harvested die, but more CUDA cores means it's the closest in performance to it's desktop counterpart of the 3 GPUs launching today.

Fun fact 2: the 1080M uses the same GDDR5X memory as it's desktop counterpart, clocked at the same frequency. If you have the dosh, there now exists a laptop which is suitable for 4K gaming. Try to remain calm.

Wonder when the Dell XPS 15 will get updated. Want to sell my MacBook Pro Retina and pick up one of those for school. 🤔

Possibly waiting for Kaby Lake, like the Surface range.

1060 in the XPS15 chassis would be orgasmic. The CPU will be holding it back in some games for sure :p

ss_lemonade

This performance is insane. Is it too early to call it literally revolutionary for laptops? I mean, we're talking within a few percentage points of the desktop 1080, 1070, and 1060. If you told me that this year laptops would launch which offered almost the performance of the highest end desktop GPU in the same year, I would have said you were crazy.

I'm thinking about throwing down a grand plus change for a laptop with a 1060M which can nail 1080p/60 gaming to the wall. It would be um a bit of an upgrade from the 640M in my current 4-years old laptop.

Fun fact: the 1070M actually has more CUDA cores than the desktop 1070. It's a different harvested die, but more CUDA cores means it's the closest to it's desktop counterpart of the 3 GPUs launching today.
I think its a pretty crazy leap, with the GPUs being just a stone throw's away from their big brother counterparts. I mean, a 970m for example while fast still doesn't come close to something like a non ti desktop 780. A 1060m on the other hand should come out being faster than a desktop 980 (or at least equal). That's like jumping up 2 generations lol

lol MSI jumped their own countdown clock by 12 hours or so

https://gaming.msi.com/promotion/alter-your-reality

All their models are ripe for the ogling

New Ghost with 6GB 1060m

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS63VR-6RF-Stealth-Pro.html#hero-overview

But I think the real interesting ones will be the models that have the new G-sync panels if they're actually good of course

Besides a 5ms response time, the 120 Hz refresh rate built-in panel produces up to 120 individual picture frames per second.

Some of the dominator models have it

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT73VR-6RE-Titan.html#hero-overview

Edit: Wait they're not advertising G-sync? I.E. it doesn't have G-sync?

Heysoos

Possibly waiting for Kaby Lake, like the Surface range.

1060 in the XPS15 chassis would be orgasmic. The CPU will be holding it back in some games for sure :p

Speaking of. I wonder what custom GPU the Book2 will get. Hm. If they both end up waiting for Kaby Lake I may just end up going with that one.

Is this the successor to the gs60?

Yes and if I'm reading this part right:

NEW DEFINITION OF SLIMNESS GAMING- 17.7MM THIN, WEIGHING MERELY 1.89KG

MSI engineers refine every delicate detail to strike a balance between portability and performance. MSI GS gaming series is surely the ideal choice for gamers who refuse to compromise. One shall not be able to find another gaming notebook in the world that delivers such a powerful performance within a chassis only 17.9mm thin. GS63 Stealthadopts a lightweight chassis using Mg-Li alloy in its design, making it 44% stiffer than an aluminum-only chassis and the world’s lightest gaming notebook, weighing just 1.89kg.

They managed to make it 2.2MM thinner and maybe a shade lighter. Actual specs page seems horribly off so I'll trust the actual marketing materials for now

ss_lemonade

Yes and if I'm reading this part right:

They managed to make it 2.2MM thinner and maybe a shade lighter. Actual specs page seems horribly off so I'll trust the actual marketing materials for now
Wat! That is lighter and they even packed a larger battery (8 cell 75Wh vs a 6 cell 47ish Wh?). Hmmm....

Linustechtips video states new razerblade model (the one that previously has a 970m) will have a 1060(m) if anyone was curious

Also same video states laptop cards should be within 10% performance of desktop version

HOLY CRAP

anddo0

Been debating it... just waiting for everyone's laptops to actually show up for purchase and not just spec sheets :D

Looking at Sager myself.. The 1070 seems to be the one, though I'm tempted to go 1080.

Interesting note: I configured a 17" 1070 on both Sager and xoticpc, and the Sager official site comes out to be almost $370 cheaper. It's usually the other way around (xoticpc is cheaper). Sager $1939 ( PS Matte Display with G-SYNC, clearly labeled) Vs xoticpc $2356, but why?

