• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Hobonichi Techo

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiri

So I finally got around to taking some Hobonichi pics now that we are halfwayh through the year - of course, due to personal info and photos, I can't show you most of the pages, but I thought I'd take a few of the other ones to give you a feel for the book!

http://imgur.com/a/sffi9

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Think I'm settling for the eastern european needlework pattern for the cover. Love that series.

I want to get a Cousin, but oh! the embroidery on the Ukrainian Flowers cover. It's gonna be a tough choice.

Sfx9IrM.jpg

Nezumi

I can't believe I'll get up at 3 in the night to order a notebook. Still not sure whether to get the simple black cover or the Memories one...

Was on the fence last year and this year, I've decided I'll be ordering one this year. Will be going for the Original (Sunday start) and a cover.

Not too crazy about the Mother 2 choices but I kinda want the Mr. Saturn sticker. I might just opt for the navy blue cover though we'll see.

Nezumi

Strange I can't seem to be able to order. When I click the order now button, it only scrolls to where the price is but there is no further button that let's me add it to the cart. Anyone else having that problem?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Strange I can't seem to be able to order. When I click the order now button, it only scrolls to where the price is but there is no further button that let's me add it to the cart. Anyone else having that problem?

Still have about 40 minutes to go before the shop opens!

Been mulling it over between covers and I'm leaning towards the Memories cover. Next year, if they offer Mother 3, I'll be all over that.

For the Porter cases, any chances those might be available later on aside from getting them second hand? I figured that since they make all sorts of bags, cases and wallets all year long that the case for the Hobonichi Techo is more similar to a small shoulder bag rather than just a planner cover.

Hilarious, the site's getting hammered while I'm trying to order my Memories bundle.

I try to add to cart but it's not showing up at all... 🙃

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Trying to order mine now. I won't be getting a new cover. They make the notebook unwieldy.

Is there a way to attach string bookmarks into the notebook itself? I guess I could sew one in. But maybe there's an easier way?

Got as far as trying to create an account but the site keeps timing out. It's like trying to buy a pair of Yeezys lol.

Oddly, I was having better luck with my phone than using the laptops here at the Apple Store, since I was able to get to the account creation page.

Guess I could try to wait for an hour or two before trying to order again but man, it's frustrating trying to even get on the site.

I think that GMT isn't affected by daylight savings even though the time in Britain is, so the time in Britain becomes GMT+1.

I am getting an internal server error every time I try proceeding to the checkout.

Holy balls that was like a war of attrition just trying to place an order.

Just now managed after reloading a bazillion times... But man, who knew it would be that hard to order a planner lol.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ordered my planner. Took a bit, though.

Nezumi

And ordered. Settled on Memories and added the memo pad set. Funny enough, after not getting through on my PC at all (got a session time out when I had gotten so far as the payment info), I tried on my mobile and rushed through the whole process without any reloading at all...

GCX

Managed to order mine. Took quite a few tries and refreshes though.

I ended up choosing the polar bear cover.

And ordered. Settled on Memories and added the memo pad set. Funny enough, after not getting through on my PC at all (got a session time out when I had gotten so far as the payment info), I tried on my mobile and rushed through the whole process without any reloading at all...

Used my phone (plus phone data) to order, which was having far better luck than me actually using the laptops + wifi at the Apple Store. Don't know why but I'll take it.

Since this is my first Hobonichi, guess I'll find out if I'll need any additional items next year. For pens, time to hit up Maido and Muji...

Nezumi

Used my phone (plus phone data) to order, which was having far better luck than me actually using the laptops + wifi at the Apple Store. Don't know why but I'll take it.

Since this is my first Hobonichi, guess I'll find out if I'll need any additional items next year. For pens, time to hit up Maido and Muji...

Jupp, I was on data too.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Order in! Hobonichi time is kind of magical. I've been so busy with other stuff, I kind of forgot that little hopeful feeling I get for the new year when I order my Hobonichi. This will be my third year using one, and my first two both went with my everywhere. I get a little charge out of thinking I am looking forward to another year filling my planner with memories and artwork and gorgeous new inks.

My Hobonichi history is Cousin (2015) -> Techo (2016) -> Cousin Avec (2017)

I enjoyed having the English-language Techo this year, and I think the price and form factor makes that the place to start for first-timers. It's easy to fill one page a day, which is great for making a journal/planner/both part of your routine. The sense of accomplishment is really nice, and I know people get discouraged when they don't feel like they are making use of enough pages.

