• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Ehh two strange issues now with my MSI GT73VR.
One, the software that runs the function keys gives me several Microsoft .net errors on boot. I tried uninstalling dragon center and them reinstalling SCM first then dragon center as these are supposedly tied to each other still does it.

Worst issue right now is with HDMI/mini DVI.
If the laptop turns on or comes out of sleep mode with ANYTHING plugged into the HDMI and/or mini DVI port every USB device on the laptop starts having power failures until you disconnect the HDMI/mini DVI devices and reconnect them. It's very annoying for leaving the laptop docked and I suspect something is triggering some sort of power overload on boot/wake. I don't know if I can actually fix it as it seems like a design flaw.

Edit: Decided to buy a proper powered dock to give it a shot.

Doubleedit: That giant ass brick (Delta ADP-330AB) PSU this thing comes with is remarkably rare and expensive. Around $150 on alibaba for knockoffs and even then the 4 pin configuration MSI and Sager use is carried only by very few vendors.

YEEEEY!

This: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FKMN1BW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

powered USB dock/Hub with the monitor, ethernet and USB devices connected to it solved my on boot/wake issues where my USB devices would get all wonky.

Mik317

hey, you guys helped me with my choice a few years back (I got a Lenovo Y580 (??)) and its that time again as the battery on that is dying/dead and generally borked due to a poor Windows 10 installation on my part. That said fuck up had me looking at Macbooks prior to admitting my part in that disaster (Apple's fuckin around and general high price also doesn't help), so I am back in the market.

My Price range is about 800 to 1500, I could go a bit higher but not too much. I am very picky (shallow?) in terms of aesthetics too. I see the Sager get promoted a lot in this thread but I don't like how it looks y'know? Petty I know but it is what it is (i am willing to compromise of course). I won't need it for big time gaming extravagance as I generally just want to replay Dragons Dogma, get into PC Overwatch and perhaps get addicted to FFXIV, but my OCD refuses to allow me to buy a PC worse than my current one and yet not get the best for my buck either.

I have been looking at this ASUS (http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-gl502vm-db71.html). i also liked the look of the Zenbooks but couldn't find any online for some reason. But I am willing for any suggestions too. I want a good graphics card that can handle most I can throw at it, relativly good battery life (the Lenovo's battery life sucked IMO). Screen doesn't need to be 17 inch this time but at least 15 (preferabally so), not too bulky either.

Thanks for any help.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
hey, you guys helped me with my choice a few years back (I got a Lenovo Y580 (??)) and its that time again as the battery on that is dying/dead and generally borked due to a poor Windows 10 installation on my part. That said fuck up had me looking at Macbooks prior to admitting my part in that disaster (Apple's fuckin around and general high price also doesn't help), so I am back in the market.

My Price range is about 800 to 1500, I could go a bit higher but not too much. I am very picky (shallow?) in terms of aesthetics too. I see the Sager get promoted a lot in this thread but I don't like how it looks y'know? Petty I know but it is what it is (i am willing to compromise of course). I won't need it for big time gaming extravagance as I generally just want to replay Dragons Dogma, get into PC Overwatch and perhaps get addicted to FFXIV, but my OCD refuses to allow me to buy a PC worse than my current one and yet not get the best for my buck either.

I have been looking at this ASUS (http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-gl502vm-db71.html). i also liked the look of the Zenbooks but couldn't find any online for some reason. But I am willing for any suggestions too. I want a good graphics card that can handle most I can throw at it, relativly good battery life (the Lenovo's battery life sucked IMO). Screen doesn't need to be 17 inch this time but at least 15 (preferabally so), not too bulky either.

Thanks for any help.

What's your opinion of this? Just looks.

The orange on that ASUS would eventually drive me mad. Terrible.

Mik317

What's your opinion of this? Just looks.

The orange on that ASUS would eventually drive me mad. Terrible.

looks good, not too bulky either, didn't see that. and yeah the orange does kinda stand out (poorly) now that you mention it lol.

I was weary of MSI because I never heard of it so wasn't sure if it was legit.

edit:

a few questions

how much RAM and any other addition features I should add? Kind of a novice here

Kanra

Hi guys, laptop noob here. Would like some help with getting one.

US, budget is around 1000 give or take. Looking for a laptop for school work, some animation, and would like to play DaS1/3 and FF 14 on the go when I have free time. So anything that can run those nicely would be great

K.Jack

looks good, not too bulky either, didn't see that. and yeah the orange does kinda stand out (poorly) now that you mention it lol.

I was weary of MSI because I never heard of it so wasn't sure if it was legit.

edit:

a few questions

how much RAM and any other addition features I should add? Kind of a novice here

Only thing I'd consider is a larger SSD. The 12GB RAM should be more than enough, on top of the 6GB VRAM.

Hi guys, laptop noob here. Would like some help with getting one.

US, budget is around 1000 give or take. Looking for a laptop for school work, some animation, and would like to play DaS1/3 and FF 14 on the go when I have free time. So anything that can run those nicely would be great

Might want to wait for the GTX 1050 laptops.

j-wood

So Best Buy finally had more GS63VRs show up in stock online, and I ordered another one, and took back the original one I had.

I really think I just got a bad unit on the first one. Build quality is much better on this one, the power LED works correctly, and the bottom doesn't get NEAR as hot as the first one while gaming. The original unit I had would get damn near scalding on the bottom after playing WoW for an hour.

So all in all, much more impressed now and highly satisfied with this laptop. Since I'll just be putting games on the 5400rpm drive, I'm not going to mess with cracking this one open again to put an SSD in there.

Magnus

I'm been trying out a couple of laptops and desktops with Best Buy and am fairly certain I'd like to proceed with a gaming laptop at this point. I know the Nvidia 10XX series cards just hit and are changing buying strategies right now, so here goes -- would love some input:

Country where it will be purchased: Canada
Maximum budget: $1500 CDN
Max size (can be in screen inches, dimensions, weight): 17", but am perfectly happy with 15"
Planned usage (what kind of games or specific games it must run, if heavily gaming at all): Overwatch, WoW: Legion (strangely demanding; the engine's had a lot of upgrades over the years) - would love to be able to play both games on max settings with 45-60 fps, HD video streaming/YouTube, standard web browsing, etc.
Ideally you'll point out what resolution and settings are your standard, based off of what I've laid out in the OP: 1920x1080
Whatever else you find relevant, misc. things such as desired battery life, screen resolution, fan noise, etc: High quality screen (I've loved Dell's screens so far), decent battery life, lower fan noise

Hello folks.

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I'm looking for a relatively powerful small form factor ultrabook / 2 in 1. i7 with an nvidia card preferred. Will be used for desktop apps and light gaming.

I have been looking at Lenovo Yogas, but the models listed on their site versus what exist in stores seem to be slightly different. There's an i7 nvidia 940mx 16gb ram 15" model floating around that seems really nice. Not sure if I can do better. Trying to keep price around 1000 max.

Any suggestions outside of the lenovos?

K.Jack

I'm been trying out a couple of laptops and desktops with Best Buy and am fairly certain I'd like to proceed with a gaming laptop at this point. I know the Nvidia 10XX series cards just hit and are changing buying strategies right now, so here goes -- would love some input:

Country where it will be purchased: Canada
Maximum budget: $1500 CDN
Max size (can be in screen inches, dimensions, weight): 17", but am perfectly happy with 15"
Planned usage (what kind of games or specific games it must run, if heavily gaming at all): Overwatch, WoW: Legion (strangely demanding; the engine's had a lot of upgrades over the years) - would love to be able to play both games on max settings with 45-60 fps, HD video streaming/YouTube, standard web browsing, etc.
Ideally you'll point out what resolution and settings are your standard, based off of what I've laid out in the OP: 1920x1080
Whatever else you find relevant, misc. things such as desired battery life, screen resolution, fan noise, etc: High quality screen (I've loved Dell's screens so far), decent battery life, lower fan noise

Just looking through the $1,250-$1,650 price range on Newegg.ca, I have to recommend that, if at all possible, you wait for the GTX 1050 to hit laptops.

Hello folks.

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I'm looking for a relatively powerful small form factor ultrabook / 2 in 1. i7 with an nvidia card preferred. Will be used for desktop apps and light gaming.

I have been looking at Lenovo Yogas, but the models listed on their site versus what exist in stores seem to be slightly different. There's an i7 nvidia 940mx 16gb ram 15" model floating around that seems really nice. Not sure if I can do better. Trying to keep price around 1000 max.

Any suggestions outside of the lenovos?

I have no advice on 2-in-1s.

Yopis

Any advantage ordering from Gen Tech? If not like all the parts for desktop I will grab from Newegg.

Going with GS73vr.

Any advantage ordering from Gen Tech? If not like all the parts for desktop I will grab from Newegg.

Going with GS73vr.

Ken gives you personalized service. You're basically calling two people when you contact them but that's it as far as major advantages. If you like dealing with one guy who's very friendly compared to an entire company there's that. The free IC diamond is nice too.

I'm actually having a nightmare scenario right now with the GT73VR. The integrated graphics switch is controlled by software called SCM . Well, I removed Nahimic and killer networking because it's causing major issues with world of warcraft in terms of random FPS drops. In the process I started going through and killing all major bloatware and thought SCM was just bloatware at first.

Nope.
SCM controls all the FN keys and controls that integrated graphics card switch. So no biggie, I'll reinstall it. I

Go to the MSI website download the files and unzip them. Weird... the zip file contains a batch file called ADK that simply has setup.exe /s and another zip file. Okay then unzip the other folder now have a setup file and an extracted folder full of installers. I guess the installer here is what I'm looking for. Go and install it.

Nope, now when I reinstall it I get Microsoft .net errors out the wazoo. Oh dear?
Most of the FN keys work without .net errors except for power saving options. The SCM menu won't even come up.
Well, whatever it works right? Yeah it did, until I realized every other reboot SCM would completely stop working and if I switched to integrated graphics at any point I would be stuck on the integrated graphics and cannot switch back. Okay, I'll reinstall SCM and get my GTX 1080 turned on again. Again it worked for a while with .net errors and then SCM began not functioning again requiring a full reinstall of my software to get my discrete card back.

Sooo out of frustration I tried to:
1)Fix Microsoft .net with their tool. Nope
2)Remove dragon center, install it again then install SCM because apparently they have libraries that depend on each other and SCM needs dragon center installed first. Nope
3)SFC /scannow Nope
4) Going into windows and making sure every component of the .net framework is on. Nope.
5)Bios and firmware update for shits and giggles. Nope

At this point I am very frustrated and call MSI. They tell me to do a complete system restore, which I do and it breaks again with a windows update. Call them back, and was now told my customer service that MSI only updates drivers on their laptops for one year so they recommend I turn off the windows update service and not install windows updates on this laptop as in one year at any rate a windows update may disable some of the drivers on the laptop. This was their resolution to my problem.

WAT

Yopis

Thanks for info Specialmias.

Does the IC diamond make difference? Think I will go Gentech.

Hope that issue gets worked out for you that's super lame.

Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a new laptop and figured that since I have a job now, I might as well put some money in to make it decent.

Max budget: $1000 US
Max size: No larger than 15
Planned usage: Overwatch will probably be my most recent game being played. Would love to be able to play it at higher settings (not 4k because I don't have a 4k TV/monitor). Otherwise standard YouTube videos, web browsing, etc.

Now here's the catch. Unfortunately it has to be an HP, as I live in The Bahamas and the retailer I'm going with only sells HPs and Macs. I'm not ecstatic about it either (had a bad experince with HP), but I don't have many options, as the other retailer here inflates prices way too much. I guess I'm looking at the Pavillion or Omen. I don't know a lot about computers, so I'd appreciate any help provided.

K.Jack

Ken gives you personalized service. You're basically calling two people when you contact them but that's it as far as major advantages. If you like dealing with one guy who's very friendly compared to an entire company there's that. The free IC diamond is nice too.

I'm actually having a nightmare scenario right now with the GT73VR. The integrated graphics switch is controlled by software called SCM . Well, I removed Nahimic and killer networking because it's causing major issues with world of warcraft in terms of random FPS drops. In the process I started going through and killing all major bloatware and thought SCM was just bloatware at first.

Nope.
SCM controls all the FN keys and controls that integrated graphics card switch. So no biggie, I'll reinstall it. I

Go to the MSI website download the files and unzip them. Weird... the zip file contains a batch file called ADK that simply has setup.exe /s and another zip file. Okay then unzip the other folder now have a setup file and an extracted folder full of installers. I guess the installer here is what I'm looking for. Go and install it.

Nope, now when I reinstall it I get Microsoft .net errors out the wazoo. Oh dear?
Most of the FN keys work without .net errors except for power saving options. The SCM menu won't even come up.
Well, whatever it works right? Yeah it did, until I realized every other reboot SCM would completely stop working and if I switched to integrated graphics at any point I would be stuck on the integrated graphics and cannot switch back. Okay, I'll reinstall SCM and get my GTX 1080 turned on again. Again it worked for a while with .net errors and then SCM began not functioning again requiring a full reinstall of my software to get my discrete card back.

Sooo out of frustration I tried to:
1)Fix Microsoft .net with their tool. Nope
2)Remove dragon center, install it again then install SCM because apparently they have libraries that depend on each other and SCM needs dragon center installed first. Nope
3)SFC /scannow Nope
4) Going into windows and making sure every component of the .net framework is on. Nope.
5)Bios and firmware update for shits and giggles. Nope

At this point I am very frustrated and call MSI. They tell me to do a complete system restore, which I do and it breaks again with a windows update. Call them back, and was now told my customer service that MSI only updates drivers on their laptops for one year so they recommend I turn off the windows update service and not install windows updates on this laptop as in one year at any rate a windows update may disable some of the drivers on the laptop. This was their resolution to my problem.

WAT

Why didn't you just reinstall SCM from the disc of drivers?

Does the IC diamond make difference?
Maybe.

Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a new laptop and figured that since I have a job now, I might as well put some money in to make it decent.

Max budget: $1000 US
Max size: No larger than 15
Planned usage: Overwatch will probably be my most recent game being played. Would love to be able to play it at higher settings (not 4k because I don't have a 4k TV/monitor). Otherwise standard YouTube videos, web browsing, etc.

Now here's the catch. Unfortunately it has to be an HP, as I live in The Bahamas and the retailer I'm going with only sells HPs and Macs. I'm not ecstatic about it either (had a bad experince with HP), but I don't have many options, as the other retailer here inflates prices way too much. I guess I'm looking at the Pavillion or Omen. I don't know a lot about computers, so I'd appreciate any help provided.

Given that you have no choice in the matter, the Omen.

Why didn't you just reinstall SCM from the disc of drivers?

I don't have an optical drive around here I can hook up via USB. However, I did fix it on my own after days of dealing with customer service about this.
So the issue is some windows update I have yet to determine breaks SCM and corrupts your userdata. The installer and uninstaller doesn't touch your userdata at all so you manually have to go into %APPDATA%/local/ and find the MSI folder and nuke it from space every time you remove or modify a program or it fails to function afer uninstalling it.

Once removed I can get i to work just fine between updates.

As for IC diamond. Ehhhhhh It might help by a small amount, but the thing is these laptops get so close to the safe limit for the cards they have it certainly can't hurt.

K.Jack

When it comes to thermal compound I'd usually say "do it yourself", but with a GS73 I suppose paying for someone to do it worth the extra, since doing it yourself would require the complete extraction of the motherboard. I'm not about that life.

On a typical laptop, you instead pay $8 for your own tube, and get to it.

I don't have an optical drive around here I can hook up via USB. However, I did fix it on my own after days of dealing with customer service about this.
So the issue is some windows update I have yet to determine breaks SCM and corrupts your userdata. The installer and uninstaller doesn't touch your userdata at all so you manually have to go into %APPDATA%/local/ and find the MSI folder and nuke it from space every time you remove or modify a program or it fails to function afer uninstalling it.

Once removed I can get i to work just fine between updates.

Derp forgot the GT73 doesn't have an optical drive.

That sounds weird. SCM have never broken on me, and I keep my laptop updated.

Try installing SCM as an administrator. I've been told, and have experienced, that it can cause issues if you don't.

Yopis

Thanks kjack and specialmias. Appreciate you guys taking the time to answer.

I could grab a 1070 model up a tier. But really like the form factor.

Also got tired of waiting on Aorus. Didn't hear many good things about then anyway though

Alrus

Hey Laptop gaf, I'm on the market for a new laptop and I was wondering, if my budget is around 800-900 euros (living in Belgium), should I wait for the GTX 1050 to come out or just get a 960M laptop? When are those coming out (I'm not in too much of a hurry but still would like to upgrade relatively quickly).

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new notebook/ultrabook

Germany
max 14 inch display
Full HD
i7 would be nice
8GB
9+h battery life
light
Rocket League should run on it :D
preferably in black

Budget: 1200 EUR

Thanks for any recommendation :)

paolo11

Yo, what's your opinion about ASUS ROG GL502vs with 1070? I like to travel while playing high end games without worrying of overheating or throttling or bottleneck

Or the Aorus X7 Dt? Any reviews?

Real talk, how bad are integrated graphics nowadays?

I'm gonna be playing things like Falcom games, Assault Android Cactus, Dragon's Dogma, Last Remnant, Tales games.

Do I really need dedicated?

Thanks kjack and specialmias. Appreciate you guys taking the time to answer.

I could grab a 1070 model up a tier. But really like the form factor.

Also got tired of waiting on Aorus. Didn't hear many good things about then anyway though

Customer service with MSI left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. However, I will say Ken has been doing a good job of making up for their shortcomings.

Derp forgot the GT73 doesn't have an optical drive.

That sounds weird. SCM have never broken on me, and I keep my laptop updated.

Try installing SCM as an administrator. I've been told, and have experienced, that it can cause issues if you don't.
I did actually, I even modified the installer .bat file to make sure the damn thing would request privileges to run between installations.
My guess as someone who isn't a programmer is that whenever windows was doing an update some version of something was being changed and it didn't match the dump in the userconfig file it keeps to tell it what settings were saved last boot.

I'm gonna be playing things like Falcom games, Assault Android Cactus, Dragon's Dogma, Last Remnant, Tales games.
Dunno if this is really helpful but the integrated graphics on my GT73VR can handle world of warcraft on medium settings just fine.
Most indie games can run at least at low settings on my surface pro 3 as well. I don't think you'll run into a lot of issue with the tales games too if you search for the name of the model you're looking for and the games name. While traveling there have been some games that had weird graphical issues or would not load on the surface pro 3 like fallout 4 because of the calls it requested not being supported by the on board integrated graphics.

I got my custom case for the GT73VR from waterfield designs came in today and it's goddamn amazing for this laptop.
I had them make it open horizontally with leather and canvas. It's a lot easier to carry around in that orientation with the straps they give you. I gave the measurements wrong by around 1 inch. As a result my case is just a tiny bit too tight. But the padding on the sides is really good. I'd estimate around 1-2CM of solid padding and a really tough exterior on the outside. The bottom strap that it has also helps pull the laptop out without using a lot of force. I only wish there was a way to fit the power brick into the back pocket it comes it. In hindsight I probably could've sent them the measurements so that the power brick was included with it and I could slide it into the case. That would probably be bad if dropped and the brick broke something on the side however.

zCm3Vtj.jpg

piM842B.jpg

IWYbba1.jpg

Uf96o4H.jpg

xg9S3Ua.jpg

Dunno if this is really helpful but the integrated graphics on my GT73VR can handle world of warcraft on medium settings just fine.
Most indie games can run at least at low settings on my surface pro 3 as well. I don't think you'll run into a lot of issue with the tales games too if you search for the name of the model you're looking for and the games name. While traveling there have been some games that had weird graphical issues or would not load on the surface pro 3 like fallout 4 because of the calls it requested not being supported by the on board integrated graphics.

Which chipset is it? I've really just started looking at some of this stuff and I feel like I need someone to explain it like i'm 12. It seems most the small 13-14" models and 2 in 1s have integrated only, but if i can get a form factor I want and still get decent performance when i hook it up to my television to game, then I'll go integrated and focus on other less tangible features like trackpad feel.

BumRush

Probably an incredibly dumb question: If you connect a laptop to a TV through HDMI, is there any additional / noticeable lag on the TV?

Eh for Dragon's Dogma and Tales games I would probably say integrated wouldn't be pretty/run great but it's probably doable. I would just get something with a 1050 when they gets released.

I got my custom case for the GT73VR from waterfield designs came in today and it's goddamn amazing for this laptop.
I had them make it open horizontally with leather and canvas. It's a lot easier to carry around in that orientation with the straps they give you. I gave the measurements wrong by around 1 inch. As a result my case is just a tiny bit too tight. But the padding on the sides is really good. I'd estimate around 1-2CM of solid padding and a really tough exterior on the outside. The bottom strap that it has also helps pull the laptop out without using a lot of force. I only wish there was a way to fit the power brick into the back pocket it comes it. In hindsight I probably could've sent them the measurements so that the power brick was included with it and I could slide it into the case. That would probably be bad if dropped and the brick broke something on the side however.

Looks quite nice.

Probably an incredibly dumb question: If you connect a laptop to a TV through HDMI, is there any additional / noticeable lag on the TV?

I imagine it would have the same input lag as the tv normally has, I don't think it would add notable lag on top of what your tv already has simply because of the connection.

The problem is you don't play anything but your laptop on your laptop screen so if that has really low input lag (which I have no idea on) then playing it on the tv might feel much worse.

K.Jack

Integrated graphics constantly run into rendering issues. I can't even play Darkest Dungeon, because the Curios just show up as blocks of pixels.

Hey Laptop gaf, I'm on the market for a new laptop and I was wondering, if my budget is around 800-900 euros (living in Belgium), should I wait for the GTX 1050 to come out or just get a 960M laptop? When are those coming out (I'm not in too much of a hurry but still would like to upgrade relatively quickly).

Roger that. Any ETA?

October I've heard.
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new notebook/ultrabook

Germany
max 14 inch display
Full HD
i7 would be nice
8GB
9+h battery life
light
Rocket League should run on it :D
preferably in black

Budget: 1200 EUR

Thanks for any recommendation :)

Wait for the 1050.

Integrated graphics constantly run into rendering issues. I can't even play Darkest Dungeon, because the Curios just show up as blocks of pixels.

October I've heard.

Wait for the 1050.

So what brands are likely to have the 1050 in them anytime soon? Are they likely to come in an ultrabook form factor or are we talking "gamer" laptops?

shockdude

So what brands are likely to have the 1050 in them anytime soon? Are they likely to come in an ultrabook form factor or are we talking "gamer" laptops?
See: laptops that have a 960M.
We're talking about standard consumer laptops that happen to have a GPU in them (Dell 7559). Also includes mid-tier gamer laptops and the occasional premium ultrabook (XPS 15).

Dylan

Advice on if I should pull the trigger on this.

ASUS-GL502VT-600x600.jpg

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M , avec 3GB GDDR5
Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 à 3.50 GHz)
16 Go DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM
15.6″ (16:9) rétroéclairage LED FHD (1920×1080)
Clavier chiclet rétroéclairé

1,599.00$ Canadian money

I have 20 hours to decide o_O and then the price jumps up $300.

I am really not up on my laptop hardware these days so not sure if that's a good value. Seems like it to me.

Wondering would I be ok with playing upcoming games on this thing for the next 2-3 years? Games I'm mostly interested in are Civ 6 and Dawn of War III, but I also want to play stuff like Doom and Battlefield etc.

I'd be playing them mostly on a 22" monitor and regular 1080p Sharp TV.

Any advice? Time is ticking....

Edit: I've noticed multiple stores have marked this thing down 200-300 dollars currently, is there something I should know about?

shockdude

Edit: I've noticed multiple stores have marked this thing down 200-300 dollars currently, is there something I should know about?
Yes, there is.
The stores are trying to dump their stock of old laptops. The 10xx GPUs came out recently and are amazing; the GTX 1060 blows the 970M (and the 980M) out of the water.
Search for a laptop with a 1060 if you can.

Dylan

Yes, there is.
The stores are trying to dump their stock of old laptops. The 10xx GPUs came out recently and are amazing; the GTX 1060 blows the 970M (and the 980M) out of the water.
Search for a laptop with a 1060 if you can.

Will they be similar in price though? Keep in mind I'm only gaming at 1080, not 4k or anything fancy. Wouldn't it be smarter to snipe one of these discounted 970m laptops instead of paying for the 1060? Or will I really notice a difference?

Edit e.g. the cheapest 10xx series laptop I could find in Canada is still 2500, that's the 1070, from what I can tell, the 1060 ASUS ROG models aren't available yet..

Magnus

Yeah, I'm worried any Dell/etc. laptops that ship with a 10XX card this fall will be at $2000 or higher. I really can't do that, and need to try and stay between $1000-1500. Will 10XX-equipped laptops really be available in that range?

shockdude

Will they be similar in price though? Keep in mind I'm only gaming at 1080, not 4k or anything fancy. Wouldn't it be smarter to snipe one of these discounted 970m laptops instead of paying for the 1060? Or will I really notice a difference?

Edit e.g. the cheapest 10xx series laptop I could find in Canada is still 2500, that's the 1070, from what I can tell, the 1060 ASUS ROG models aren't available yet..

Yeah, I'm worried any Dell/etc. laptops that ship with a 10XX card this fall will be at $2000 or higher. I really can't do that, and need to try and stay between $1000-1500. Will 10XX-equipped laptops really be available in that range?
No way that anything with a 1050 starts in the $2000 range when this Asus ROG with a 1060 is $2042.
And yeah even at 1080p there will be a huge difference with a 1060 vs a 980M, let alone a 970M.

Imo $1599 is a bit too much for a 970M at the moment. If possible, wait.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
How are alienwares?

Both Asus and MSI have shit warranties in my country and are mostly sold by small shops that won't honour warranties without a legal threat.

BigDes

So I have a basic gaming laptop, a Lenovo y700 with a m385x. It's not particularly powerful but it serves

The only real problem with it is that it only has a 5400rpm HDD. Now I know I need to get a faster one but I am unsure of what to do about drivers and such.

Is there an option in Windows 10 that lets me create a USB windows install that I can plug in and load onto the new HDD?

ASUS-GL502VT-600x600.jpg

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M , avec 3GB GDDR5
Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 à 3.50 GHz)
16 Go DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM
15.6″ (16:9) rétroéclairage LED FHD (1920×1080)
Clavier chiclet rétroéclairé

1,599.00$ Canadian money

I have 20 hours to decide o_O and then the price jumps up $300.

I am really not up on my laptop hardware these days so not sure if that's a good value. Seems like it to me.

Wondering would I be ok with playing upcoming games on this thing for the next 2-3 years? Games I'm mostly interested in are Civ 6 and Dawn of War III, but I also want to play stuff like Doom and Battlefield etc.

I'd be playing them mostly on a 22" monitor and regular 1080p Sharp TV.

Any advice? Time is ticking....

Hi. I'm promoting this brand in retail. Republic of Gamers.

I hope it's fine that I give an input even though Asus gives me a paycheck every month.

I have the same product here in store, in Portugal.

It's great for the price, but be aware of the temperatures of the computer. If you're buying retail you should check if the laptop they have there for show is running hot or not.

The one I had here was burning hot. In the top quarter of the chassis, near the screen. I mean burning hot. The GPU was at 90 degrees C° and it was ridiculously hot way above what my other RoG products do.

The version with the 980m I have here now is not as hot, not even close as the one you are wanting to buy.

I'm not sure if it was a factory defect or that it simply is that hot. There's no way a 970m should be that hot specially when the 980m on the same chassis goes only to 78C°.

greatgeek

Banned
So, I need to buy a laptop for school, would like to also purchase a solid gaming device, and have no idea what to look for. I don't need a complete gaming machine, but I would like something that can effectively run those games I can't play on my PS4 or on my old non-gaming desktop; I expect that these would mostly be strategy games, like Civ 6. Ideally, I don't want to spend more than $1,000.

The more highly rated gaming laptops on Newegg that are within ny price range seem to be ok (?), but I'm not sure how to choose between them. For instance, what manufacturers should I prioritize? I would appreciate any recommendations or advice.

K.Jack

Well 1060 laptops will cost what that one does, out of sale.

The real question is whether you can wait (probably a month), for the GTX 1050 equipped versions, as that card will likely exceed the GTX 970M, while priced around what GTX 960M machines are in Canada.

How are alienwares?

Far from perfect, much better than ASUS though.

What exactly is going on with MSI warranty, where you are. Where are you, btw?

So I have a basic gaming laptop, a Lenovo y700 with a m385x. It's not particularly powerful but it serves

The only real problem with it is that it only has a 5400rpm HDD. Now I know I need to get a faster one but I am unsure of what to do about drivers and such.

Is there an option in Windows 10 that lets me create a USB windows install that I can plug in and load onto the new HDD?
Did your laptop come with any discs at all, like one that has all of the basic drivers?

Hi. I'm promoting this brand in retail. Republic of Gamers.

I hope it's fine that I give an input even though Asus gives me a paycheck every month.

I have the same product here in store, in Portugal.

It's great for the price, but be aware of the temperatures of the computer. If you're buying retail you should check if the laptop they have there for show is running hot or not.

The one I had here was burning hot. In the top quarter of the chassis, near the screen. I mean burning hot. The GPU was at 90 degrees C° and it was ridiculously hot way above what my other RoG products do.

The version with the 980m I have here now is not as hot, not even close as the one you are wanting to buy.

I'm not sure if it was a factory defect or that it simply is that hot. There's no way a 970m should be that hot specially when the 980m on the same chassis goes only to 78C°.

Every ASUS GL502 I've seen reviewed, or spoken with an owner about, runs hot. They want way too much GPU in too thin of a chassis, and the cooling solution isn't up to snuff.

The new 1060 equipped one is literally scorching in the center of the chassis, under load:

asus_heat.png~original

So, I need to buy a laptop for school, would like to also purchase a solid gaming device, and have no idea what to look for. I don't need a complete gaming machine, but I would like something that can effectively run those games I can't play on my PS4 or on my old non-gaming desktop; I expect that these would mostly be strategy games, like Civ 6. Ideally, I don't want to spend more than $1,000.

The more highly rated gaming laptops on Newegg that are within my price range seem to be ok (?), but I'm not sure how to choose between them. For instance, what manufacturers should I prioritize? I would appreciate any recommendations or advice.

This is still today's default answer, at least until the GTX 1050 laptops are out. You can easily add a cheap HDD in the empty drive bay.

Dylan

No way that anything with a 1050 starts in the $2000 range when this Asus ROG with a 1060 is $2042.
And yeah even at 1080p there will be a huge difference with a 1060 vs a 980M, let alone a 970M.

Imo $1599 is a bit too much for a 970M at the moment. If possible, wait.

Really appreciate the advice.

I didn't end up pulling the trigger. My new strategy is to wait until the christmas sales and see about a 1060 laptop then.

Top Bottom