Kieli

The laptop gaming scene has officially changed.

The history books will note it as the day before no-M and the day after M.

Speaking of. I wonder what custom GPU the Book2 will get. Hm. If they both end up waiting for Kaby Lake I may just end up going with that one.

Whatever the successor to the 940m is I guess. 30-35w TDP range isn't a lot to work with. The old rumour was that the 1040m was going to be ~960m level power (i.e. Desktop 750ti), which would be quite good if true. But I've heard nothing about Pascal entry level stuff lately.

Linustechtips video states new razerblade model (the one that previously has a 970m) will have a 1060(m) if anyone was curious

Also same video states laptop cards should be within 10% performance of desktop version

HOLY CRAP

The 1070M has more cores than the 1070 and gets within 5-6% of the desktop version.

If you think about it, this means the laptop with 1070M can now have the same performance as last year's desktop 980 Ti.

Yeah, this is the real revolution. Laptop PC gaming is now without compromises, almost the same as desktop PC gaming, though of course still much more expensive but that will never change.

The 1070M has more cores than the 1070 and gets within 5-6% of the desktop version.

If you think about it, this means the laptop with 1070M can now have the same performance as last year's desktop 980 Ti.

Yeah, this is the real revolution. Laptop PC gaming is now without compromises, almost the same as desktop PC gaming, though of course still much more expensive but that will never change.
Yeah, unfortunately it appears if I get what I want, it's going to cost me around 3k for a 1070

CazTGG

Think i'll be fine with my laptop's 980m since it's mostly going to be used for editing/1080 gaming at best but it's nice to know these new laptops will have some serious power in them. That said, i'm curious: Does Clevo offer services to upgrade a laptop's graphics card were one wanting to upgrade it in the future, assuming the laptop is compatible?

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
torn, want a smalllll laptop so 1060, but 1070 seems like such a good deal + future proofing.

Though if the razer gets all sexy with a 14"....

ss_lemonade

Microsoft/intel/nvidia/whoever still need to get their shit together though and fix the diagonal screen tearing issue that's been plaguing certain games in fullscreen for years now. Also, are we finally getting DSR support now?

Last thing before bed but that same linustechtip video said 120 Hz gsync panels will only come in 1080p and 1440p if anyone was curious. Makes sense to be honest

Yep now is a good time to jump in

Kieli

I disagree. I did a little bit of number crunching, and the prices are roughly the same if you are starting from scratch.

The current 1070 trims are retailing for $2500 CAD, but include everything you could want like OS, monitor (obviously; but G-sync), keyboard, etc... You just have to buy the mouse.

On the other hand, if you had to start from scratch with a PC, there's so many things to buy: SSD, OS, CPU, HD, RAM, cooling, monitor, case, keyboard, mouse, motherboard, GPU, PSU.

I suppose if you have a recent build, you can salvage some stuff like the monitor and case.

But for me, my gaming PC is almost 8 years old and I don't really want to re-use most of it except perhaps the case & PSU. Everything else has to get replaced....

I think my next build will be a laptop (maybe Volta, maybe Einstein) when I stop being poor as dirt.

DINAGL.jpg

I feel this is an important question to ask, because with the gaming laptop you usually get roughly 1/3 of the GPU power you'd receive if the same amount of money was spent on a gaming tuned desktop. Allow me to explain how I reached that figure. Mobile GPUs are simply much more expensive than their desktop relatives. An aftermarket Clevo GTX 780M is currently $695, while its analogue, the GTX 680, can be found for as low as $300/ So you can build a desktop with SLI GTX 680 for the price of the single 780M equipped laptop. This example is not quite the "1/3" figure I calculated, but also factor in that the GTX 780M also cost around $850, originally.

Let that sink in a bit. If you're going to be spending the majority of your time at home anyway, tethered and sitting at a desk, the desktop setup is the much stronger and more economical choice.

I've always held that the want for a gaming laptop should be about fulfilling one of very few things: necessity, luxury, or a combination of the two. They're a good option for:

• Frequent travelers - you spend a lot of time away from home and will rarely see time in front of your desktop.
  • Students - You need something portable enough to take to class/studies and back home for holidays.
  • Casuals - A cheaper laptop to play some games on the couch, or to compliment a more powerful desktop
  • Ballers - Because you want one.

But I have good news, which is twofold. First, is that technology has advanced to the point where pretty much every laptop based on 2012 tech can game, at some level. This is mostly thanks to Intel and AMD's advances in integrated graphics power. Second, you no longer have to spend $1,000 just to get an entry level dedicated GPU, capable of 720p/30fps.

Hey there K.Jack, it seems that this section of your OP should be updated a bit...

...because the world has changed.

I disagree. I did a little bit of number crunching, and the prices are roughly the same if you are starting from scratch.

The current 1070 trims are retailing for $2500 CAD, but include everything you could want like OS, monitor (obviously; but G-sync), keyboard, etc... You just have to buy the mouse.

On the other hand, if you had to start from scratch with a PC, there's so many things to buy: SSD, OS, CPU, HD, RAM, cooling, monitor, case, keyboard, mouse, motherboard, GPU, PSU.

I suppose if you have a recent build, you can salvage some stuff like the monitor and case.

But for me, my gaming laptop is almost 8 years old and I don't really want to re-use most of it except perhaps the case & PSU. Everything else has to get replaced....

I think my next build will be a laptop (maybe Volta, maybe Einstein) when I stop being poor as dirt.

No? Go to the companion "I need a new PC!" thread and look at how much the PC you build there with a 1070 costs and compare it to the laptop launching today with 1070M. You'll probably pay at least twice as much for the laptop? Probably more if you want nice things? Something like that.

jetsetrez

Hm, so does anyone expect Dell to put a 1060M in the XPS 15? That thing is the most appealing Windows laptop hardware to me. Also, anyone think we'll get a model from anyone with a 1060M for around $1k? Lowest I see is $1200-ish from Xoticpc.

ss_lemonade

But for me, my gaming laptop is almost 8 years old and I don't really want to re-use most of it except perhaps the case & PSU. Everything else has to get replaced....

To me, it looks like one could build a 1070, maybe even a 1080 rig for the cost of a 1060 laptop.
Hm, so does anyone expect Dell to put a 1060M in the XPS 15? That thing is the most appealing Windows laptop hardware to me. Also, anyone think we'll get a model from anyone with a 1060M for around $1k? Lowest I see is $1200-ish from Xoticpc.
Probably, but I imagine it being pretty pricey too. Don't the 960m XPS 15s cost around the same as 970m machines?

No, the 1060 is the replacement for the 970m, the replacement for the 960m will be the as of yet unreleased 1050 or 1050ti (if there is one). The thermal envelope for the 1060 laptop version is the same 75w TDP as the 970m, so unless the XPS15 GPU is going to suck much more power than the last model, they can't use it.

jetsetrez

Probably, but I imagine it being pretty pricey too. Don't the 960m XPS 15s cost around the same as 970m machines?
Yeah, the 960m model is basically the same price as the lowest price 1060M model I've seen (~$1200).

Anyone think any OEM will be able to offer a 1060M machine for a cool $1k? Hoping Dell/HP/Acer/Asus can make it happen.

Am I not seen the prices for these laptops or am I going crazy?

I wish there was a fucking handy chart comparing all the specs with the different price points. I'd like to make an informed decision on which I'm getting

Edit:this seems to be it, unless I'm going crazy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IO9Y30G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Seems like fantastic value. I'm likely going with this unless someone here knows for a fact there's something better for 1500

jetsetrez

No, the 1060 is the replacement for the 970m, the replacement for the 960m will be the as of yet unreleased 1050 or 1050ti (if there is one). The thermal envelope for the 1060 laptop version is the same 75w TDP as the 970m, so unless the XPS15 GPU is going to suck much more power than the last model, they can't use it.
I see. And are 1050s not expected in the foreseeable future, too?

samtherat6

Neo Member
Am I not seen the prices for these laptops or am I going crazy?

I wish there was a fucking handy chart comparing all the specs with the different price points. I'd like to make an informed decision on which I'm getting

Edit:this seems to be it, unless I'm going crazy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IO9Y30G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Seems like fantastic value. I'm likely going with this unless someone here knows for a fact there's something better for 1500

There's a 1060 laptop for $1230 fro XOTIC PC. Seems to be the cheapest Pascal laptop. http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gamin...che=true&order=price&graphicscard=162-161-160

Top Bottom