Having started with the Cousin and being a prolific writer, I found the Techo was just too small for my needs. Not having much space influenced what I wrote - there wasn't really space to let my writing wander off into the little bit of reflection and self-revelation I got with the Cousin. The Cousin is, however, a solid chunk of paper. I carry around a decent amount of stuff in my work bag (I'm always trying to limit it, but as soon as I do, I find myself with time to work on something, but without the tools I want). The Avec edition seems like the ideal choice for me. I'm holding off on a new cover for now. I'll cave at some point, but I decided to save the money for now.

I wonder what the breakdown is between Original and Cousin users. I'm hoping we'll see an English Cousin some day, but I guess I don't know how popular the larger edition is. They put a ton of work into the English Techo - every aspect of the planner seems purposeful and designed. I love that - so the demand just may not be there to justify the time and expense. That's a theory, anyway!

I want to get a new thread up ASAP, as it's prime buying time! I'll see if I can work on something this weekend.

I love maintaining my Bagels Stationery Media Empire (TM), as I have so much fun writing up new OPs and fielding questions. However, I've been in the position before where I wanted to make a topic about something or head up a club, etc., and there was already a person who had a monopoly on whatever topic it was. That was no fun, especially if I did not care for the way they did things or wanted to try something new. So please let me know if you want in on the fun and want to try making the new topic. I asked my favorite pen/paper/pencil expert if he wanted to give it a go, and I'd still love to do it, but I don't want to have all these topics locked down, ya dig? Please let me know if you want to help out or head up the new thread!

Thanks for the reminder!

Got my 2nd Mother Hobonichi this year.

Which reminds me,I haven't used my 2016 one in months..need to start today!

Bboy AJ

If you make a new topic, remember to answer the "but what do you do with it?" No Man's Sky question with the Techos.

Gonna stick with my cover from last year. Cat cover still awesome.

It's starting to look a bit dirty to
Hough. Advice for washing

gaiages

Banned
So glad this thread got bumped a few days ago, super duper excited to get in on this next year! The Hobonichi was a little too high end for me before, and combined with the "but I suck at drawing in general/writing pretty" made me not get one for this year, but I'm certainly gonna go in this year. I think I'm going to get the sherbet cover and the... er... English one? Have to wait on my paycheck tomorrow to buy it, though.

I bought some decent gel pens already, so excited :D :D :D

(I wonder if I'm the only one in the thread that'll be careful and use pencil first to fix writing mistakes before I finalize them in pen lol)

I used to be like that, but honestly I say just use it. Most of the time, by techo looks like shit.

If you're so afraid of using her that you first draft everything first, you'll get discouraged and stop using it.

I started using planners back in...2013? Never used one before. I wanted to get a techo but it was already halfway through the year so I just got a cheap ass 2 dollar one from walmart.

I'm glad I did. I messed that thing u p really bad. But it taught me how to use it. I had never done anythign like that before in my life. Now I carry mine with me all the time. I'm constantly changing the way I use it too.

So my advice. Don't worry about stationary and special pens and rough drafts. Fuck this thing u p. Make it your bitch.

gaiages

Banned
I used to be like that, but honestly I say just use it. Most of the time, by techo looks like shit.

If you're so afraid of using her that you first draft everything first, you'll get discouraged and stop using it.

I started using planners back in...2013? Never used one before. I wanted to get a techo but it was already halfway through the year so I just got a cheap ass 2 dollar one from walmart.

I'm glad I did. I messed that thing u p really bad. But it taught me how to use it. I had never done anythign like that before in my life. Now I carry mine with me all the time. I'm constantly changing the way I use it too.

So my advice. Don't worry about stationary and special pens and rough drafts. Fuck this thing u p. Make it your bitch.

Haha! Good advice :D I do want to make this a memory book of sorts, where's the fun in not fucking it up?

I ordered it, a sherbet cover, and some cute dot stickers (cuz yay stickers). Excited for next year :3

Ended up at Muji yesterday and picked up a few items that I know I'll end up using. I'm really excited about getting this!

235D8E07-F529-4BB4-93B6-F0C6BC5705D7_zpsdrmjsafv.jpg

The candy corn looking thing are post-it tabs. Also not pictured are my blue and black pens because I have a ton of those already from Muji. The pens are 0.38 as I prefer the finer tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom